2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pending TaylorMade Announcement

PostandGhost

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fleetwood iirc is still on his Nike equipment deal so signing any type of equipment deal probably costs him money. He no longer was able to get backup sets of the Nike irons so him playin tw protos is probably nothing more than replacing his Nike's while riding out the Nike club portion of the contract
The moment Nike stopped making clubs all Nike equipment deals became null and void. Can't force someone to play your clubs if you don't produce any... That's why basically everyone but Fleetwood started playing different clubs right after Nike shut down their club business.
Nike is paying their staffers their club contracts and they were told they can play whatever they want but if they sign a deal then they lose a percentage of their contract based on the amount they sign for with the new company. It's why most of the Nike guys with big contracts are playing whatever they want like kopeka, fleetwood, Molinari, finau before he signed. Rory with Callaway before he signed at TM.
This doesn't mean they lose money when signing with another company. They're just getting a part of that money from somewhere else. Plus, if you look at where Fleetwood stood when he signed with nike compared to where he stands now, he should be able to get more from a new company to play their clubs than he loses from not getting paid that much by Nike any more.
"Light up" probably refers to a brightly colored ball imo.
This would actually make sense... It would also kind of turn this whole announcement into the biggest dad joke ever..

If it is referencing a ball, it has to be the new TP5 PIX. They have not debut it yet, and seems to fit perfectly with that.

As long as we're throwing out random names at this point, I'm going with Lucy Li.

It's hard to believe that her parents could have made this Apple commercial mistake if they had any interest in her remaining an amateur. She petitions the LPGA for an age exemption based on the lost amateur status leaving her nowhere to compete and she shows up as the future of American women's golf with a full TM deal.

Not currently a huge TM presence in women's golf; it would be a splashy entry into a different segment for them at very little cost.

I'm a Lucy fan but it would be a bigger splash if she signed with Baskins Robbins.

Paige Spiranac?

This could be as she is using a taylormade driver in her last IG post

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

Fleetwood iirc is still on his Nike equipment deal so signing any type of equipment deal probably costs him money. He no longer was able to get backup sets of the Nike irons so him playin tw protos is probably nothing more than replacing his Nike's while riding out the Nike club portion of the contract

The moment Nike stopped making clubs all Nike equipment deals became null and void. Can't force someone to play your clubs if you don't produce any...

That's why basically everyone but Fleetwood started playing different clubs right after Nike shut down their club business.

Nike is paying their staffers their club contracts and they were told they can play whatever they want but if they sign a deal then they lose a percentage of their contract based on the amount they sign for with the new company. It's why most of the Nike guys with big contracts are playing whatever they want like kopeka, fleetwood, Molinari, finau before he signed. Rory with Callaway before he signed at TM.

This doesn't mean they lose money when signing with another company. They're just getting a part of that money from somewhere else. Plus, if you look at where Fleetwood stood when he signed with nike compared to where he stands now, he should be able to get more from a new company to play their clubs than he loses from not getting paid that much by Nike any more.

"Light up" probably refers to a brightly colored ball imo.

This would actually make sense... It would also kind of turn this whole announcement into the biggest dad joke ever..

Except the sponsorship market is changing and unless one is a tiger, Rory, D.J. and maybe 1-2 others the big deals aren’t there and places like TM, Titleist, Ping require full bag or almost a full bag. Fleetwood isn’t on that level yet.

Bill Freakin Murray!! Maybe

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before

TM already has Tiger Woods. There is no one, or even a group of people, on the face of the planet, past or present, that would "enhance the impact of our brand like never before" more than Tiger Woods. Even if Rickie, Brooks, Champ, Moliwood, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and/or Steph Curry were the new additions to the athlete team, there is no way I can picture them "enhancing the impact of our brand" more than TW. Including "never before" is either a huge overstatement (and a kick in the balls to Tiger Woods, IMO) or it's not referring to a person at all...

I'll agree with the people that say that this sounds like word play to announce their new ball. "New addition to our athlete team" implies a person, but it could just be a way to say that there will be new equipment (balls) available to the athlete team. "Light up the industry", as suggested previously in this thread, would refer to the design of the ball to enhance visibility. "Enhance the impact" is probably a play on words to indicate that the impact conditions of the ball are a lot more optimal than anything TM has previously released.

Regardless, TM execs are probably just reading this thread with big smiles on their faces knowing full well that there is no such thing as bad press...

I'd be surprised if their announcement was received with more than a "meh..." besides since TM isn't going to be a the PGA Merchandise show next week, they are probably just using their "marketing genius" to sway attention on them in the lead up. What better way to garner attention to the brand then to let a leak out!!!

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before

TM already has Tiger Woods. There is no one, or even a group of people, on the face of the planet, past or present, that would "enhance the impact of our brand like never before" more than Tiger Woods. Even if Rickie, Brooks, Champ, Moliwood, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and/or Steph Curry were the new additions to the athlete team, there is no way I can picture them "enhancing the impact of our brand" more than TW. Including "never before" is either a huge overstatement (and a kick in the balls to Tiger Woods, IMO) or it's not referring to a person at all...

I'll agree with the people that say that this sounds like word play to announce their new ball. "New addition to our athlete team" implies a person, but it could just be a way to say that there will be new equipment (balls) available to the athlete team. "Light up the industry", as suggested previously in this thread, would refer to the design of the ball to enhance visibility. "Enhance the impact" is probably a play on words to indicate that the impact conditions of the ball are a lot more optimal than anything TM has previously released.

Regardless, TM execs are probably just reading this thread with big smiles on their faces knowing full well that there is no such thing as bad press...

It’s not like they or any company is going to come out and say “hey we have a meh announcement about our next sponsored player or product” and if there was a marketing person who approached the execs with that kind of pitch they wouldn’t be in s job for much longer. It’s about creating buzz and even if it’s overhyped it’s part of the strategy to create buzz.

All those that said Ricky Fowler switching to the ball are correct, I know it as a fact for whatever it’s worth. I play the 5X ball and love it, but Ricky is 30 years old now and it’s not like he’s leaving Cobra so I’m not sure of the point in sending out a company email, but I’m sure it’s just to build up a buzz about it.

If it is indeed Rickie who is going to be signed to a ball/glove deal, I wonder if that would include him sporting a TP5/TP5X logo on his clothing or hat? That might be cause for a mass communication about impacting the brand/industry. I could picture this being significant example of a popular player endorsing logos of competing OEMs (something like Cobra on the front of his hat, Farmers/TP5 logos on the sides, Puma on the back).

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

If it is indeed Rickie who is going to be signed to a ball/glove deal, I wonder if that would include him sporting a TP5/TP5X logo on his clothing or hat? That might be cause for a mass communication about impacting the brand/industry. I could picture this being significant example of a popular player endorsing logos of competing OEMs (something like Cobra on the front of his hat, Farmers/TP5 logos on the sides, Puma on the back).

It could be part of his contract but he doesn’t have any titleist/prov logos now other than on the glove.

Again, for everyone seemingly ignoring the first post:

The announcement is about...

“A NEW ADDITION TO OUR ATHLETE TEAM”.

It Says nothing about a new product.

Well signing someone to the team without any equipment associated to said signing doesn’t make sense.

Maybe TM is signing Ty Webb.

I'm just going to put this one to bed right now. I seriously doubt it, but TM - if you want to give me a set of the new Tiger irons, I'm all ears! Won't even cost you anything to have me put them in play...

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

This is a fun thread and since we’re all guessing anyways im going with the non-golfer vote. Outside Tiger I can’t see anyone making that big of impact, even if that’s Rickie switching balls.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

" a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

And OP says its Rickie Fowler? LMAO!! Never had a greater laugh!!

I agree with you, I think this is a laugh. The only reason I asked if it is Rickie is because that's the only guy who I know that will be playing TaylorMade (ball) this year and hasn't been previously announced. If you know of someone else that will be on the TaylorMade staff this year that hasn't announced yet other than Rickie, I'm all ears. The way that the email is phrased, I think it's Bruce Jenner.

There is no name to come up with because no golfer on this planet aside from Tiger can light up the golf industry as the CEO implied from his ridiculous email. So therefore its inane to try and come up with a name.

Every major star on the PGA side is locked in as discussed in this thread. Who on the men’s side would be bigger than DJ or Tiger recently? Euro? They have Rory. Brooks is on a new set of Mizzys. Fleetwood/Zachwould light up the world more than any of these guys? Sorry, no.

I’m going with LPGA, maybe Lexi Thompson. The most marketable player in the top 10 (great game, social media presence, resonates with younger golfers). Let’s face it, she’s American and has personality for days. Timing? LPGA season really hasn’t started, so this is a great time to make a splash. PGA events are up and running, this site is on every rumor or equipment sighting out there.

Who’s more marketable on that tour than she is?

Disclaimer: I’m Asian, there are a few on the LPGA that are probably marketable in different regions, but let’s face it, someone like Lexi would love the needle.

She might, but I can't see any LPGA player moving the needle. In fact, TM must be grasping to think that any one player playing their equipment is going to move the needle.

Outside of Tiger, Rickie is the most marketable player on Tour. Rickie might move the needle a touch, but TaylorMade will have more success selling their new ball if it performs as good as it's expected to than signing Rickie.

So the USA Tour = the whole of the golf industry? Because TM CEO implied 'the golf industry all over the world'

You think golf fans in Europe, Asia, Middle-east etc tune in to watch Rickie? He is a nobody outside USA, scratch that he is a nobody in USA to non golf fans. No one cares about him in Europe not a single person. So explain how he is going to light up the golf world?

For anyone that complains about Taylormade's marketing, look at how much buzz this one email is getting in the golf world.

But it’s negative buzz for folks with brains.

I could never play mostly TM for this very reason. Id look at my clubs and shake my head like lee Trevino shook his head at happy Gilmore.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe TM is signing Ty Webb.

I'm just going to put this one to bed right now. I seriously doubt it, but TM - if you want to give me a set of the new Tiger irons, I'm all ears! Won't even cost you anything to have me put them in play...

And there you have it folks. Straight from the horses mouth. Ty Webb says put up or shut up !!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

" a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

And OP says its Rickie Fowler? LMAO!! Never had a greater laugh!!

I agree with you, I think this is a laugh. The only reason I asked if it is Rickie is because that's the only guy who I know that will be playing TaylorMade (ball) this year and hasn't been previously announced. If you know of someone else that will be on the TaylorMade staff this year that hasn't announced yet other than Rickie, I'm all ears. The way that the email is phrased, I think it's Bruce Jenner.

There is no name to come up with because no golfer on this planet aside from Tiger can light up the golf industry as the CEO implied from his ridiculous email. So therefore its inane to try and come up with a name.

Please read the question again, that's not what I asked... I'm not asking for a name "that can light up the golf industry". You're confused. I'm just asking for any name of a person that will be playing a TaylorMade product this year that has not been announced official announced yet, besides Rickie Fowler of course. It's a simple process of elimination.

With all the PC s*** going on in the world today, and the way they're talking about it, I think it has to be a female

This is an awful sentiment. TaylorMade signing a female golfer would be wonderful for the industry as a whole, especially if she was someone who could light up a room. My dream is to play golf with my daughter when she gets older and her having a role model she sees on advertisements with Tiger, Rory and other giants would be incredible. The US population is 51% female (as of 2010) and that's a huge potential market to "grow the game."

Advertising to and including women in sports isn't PC. It's overdue.