Pending TaylorMade Announcement

PostandGhost

How is Cobra golf doing as a company? I read it as an over-reaction so I am over-reacting in a possible scenario.

Is it possible that Cobra golf is struggling and TM is acquiring them? "a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

Would make sense for Rickie to come over on a ball deal and then "enhance the impact of our brand" they, as in TM, will have a single length club option in Bryson being an athlete?

Again, their email sounds like they are possibly over-reacting to their announcement so I am just trying to think of what would be worth over-reacting to.

Agreed. To match the potential hyperbole of the internal mail, it needs to be an organization or a non-golf personality/personalities.

Or we've totally underappreciated the "impact" of two (Fowler/Fleetwood) perfectly fine, but hardly generational-talent fellas.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Cobra golf doing as a company? I read it as an over-reaction so I am over-reacting in a possible scenario.

Is it possible that Cobra golf is struggling and TM is acquiring them? "a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

Would make sense for Rickie to come over on a ball deal and then "enhance the impact of our brand" they, as in TM, will have a single length club option in Bryson being an athlete?

Again, their email sounds like they are possibly over-reacting to their announcement so I am just trying to think of what would be worth over-reacting to.

I don't have huge knowledge but just quickly looking: Cobra is owned by Puma. Puma is a 7B company that's held by a holding group that currently holds about 25B in assets and has revenue of 15B per year. It's probably a similar situation to Mizuno and Wilson golf. Maybe they struggle in sales relative to the big guys, but they can probably ride out the market due to parent companies have lots of cash they could toss at them if need be.

Rickie is pretty much the Cobra/Puma golden boy of the PGA Tour. I don't see him going to TM for a full deal unless the paycheck was massive...Which seems like TM's new owner isn't to keen on giving out (see JR leaving for Honma).

This has to be TM over-hypering.

If this is to officially announce Rickie using the TP5 that's such a joke of an email. Nobody but the most hardcore WRX'ers probably even know/care what ball Rickie uses. Plus, I've heard he uses a modified ProV anyway, so... who cares.

As far as I'm concerned, there can't be anything bigger than signing Tiger to woods, irons and wedges. Out of the current top 10 of OWGR, TM has 3 staffers listed on their website. BK is world #2 right now, but he just put 919 Tours in the bag... and I just don't see him moving away from his vokey's and SC putter. It's not earth shattering if they signed him to a metal wood deal... He already uses TM Dr and 3w.

Maybe "officially" signing Molinari as a big name staffer? He's already basically fully TM except putter, which I believe he has a deal with Betti for. All the rest of the top 10 is spoken for. Only others I could think of would be Fleetwood going full bag, including putter. Still...not the biggest news ever, nor game changing.

There are a lot of guys on Tour who have their own version of the OEM ball offering that is tailored for them. Callaway does it for Phil and other players. There are multiple versions of the ProV1 (left dot, plus. etc) and there are 5 versions of each of the TP5 and TP5x that are on the USGA conforming list (DJ has his own variation and others do as well). TaylorMade could very well have created something specifically for Rickie that is a variation of the standard offering.

I would agree that if that email was about Rickie's ball signing then that is overkill. I also wonder what list you have to be on to get that email ha.

Yeah that's common GolfWRX knowledge, but not "layman" knowledge. I just don't see a Rickie ball deal as being anything other than ho-hum. Titleist still has probably 50%+ of all professional tour players using their ball. Losing 1 guy isn't going to wreck the Titleist brand and suddenly propel TM forward.

Titleist and Callaway both lost some market share as of October and both TM and Bridgestone gained some. While it’s onky about 1% there’s a swing and the avg golf fan who buys prov because of advertising if they see someone like Rickie and/or other nonpros not using Tm clubs switching to a different ball it will get some to switch especially fans of rickies.

Not sure how much the tw commercial Bridgestone ran with tw and the birds of people going after the #1 ball had on sales but I’m sure it didn’t hurt. TM can do that with Rickie and have success not to mention with Callaway not having anyone outside of their staff and only a small portion of their staff playing chrome soft it puts TM in a different category and with their ownership looking to change things up will be a wrench thrown into the golf market imo

Anyway TM found a way to get Phil away from Callaway?

Yes....When they put him in the ground.

Lol. Phil playing Tm. When hell freezes over. #1. They can't afford him now. #2 why ? He has the best money can buy catering to him.

Thought he played Callaway?

Well Nike quit making clubs. So callaway went to #1.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nope. If anything it’s somebody acquiring TM. They are having issues making payroll at times for the higher end contracts. At least one rumored quarter anyway.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I say Cameron champ...longest player on pga tour playing their ball...could boost tmade ball sales

The majority of golfers don't even know who Cameron Champ is...

I didn't watch the Sanders tournament. Didn't know he even existed until the Sentry when the announcers were slobbering at him. I watch a lot of golf. I had no clue this person was alive. If it's him, nothing monumental about it.

They use the wording "athlete." Granted, many golfers are now, what one would call an "athlete," but this is most likely a non-golfer. "Light it up," is a basketball term. Who's been lighting it up the past few years, Steph Curry.

Out of all the things so far, this kind of makes the most sense.

TM could go on and on about how they are "breaking boundaries" and using other buzzwords due to signing a non-golf sport pro to a contract deal or something like that.

Would this be a first in history? I know there's other guys like Justin Timberlake, Kenny G, MJ, Phelps, etc who are very good golfers and get significant coverage at the Pebble pro am.

They finally landed Johnny Miller

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I say Cameron champ...longest player on pga tour playing their ball...could boost tmade ball sales

I didn't watch the Sanders tournament. Didn't know he even existed until the Sentry when the announcers were slobbering at him. I watch a lot of golf. I had no clue this person was alive. If it's him, nothing monumental about it.

Agreed. He might be a nice guy, and I'm sure he hits it a long way, but some make it sound like he's the greatest thing since titanium. I'll let the young man actually win a major or two before I'm sold.

Agreed. He might be a nice guy, and I'm sure he hits it a long way, but some make it sound like he's the greatest thing since titanium. I'll let the young man actually win a major or two before I'm sold.

Champ or Fowler?

They use the wording "athlete." Granted, many golfers are now, what one would call an "athlete," but this is most likely a non-golfer. "Light it up," is a basketball term. Who's been lighting it up the past few years, Steph Curry.

Out of all the things so far, this kind of makes the most sense.

TM could go on and on about how they are "breaking boundaries" and using other buzzwords due to signing a non-golf sport pro to a contract deal or something like that.

Would this be a first in history? I know there's other guys like Justin Timberlake, Kenny G, MJ, Phelps, etc who are very good golfers and get significant coverage at the Pebble pro am.

TaylorMade already uses the word "athlete" in reference to their Tour pros on their website.

Also, keep in mind Curry is locked in with Under Armour and I think his deal with them includes an equity stake. He's not going to wear any apparel featuring TaylorMade so TM would have to be okay with that. I would think that if you were going to sign a big name like this you would at least want them wearing a TM hat when they play. Also this would probably end Curry's amateur status wouldn't it? Not sure if he wants that.

I agree that it might be some non-golfer, outside the box type signing. Similar to what Nike did with Colin Keapernick, being that he doesn't even play a pro sport anymore.

The fact that the letter says "one of the most significant announcements in company history - a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before."

That wording seems like it has to be a big name from outside golf. I just don't think it's Curry. But maybe UnderArmour would be included some how and okay with it.

Nope. If anything it's somebody acquiring TM. They are having issues making payroll at times for the higher end contracts. At least one rumored quarter anyway.

So TM is having trouble making payroll (sometimes) but has decided to go all in and toss some serious coin (which is in short supply) on a truly legendary signing. Something's just not kosher here.

Champ or Fowler?

LOL....both actually. Well played.

Nope. If anything it's somebody acquiring TM. They are having issues making payroll at times for the higher end contracts. At least one rumored quarter anyway.

So TM is having trouble making payroll (sometimes) but has decided to go all in and toss some serious coin (which is in short supply) on a truly legendary signing. Something's just not kosher here.

Agree. If the tour smoke proves true we will see the $ man in due time.

That’s all I’m going to say at this time. There’s smoke going around the tour grapevines . Hard to know what’s true and what isn’t. But it’s interesting for sure.

Reason I mention it is that some of this emails wording fits. The specific athelete part doesn’t. Unless it’s multiple athletes playing the Tm ball from another brand all at once. ( merger ).

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There is no one who has or ever will ever light up TaylorMade’s marketing like Tiger Woods. I don’t care if it’s LeBron or Steph or Jordan. Abeles is out to lunch.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

LOL

First the rumor about Kuchar stiffing his caddie and now this.

And now the OP writes "Fowler" in the title even though the email says nothing about who,,,,,, if there's even a "who".

And the OP is M.I.A.

And 5 full pages since last night. Very impressive !!! :rofl:

Ahhhhhhhh,,,,,, Winter,,,,,,,,, gotta love hate love it.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

“light up the industry” is clearly referring to challenging Titleist’s ball dominance on tour for the last 70 years. TaylorMade is going after tour players now for ball contracts, which has been Titleist’s thing forever. Rickie Fowler, while not a dominant player, is clearly one of the most marketable athletes on tour, and signing him, in Taylormade’s mind anyway, is the beginning of TaylorMade hacking away at Titleist’s weekly ball count, which Titleist prominently advertises during every golf tournament (big deal if Titleist can’t do that anymore).

You have to look beyond the player and consider the bigger picture. Can you imagine a tour where Titleist isn’t being played by 3/4 of the field? That would be a HUGE get if TaylorMade could pull it off.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip