Pending TaylorMade Announcement

PostandGhost

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the letter too, and honestly just dismissed it as marketing hype for the Fowler move to the new TruVis competitor TP5. But I guess upon actually thinking about it, it does seem like it's more than that. Although...the reasoning behind the new patterned ball is that it's supposed to be much easier to see in all types of light, so...maybe we are back to the Fowler announcement afterall.

Β 

I think you are onto something. "Light up the industry like never before" is not in terms of starpower, but a uniquely covered ball.

Β 

I still despise TaylorMade.

Β 

Honestly, being in the golf business and how they used to be toward green grass accounts, I did too. But I've actually grown to like them (as a company) in the past few years as I've slowly started to trickle their equipment back into our proshop. This will be the first year I'm fully supporting them in the shop. I've been a Callaway staff account for several years, but not this year due to the Epic Flash.

Β 

But yeah, I really think this announcement is going to be using Fowler as the face of the new ball. Will be the first time a pro has signed specifically to play a visual tech/aid ball on Tour, I believe.

Β 

While not exactly the same Bubba signed with Volvik so he could have a colored ball. We know how that turned out.

I received the letter too, and honestly just dismissed it as marketing hype for the Fowler move to the new TruVis competitor TP5. But I guess upon actually thinking about it, it does seem like it's more than that. Although...the reasoning behind the new patterned ball is that it's supposed to be much easier to see in all types of light, so...maybe we are back to the Fowler announcement afterall.

Β 

I think you are onto something. "Light up the industry like never before" is not in terms of starpower, but a uniquely covered ball.

Β 

Β 

Honestly, being in the golf business and how they used to be toward green grass accounts, I did too. But I've actually grown to like them (as a company) in the past few years as I've slowly started to trickle their equipment back into our proshop. This will be the first year I'm fully supporting them in the shop. I've been a Callaway staff account for several years, but not this year due to the Epic Flash.

Β 

But yeah, I really think this announcement is going to be using Fowler as the face of the new ball. Will be the first time a pro has signed specifically to play a visual tech/aid ball on Tour, I believe.

Β 

Maybe the first time in a long time...but, both Hale Irwin and Wayne Levi "signed" to play the orange Wilson ProStaff back in the early 80's.

Β 

TV hated it, because you couldn't see them well enough. Maybe with today's technology, it will be different, but I doubt it.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Maybe the first time in a long time...but, both Hale Irwin and Wayne Levi "signed" to play the orange Wilson ProStaff back in the early 80's.

Β 

TV hated it, because you couldn't see them well enough. Maybe with today's technology, it will be different, but I doubt it.

Β 

Yeah, I'm just referring to printed visual patterns on the balls themselves. But yes, pros have signed to play hi-vis colored balls before.

I received a letter/email from David Abeles at TaylorMade the other day. This is what he said:

Β 

"In addition to our continued product leadership, we are preparing to make one of the most significant announcements in company history - a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before. Please stay tuned. You will hear from us in a couple of weeks!

Β 

We believe 2019 will be our best year yet. We are inspired by the momentum in our industry and all of the work being done across channels to drive participation in golf. We are proud of the progress we are making in our business together, bullish about our growth plans for 2019, and looking forward to an early spring with strong demand for our new products.

Β 

On behalf of the entire TaylorMade Golf team, we thank you for your continued dedication to our partnership and for all that you do to make this possible.

Β 

Sincerely,

Β 

Β 

David Abeles

CEO TaylorMade Golf"

Β 

Β 

So, my question is, will this be the Rickie Fowler ball/glove deal announcement or is this something else? Obviously the Rickie deal is the second worst kept secret behind Rose/Honma, but I don't think he is going to be playing their new TruVis copycat ball until later in the spring, so why announce it now? And that announcement certainly doesn't fit or live up to the type of hype insinuated in this letter. I love Rick and wish him the best but he wouldn't even be the third most successful player on their tour staff. Talk about disappointing if that's the real announcement.

Β 

Which leads me to my second question... are they seriously going to make a big announcement during the PGA Show, which they are not attending? What a joke. Hopefully they postpone it until well after the show.

Β 

I'm interested to hear what the truth is behind this "most significant announcement".

Β 

I would buy a set tomorrow if this is how they announced a Hosung Choi signing....

I know who it is but cannot say - this is going to be massive

Β 

I’m just not buying into the hype. They have the most popular player in history, the world’s #1 for a good portion of the last 2 years, Europe’s most popular player, and Jason Day. Who could be more important or significant than that? Answer is nobody. This’ll be a bust.

I've updated the clickbait title until there's actual news.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*,Β MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Fleetwood iirc is still on his Nike equipment deal so signing any type of equipment deal probably costs him money. He no longer was able to get backup sets of the Nike irons so him playin tw protos is probably nothing more than replacing his Nike's while riding out the Nike club portion of the contract

Β 

The moment Nike stopped making clubs all Nike equipment deals became null and void. Can't force someone to play your clubs if you don't produce any...

That's why basically everyone but Fleetwood started playing different clubs right after Nike shut down their club business.

Β 

Β 

As to the rumors, I think there's two options that fit the description

Β 

1) They signed both Fleetwood and Molinari. The official announcement will take near the Hollywood sign, only TM will replace it with a Molliwood sign in the night before.

Β 

2) They re-signed Justin Rose. The announcement will be accompanied by a video in which Rosie tearfully explains how leaving TM was the biggest mistake he ever made and that not even a $30,000 set of clubs can make him as happy and successful as his good old TM blades can.

Β 

Ok. First off. Molinari is playing callaway as of a week or so ago. Maybe he’s just testing ?

Β 

2nd off Rose left because TM wouldn’t re-up his contract. Not to chase a bigger paycheck. They didn’t want to keep him , or at least didn’t want to pay him to stay.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Anybody know the sale price of TM last time ?

Β 

Β 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7xΒ 

TM Sim2 max tour Β 16* GD Β ADHD 8xΒ 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5TΒ 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70Β 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125txΒ 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlockΒ 

Will lose all respect for Fowler if he goes to play that.

Because golf is serious business? :-S

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |Β  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

As long as we’re throwing out random names at this point, I’m going with Lucy Li.

Β 

It’s hard to believe that her parents could have made this Apple commercial mistake if they had any interest in her remaining an amateur. She petitions the LPGA for an age exemption based on the lost amateur status leaving her nowhere to compete and she shows up as the future of American women’s golf with a full TM deal.

Β 

Not currently a huge TM presence in women’s golf; it would be a splashy entry into a different segment for them at very little cost.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 MaxΒ -Β 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid: Β Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56*Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter: Β Directed Force 2.1
Ball: Β Callaway Chrome Soft

As long as we’re throwing out random names at this point, I’m going with Lucy Li.

Β 

It’s hard to believe that her parents could have made this Apple commercial mistake if they had any interest in her remaining an amateur. She petitions the LPGA for an age exemption based on the lost amateur status leaving her nowhere to compete and she shows up as the future of American women’s golf with a full TM deal.

Β 

Not currently a huge TM presence in women’s golf; it would be a splashy entry into a different segment for them at very little cost.

Β 

That’s a great guess. It has to be something β€œdifferent” from Fleetwood, Fowler, etc.

Have we seen pics of the new ball?

Β 

it's actually been posted in another thread. Just saw it.

Β 

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1701660-new-tp5-and-tp5x/page__st__180#entry18466966

Β 

That’s a special order ball I hope, not the Truvis competition

Ping G410 LSTΒ 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How is Cobra golf doing as a company? I read it as an over-reaction so I am over-reacting in a possible scenario.

Β 

Is it possible that Cobra golf is struggling and TM is acquiring them? "a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

Β 

Would make sense for Rickie to come over on a ball deal and then "enhance the impact of our brand" they, as in TM, will have a single length club option in Bryson being an athlete?

Β 

Again, their email sounds like they are possibly over-reacting to their announcement so I am just trying to think of what would be worth over-reacting to.

Β 

Nope. If anything it's somebody acquiring TM. They are having issues making payroll at times for the higher end contracts. At least one rumored quarter anyway.

Β 

Maybe Michael Jordan buys Taylor Made.

Fleetwood iirc is still on his Nike equipment deal so signing any type of equipment deal probably costs him money. He no longer was able to get backup sets of the Nike irons so him playin tw protos is probably nothing more than replacing his Nike's while riding out the Nike club portion of the contract
The moment Nike stopped making clubs all Nike equipment deals became null and void. Can't force someone to play your clubs if you don't produce any... That's why basically everyone but Fleetwood started playing different clubs right after Nike shut down their club business. As to the rumors, I think there's two options that fit the description 1) They signed both Fleetwood and Molinari. The official announcement will take near the Hollywood sign, only TM will replace it with a Molliwood sign in the night before. 2) They re-signed Justin Rose. The announcement will be accompanied by a video in which Rosie tearfully explains how leaving TM was the biggest mistake he ever made and that not even a $30,000 set of clubs can make him as happy and successful as his good old TM blades can.
Ok. First off. Molinari is playing callaway as of a week or so ago. Maybe he’s just testing ?

Β 

Yep, Franky just testing,

Β 

Molinari plans to continue using the clubs without compensation but left the door ajar to the possibility of his free agency status changing down the road.

β€œI’m just testing and don’t have a deal so far,” he said. β€œBut we’ll see what happens.”

Β 

Full article

Β 

https://www.golf.com...y-clubs-hawaii/

Contents of bag subject to change...frequentlyΒ 

Will lose all respect for Fowler if he goes to play that.

Β 

Get ready to lose respect for him then I guess.

Β 

Have we seen pics of the new ball?

Β 

it's actually been posted in another thread. Just saw it.

Β 

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1701660-new-tp5-and-tp5x/page__st__180#entry18466966

Β 

Thats a special order ball I hope, not the Truvis competition

Β 

The orange color is the initial launch color.

Β 

Β 

Β 

That’s a great guess. It has to be something β€œdifferent” from Fleetwood, Fowler, etc.

Β 

Except there is this tournament, the inaugural Augusta National Women's Amateur, that looks to be more important than a TM contract. Anyone who really wants to sign her can wait, it's not going to be silly Michelle Wie money anyway.

How is Cobra golf doing as a company? I read it as an over-reaction so I am over-reacting in a possible scenario.

Β 

Is it possible that Cobra golf is struggling and TM is acquiring them? "a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

Β 

Would make sense for Rickie to come over on a ball deal and then "enhance the impact of our brand" they, as in TM, will have a single length club option in Bryson being an athlete?

Β 

Again, their email sounds like they are possibly over-reacting to their announcement so I am just trying to think of what would be worth over-reacting to.

Β 

Nope. If anything it's somebody acquiring TM. They are having issues making payroll at times for the higher end contracts. At least one rumored quarter anyway.

Β 

Maybe Michael Jordan buys Taylor Made.

Β 

Maybe tiger did *shrugs shoulders*

It is not Rickie, it is the other Cobra guy, Bryson. He will get a full deal as part of the upcoming "Leave the Tinkering to Taylormade" campaign. In return for an unprecedented amount of $$$, he will be required to play a standard club-set, and to otherwise play, act, dress and talk like a normal golfer when televised or interviewed.