2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pending TaylorMade Announcement

PostandGhost

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I'm curious if you or if your buddy Bryson have used the proven TruVis balls or will try the new PIX ball? It's a competitive advantage so why aren't you analytical types using them?

Seems like a "no brainer" (tongue in cheek) decision for him to use the technology and steal Bryson from Bridgestone.

Why would Rickie who has never been seen playing anything other than white ProV1 balls suddenly switch to a wild ball like this? He won't sell balls like Bryson would if he became the new face of this ball.

^I'm curious if you or if your buddy Bryson have used the proven TruVis balls or will try the new PIX ball? It's a competitive advantage so why aren't you analytical types using them?

Seems like a "no brainer" (tongue in cheek) decision for him to use the technology and steal Bryson from Bridgestone.

Why would Rickie who has never been seen playing anything other than white ProV1 balls suddenly switch to a wild ball like this? He won't sell balls like Bryson would if he became the new face of this ball.

Bryson under contract to Bridgestone so stealing him away would be hard. Bryson chose Bridgestone based on the ball in water test.

Rickie is way more marketable than Bryson and who better to market the new pix ball than someone goin, fun and likeable. The fact he has played a titleist forever is part of the ability to market Rickie and the ball as well as the company as a ball company by saying he once used the number one ball and now switched to ours. It’s an easy marketing campaign

I assume that's directed to me...

I've used the Chrome Soft with Truvis before. It's kind of neat to watch the spin on the ball when putting or chipping, but it's nothing that led to concrete ways to improve.

Plus, to me, I like a really soft ball. I used the SuperSoft since 2014, and just switched to the Maxfli SoftFli last year because they were insanely cheap. Like 1/3 cost of the Truvis, which despite being Chrome "soft" just didn't feel like I want.

I play pink or orange balls so I can quickly identify my ball. In terms of "lost balls," that's not really an issue. If anything, the Truvis was harder to find in rough than a typical white ball. And certainly harder to find than my neon pink balls. I don't use an alignment aid when I putt, so when Callaway talks about it improving alignment, I don't know if they mean for full shots or putting, so I don't really know how to quantify that advantage, if any.

I dunno, I've never really paid attention to the optical illusion of the ball looking larger or "sitting up." To me, the "confidence" of my ball being low compression, as well as being 1/3 the price, has been enough to keep me from switching to a ninja star TM ball. The Truvis I wouldn't have an issue playing if they were free to me.

I think Rickie is still more marketable than Bryson, though I have nothing to back that up. That would probably change if Bryson continues to outplay him the way he has so far in his career.

All great points, GoGoErky and rawdog. I'm a fan of Rickie and happy for him if this is true just seems like Bryson is the "in" thing/ hot topic right now over Rick.

Bryson is very marketable. He's basically the same as Rickie in that he appeals to the younger generation, wears trendy clothes (hipster). Science is a trendy topic these days. He is showing it can be done (way better performance than Rickie lately obviously) a different way and win. He's got way more TV coverage currently.

rawdog, what you were saying about the SuperSoft/ Chrome Soft and pink/orange, you're kinda proving my point that science doesn't always win. CONFIDENCE wins over science almost every time in sports. To me, I don't care if physics proves leaving the flag in improves my chances of draining a putt, I will never leave it in. Doesn't make me better but that's what makes me feel confident on the green.

rawdog, what you were saying about the SuperSoft/ Chrome Soft and pink/orange, you're kinda proving my point that science doesn't always win. CONFIDENCE wins over science almost every time in sports. To me, I don't care if physics proves leaving the flag in improves my chances of draining a putt, I will never leave it in. Doesn't make me better but that's what makes me feel confident on the green.

Confidence wins over science if there is no demonstrated benefit to the science. At least in my mind.

What is the benefit of the optical illusion of the ball looking larger? To me, I didn't notice it, having played both balls. So if the ball looking larger is supposed to help me somehow, I didn't receive the benefit of that.

As for playing the softer ball, I did leave out that the reason I switched to lower compression balls was to reduce my spin when I was going through a period of low-on-the-face (high spinning) mishits. So it did have the benefit of more distance (we can quibble over how much- I admit, I didn't measure in reality).

The colors were just a pleasant byproduct! But yeah, now the colors are ingrained into my golfing experience, and playing a white matte SoftFli might mess with my head for 5 minutes or so haha.

EDIT: I agree science doesn't always win when the benefits of making the change don't outweigh the potential losses or time spent "getting over it." For example, I am attempting to putt while looking at the hole. I already putt sidesaddle (with a short mallet, not a broomstick). I thought it would be an easy adjustment. On my practice green at home and at the local course practice green, no issue. But the first time I played a round that way, I just felt so lost for some reason. I could not, and still have not, figured out why. So, even though studies have shown taking the time to learn to putt looking at the hole, I just can't do it for some reason.

^I still mix and match balls of all brands and I really like the SuperSoft too. Like you said, the Chrome Soft feels a little dead to me too and I prefer the SS. I love the yellow/black TruVis best, the red/white is the hardest ball to find in the rough (even in the fairway). I really wonder what made them use those colors. Something about red blending into the green grass, a head scratcher for me why they didn't find that flaw in their testing.

I hope TM makes their PIX yellow/black. I'll definitely try them.

EDIT: I agree science doesn't always win when the benefits of making the change don't outweigh the potential losses or time spent "getting over it." For example, I am attempting to putt while looking at the hole. I already putt sidesaddle (with a short mallet, not a broomstick). I thought it would be an easy adjustment. On my practice green at home and at the local course practice green, no issue. But the first time I played a round that way, I just felt so lost for some reason. I could not, and still have not, figured out why. So, even though studies have shown taking the time to learn to putt looking at the hole, I just can't do it for some reason.

I know exactly what you mean. I've tried left hand low so many times, lags to short putts, mix and match back to traditional and I could never commit. Some things just gotta let the ole neurons fire off and roll with it haha.

Sorry for going off topic. Cheers

All great points, GoGoErky and rawdog. I'm a fan of Rickie and happy for him if this is true just seems like Bryson is the "in" thing/ hot topic right now over Rick.

Bryson is very marketable. He's basically the same as Rickie in that he appeals to the younger generation, wears trendy clothes (hipster). Science is a trendy topic these days. He is showing it can be done (way better performance than Rickie lately obviously) a different way and win. He's got way more TV coverage currently.

Imo Bryson isn’t like Rickie and isn’t as marketable because 1) he’s quirky and nerdy and the cool kids dont like that 2) Bryson acts like a spoiled brat and has a temper that gets displayed on course where Rickie doesn’t and that goes over better with parents showing their kids how to act and also what many would consider inappropriate for the course 3) Rickie gets it and is good for the game and Bryson hasn’t learned that yet

LOL, that is exactly what I would expect a TM tru-vis copy to look like.

Big, loud, neon ninja stars!

Ain’t it the truth. Shocked it isn’t glowing or somehow has the logos spinning around the ball with it stationary.

I’ll report back after I see the answer to this. But I’ve got a normal playing partner who is all Taylormade and all adidas. I’d bet anything he will play these and I know for a fact he made literal fun of the truvis every time he saw a person playing it. I can’t wait to get in his head around hole 11 or 12.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Imo Bryson isn’t like Rickie and isn’t as marketable because 1) he’s quirky and nerdy and the cool kids dont like that 2) Bryson acts like a spoiled brat and has a temper that gets displayed on course where Rickie doesn’t and that goes over better with parents showing their kids how to act and also what many would consider inappropriate for the course 3) Rickie gets it and is good for the game and Bryson hasn’t learned that yet

Bryson wins. That’s always marketable.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Talked to an agent today ...... not Rickie’s agent but another who has info ....... He thinks that it’s Rickie and it’s an all out switch ....... I just hope that TaylorMade doesn’t announce this during the show because that would be a BS move !!!

Well I would think it would be next week, PGA Show and Farmers Insurance Open are the same week. And I don't think it's an all out switch to TaylorMade. Cobra has just began a full advertising campaign with Rickie in commercials. Really doubt they would do that if he wasn't playing their equipment this year. Nothing we are being told from TM suggests that. All I've heard is the ball.

Talked to an agent today ...... not Rickie’s agent but another who has info ....... He thinks that it’s Rickie and it’s an all out switch ....... I just hope that TaylorMade doesn’t announce this during the show because that would be a BS move !!!

An

Well I would think it would be next week, PGA Show and Farmers Insurance Open are the same week. And I don't think it's an all out switch to TaylorMade. Cobra has just began a full advertising campaign with Rickie in commercials. Really doubt they would do that if he wasn't playing their equipment this year. Nothing we are being told from TM suggests that. All I've heard is the ball.

WHAT ABOUT THE GLOVE, TOO?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

WHAT ABOUT THE GLOVE, TOO?

And what about his rain glove? Is he switching that too? If I were him, I would go with FootJoy. They make a solid pair that’s tough to beat.

What about the Sunday ORANGE ??? Is Rickie making the switch to TM clubs and ball, while still repping Puma gear? I'd highly doubt Puma would ever approve a deal like that. Puma = Cobra. The ball is one thing.... People on TV only notice the ball when the camera zooms in on it. If all of a sudden Rickie is out there with P730's and a M5 while repping some random Adidas gear, people would would notice.

Vijay?

Vijay?

much more complicated character than can be explained ....Its a personal thing for me ..But ive always been a Vijay Fan due to some similarities i have with his upbringing .. I identify with his 'whatever it takes" approach which is born from necessity and not greed in my opinion ..

Marketable ? probably no..But not because of his alleged ( likely) indiscretions , but because of his dry closed exterior and less than jovial attitude.. Bryson on the other hand isnt close to unmarketable..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Vijay?

much more complicated character than can be explained ....Its a personal thing for me ..But ive always been a Vijay Fan due to some similarities i have with his upbringing .. I identify with his 'whatever it takes" approach which is born from necessity and not greed in my opinion ..

Marketable ? probably no..But not because of his alleged ( likely) indiscretions , but because of his dry closed exterior and less than jovial attitude.. Bryson on the other hand isnt close to unmarketable..

One reason it wouldn't be BDC is when statements are made like, "this face technology will increase your drives by 11 yards," he'll want to do his own scientific evaluation and that would shoot the whole thing down.

So it looks like start of feb 2018 Rickie resigned with cobra. There is a possibility it was only a 1 year deal but I don't think it would have been? I guess if it is a whole bag change we will find out then as he will be out of contract. He is removed from Titleist site also so I feel the ball change is a def BUT personally don't see him leaving cobra.

Did they make the announcement yet? If not, when are the supposed to?

Frankie, you're a reasonable person (sometimes). In your opinion, is Rickie moving to a TM ball/glove bigger than TW repping the TM brand?

Ball no. If the gloves are different, wide range of colors, yes. Is rickie the big deal?