Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

It’s here!

Great built quality, comfortable and looks good... not my favorite style of visor, but I’m definitely rocking this one this season... the wedges that came with it were a big plus. I’ll post photos and comparisons of them later.

D4802F43-E3E4-4411-BFCE-9947C7F6C0A2.jpeg

Golf visor >>> Football coach visor (a.k.a. Hat with top cut off). I will fight over this.

41 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Got them too late to do anything but unwrap them and take pictures with the clubs they are replacing.

I’m very happy with them, weight and balance feels good, just need to get some time in with them! hopefully tomorrow! 

they look awesome, service was exceptional (as always).

im happy to grab any pictures requested... I’ll write up my review when I get some range time with them.

EEDC2837-562C-4D30-8ED6-A9D6F09BB028.jpeg

194D5E24-1C13-490A-A8FD-0E29D2E45F50.jpeg

AD27E86B-944B-45B2-AE36-932E62121654.jpeg

DE3B705A-4D95-4BE6-ADEC-476B27AC7AD6.jpeg

48BD8091-05BB-4FA7-8ADF-C6EC8FC23A80.jpeg

17A7434F-6CBD-422B-BD82-C36009661B51.jpeg

CF59905C-9A5F-4BAD-9328-8200C4C02682.jpeg

Looking good. How would you describe/compare the leading edge and sole profiles? Sounds to me like the JB has more heel/toe relief but I’m curious about leading edge sharpness, bevel, roll, etc. The square leading edges of both are distinguishing.

• Like 3

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

2 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Got them too late to do anything but unwrap them and take pictures with the clubs they are replacing.

I’m very happy with them, weight and balance feels good, just need to get some time in with them! hopefully tomorrow! 

they look awesome, service was exceptional (as always).

im happy to grab any pictures requested... I’ll write up my review when I get some range time with them.

EEDC2837-562C-4D30-8ED6-A9D6F09BB028.jpeg

194D5E24-1C13-490A-A8FD-0E29D2E45F50.jpeg

AD27E86B-944B-45B2-AE36-932E62121654.jpeg

DE3B705A-4D95-4BE6-ADEC-476B27AC7AD6.jpeg

48BD8091-05BB-4FA7-8ADF-C6EC8FC23A80.jpeg

17A7434F-6CBD-422B-BD82-C36009661B51.jpeg

CF59905C-9A5F-4BAD-9328-8200C4C02682.jpeg

Those are some good looking wedges.

• Like 2

Any long term reviews on the 639 CB? I see a lot of info on the 699's but not a ton about the 639. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a set. 

Would the closest comp to these be Bridgestone J15 CB? 

• Like 2

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

15 minutes ago, aceofclubs said:

Any long term reviews on the 639 CB? I see a lot of info on the 699's but not a ton about the 639. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a set. 

I’ve got the five iron and really like it... it’s a pretty standard forged cavity back. I wasn’t looking for much, just needed a five iron.

J15 is probably a fair comparison. 

I will say the black doesn’t hold up great, but i still ordered black wedges!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

18 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

Golf visor >>> Football coach visor (a.k.a. Hat with top cut off). I will fight over this.

Looking good. How would you describe/compare the leading edge and sole profiles? Sounds to me like the JB has more heel/toe relief but I’m curious about leading edge sharpness, bevel, roll, etc. The square leading edges of both are distinguishing.

I'm usually a fan of the football coach visor, but maybe it's because I'm from Texas... I did rock the Sub70 visor on the range today, though... It's nice. It's actually much better for me than the old school visors, I think it might be slightly wider, thus fits my ginormous melon better... Regardless, this isn't Hat Chat. 

Leading edge sharpness, bevel, roll... I'm not super fluent in wedge terminology, but I'll do my best!

First off, I'm very happy with the aesthetics of the wedges, especially behind a golf ball... It was also nice to be in grass and hitting a golf ball again. I'm still adapted to the Sieckmann method of chipping, so there were definitely some learning pains (and one hosel shank) but overall, the wedges performed exactly how I wanted them to for chips (I haven't gotten to pitch with them yet, hopefully I'll get some half swings in tomorrow)

A little explanation on why I got what I got: I wanted a "traditional" sand wedge that was flexible around the greens, but mostly used "straight". I don't plan on opening or closing the face a ton, but wanted the confidence to do so if necessary. Hence I got the 286 54. It has 12 degrees of bounce and is more or less a standard SW as far as I'm concerned.

I got the 58 degree low bounce "JB" wedge to have more options around the green. Mostly, I wanted something that I was confident to open up and hit flop shots with. I also wanted low bounce to have a different option in my wedge game. This is my get out of jail club, and I love to break into various jails... so flexibility was important.

286 54: As discussed, plenty of bounce, it hasn't been ground and is a fairly traditional shape. Compared to the 54 degree F grind 14 degree SM6, the Sub70 leading edge is less sharp, and is more rounded in the middle of the sole. I don't know the fancy technical terms, though! The back of the sole is also more rounded, vs the SM6 which drops off more. The soles are similarly rounded

58 JB LB - Harder to compare this to the SM6 58 I have, as it's a K grind with 12 degrees of bounce... I didn't have a good plan when I bought the SM6 and it shows... the leading edge of the JB is significantly less sharp, it has good heel and toe relief, and I really like how rounded the sole is from the front to the back. 

I'm happy to try to explain those features better if you are looking for something specific!

On the range, both performed better than I did... The 286 is a great standard sand wedge. I can manipulate the face open or closed, but it's not something I'd do much with this club... The bunkers were wet, so I did not hit any shots out of the bunker, but it's got enough bounce that I'm sure it will be fine. 

The JB was an all star, even in the wet grass. I tried a variety of shots with it, and the club could handle what I threw at it... I spent most of the time knocking the rust off my short game, but the wedges did what they were supposed to do. I was shocked at how well the 58 opened up, and then performed with an open face... I managed to get the club under the ball and didn't blade a ball into the street, which was a win for me today. 

I was a little skeptical about Sub70 wedges, simply because I wanted more grind options... but the JB did exactly what I needed it to do, and I play a fairly standard grind on my Sand Wedge... For the money, they are definitely amazing wedges... 

On the photos below: Sub70 vs SM6 (my wife picked the table cloth)... Dirt pattern was to show the mud on the heel from opening the wedge up fully... picture below that was how far open I could get the wedge while keeping the edge down. 

Last 2 pictures are the 54 and where I was chipping from and my target... Speaker was playing "Less than Jake: All my Friends are Metalheads"... I think the wedge looks good at setup!

Edited by Myherobobhope
  • Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

21 minutes ago, JaySub70 said:

Our Pro fairways are all fixed hosel 😁   (whoops was just catching up and somebody already mentioned that!)

Also, we'll have some different visor options available soon if that's the headwear of choice!  

Thanks for posting the pictures and write up.  We seriously consider customer feedback and both new wedge models were designed directly on the comments/thoughts we received on the original wedge.  The 286 wedge is definitely a great stock/classic wedge and the JB should offer some more versatility.  

Haha, sorry, I'm looking for a fixed hosel 13 degree 3 wood... At this point, I'm contemplating just buying a cut down driver as a secondary tee club... Basically, I want a 2 wood and no one makes them (and I get it, i'm a weirdo)... I might have to try a sub70 driver... 

Hopefully you guys toss in another visor (I'd like Black this time, with velcro... if that's an option) whenever I buy the 949 pro hybrid.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

22 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

49DA84CB-C21B-4F13-8447-593096632430.jpeg

C5446EB1-F5AE-43E5-9F1A-51951A429767.jpeg

9645CA95-C39B-4386-803E-4C534F909D12.jpeg

3EBE59F1-DA49-480D-8107-AFCC042BA5AB.jpeg

A4950FD6-9A62-4A91-BEF3-FA6C247B43B0.jpeg

Awesome write up. I personally am glad to hear that both the 286 and JB wedges have rounded/blunt(?) leading edges (even in the low bounce option) as I find the resulting forgiveness on slightly ground-first contact to be extremely beneficial for most players. I was expecting the JB to have a sharper, more demanding profile and think that making it more playable was a smart move by Sub 70. I tend to think a myriad of grind options is overrated and a way for golf hobbyists to sound/feel smart, but that’s a different story. These wedges should be great performers across the spectrum.

I personally play almost all of my wedge shots with a square face so I think the 286 is the one for me. If my current GW doesn’t work out I’ll give this a shot.

• Like 2

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

2 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

Awesome write up. I personally am glad to hear that both the 286 and JB wedges have rounded/blunt(?) leading edges (even in the low bounce option) as I find the resulting forgiveness on slightly ground-first contact to be extremely beneficial for most players. I was expecting the JB to have a sharper, more demanding profile and think that making it more playable was a smart move by Sub 70. I tend to think a myriad of grind options is overrated and a way for golf hobbyists to sound/feel smart, but that’s a different story. These wedges should be great performers across the spectrum.

I personally play almost all of my wedge shots with a square face so I think the 286 is the one for me. If my current GW doesn’t work out I’ll give this a shot.

Just got some more time in with them, and I really enjoy them... I'm happy with the bounce combinations, and really like the LB option in the 58... it's not going to be hit a ton, but I'm hoping it comes up clutch when needed... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

18 minutes ago, JaySub70 said:

Our Pro Fairway does have a 13* head option https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-pro-fairway.html  It's listed as 3+

I did not know that! If my current side project fails, I’ll probably just grab that then.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Today I was able to hit my recently acquired Sub70 699U 4 iron in a local simulator.  It performs exactly the way I was hoping it would getting around 160 yards total distance (about 140 carry) and I am VERY pleased  😃.

By way of background, the stock 4 Utility is pretty close spec-wise to the Ping G710 5-iron (23* loft; 35.25" length). I worked with Customer Service at the Company and had the 22* club weakened by 1* and shortened by a 1/2" to 38.5". They also identified a Recoil shaft which was close to that in my G710s. 

The bottom line is that the Company is great to work with AND makes a great product!

Edited by Bob M
clarity
  • Like 2

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

On 2/24/2021 at 7:59 AM, aceofclubs said:

I did a demo of the 639CBs. I really enjoyed them. First time at the range was miserable but my mechanics were probably at fault. Next few trips were great. Good ball flight, forgiving, consistent and fun to hit. They sent a new 6/9 iron combo in black. I wouldn’t recommend the black as it wore quickly. You can’t beat the price either. I’m leaning heavily towards picking up a set over the P770 and i210s. 

• Like 2

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

Anyone hit the 649 MB Tour Forged Raw irons yet? Look amazing but I'm not familiar with DT-4 Steel. How does it compare in feel and sound to the 1025 or 1020 steel that most forged MB's are made from?

Also, is it possible to get heads only from Sub 70? Or get more shaft options in irons?

Thanks all!

• Like 2

Okay, as promised, I'm back for a quick review after having the 699 Pros for a little over a week now.  Shipping was delayed a few days due to the recent crazy winter weather across the country, but they still arrived about a week after I placed my order.  So far I've hit the range twice with them and played 2 rounds with them in the bag.

As with every Sub70 order, the set arrived beautifully packed and included tees and ball markers, stickers, a really nice hat, and a handwritten letter.  I've never had brand new irons before, so pulling these out of the box to just admire them was an awesome experience.  So pristine, and I almost felt bad peeling the plastic off of the heads.  They look incredible in the bag together, and I'm really happy with the special black and orange ferrules I chose to match my current color scheme.  

On to feeling and performance so far... 

They feel SO GOOD.  Very smooth and stable feeling through the swing with these shafts (KBS Tour 120s w/ a soft step) and clubhead weight, and I'm making more pure contact in the middle of the face than ever.  Basically, as long as I don't put a horrible swing on the ball, I get a pure shot.  Even shots where as soon as I make contact I think "Damn it, I just hooked that into oblivion," I look up to only see a minor pull/draw that ends up safe just left of target.  They are so much more consistently workable and controllable than my old GI irons.  I know the swing mechanics behind trying to draw or fade the ball, high fade, low cut, high draw, etc., but I'm not super good and consistent yet actually delivering on those shot shapes every time.  With my GI irons, sometimes I would get the exact desired shot, but more often than not either I would over-do it, or nothing would happen at all and I would just hit a straight shot way off target.  The 699 Pros are way more likely to "do what I tell them" in a controlled manner, which is so cool to mess around with at the range right now.  Distances and gapping also feel very consistent and controllable at the moment.  Overall, I'm so pumped about these and I just want to hit a thousand balls with them every day.  

I am having some issues, however, which I also experienced during my demo of the 699s and 699 Pros.  I'm finding that I'm losing about a full club in distance with them, which I need to figure out.  My previous irons, the Callaway Mavriks, are juiced to hell and extremely long, but I could hit my normal number of 150 with a 7 iron with absolutely zero effort, and a regular swing got 155 or even 160 if I really went after it (I would lose all control at 160, though).  My irons before that, the Callaway X-22s, were actually weaker lofted than the 699 Pros and I still hit a 7 iron 145-150 no problem.  I'm finding that my 7 iron with the Sub70s is going more like 140-145.  

I'm pretty convinced this is just a shaft issue I need to figure out.  The 699s I demoed came with the Tour V90 shafts, which were very smooth but I wasn't quite as controlled with them - they launched into orbit and ballooned even higher.  The 699 Pro demos had the KBS Tour 110s which had similar issues but not as bad.  The Tour 120s I got don't seem to have much difference in trajectory and spin from the 110s, so again, pure shot exploding off the face that just seems to launch a bit too high, spin too much, and falls out of the sky once it reaches its apex.  I found a shop near me that will do a full shaft fitting for $100, so I bit the bullet booked that for a couple weeks out to get this figured out and get the right shafts for me.  I've never been fit for anything in my life, so I'm pretty pumped!  I have no idea if these issues are stemming just from the dynamics of the KBS Tour shafts being wrong for my swing, or maybe the weight is slowing down my swing speed enough to account for that loss in distance, or probably a combo of both.  I've never gamed anything heavier than 75 gram graphite before.  

Anyway, overall, I love these irons so much so far, and once I get the right shafts for me I know these are going to lower my scores since I'm more consistent than ever with them in hitting pure shots on target and with desired shot shape.  Once I get the right shafts for me I'll post another update with more pictures.  Can't wait!

699.jpg

699 pro.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, HorseMeatSandwich said:

Okay, as promised, I'm back for a quick review after having the 699 Pros for a little over a week now.  Shipping was delayed a few days due to the recent crazy winter weather across the country, but they still arrived about a week after I placed my order.  So far I've hit the range twice with them and played 2 rounds with them in the bag.

As with every Sub70 order, the set arrived beautifully packed and included tees and ball markers, stickers, a really nice hat, and a handwritten letter.  I've never had brand new irons before, so pulling these out of the box to just admire them was an awesome experience.  So pristine, and I almost felt bad peeling the plastic off of the heads.  They look incredible in the bag together, and I'm really happy with the special black and orange ferrules I chose to match my current color scheme.  

On to feeling and performance so far... 

They feel SO GOOD.  Very smooth and stable feeling through the swing with these shafts (KBS Tour 120s w/ a soft step) and clubhead weight, and I'm making more pure contact in the middle of the face than ever.  Basically, as long as I don't put a horrible swing on the ball, I get a pure shot.  Even shots where as soon as I make contact I think "Damn it, I just hooked that into oblivion," I look up to only see a minor pull/draw that ends up safe just left of target.  They are so much more consistently workable and controllable than my old GI irons.  I know the swing mechanics behind trying to draw or fade the ball, high fade, low cut, high draw, etc., but I'm not super good and consistent yet actually delivering on those shot shapes every time.  With my GI irons, sometimes I would get the exact desired shot, but more often than not either I would over-do it, or nothing would happen at all and I would just hit a straight shot way off target.  The 699 Pros are way more likely to "do what I tell them" in a controlled manner, which is so cool to mess around with at the range right now.  Distances and gapping also feel very consistent and controllable at the moment.  Overall, I'm so pumped about these and I just want to hit a thousand balls with them every day.  

I am having some issues, however, which I also experienced during my demo of the 699s and 699 Pros.  I'm finding that I'm losing about a full club in distance with them, which I need to figure out.  My previous irons, the Callaway Mavriks, are juiced to hell and extremely long, but I could hit my normal number of 150 with a 7 iron with absolutely zero effort, and a regular swing got 155 or even 160 if I really went after it (I would lose all control at 160, though).  My irons before that, the Callaway X-22s, were actually weaker lofted than the 699 Pros and I still hit a 7 iron 145-150 no problem.  I'm finding that my 7 iron with the Sub70s is going more like 140-145.  

I'm pretty convinced this is just a shaft issue I need to figure out.  The 699s I demoed came with the Tour V90 shafts, which were very smooth but I wasn't quite as controlled with them - they launched into orbit and ballooned even higher.  The 699 Pro demos had the KBS Tour 110s which had similar issues but not as bad.  The Tour 120s I got don't seem to have much difference in trajectory and spin from the 110s, so again, pure shot exploding off the face that just seems to launch a bit too high, spin too much, and falls out of the sky once it reaches its apex.  I found a shop near me that will do a full shaft fitting for $100, so I bit the bullet booked that for a couple weeks out to get this figured out and get the right shafts for me.  I've never been fit for anything in my life, so I'm pretty pumped!  I have no idea if these issues are stemming just from the dynamics of the KBS Tour shafts being wrong for my swing, or maybe the weight is slowing down my swing speed enough to account for that loss in distance, or probably a combo of both.  I've never gamed anything heavier than 75 gram graphite before.  

Anyway, overall, I love these irons so much so far, and once I get the right shafts for me I know these are going to lower my scores since I'm more consistent than ever with them in hitting pure shots on target and with desired shot shape.  Once I get the right shafts for me I'll post another update with more pictures.  Can't wait!

699.jpg

699 pro.jpg

While various things could be impacting your distance gaps, a very clear one could be the loft differences. Mavrik 7 irons are listed at 27*, and 699 Pros are 31*. You’ll get every different numbers on loft alone, but shaft weight and swing weight may also  have an impact for you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

While various things could be impacting your distance gaps, a very clear one could be the loft differences. Mavrik 7 irons are listed at 27*, and 699 Pros are 31*. You’ll get every different numbers on loft alone, but shaft weight and swing weight may also  have an impact for you.

Definitely, and I don't expect them to go as far as the Mavriks, but with the CG on the Mavriks so low and far back, the 27 degree 7 iron does have a bit higher trajectory than, say, a 27 degree 6 iron in another model.  They're kind of in between a "normal" 7 and 6 iron.  And as mentioned, my old X-22 7 iron was 33 degrees, and I still hit 150 pretty consistently with that.  I don't want or need to hit 155-160 consistently with the Sub70 7 iron, but I would like to get back to the neighborhood of 150, and I'm really hoping the right shaft will do that.  If not, I guess I can just swallow my pride, pick up  4 iron, and get used to the new gapping.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, Myherobobhope said:

49DA84CB-C21B-4F13-8447-593096632430.jpeg

C5446EB1-F5AE-43E5-9F1A-51951A429767.jpeg

9645CA95-C39B-4386-803E-4C534F909D12.jpeg

3EBE59F1-DA49-480D-8107-AFCC042BA5AB.jpeg

A4950FD6-9A62-4A91-BEF3-FA6C247B43B0.jpeg

Beauties...very nice looking wedges!! 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

25 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Beauties...very nice looking wedges!! 

More important, they flat out perform.

love my 286 54 and jb 58 setup... high bounce sand wedge and low bounce lob wedge... it just adds a ton of options for different shots, even if my 54 will be my workhorse.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, HorseMeatSandwich said:

Definitely, and I don't expect them to go as far as the Mavriks, but with the CG on the Mavriks so low and far back, the 27 degree 7 iron does have a bit higher trajectory than, say, a 27 degree 6 iron in another model.  They're kind of in between a "normal" 7 and 6 iron.  And as mentioned, my old X-22 7 iron was 33 degrees, and I still hit 150 pretty consistently with that.  I don't want or need to hit 155-160 consistently with the Sub70 7 iron, but I would like to get back to the neighborhood of 150, and I'm really hoping the right shaft will do that.  If not, I guess I can just swallow my pride, pick up  4 iron, and get used to the new gapping.

If you haven’t talked to Jason, you should... he can walk you through the various shaft options.

what did you have in the Callaway? Do you still have them? I’d be interested to see ball speed and swing speed comparisons, as it might just be an adjustment phase... probably also worth looking at the dispersion with the different irons...

if your best shot with the old irons were going 150, and your ok shots were going 140... you’d be better off with irons where your best shots go 140 and your ok shots go 135.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

More important, they flat out perform.

love my 286 54 and jb 58 setup... high bounce sand wedge and low bounce lob wedge... it just adds a ton of options for different shots, even if my 54 will be my workhorse.

Definitely the most important part...good to know!!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

19 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

If you haven’t talked to Jason, you should... he can walk you through the various shaft options.

what did you have in the Callaway? Do you still have them? I’d be interested to see ball speed and swing speed comparisons, as it might just be an adjustment phase... probably also worth looking at the dispersion with the different irons...

if your best shot with the old irons were going 150, and your ok shots were going 140... you’d be better off with irons where your best shots go 140 and your ok shots go 135.

I wasn't able to talk to Jason directly before I ordered because we were both extremely busy and kept playing phone tag, but I talked to Dan, their VP, who recommended the Tour 120s stiff w/ a soft step after hearing about my game and that I was having this issue with the Tour 110s regular flex.  My Mavriks have the Project X Catalyst 6.0 graphite stiff 75 gram shafts, and the X-22s has whatever the stock 65 gram graphite regular flex option was.  I may have hit those 150, but my dispersion was garbage.  I will definitely talk to Jason after my fitting, but I would prefer to see the actual numbers first since I've already booked it, rather than just guessing again.

I did have a bit of a revelation at the range yesterday, however.  I was tired and sore after working out, so I just went to hit balls with only good effortless mechanics and solid ball-striking in mind, and no thought of distance whatsoever, and lo and behold I may have figured something out.  It's tough to tell at the range, but I think my brain might have subconsciously been swinging too hard at the cost of solid mechanics to compensate for the weight of the shafts I'm not used to yet.  I was just working with the "feet together drill" to focus on better body turn, balance, preventing sway and keping my arms out of the swing, which helps me swing loose and easy, and I actually got way better trajectory, and gained distance AND even better consistency.  I was hitting directly into a head wind, and it looked like my 7 iron was getting pretty damn close to 150 every single shot.  I hit a few 6 irons that flew directly over the 150 sign, so I know the 6 was carrying at least 150 into the wind yesterday.  I used my rangefinder just to double-check, and the sign was right at 151 from where I was hitting.  I'll have to see what happens next time out on the course to see how this translates to "real world conditions" but I think maybe I just needed my brain and swing to adjust a bit to the heavier shafts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HorseMeatSandwich said:

I wasn't able to talk to Jason directly before I ordered because we were both extremely busy and kept playing phone tag, but I talked to Dan, their VP, who recommended the Tour 120s stiff w/ a soft step after hearing about my game and that I was having this issue with the Tour 110s regular flex.  My Mavriks have the Project X Catalyst 6.0 graphite stiff 75 gram shafts, and the X-22s has whatever the stock 65 gram graphite regular flex option was.  I may have hit those 150, but my dispersion was garbage.  I will definitely talk to Jason after my fitting, but I would prefer to see the actual numbers first since I've already booked it, rather than just guessing again.

I did have a bit of a revelation at the range yesterday, however.  I was tired and sore after working out, so I just went to hit balls with only good effortless mechanics and solid ball-striking in mind, and no thought of distance whatsoever, and lo and behold I may have figured something out.  It's tough to tell at the range, but I think my brain might have subconsciously been swinging too hard at the cost of solid mechanics to compensate for the weight of the shafts I'm not used to yet.  I was just working with the "feet together drill" to focus on better body turn, balance, preventing sway and keping my arms out of the swing, which helps me swing loose and easy, and I actually got way better trajectory, and gained distance AND even better consistency.  I was hitting directly into a head wind, and it looked like my 7 iron was getting pretty damn close to 150 every single shot.  I hit a few 6 irons that flew directly over the 150 sign, so I know the 6 was carrying at least 150 into the wind yesterday.  I used my rangefinder just to double-check, and the sign was right at 151 from where I was hitting.  I'll have to see what happens next time out on the course to see how this translates to "real world conditions" but I think maybe I just needed my brain and swing to adjust a bit to the heavier shafts.

Awesome. Enjoy the shaft fitting. 

it always takes time to adjust to shaft weight!

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 hour ago, HorseMeatSandwich said:

Be patient, going 75 g to 120 g in the irons is a MASSIVE change for most.  And your going to lose some swing speed naturally from the heavier weight.  And I always have a mantra to never trust range balls! lol.  Check yardages on the course with your go-to golf ball.  Report back and good luck.  

• Like 4

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Just got off the phone with Jason a couple hours ago. We talked over shaft options. What other company can you talk to the CEO about shaft options??? I ended up ordering the 639 CBs 4-W with KBS Tour 120s. I will definitely do a review once they get here. Im excited to hit them.

I was also impressed with how fast the communication was. Jason was very quick with an email response and then a phone call. 

• Like 3

I know there's been a lot of buzz out there for this company, from the price to accessibility of their CEO Jason. I'm not really in need of a new set of irons, but the 699's peaked my interest. I'm currently playing the Taylormade M3 with x100 shafts playing to a 15 handicap. Any experiences with moving from the M3 to the 699 irons? I know the lofts are a little stronger on the 4/5 irons by 1 degree and .5 stronger on the 6/7 irons, but those can be adjusted. Please share what you have, would be curious to hear the feedback, thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Just got introduced to the owner via email and he seems like a great guy. He will be offering Xcaliber shafts in his line. 

He is very down to earth and loves making sure the gear fits the player. He almost seems as if he will gladly pass up on a sale if the gear isn't a good fit. 

Hes a good guy. I was debating between KBS Tour 120 and the Modus 120. He let me know that I should just save my money and go with the KBS since the KBS would accomplish what I was looking for.

• Like 1