2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

2 hours ago, squish45 said:

My 639CB/MB combo set is (hopefully) coming in next week. A couple of the heads went OOS filling orders ahead of mine due to some holdups at customs. Bummed as I was hoping to get them out this week but anxiously awaiting. I'm moving off of an ancient set of Ping G5s that are way too offset and chunky for my liking.

I'll post pictures when they come in. 3-8 in CB and 9-PW MB with loft adjustments on pretty much all of them to try and get my gaps where I want them. It was great working with the whole team to get everything exactly how I want it.

I like the idea of mostly CBs with a few blades in the most precise spots. I really like the sharp look of these. Definitely want to hear how this set works out. Those guys over at TXG have about convinced me with their videos that I am a fit for more narrow-soled irons!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I like the idea of mostly CBs with a few blades in the most precise spots. I really like the sharp look of these. Definitely want to hear how this set works out. Those guys over at TXG have about convinced me with their videos that I am a fit for more narrow-soled irons!

Yeah, I was all set on a combo set starting at 8 for the mb, but I might change my mind...

im also curious about the ta3 irons they will be releasing eventually... they look incredible.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I think there really is something to this.  The 8-P MB's, despite being relatively large for a blade (as I've detailed in other threads), still have some of the narrowest soles I've ever played and you know what?  I think it fits me well.  I've really hit the short irons so much better than my previous couple sets (which were Srixon's and Bridgestone's).

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

32 minutes ago, PittShark said:

I think there really is something to this.  The 8-P MB's, despite being relatively large for a blade (as I've detailed in other threads), still have some of the narrowest soles I've ever played and you know what?  I think it fits me well.  I've really hit the short irons so much better than my previous couple sets (which were Srixon's and Bridgestone's).

This has been my experience as well. Different brand in this video, but check out this TXG review where they are having a midcapper (Al) test the New Level irons. Ian points out that Al’s tendency is to hang back on his irons, causing him to sometimes hit slightly fat, but in the test he hits the thin-soled MBs the most consistently. Ian analysis is that is not unusual and that it is the thinner sole helping his contact. Wide soles might help rescue a heavy shot for some via the bounce, but not always. 

• Like 1

Received my 699's this afternoon. Lengths look proper, and there's a sticker on each head, detailing loft, lie, and head weight. Also a spot for F.A (face angle) for woods. Lofts & lies look slightly goofed up to me. Compared to specs, the 5i is 1* weak, the 7i is 1* strong. The 9i is either 38.5* or 39.5*, so 0.5 or 1.5 strong, with the PW 1* weak. Also, the 5-7 are all lie angle 62*, and the 8-P are all 63.5*, rather than the 0.5* per club progression they should have.

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

This has been my experience as well. Different brand in this video, but check out this TXG review where they are having a midcapper (Al) test the New Level irons. Ian points out that Al’s tendency is to hang back on his irons, causing him to sometimes hit slightly fat, but in the test he hits the thin-soled MBs the most consistently. Ian analysis is that is not unusual and that it is the thinner sole helping his contact. Wide soles might help rescue a heavy shot for some via the bounce, but not always. 

ian touts thinner soles in many videos. He has stated the need for the shallower AoA players to play thin soles rather than the steeper players. I thought it would be the opposite. Either way I have heard him say he can choose sole width based on sound ?. Definitely a good pierce of advice to carry forward with you 

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

50 minutes ago, Thamel90 said:

Received my 699's this afternoon. Lengths look proper, and there's a sticker on each head, detailing loft, lie, and head weight. Also a spot for F.A (face angle) for woods. Lofts & lies look slightly goofed up to me. Compared to specs, the 5i is 1* weak, the 7i is 1* strong. The 9i is either 38.5* or 39.5*, so 0.5 or 1.5 strong, with the PW 1* weak. Also, the 5-7 are all lie angle 62*, and the 8-P are all 63.5*, rather than the 0.5* per club progression they should have.

How are you measuring those? I'm sure if they're actually off you can reach out and I'm sure it will be corrected.

I know they've been super busy lately so it's always possible there was a mix up.

Edited by squish45

1 hour ago, squish45 said:

How are you measuring those? I'm sure if they're actually off you can reach out and I'm sure it will be corrected.

I know they've been super busy lately so it's always possible there was a mix up.

There is a sticker/label on each clubhead w/ the specs. Kinda surprised they shipped w/ those lie angles to be honest. I'm sure phone call will get this resolved for you @Thamel90

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Posted in the Tour/pre-release thread for the 699u pro also...

I bookended my M2 Tour iron set with some sub 70s! I had some fun discussions with Jason to settle on specs - main goal was to get a low-launching driving iron, and then I figured I would try a 9 iron based on my success switching from set PW to a vokey this season.

Driving iron:

699u pro 2i bent 1.5 deg strong 

HZRDUS smoke 90 6.5

Lamkin crossline 

9 iron (specs an exact match to my current M2 tour):

639mb 40 degrees

Project X black 7.0

Lamkin crossline

I'll add details about the performance after I've hit them!

I should add that it has been a great customer experience and I look forward to hearing more positive stories from people who do give these guys a try!

20200911_163122.jpg

20200911_163322.jpg

20200911_164433.jpg

20200911_164316.jpg

^^^^Those look great. The pro utility does not at all look huge at address. 

The MB blade size looks just right to me. Not so small as to be intimidating. Mostly would like to hear how the soles are on real turf. 

Played a round with these yesterday. Off the tee on par 3's, they performed admirably. Off the ground, not so much. I put that mostly on myself since I was crap with my wedges as well. The 699s look great at address, just slightly smaller than my previous iron set

Edited by Thamel90
  • Like 1

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

Ordered a pro fairway 4 wood (Riptide 70) and a 639X 4 hybrid (Riptide 85) as my first foray into Sub 70 clubs, filling some needs in the bag. 

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Ordered a pro fairway 4 wood (Riptide 70) and a 639X 4 hybrid (Riptide 85) as my first foray into Sub 70 clubs, filling some needs in the bag. 

I'm currently in the process of feeling out the 939X hybrid. So far its been a seriously solid performer after 2 rounds, and a 3rd round coming this afternoon. I'm very impressed with it. I wrote a review of it with course data on here from my first round with it. I'll be updating it later tonight. Hopefully you get the same results I have so far. Post up your experience after you've gamed it.

• Like 1

Shank's 2023 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym TD 8* +1.N/Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6X

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

-Pro V1X

14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

5 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Nice! look forward to hearing about them. My hybrid is at the bottom of my priority list, but I'll definitely go Sub70 when the time comes.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

27 minutes ago, Thamel90 said:

Does anybody know the specs of the "made for" Project X Hybrid shaft? I got the 6.0 in my 939X 3H without thinking. I should have probably gotten an upgrade

They have a ‘view shaft specs’ button on the site. I bet this shaft is pretty good. I thought about it. It’s a 75 gram, 3.8 torque shaft. So Project X stability with a little feel via mid-torque. These pairings often make sense. You should try it out and tell us what it’s like. Might love it. If you hate it I am sure they’d reshaft to make you happy. It’s that kind of vibe at Sub 70. 

• Like 1

Got my 699 Pro demo's in hand on Friday and played an early Sat morning 9 the following day. As far as dimensions, slightly longer heel-to-toe than JPX919 HMP's. The black heads do a good job of making the club heads look smaller though. If I didn't have the 699 Pro in satin as well, I'd swear the Sub70 soles were thinner than the HMP's. There is more bounce on the Sub70's vs the HMP's as well.

On the course, the performance was pretty much what I expected. Easy launch, although not quite as towering as the regular 699's w/ the graphite shaft I demo'd previously. I was not disappointed at all. Would like to get a few more rounds under my belt before commenting on forgiveness and such. I'll say this again though...if I didn't already have a set of clubs I really enjoyed, I'd be ordering these in a heartbeat!

-Ron.

• Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I got to finally play a round with the LH 699 irons this weekend and I'm definitely impressed.  I was fortunate enough to hit most from the fairway and loved the flight and feel on these.  The couple of shots from the rough came out nice with minimal effort.  I hit a number of 9 and PW and distance consistency was just what I want.  I'll definitely be waiting for more LH options that hopefully come out especially in the wedges and hybrids.  I wish I could say something I didn't like about them, but can't really come up with anything.  I feel I grew accustomed to their look behind the ball easily.  If you're debating on them, I say go for it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BAG UNDER CONSTRUCTION/TINKERING...Now and Forever.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, BballMike14 said:

Posted in the Tour/pre-release thread for the 699u pro also...

I bookended my M2 Tour iron set with some sub 70s! I had some fun discussions with Jason to settle on specs - main goal was to get a low-launching driving iron, and then I figured I would try a 9 iron based on my success switching from set PW to a vokey this season.

Driving iron:

699u pro 2i bent 1.5 deg strong 

HZRDUS smoke 90 6.5

Lamkin crossline 

9 iron (specs an exact match to my current M2 tour):

639mb 40 degrees

Project X black 7.0

Lamkin crossline

I'll add details about the performance after I've hit them!

I should add that it has been a great customer experience and I look forward to hearing more positive stories from people who do give these guys a try!

20200911_163122.jpg

20200911_163322.jpg

20200911_164433.jpg

20200911_164316.jpg

Can you let me know what the head weight was on your 699U Pro?

I just got mine with the same shaft as you and the head weight was 226 grams.  It feels awfully light to me.

Thank you

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

59 minutes ago, dearth12 said:

I just got mine with the same shaft as you and the head weight was 226 grams.  It feels awfully light to me.

Thank you

The website says for the pro utilities......

Specifications
Head Number 2 3 4
Loft 17 19.5 22
Lie 60 60.5 61
Offset(mm) 4 3.75 3.5
Weight 235 242 249
Standard Length Steel 39.5 39 38.5
Standard Length Graphite 40 39.5 39
Face Material 455 Carpenter Steel 1.7mm
Body Material 431 Stainless Steel

226 is around where I expect a 2 iron hybrid to check in weight wise, obviously, you have one on the lighter side of the spectrum.  Did you specify anything when you ordered?  Head weight or swing weight or length?

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

2 hours ago, dearth12 said:

Thank you

Mine was 233.6 - I am hitting it tonight and will provide feedback in terms of feel/total club weight.20200911_163059.jpg.be7140c3b627626d215bc079f25e5c70.jpg

OK! Some initial thoughts after range time (unfortunately, no launch monitor for real data, so please take with a grain of salt...)

639mb 9i:

-felt great when centered (happened more often than I was expecting, to be honest)

-seemed to launch higher than my M2 Tour

-very consistent distance when struck well, responded well to taking a bit off also

-hard to say how much I lost on heely shots

-I chipped a bit with it too and it did get the ball rolling nicely 

-I don't think the beautiful black finish will last long if I go to the range often!!

-feels like it fits right in between my 8i and PW distance-wise - I'll know more when I play my ball at my course (Wednesday!!)

-it sure helped getting the club built to my exact 9-iron specs to drop right in

699u pro 2i

-weight feels lighter than my 4i, but doesn't stand out as too light (for me at least)

-very large face, but looks reasonable at the ball

-this thing gets down range fast! No ballooning, just shoots and drops and rolls

-again, with no launch monitor, hard to say for sure, but I compared against my Cobra LTD 5 wood and would say carry was close (edge would go to the LTD) but roll out was crazy with the 2i

-launched lower, and seemed like a perfect trajectory for the wind

-I found the toe side to be more forgiving distance and line-wise than the heel

-misses were far less catastrophic than my 5 wood

-I found when I over-swung, launch went up and the ball went left, but a nice easy swing got the stinger-type shot I was hoping for without the stinger-type swing that I have not mastered.

Can't wait to try these out on Wednesday. I'll add on-course thoughts after that!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Clifford said:

No demos to Canada!

Extra shipping to Canada. No Sub70 699 pros for me

I know it's not feasible for some, but lots of Canucks with a PO in the US.....maybe you or one of the others north of the border could arrange for a demo with sub70, that gets passed along amongst several members.  Ya never know.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ode said:

I know it's not feasible for some, but lots of Canucks with a PO in the US.....maybe you or one of the others north of the border could arrange for a demo with sub70, that gets passed along amongst several members.  Ya never know.

Just some casual golf club smuggling! 

I was unaware Candadians would have US PO boxes, that's pretty funny. I guess if you live close to the border and cross over anyways, why not have a US address?

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

20 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

The website says for the pro utilities......

Specifications
Head Number 2 3 4
Loft 17 19.5 22
Lie 60 60.5 61
Offset(mm) 4 3.75 3.5
Weight 235 242 249
Standard Length Steel 39.5 39 38.5
Standard Length Graphite 40 39.5 39
Face Material 455 Carpenter Steel 1.7mm
Body Material 431 Stainless Steel

226 is around where I expect a 2 iron hybrid to check in weight wise, obviously, you have one on the lighter side of the spectrum.  Did you specify anything when you ordered?  Head weight or swing weight or length?

I did not specify anything as the weight on the chart you showed sounded good to me and I ordered at standard length.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

With all the good reviews for the 699 Pros I ordered the 6i/9i demo clubs. I currently play clubs with traditional lofts (7i 35*) and the 699 Pros are 4* stronger through most of the set. Looking forwarding to seeing how they play. 

• Like 2

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Just now, pdxhak said:

With all the good reviews for the 699 Pros I ordered the 6i/9i demo clubs. I currently play clubs with traditional lofts (7i 35*) and the 699 Pros are 4* stronger through most of the set. Looking forwarding to seeing how they play. 

If you end up liking how they feel, they do have flexibility on the lofts (2-3* I believe). Ultimately you can end up with the same lofts as your current set but the stick might have a different number on it by adding a gap on the low end.

I received my combos, just finished shafting up tonight.

They look great! Comparing visuals next to  my Mav Pro's and my Gen 1 0311/0311T's.

Very clean looking, nothing flashy, sole not chunky at all.

Pro's look very similar profile to the Mav Pro's but with a higher toe (more pingish looking). Looks same heal to toe. That stretches into the 4 iron. Similar size heel to toe as the 0311, with a smaller sole and maybe a touch more offset. They neck down quite a bit towards the hosel almost like an old Ping Eye 2 iron.

Will take to the course tomorrow to hit a few, will grab some comparison pics and post up thoughts.

• Like 2

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour