Pending TaylorMade Announcement

PostandGhost

He is not switching by choice he is switching by $$$

That`s like saying Fowler would play some vintage Top Flites if he was paid enough..it`s not only $$$ based change.

Not really, 100% the money was a big factor in Rickie deciding to play TaylorMade ball and glove. The difference between a prov and tp5 isn't much, same category of players ball. Top flight and prov don't even slightly compare except they are both golf balls

Lets also not forget about the fact that the premium balls that many Tour guys are playing are made specifically for their needs and aren't always what the masses play.

I know some of the tour guys get OEM balls from previous years and stick with them. Titleist ships out past years balls to players pretty regularly but don't think they are engineering a ball just for a certain player

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TM will market it a lot and Titleist only wins in ball counts because they give them away like candy and pay the most players. Reality is most of the top guys don't play Titleist anymore. Why consumers continue to pay $50/dozen for them is mind blowing to me.

Because the average golfer falls for marketing. I see it every day. Titleist is the "#1 used ball on Tour" (by way of overall count, of course). That works, and Titleist knows it. That's why they work so hard (aka spend money, give stuff away) to keep it that way. "Top guys" by themselves generally don't move the needle. It's when a whole bunch of Tour players use something and, by simple statistical averages...more guys playing it, equals more chances the company's product is played by a winner. That's what most average golfers notice. That "Titleist balls" win more often than not. I hate that, as I despise selling Titleist balls. But it's the truth. Although I have witnessed that changing more rapidly in the past 3-5 years than I ever have before.

Just curious, why do you despise selling Titleist balls?

I just don't think they make a good product, especially compared to the other premium balls on the market. And I really hate the arrogance of the company. But ProV1s are one of those balls that you almost "have" to stock...although I've stopped for the since about the end of summer as an experiment of sorts, and I've shifted some ProV1 users to Srixon and Taylormade.

curious, why don't you think they make a good product? I've played the tp5x and the prov1x and the tp5x wasn't as good with wedges for me and durability was an issue I noticed vs the prov1x. Both are on sale now for 35-40 and both originally $45-50. I'm looking to play the best ball and curious on your thoughts

I guess I need to clarify more. I don't think Titleist is the best ball for most people in pretty much any category they sell in, from premium down. Especially not at the prices they require us (retailers) to sell them for. Several ball companies make better balls in my opinion, and evidenced by what I see when I can get customers to switch away from them and their wallets and scores thank them. I think Srixon's lineup top to bottom is better than Titleist, same with Bridgestone. The ZStar family (Srixon) and the Tour B (Bridgestone) balls are hand's down (IMO) better than ProV1. I think the TP5 family of balls is better than the ProV1 family. I think Titleist rests on their laurels a bit too much and lives off the success of the amazing long term marketing plan they've successfully pulled off to be "the #1 ball in golf". I think Tour players are good enough to play and adjust to anything, but the average golfer will typically get better results away from a ProV1. They spin too much (on average) for most of the people (again, talking average golfers) playing them.

Of course he is switching for $$$, who wouldn't? And there could be some truth to the statement that this ball performs better for him. We all here are advocates for fitting, so this ball might fit him better and Titleist doesn't offer enough on the table to renew the contract, why not change? These guys do this for a living, of course they go where the money is especially if they know it doesn't hurt their game.

Bubba to Volvik was different of course.

Anyone else spot that iIt does look a whole lot like he is hitting a P790 in the promo video too...

No that is his Cobra F9 4 iron

But Bubba had one of his worst year playing Volvik.

not sure if this was mentioned already, as I'm not gonna sift through 22 pages, but did no one see the huge easter egg TM put in their M5/M6 reveal? The bags are orange.

[media=]

[/media]

Photos of the new bags started popping up before Christmas. They are definitely the same red-orange color as the accents on the woods.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1723536-2019-taylormade-golf-bags/

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

This isn't that big of a deal, now if somebody were a full Titleist staffer and switched to the TM ball (which would never be allowed) that would be a story.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

He is not switching by choice he is switching by $$$

That`s like saying Fowler would play some vintage Top Flites if he was paid enough..it`s not only $$$ based change.

Not really, 100% the money was a big factor in Rickie deciding to play TaylorMade ball and glove. The difference between a prov and tp5 isn't much, same category of players ball. Top flight and prov don't even slightly compare except they are both golf balls

Lets also not forget about the fact that the premium balls that many Tour guys are playing are made specifically for their needs and aren't always what the masses play.

I know some of the tour guys get OEM balls from previous years and stick with them. Titleist ships out past years balls to players pretty regularly but don't think they are engineering a ball just for a certain player

There's a bunch of conforming versions of the ProV1/X, a ton of the TP5/X, etc. Most of those are never sold at retail. You really don't think they have balls that are made that spin a little less or a little more than the retail versions in all of those? Sure, some of the Tour guys play the same ball we can buy at retail, but some also play a ball that spins a little more or a little less and is stamped slightly differently but has the same naming as those we can buy at retail.

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

just listened to Johnny Wunder's interview with rickie. i think this was almost clearly done for money, you can tell just how rickie answered questions. TMAG's Senior development engineer was on after rickie and specifically mentioned how rickie is marketable to youth specifically. basically they signed him for who knows how much specifically because he arguably moves product better than most of their full bag staffers. i also would not be surprised to see rickie switch to a tmag putter in the near future. theres zero chance puma/cobra let him go completely. the move is mainly significant because it shows someone would want to use their balls if not obligated by a full bag contract.

also mentioned in the podcast, rickie played a left dot prov1 before the switch.

Ping G420MAX graphite design tour ad mt-6s
NL 902 OS 5/7/9; S300

Haywood 48&54; S400 black onyx

This month's putter: Scotty Cameron X5.5

Srixon ZStar XV/ -ProV1x

After seeing the TM head guy ( ceo president or whatever ) on camera the email makes more sense. That guy couldn’t describe a 20 car pile up without telling you how great the cars looked before the crash and how he was positive everybody would come out happy with the “ change” since if they survived they’d obviously get new cars. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

just listened to Johnny Wunder's interview with rickie. i think this was almost clearly done for money, you can tell just how rickie answered questions. TMAG's Senior development engineer was on after rickie and specifically mentioned how rickie is marketable to youth specifically. basically they signed him for who knows how much specifically because he arguably moves product better than most of their full bag staffers. i also would not be surprised to see rickie switch to a tmag putter in the near future. theres zero chance puma/cobra let him go completely. the move is mainly significant because it shows someone would want to use their balls if not obligated by a full bag contract.

also mentioned in the podcast, rickie played a left dot prov1 before the switch.

Yep. And the left dot ball is The titleist ball to have for a high speed / spin guy. I’ve played it when I could get a sleeve. A lot like the AVX off driver and wedges. Just different dimple pattern.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I guess I need to clarify more. I don't think Titleist is the best ball for most people in pretty much any category they sell in, from premium down. Especially not at the prices they require us (retailers) to sell them for. Several ball companies make better balls in my opinion, and evidenced by what I see when I can get customers to switch away from them and their wallets and scores thank them. I think Srixon's lineup top to bottom is better than Titleist, same with Bridgestone. The ZStar family (Srixon) and the Tour B (Bridgestone) balls are hand's down (IMO) better than ProV1. I think the TP5 family of balls is better than the ProV1 family. I think Titleist rests on their laurels a bit too much and lives off the success of the amazing long term marketing plan they've successfully pulled off to be "the #1 ball in golf". I think Tour players are good enough to play and adjust to anything, but the average golfer will typically get better results away from a ProV1. They spin too much (on average) for most of the people (again, talking average golfers) playing them.

So you are essentially saying that Titleist is the 4th best ball on the market?

In my opinion, removing marketing from the equation and looking at purely the ball's performance and the tech behind them... Yes. I'm certainly not alone at this level in this kind g that. It's very common talk among us at this level (buyers, head pros, golf course operators) that Titleist is the unfortunate elephant in the room...not the best ball, but you have to sell it because they have brainwashed people with their successful decades long marketing and seeding program.

In my opinion, removing marketing from the equation and looking at purely the ball's performance and the tech behind them... Yes. I'm certainly not alone at this level in this kind g that. It's very common talk among us at this level (buyers, head pros, golf course operators) that Titleist is the unfortunate elephant in the room...not the best ball, but you have to sell it because they have brainwashed people with their successful decades long marketing and seeding program.

I’d agree with you but only on the 17 balls.

If they re-released the grey stripe (15 I think ) v1x that changes. Chrome soft x is great. Tour b RXS is great. AVX is a great ball. But I’d bet dollars to dog poop titleist knows this and the new v1x will be back to its low spin off driver , hop and stop off wedges glory. Wait and see.

Edit - I see the new ball goes on sale today and looosl like they describe the 17 balls short comings and claim to have improved it. Hope so. Also love that the grey stripe alignment is back. Much cleaner looking. Lol. ( as if that matters)

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I mean really from a retailer perspective why should they care? They should only care that people are buying balls. The dollar made from selling a Titleist ball spends just as well as a dollar made from any other ball. Sell what the people want until someone else convinces them they want something different. And by someone else I mean another ball manufacturer. Personally I don't play a Titleist ball (but oddly have a couple dozen - they are still the biz "thank you" gift of choice) but don't look down my nose at those that do. Titleist is defending their turf and has done a great job of it for a long, long time. They may get toppled eventually but still the king for now.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Id agree with you but only on the 17 balls.

If they re-released the grey stripe (15 I think ) v1x that changes. Chrome soft x is great. Tour b RXS is great. AVX is a great ball. But Id bet dollars to dog poop titleist knows this and the new v1x will be back to its low spin off driver , hop and stop off wedges glory. Wait and see.

I agree that the ProV1 in its current form HAS to change. It is WAY behind in performance to almost literally any other premium ball on the market now.

The TM switch is looking for more of a long-term impact than moving WRX'ers to the ball now. The kids who follow Rickie, wear orange shirts/pants, flat-brimmed hats and emulate him will now play the TP5 or some other TM ball (or at least that is TM's hope). THEY are the target market, more so than the 30 or 40 or 50-something lifelong Titleist player. TM is looking to make life-long TP5 players by getting them started at an early age. Golf balls are consumables, and need to be replaced much more frequently than drivers, irons and putters, as any Titleist exec will tell you. This is a long-term play by TM.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

The TM switch is looking for more of a long-term impact than moving WRX'ers to the ball now. The kids who follow Rickie, wear orange shirts/pants, flat-brimmed hats and emulate him will now play the TP5 or some other TM ball (or at least that is TM's hope). THEY are the target market, more so than the 30 or 40 or 50-something lifelong Titleist player. TM is looking to make life-long TP5 players by getting them started at an early age. Golf balls are consumables, and need to be replaced much more frequently than drivers, irons and putters, as any Titleist exec will tell you. This is a long-term play by TM.

Yes, it's the potential beginning of a long term play. More companies are starting to try and copy the years and decades long strategy Titleist used to become the #1 ball...early seeding/hooking of younger players and juniors, and things like blanketing local head pros/local golf course operators/green grass accounts with golf balls, as the local golf course is still one of the top influences in the average golfer's purchase decisions. These are the long term things Titleist did YEARS ago to get to the top, where they have been for some time now. Rickie is the potential beginning of a similar type of strategy, if TM can stick with it for the end game.

I’d agree with you but only on the 17 balls.

If they re-released the grey stripe (15 I think ) v1x that changes. Chrome soft x is great. Tour b RXS is great. AVX is a great ball. But I’d bet dollars to dog poop titleist knows this and the new v1x will be back to its low spin off driver , hop and stop off wedges glory. Wait and see.

I agree that the ProV1 in its current form HAS to change. It is WAY behind in performance to almost literally any other premium ball on the market now.

I'm all for improvement but I don't think its way behind, like I mentioned golf balls are such a personal thing. I thought the prov1x was better than the tp5x for myself and I'm not brand sided in anyway.You mention the spin is too high on the Prov's for armatures, not sure about that. I don't see many am's hitting too spinny iron shots, Tiger even prefers a spinier ball for the short game.

So this ground breaking news indeed was the ball switch by Rickie? If so, what a let down. Did TM hire a hype man to write that letter?

The letter wasn’t meant to hype the public but to generate buzz insidecthe company ranks. It’s not really different than any other ceo trying to create excitement in their company within the ranks.

So this ground breaking news indeed was the ball switch by Rickie? If so, what a let down. Did TM hire a hype man to write that letter?

well the letter was a basic internal e-mail that is pretty standard for most companies, but everyone for some reason acted like TM was about to announce they were signing tiger to a lifetime deal.

The letter wasn't meant to hype the public but to generate buzz insidecthe company ranks. It's not really different than any other ceo trying to create excitement in their company within the ranks.

Yep. Same type of internal hype "letters" are sent to us every time Callaway, Titleist, etc do something "groundbreaking". Like when Callaway signs yet another low level professional to their staff, or Titleist releases a surlyn covered Tour Soft like it's going to revolutionize the golf ball game. It's all hype, and they all do it. They just never get posted here.

The letter wasn't meant to hype the public but to generate buzz insidecthe company ranks. It's not really different than any other ceo trying to create excitement in their company within the ranks.

Yep. Same type of internal hype "letters" are sent to us every time Callaway, Titleist, etc do something "groundbreaking". Like when Callaway signs yet another low level professional to their staff, or Titleist releases a surlyn covered Tour Soft like it's going to revolutionize the golf ball game. It's all hype, and they all do it. They just never get posted here.

Exactly. If I am TaylorMade, this is a big deal to me. I just got a long time ProV1 loyalist to switch to my golf ball (and glove by default). Sure it was worded very dramatically, but that is no different than any sales person ever who lands a big account. He was excited about it. The "backlash" in here (if you want to call it that) is because we got a hold of the email and started hyping it up in our heads (and keyboards). Maybe the actual announcement was a letdown, but it has us talking about TaylorMade golf balls for 20+ pages so far...

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Is morale that bad within companies that they feel the need to hype people up like that?

Is morale that bad within companies that they feel the need to hype people up like that?

It's just marketing. There's SOOOOO much in this industry that you knida have to tell and scream to get noticed. At least with the average golfer that's doing the vast majority of the buying. I guess I've just been subjected to it so long in the industry that it's just business as usual when I see it. I certainly don't get bent out of shape by it, or take it as anything more than what it is...marketing speak. I do think the Rickie announcement is much larger than most of these types of announcements we get from most companies though.

Agree. Seeing things like this make me so glad I don’t work for a large corporation. I just can’t be that fake and not go postal at some point. It sounds exactly like the movie office space and those GD TPS reports. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree. Seeing things like this make me so glad I don't work for a large corporation. I just can't be that fake and not go postal at some point. It sounds exactly like the movie office space and those GD TPS reports. Lol.

Lol. One thing to keep in mind is that all of these "letters" (from any company...TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, etc) are sent to us...the retailers. They are intended to hype US up about the product and try to stand out from the others. They are trying to get US to buy the products to stock in our stores/proshops. If that doesn't happen, and we don't get excited to push the products, then their (the companies) sales suffer greatly. Green grass accounts are still one of the largest influencers on the consumer's buying habits...if we aren't excited about them and recommend them or even stock them, those companies feel it big time. It's why they put so much effort into selling us on the products and have reps still visiting us so often...the one's that want to sell equipment, that is.