Pending TaylorMade Announcement

PostandGhost

The bolded text from the TM website, might offer some insights into what they are buying with RF.

RICKIE FOWLER

USA

Rickie Fowler is undeniably one of the most magnetic players in the game. Beyond leading a successful young career with 8 victories, including a PLAYERS Championship, Rickie boasts a social following of over 3M people and continues to be an inspiration for golf fans young and old. As an ambassador of TaylorMade’s TP5/TP5x golf ball and Tour Preferred glove, Rickie looks to take his game—and his career—into the next gear as he chases down more wins and his first major championship.

Well duh, it wasn`t cause he was DeChambeauing his way through the PGA as of late, or ever really.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TM will market it a lot and Titleist only wins in ball counts because they give them away like candy and pay the most players. Reality is most of the top guys don't play Titleist anymore. Why consumers continue to pay $50/dozen for them is mind blowing to me.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Larger question that looms in my mind is. Why can't they make a ball that tiger will play ?

Tiger signed with Bridgestone prior to signing with TaylorMade. I don't think it's been reported anywhere how long his deal with Bridgestone is but I'm sure TaylorMade is going to do everything they can go get Tiger into a TaylorMade model when his contract is done. Tiger with the ball might be the hardest change for him to make though. He's played pretty much the exact same ball for a very long time.

I have a feeling that Bridgestone was making Tiger's ball for Nike.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm thinking a bigger impact, with a ton of built in marketing opportunities, would be for TaylorMade to sign Taylor Swift to a glove deal.

Lol.genius ! Think of the children Dave ! Like a guy in a windowless van , Taylormade carefully chooses the bait !

( I’m talking about an ice cream truck. Get your minds out of the gutter ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just checked and the industry doesn't appear to have lighted up.

Shortly after the announcement was made I saw the clouds part ways, a light from the heavens beamed down something fierce, a white dove appeared with a banner flying behind it. The banner read. WWRFD I now know what must be done...

TM will market it a lot and Titleist only wins in ball counts because they give them away like candy and pay the most players. Reality is most of the top guys don't play Titleist anymore. Why consumers continue to pay $50/dozen for them is mind blowing to me.

Because the average golfer falls for marketing. I see it every day. Titleist is the "#1 used ball on Tour" (by way of overall count, of course). That works, and Titleist knows it. That's why they work so hard (aka spend money, give stuff away) to keep it that way. "Top guys" by themselves generally don't move the needle. It's when a whole bunch of Tour players use something and, by simple statistical averages...more guys playing it, equals more chances the company's product is played by a winner. That's what most average golfers notice. That "Titleist balls" win more often than not. I hate that, as I despise selling Titleist balls. But it's the truth. Although I have witnessed that changing more rapidly in the past 3-5 years than I ever have before.

I have zero TM in my bag and I think it's a big deal. No one is going to take over titleist as #1 for awhile but being about 5% below Callaway in market share they are well in reach to take the #2 spot which is a big deal.

Rickie brings marketablilty and being able to use him to take craps at Callaway and titleist about the ball and performance goes a long way to helping grab that market share. For a company that's trying to make a name as a ball company there's no one currently not named tiger that they could have got to help this move and it opens the door for more players to do the same.

Take away the Rose sponsorship who doesn't move s lot of gear and use that money to pay several guys to a ball/glove deal brings better roi

Something in my post must have struck a nerve w/you! In the OWGR, with Rickie TM now has 6 of the top 12 playing their ball (still counting Rose since I haven't heard he switched and hey - he's not under contract and playing it) and without him 5 of the top 12. What's the big deal again? If they can't make something out of 5/12 then I don't see how 6/12 is a huge advancement. Especially when you consider the playing resume of the other 5. On a side note I notice famed Titleist staffer Jordan Spieth is down to 20th.

To many of the avg golfers they assume when a person plays a certain brand their whole bag is that brand including ball. Outside of knowing titleist as the #1 ball the assumption would be that those 5 are playing titleist. DJ and Rory are probably the only 2 in that group people stateside care about what's in their bag and tiger doesn't play their ball.

What signing Rickie does is allows them to add to their marketing of the ball because he doesn't use their clubs. Similar to how videos and commercials from titleist have players with all sorts of clubs in their bag but play their ball

The marketing campaign around Rickie and the signing will get those that like Rickie especially the kids, but Puma clothes because of Rickie to make the move to the ball because Rickie plays it.

It also gives them a big name that switched from the #1 ball in golf to our ball because it's better. They won't catch titleist because of it but they can go after Callaway and knock down their market share and stave off Bridgestone who has gained a little.

It also shows them as a ball company and like titleist the can add more players to ball only deals and play in that titleist game albeit currently at a different level

So the biggest winner here might be Puma as they're getting free advertising everytime RF is featured as related to Taylormade? Maybe a genius move by Puma.

It can’t hurt but with his exposure already I don’t thibk it will be something that significant adds to their sales. It’s definitely good exposure though

Take this announcement out back and shoot it. It came up lame...

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Ball and Glove.

Kinda dope.

Who else had such a big deal over a ball and glove? Tiger with Bridgestone is all I can think of.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

I know I’m a little late to the party here but through the first five pages (before jumping ahead) my money was on Lucy Li, ya know, since she’s a “household name” now and all.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

So has anybody found out it the OP's original post was true and that he actually DID get that email ?

Or whether his post suggesting the email was a fake the true one ? :dntknw:

If the OP really got the email, it would be very easy for him to post a screenshot. Probably should have done that in the first post.

The email is definitely real. We all received it. We being TaylorMade accounts. I'm not sure why there is uncertainty regarding the authenticity of it.

I’m not questioning the authenticity of the letter, I just don’t believe the OP really received it.

So has anybody found out it the OP's original post was true and that he actually DID get that email ?

Or whether his post suggesting the email was a fake the true one ? :dntknw:

If the OP really got the email, it would be very easy for him to post a screenshot. Probably should have done that in the first post.

The email is definitely real. We all received it. We being TaylorMade accounts. I'm not sure why there is uncertainty regarding the authenticity of it.

I’m not questioning the authenticity of the letter, I just don’t believe the OP really received it.

Ah...gotcha.

It's pretty bad we've gotten to the point where no one believes anything anymore.

That’s not true. ?

In all seriousness, though, the end game on this was, as they say on a certain news network, anti-climatic.

Ball and glove deal with a perennial under-achiever that needs to get out from under the hype-brella? Anti-climatic indeed.

Larger question that looms in my mind is. Why can't they make a ball that tiger will play ?

I actually think you'll see that when his contract with Bridgestone runs out. In talking with Bridgestone guys (they are here in GA with us), Tiger was asking a lot more than companies were wanting to pay for him when he originally signed with Bridgestone. He wasn't even anywhere near returning at that point, and was still uncertain if he even would. I remember talking to them early on and there being some worry that he might not even come back fully. If he plays this year anything like he did 2018 I don't think Bridgestone can afford him when his contract runs out. I'd look for a jump then.

Another way to look at it is that Bridgestone has either directly make his golf ball or indirectly by Nike contract for over 20 years. Given that and that Tiger does not need the money why would he switch now?

Tiger signed with Bridgestone prior to signing with TaylorMade. I don't think it's been reported anywhere how long his deal with Bridgestone is but I'm sure TaylorMade is going to do everything they can go get Tiger into a TaylorMade model when his contract is done. Tiger with the ball might be the hardest change for him to make though. He's played pretty much the exact same ball for a very long time.

I have a feeling that Bridgestone was making Tiger's ball for Nike.

It’s common knowledge actually that Bridgestone did in fact make all of Nike’s golf balls at their plant, so you are correct.

Whew, I'm glad that's settled. Now I can go back to worrying about what tees Fowler will be gaming this year.....

WHAT HIS CHANGING TEE!!! WHEN AND WHERE

but seriously it is a big deal. His going from the #1 ball on tour by choice. His been a long time Titleist ambassador and he decided to leave for something else. This isn't like alot of other product changes where players get pushed out so have to change or company's shut down so they move on. This was world number 11 making a decision on what will better his game.

For everyone saying no big deal why is this post blowing up also. Obviously has some affect on everyone

I said it before, in another post on another thread....

Enough money, and I'd sell my mother.

I like RF, I respect his game, and really respect the understanding he has of how to reach out to new markets with social media.

While I think this initial switch was a bit over-the-top over hyped....I see bigger things down the road, and I applaud TM for providing this switch opportunity.

Ain't nothing being done like it was done in the past, and if it can bring growth back to golf - rounds played, equipment sales, etc - then I'm all in.

Honest question to the class...

Will Rickie's decision to use the Taylormade ball and glove get you to try either as a result of his endorsement?

I already play it, its a great ball, but it has terrible durability. I hope the new release is better otherwise it checks all the boxes

I don't play it because of that durability issue. If they can get that up to a better level, I would have no issue switching to the ball once my seemingly endless supply of ProVs run out (thank you shop credit!).