Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

They do. I bought irons from them last year and Jason told me they can get shafts that aren’t offered on their site. I’d surprised if they couldn’t get the KBS shafts you’re looking for. I have the Tour 90s in mine. I would shoot Jason an email if you have questions. He is very good about answering.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I like them. I demoed my irons with the regular 90s and really liked them. When I went to their facility to get fit Jason thought I could do a stiffer shaft. I have a muscle disease that causes my muscles to fatigue as I start doing activities. We talked about and he saw how my swing changed as I tired swinging the stiffer heavier shaft. He decided to hard step the 90s which gave me some stiffness and I still kept the shaft lighter. It has worked well for me. I‘m much more accurate with this setup than I ever have been.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

glad to see sub70 gaining some traction!!! ive played the 639mb's since last year and love them. quite forgiving for a blade type and love the feel

also look gorgeous in the bag!!!

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

You can call Jason and ask. I believe he owns hurricane golf as well, so he has access to a ton of stuff.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Message sent.

I should mention that I had to contact your customer service department to change part of the order (relative to grip wraps) and they couldn't have been more pleasant or efficient.

Nothing I've seen so far has made me regret my decision to order from Sub70 but, you know, new toys....

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

Nice! I’ve misplaced a wedge, so they might get some more of my business soon.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Decided to Demo some 699 in stiff after reading about the price point and they just look really nice and slick. The demo came with the KBS 90 (not my shaft a choice). I play 2016 Cobra Forged Tec with Ctaper lite stiff (110 g). I'm a 4 handicap, for my game I hit about 50% GIRs, and need to hit more girs and proximity to the hole if I want to improve.Sadly I do not play as much golf recently with the 2 little ones so I have been thinking about something a little more forgiving and a little hotter on the face and think that these would be a really good consideration.

First, Jason called me (on Friday 430 pm nonetheless) to discuss the irons when I emailed him the first time before I put demo order in. Like other have said top notch customer service.

The demo is a 6 and 9 iron and here are some comparison pics below. Another member on here described the 699 as a slightly bigger i500 and I would agree. They are slightly bigger then my forged tecs and have more offset in long irons then short irons surprisingly. If you want an easy swinging club man it would be really hard to beat the 699 and KBS90 shaft, lightweight and easy to elevate and the ball does come off the face nicely. I played them side by side and they just perform better on mis hits then the forged tec. My forged tecs are harsh on mishits these are not. The feel on the face is different I have never played these hollow clubs but it was nice feel I could game these for sure. I'm strongly consider ordering a set with a different shaft (modus 120, DG, KBS tour)

699 on left:

img-4803-jpg.jpg

img-4802-jpg.jpg

img-4806-jpg.jpg699 on bottom

img-4805-jpg.jpg

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

bbfitas: Thanks for the pix. Something to occupy my time while I await my 699s. Actually, they remind me a bit of my GMaxs, which I'll be selling (whenever the new clubs arrive).

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

I just got a demo pair an hour ago. Plan on taking them to the range tomorrow and maybe playing Thursday. Bottom line, though? They're beautiful. I was worried the offset might be a little high, but they look every bit a player's iron. I'm currently in Callaway CF16 and I'm thinking I might be replacing those real soon.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Got out to the range yesterday. For reference, I got the 699 Pro in X flex with KBS Tour shafts. My current set is Callaway CF16 with TT XP95 S shafts. The demos were 6i and 9i.

The first thing is that the 699 Pros are a bigger clubhead. Not much bigger, but enough to notice. I didn't really mind that, as the toplines are actually very similar and indicative of a player's club. The offset in the 9i was very similar/identical, but the 699P had noticeably less offset than the CF16 in the 6i. It's a great looking club.

I'll first say that the conditions I practiced in were not ideal - mat only with relatively crappy mats. Unfortunately none of the ranges I frequent are allowing grass play right now so I'll have to wait for a real round to judge how they feel on grass.

The feel of the clubs is unreal. They're buttery. You know when you miss, but it's not a punishing feel. And center hits give you the feel of a good forged iron - it's as if you didn't hit anything.

The part that lost me, at least to this point, was the performance, unfortunately. Given that I currently play a 4-year-old iron, I was expecting to gain some distance from the injected body, but to my eye there wasn't any to be found. I felt that the 9i flew the same yardage as the CF16 and the 6i looked to maybe be a touch shorter. Perhaps that's down to the shaft difference, but it indicates that there is little to no gain in the head. I'm going to try to get on a launch monitor this weekend to verify.

I also think I'm slightly misfit for the 9i. The mat turf marks seemed to be a little heel-centric, which isn't the case with my CF16 (lengths were identical). I suspect I'd need about .5* upright in the 9i if I went with the 699Ps, and I think other clubs would need to be adjusted, as well.

Overall, I love the look and the feel but I can't say there's a performance gain over the CF16. I will be taking them out a couple more times over the next week to verify. I suspect my best move at this point is to get shaft-fit in the CF16s to tighten up dispersion, which is something I had hoped to learn by demoing these. I think I'm just not quite out of the tech window yet - the CF16 are still a great club for me.

I'll report back after the weekend.

Bettinardi Queen B #8

to be fair, your gamer cf16 clubs with xp95's are 35 grams lighter than KBS Tour 130x. If the 9i is roughly the same distance but the sub70 6i is just slightly shorter, then id say theres a great chance the sub70's would be longer if everything is equal

could be other things cuz shafts and heads dont all work the same for everyone... but 35g difference between shafts almost always will make a big difference

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Like I said, I'm reserving total judgement until I get on the launch monitor. To my eye, though, launch seemed to be about the same.

Further testing is needed was really my point but that was a first impression.

Bettinardi Queen B #8

I just did a demo of both the 699s and 699 Pros. Got the 6 and 9 iron in both. Several range sessions, and 3 rounds played with nothing but the Sub 70 irons, sand wedge, and putter in my bag (played from the reds with my wife ).

The 699s had KBS Tour V 90 shafts, the Pros KBS Tour shafts. The Pros were in the black finish, and I loved the look of them from the moment I saw them. Just a sharp look.

At first glance, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. A closer look let me see the thinner topline and reduced offset in the Pro. In both cases, I loved how they looked at address.

Not surprisingly, where they're basically the same head, the feel was almost identical. I was very pleasantly surprised at just how forgiving they were. My main misses are missing out toward the toe and low on the face, and these clubs are VERY forgiving on both of those.

Edited by SecondandGoal
  • Like 1

my long time friend TAIII showed his new Sub 70 set on IG, they are sweet. I have known him since the early 80's and have caddied for him on more than one occasion, in fact his brother taught me how to swing a golf club. TA would not have made a switch if these weren't good equipment. He has never played what everyone else on staff was playing. When he was with Armour and everyone on staff had 845's, TA had the company break out some old blades that were designed in the 60's and played those...check out his IG account and see WITB...these Sub 70's might be my next set of clubs and I have been a Mizuno fanguy for the last 15 years

• Like 1

Just really starting to dig in on these irons. They look beautiful. I need to do more research. Glad this thread is here.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple weeks with the 699 Pro and here are my findings:

There is a performance gain over my current Apex CF16, but not much. For the most part, they're extremely comparable. In real life testing, I'm finding very minimal distance disparity with similar ball flight and spin characteristics. I finally got on a launch monitor last week, and that seems to confirm those real-world findings. On the LM, I compared 9 irons, then 6 irons, then went back and hit a second round of each and took the 3 best shots of each.

IMG_20200809_085517.jpg.3bd3e9034b95629243ac18ec57aa577c.jpg

IMG_20200809_090609.jpg.e0d49cbb0c83737ed99094b3f9867453.jpg

IMG_20200809_092651.jpg.19330867e6e3e57c0329402a1df3c990.jpg

IMG_20200809_092147.jpg.74f9414942ad94f1f9789d0a1ea4d521.jpg

(Note that the offline stats are pretty all over the map, and that's due to this LM being on an actual range. My aiming points weren't consistent. That's something I've now learned for the next time I use this facility.)

You'll see that I gained about 5 yards in carry with the 699P, and gained ~3-4mph in ball speed with both clubs. On the best-3-shots set, I gained about 10 yards with the 6 iron. I can't explain that additional 5 yd jump, to be honest. 

To me, 5 yards carry is not enough to instantly say 'yep...these are in the bag now.' I'm actually considering testing the regular 699, as well, because one thing I noticed on the course is that I hit the 6 iron with more of a fade than what I traditionally do. I think that boils down to the reduced offset from the CF16. It's nothing detrimental, maybe 5-10 yard fade, but still not something I want to play all the time. I'm wondering if additional offset in the regular 699 would solve that.

Finally, I want to make this abundantly clear: These are amazing clubs. Having used the wedges for a few months now, I was sure that the quality would be there, and the 699Ps did not disappoint. They are beautiful clubs and irons that you wouldn't think are at their price point. If/when I do decide to pull the trigger on a set, Sub70 is getting my dollars.

Edited by spartan6910
  • Like 3

Bettinardi Queen B #8

1 hour ago, spartan6910 said:

I've had a couple weeks with the 699 Pro and here are my findings:

There is a performance gain over my current Apex CF16, but not much. For the most part, they're extremely comparable. In real life testing, I'm finding very minimal distance disparity with similar ball flight and spin characteristics. I finally got on a launch monitor last week, and that seems to confirm those real-world findings. On the LM, I compared 9 irons, then 6 irons, then went back and hit a second round of each and took the 3 best shots of each.

IMG_20200809_085517.jpg.3bd3e9034b95629243ac18ec57aa577c.jpg

IMG_20200809_090609.jpg.e0d49cbb0c83737ed99094b3f9867453.jpg

IMG_20200809_092651.jpg.19330867e6e3e57c0329402a1df3c990.jpg

IMG_20200809_092147.jpg.74f9414942ad94f1f9789d0a1ea4d521.jpg

(Note that the offline stats are pretty all over the map, and that's due to this LM being on an actual range. My aiming points weren't consistent. That's something I've now learned for the next time I use this facility.)

You'll see that I gained about 5 yards in carry with the 699P, and gained ~3-4mph in ball speed with both clubs. On the best-3-shots set, I gained about 10 yards with the 6 iron. I can't explain that additional 5 yd jump, to be honest. 

To me, 5 yards carry is not enough to instantly say 'yep...these are in the bag now.' I'm actually considering testing the regular 699, as well, because one thing I noticed on the course is that I hit the 6 iron with more of a fade than what I traditionally do. I think that boils down to the reduced offset from the CF16. It's nothing detrimental, maybe 5-10 yard fade, but still not something I want to play all the time. I'm wondering if additional offset in the regular 699 would solve that.

Finally, I want to make this abundantly clear: These are amazing clubs. Having used the wedges for a few months now, I was sure that the quality would be there, and the 699Ps did not disappoint. They are beautiful clubs and irons that you wouldn't think are at their price point. If/when I do decide to pull the trigger on a set, Sub70 is getting my dollars.

Did you leave the heavier shafts in them? If you got those gains with the heavier-stiffer shaft, then you would really have gains with the same shafts. 

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

2 minutes ago, Cheesehead42 said:

Did you leave the heavier shafts in them? If you got those gains with the heavier-stiffer shaft, then you would really have gains with the same shafts. 

I did. I need a stiffer shaft than what I'm playing anyway. Part of this process was trying to decide "do I need new clubheads and shafts, or just new shafts?" Ultimately the answer is probably both, as I assume I'd see a slight hit in performance going to a stiffer, heavier shaft with CF16s. Another possibility, though, and one that I'm contemplating seriously, is the 699P with a stiffer graphite shaft at the same weight point. There's a lot to consider here but I still don't feel like I'm able to jump to a conclusion.

• Like 2

Bettinardi Queen B #8