Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

I haven’t read through this entire thread but are the Sub70 guys active on here? Have some questions I’d like to ask. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

8 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

I haven’t read through this entire thread but are the Sub70 guys active on here? Have some questions I’d like to ask. 

You can always just call up Jason at Sub70 on the phone and talk with him.  His number is listed on their website.  He's very helpful and easy to get hold of.     They do post on here sometimes so hopefully they will notice your post.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Just called him actually, thanks. What a good dude and how awesome is it to call the CEO directly of a club company you’re looking to purchase from. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

4 hours ago, Jsk0307 said:

My 639cbs arrived today to join my Sycamore putter.   Going to play a round with them later this afternoon. 

20201030_125238.jpg

20201030_124133.jpg

Finished a round of 18 with the new sticks.  Didn't hit the range first to get a feel for distances so I just guessed my way around the course.   Still managed to shoot my average score for this particular course so I was happy with that. 

I went with a mid-high trajectory shaft with this set and that'll take some time to get used to.  Shots seemed to be less affected by wind which helped given the conditions.

• Like 2

Currently in the process of getting fitted for the first time with irons prior to pulling the trigger on some 699's. I've always played off the shelf clubs but am 5' 6". with a wrist to floor angle that is really low. Talked with Jason through email and on the phone and I can't agree how easy he has made the process right now. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, spartan6910 said:

Been a while since I posted here. Haven't had a lot of time to get out and play recently but that should be clearing up. 

So I initially tested the 699 Pro (6 & 9) and found that I was leaving the 6 out right. So I am currently testing the 699 in the 6 and it's money. I'm also testing the 699 Pro U in the 3 and it's a fairway finding rocket launcher. I currently bag a 2 iron so I'd be looking for a replacement for that, and the Pro U is it. It's just money and so easy to hit.

In the next few weeks, I'll be pulling the trigger on the following iron set:

699 Pro U (loft undecided just yet, dependent on further testing)

699 5-7

699 Pro 8-P

Can't say enough about the team at Sub70. They've been more than willing to work with my testing requests. Very happy to support them and looking forward to getting the bag set.

Sounds like a great combo set to be honest.  I think that is a set up that a scratch to high handicap can play successfully.   

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

• 2 weeks later...

Need some opinions/advice here. I know I want to get the set I mentioned above, but I don't know which shafts to get. I know I want to get fit to make these the best they can be, but neither my current shafts nor the shafts that came in my testers seem to be the best for me. I asked my local CC if we could do some facsimile fitting and they said they would not be comfortable doing that. So now I'm stuck. Do I just go with what I think are the right shafts and hope and pray, or is there a way to do a fitting (note: not local to Sub70/Illinois) after purchase to get these right?

TIA

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

On 10/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, JaySub70 said:

There have been some early discussions on possibly doing the 639 series in LH but I haven't heard anything concrete on that at this point

If you come out with LH 639's you'll have one set sold in a heartbeat!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

21 minutes ago, spartan6910 said:

Need some opinions/advice here. I know I want to get the set I mentioned above, but I don't know which shafts to get. I know I want to get fit to make these the best they can be, but neither my current shafts nor the shafts that came in my testers seem to be the best for me. I asked my local CC if we could do some facsimile fitting and they said they would not be comfortable doing that. So now I'm stuck. Do I just go with what I think are the right shafts and hope and pray, or is there a way to do a fitting (note: not local to Sub70/Illinois) after purchase to get these right?

TIA

Hey Spartan, great to see another San Diegan on the forums. What about your current shafts and the ones on your demos did you not like? Weight, feel, dispersion? What I would suggest is giving the Team at Sub70 a call and discussing your concerns. They can assist w/ suggestions and if it doesn't work out there is their 60 day guarantee.

Edited by rondre3000

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

2 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

Hey Spartan, great to see another San Diegan on the forums. What about your current shafts and the ones on your demos did you not like? Weight, feel, dispersion? What I would suggest is giving the Team at Sub70 a call and discussing your concerns. They can assist w/ suggestions and if it doesn't work out there is their 60 day guarantee.

I know my current shafts are too soft - S flex - as my dispersion struggles.

I think the demos are the right flex, or at least closer - X - and I like the tighter dispersion, but they are a heavier shaft and I'm thinking if I go to a lighter, maybe even graphite (gasp!) X flex that I'd see increases in both distance and dispersion. I have a shaft in mind, but I'm not sure if I'd need to go X or S in that, as I'm unsure how graphite changes characteristics compared to steel at the same weight point. I like the weight I'm swinging right now, but I know I need a stiffer shaft in my next irons.

Bettinardi Queen B #8

3 hours ago, spartan6910 said:

TIA

I'd suggest calling Jason at Sub70 and talk with him.  He will really help you out with shaft selection.  He's great to deal with.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

5 hours ago, spartan6910 said:

I think the demos are the right flex, or at least closer - X - and I like the tighter dispersion, but they are a heavier shaft and I'm thinking if I go to a lighter, maybe even graphite (gasp!) X flex that I'd see increases in both distance and dispersion. I have a shaft in mind, but I'm not sure if I'd need to go X or S in that, as I'm unsure how graphite changes characteristics compared to steel at the same weight point. I like the weight I'm swinging right now, but I know I need a stiffer shaft in my next irons.

Call them and talk to them. Based on other reviews here they’re more than able to help you out.  You can also get your X shafts soft stepped as that is also an option when filling out the customization form online.  

On 11/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, spartan6910 said:

My personal experience with sub70 is I was between two shafts, also stiff and x, and I called Jason and he suggested the s400, which I didn’t know about...

it’s my new favorite shaft.

call Jason, tell him what you are thinking, take his advice, then send him money.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their experiences on here. I have been casually starting to look for new irons, but after reading through the posts, I've gone ahead and ordered a demo of the 699. Will def have a shaft questions if I decide to pull the trigger but its awesome to know Jason is available to discuss. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

4 hours ago, dixiethunder said:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their experiences on here. I have been casually starting to look for new irons, but after reading through the posts, I've gone ahead and ordered a demo of the 699. Will def have a shaft questions if I decide to pull the trigger but its awesome to know Jason is available to discuss. 

Nice!  Enjoy the demo.  Be wary the 699's might be a bit bigger then your current offering and the 699 pros might be better suit.  Also if you currently play the C tapers what shaft you get in demo?  I know when I demo'd it was a light weight KBS high launch which is opposite of your C tapers in the sig.   Post back you results/thoughts.

I just picked up a 3 Hybrid off a member on here that matches my 4H.  Think it might replace my 5 wood slot.  

PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 

3 hours ago, bbfifas said:

Nice!  Enjoy the demo.  Be wary the 699's might be a bit bigger then your current offering and the 699 pros might be better suit.  Also if you currently play the C tapers what shaft you get in demo?  I know when I demo'd it was a light weight KBS high launch which is opposite of your C tapers in the sig.   Post back you results/thoughts.

It is funny, I called and spoke to Mike about going 699 vs Pro and he suggested I move forward with the regular version. My handicap ballooned after having a kid and I'm just now working it back down so the extra potential forgiveness could be good for me. I also messed up on the shaft in my current irons, the C-Taper was in my old irons (P770s) and I'm currently playing the KBS Tour V110 Steel in my Rogue Pros. Without speaking to Jason, my inclination is to go with the KBS Tour 120s in there but I'll hear what he has to say before making a final decision. 

Demos should be here Friday, I think only stiff option was the KBS Tour 90. Really wish I had demo'd the hybrid while I was at it. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

15 hours ago, dixiethunder said:

It is funny, I called and spoke to Mike about going 699 vs Pro and he suggested I move forward with the regular version. My handicap ballooned after having a kid and I'm just now working it back down so the extra potential forgiveness could be good for me. I also messed up on the shaft in my current irons, the C-Taper was in my old irons (P770s) and I'm currently playing the KBS Tour V110 Steel in my Rogue Pros. Without speaking to Jason, my inclination is to go with the KBS Tour 120s in there but I'll hear what he has to say before making a final decision. 

Demos should be here Friday, I think only stiff option was the KBS Tour 90. Really wish I had demo'd the hybrid while I was at it. 

Yeah the 699's are very forgiving, and just a tiny bit bigger then the pros.   It looks like on website they have the KBS 90 , 105, and 110s at no up charge on the website.  Not as familiar with all those shaft set ups but you prolly can find a weight that fits you for sure.  Good luck and have fun testing.  

Yea I bought the hybrid on a whim when ordering my irons and I got lucky that it just fits me pretty well. I'm tempted to replace my 3 wood now! lol.  I got to call them and see how the 3 wood performs off the deck as I seem to use my 3 wood for trying to go for par5's in 2 more then off the tee.  

• Like 1

PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 

you'll be fine with the 699s.  I recently changed from the regular 699s to the pro version 8-PW so I play a "combo" set now.  The size is a little different but hte biggest difference is the amount of offset.  flight characteristics are the same to me.  Good luck with the demo.

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G430 9.0*  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 60 stiff 
3W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

7W - Ping G425 Max  Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 70 stiff 

4 Hybrid - Ping G425 AD DI 95S
Irons - Ping i525 Black dot Project x IO S
Wedges -Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 54* & 58* Modus 115 S
Putter - Lajosi PTriple Protoype

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone with experience with the 699U Pro Utility help me out?

Does it tend to launch high or low? Can be worked both high and low? 

Just wondering because I'm choosing between the different X flex graphite shafts on the site: the HZRDUS (low trajectory), Riptide (medium trajectory), Proforce V2 (medium/high trajectory). Those corresponding shaft trajectories are just taken from each of the manufacturers' sites.

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboypinoy said:

Just wondering because I'm choosing between the different X flex graphite shafts on the site: the HZRDUS (low trajectory), Riptide (medium trajectory), Proforce V2 (medium/high trajectory). Those corresponding shaft trajectories are just taken from each of the manufacturers' sites.

Thanks!

I have a 2i (bent to 15.5) with HZRDUS and hit it very low. That said, I found ball position/set-up to be the real key. I play it back in my stance almost like an 8i or 9i and the ball stays well below the tree line. I haven't really tried to do too much with it as for me it is a tee club when there is lots of trouble. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboypinoy said:

Thanks!

I have the 4 utility with the pro force shaft... plenty easy to keep it low, can hit it high with the right swing.

great club! Feels better than the other utility’s I hit... ping felt hollow, others felt dead... sub70 feels great.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

6 hours ago, theboypinoy said:

Thanks!

I have the 699u Pro 2 iron with the HZRDUS Smoke 90-X shaft and it has quickly become my favorite club in the bag.  It is extremely workable (high/low and side to side).  It has become my go to club on shorter par 4's off the tee and even off the deck for second shots into par 5s where landing the ball short and running it up is doable.  The turf interaction is so much better than I thought it would be.  I bought it strictly for a tee club, but off the deck it is just so good!!

Feel is subjective, but to me it has a very solid and satisfying feel and "thump" to it when hit correctly.

• Like 2

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

1 hour ago, dearth12 said:

I have the 699u Pro 2 iron with the HZRDUS Smoke 90-X shaft and it has quickly become my favorite club in the bag.  It is extremely workable (high/low and side to side).  It has become my go to club on shorter par 4's off the tee and even off the deck for second shots into par 5s where landing the ball short and running it up is doable.  The turf interaction is so much better than I thought it would be.  I bought it strictly for a tee club, but off the deck it is just so good!!

Feel is subjective, but to me it has a very solid and satisfying feel and "thump" to it when hit correctly.

Sounds like I shouldn't rule it out as more than a tee club....thanks!

1 hour ago, BballMike14 said:

Sounds like I shouldn't rule it out as more than a tee club....thanks!

Definitely not. I tested a 3u with KBS Tour X and it was very playable from the turf. I had no trouble flighting high or low.

As others have said, though, it was an absolute missile launcher off the tee. I'm really looking forward to hitting it on short par 4s when I get my set in.

Edited by spartan6910

Bettinardi Queen B #8