2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

I have the 699's with the Tour 90's. The weight feels fine to me. I think they swing weight out to D2 if I recall correctly.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Everything in my signature but driver and putter are new, took it all out today for my first round with the new Sub 70 clubs. For background, I can’t golf nearly as much as I’d like, probably twice a month. I typically shoot around 90, as I did today. Driver is 240-250 for me, 7 iron 150-155.

The irons are lovely. Well made and the shafts fit me well. Powerful high ball flight, straight and about 5 yards longer than the 714 AP1’s I came from. Very forgiving, nice cavity back there, and the sole is not egregiously wide. The offset is on the low side for GI clubs and I love this.

The wedges have a good feel to them and I attribute this to the shaft. Jason, the owner of the company, steered me to these shafts rather than the much heavier and stiffer off the rack wedge shafts I’ve always played. They are forged as well, but I’m not sure I’m good enough to realize this on the course. Wedges are really good around the green. I don’t hit many full shots with the SW and LW on the course, but on the range they dug a little more than I’m used to. This may be an adjustment to the new shafts, but the leading edge is also a little sharper than Vokeys, I think. The black finish is really good, reminds me of my old Cleveland’s black pearl finish. Looks great as it starts to wear.

Hybrid was good too. Pin high from 205 is fantastic for me too bad I missed the green 2 yards left! This is a great result for me no complaints. The hybrid and 5 wood are so classy great traditional looks without the flash, I love it! Very solid, sound is powerful too. I hit the 5 wood on the range well, right about 220 which is what I expect. Did not hit it on the course today. Probably should have as driver wasn’t great.

All in all, the Sub 70 clubs are great, they are performing well, and they are a super value. The demo program worked great, and I tried before I bought. Jason was super to work with and he handled a change in my order seamlessly. I cannot recommend this company enough! Maybe driver too someday...

TEE EXS 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 2G 60 R
Sub 70 939X 5w 18* PX 5.5
Sub 70 939X 4h 21* PX 5.5
Sub 70 739 5-AW KBS Tour V 90 R
Ben Hogan Equalizer 56*, 60* KBS Tour V 110 S
Kingston Putters KP2

• 8 months later...

Reviving this thread, I spoke with the guys there after the few new articles and reviews that came out about the 699 pros and am sold!!! They are awesome there and building to my specs and will have the 699 pros here shortly!!! I will leave a review of them on here, but so far one of the best companies I have ever worked with and they more then stand behind their clubs!!!

Nice! Jason is a good dude and fun to talk to. I have a 639 CB Black 5 iron on it's way with a S400 shaft... he and I went through the build for my entire set, but I haven't been willing to pull the trigger. My 699U 4 iron is awesome and my current set is missing a 5 iron, so I figured the 639 CB was a good place to start. $112 custom built . Not a bad deal.

I MIGHT one day go all Sub70 irons and wedges... I'm considering the hybrid, but hesitant, mostly because I don't like adjustable hosels in hybrids.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I recently ordered a 5 hybrid for my wife, she plays mens clubs so typical R flex, etc. She loves the club. I took it out for a couple rounds and the thing just rocks. So much so that I talked with Jason on the phone last night and ordered another one with slightly different specs. It is so much easier for me to hit than a 5 iron and better ball flight. Highly recommend the clubs and dealing with the company.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

@myherobobhope, on the adjustable hossel, it doesn't adjust loft, just lie angle, really minimal adjustments.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

It's 100% mental on my part, but the weight added to make a club "adjustable" is a sacrifice against performance... The bigger the club, the less it bothers me, but an adjustable hosel adds weight to the heel of the club... If my year goes as planned, I will fully dip my toes into the Sub70 club pool... I'm going to at least get a full set of 639s at some point this year. (combos, 5-7 in CB and 8-PW in MB)... I'll likely pull the trigger on wedges once I wear my current ones out (I haven't gotten to play much, so this is going to be longer)... and I might take a chance on the hybrid down the line.

I don't think my driver is going anywhere until I crack the face... 3 wood is always a toss up, but I'm more focused on the shaft options than the three wood head...

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I was just looking at the pro 3 wood... can I get one that sits a little open and a lower loft? I'd love it in 13.5-14 and a few degrees open.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

They were and it's locked... They probably have messaged the winners and started the build process... We should probably see a review thread next week, would be my guess.

I'll toss up a 699 utility review and 5 iron review as soon as I get the 5 iron. It might also be good if I get to play some golf... If all goes according to plan, I go back to the hole that convinced me I needed a 5 iron and see how the 639 performs on it. My mini review of the 699 is I like it a lot. Feel great, good launch and looks good. They built it to my specs and it was a great value. I've hit most other utility irons, the Ping felt hollow, and everything else felt thick.. 699 is a good balance... but I'm also very partial to the shaft. Proforce V2 is always a winner for me.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I’ll harass Jason when I’m ready to pull the trigger... paid for a five iron last night and will hopefully complete the set this month... three wood isn’t a big club for me, so it can wait.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I left him alone this weekend when he was “taking a vacation with his wife”...

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I purchased the 699's this winter and couldn't be happier with the purchase. Sub 70 is really great to work with, they have a great demo program. They also have a very fair trade in program. I traded in my old set of irons and received a fair price. I have only been able to get out with the new irons about 6-8 times due to suffering a bad bout of Covid-19 which cost me almost three months off of the golf course. I am slowly starting to get back out and getting my swing back. I highly recommend Sub 70 - great product - great prices.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I currently have demo 6,9 irons of the Sub70 639CB and Ben Hogan PTxPro for a miniature side-by-side contest for the right to replace my much-loved set of Titleist 735.CM irons. I have hit both on the range and played 9 holes to compare real on-course performance. Initial observations / range: Both have top lines that are quite a bit thicker than my eye is used to, but the 639CBs have a more squared-off toe that frames the ball really nicely - you cannot tell this in any online review photos I have seen. I personally like this quite a bit as it enforces thoughts of confidence and power. The 639CB cavity is quite deep and the sole is quite thick, but these are both 100% hidden at address. I personally am not a huge fan of how they look in the bag, but at the end of the day who cares? The back of the iron looks sharp to me though. After playing one of the OG blended iron sets for over a decade, I am planning to move to a full set of forged Players CB irons and these match my expectations perfectly - straight and powerful default flight with the ability to control traj and shape as needed, plus added forgiveness. Hitting half-9i shots to the 75y marker on the range was a bit of a revelation with the 639CB. High/low/side-spin shots all felt solid with just enough ball tilt to know there was spin. Very cool for a CB. On-course: The real difference between the 639CB and PTxPro is the feel - the single forging 639CB just feels more solid than the multi-piece PTxPro. I realize that not everyone will agree with that, but I swear I feel a difference. Mis-hits retain more distance than my old blended set, especially so for the 9 iron. The PTxPro does really well on thin strikes, while 639CB does well on toe-side strikes. Unfortunately I can’t plan mis-hits well enough to draw better conclusions yet. I don’t take very deep divots but turf interactions was great for me - the leading edge got in and out just fine. The 40 degree 639CB 9 iron did not fly as far as I might have guessed but I am chalking this up to the KBS Tour S shaft, which is different from my normal DG S300 (considering going stiffer, not the other way). Overall: I am absolutely planning to buy a set of 639CB’s as soon as (a) my wife gives me approval and (b) I get properly fit for iron shafts. I like the slightly lighter KBS Tour shaft but I feel like I was overpowering it just a bit, especially the 9i. FWIW I really like the PTxPro’s as well - the script text and sunburst art are just gorgeous. But the 639CB’s single-piece forging and squared toe line just tips the scales enough in that direction.Photos: will upload in a follow-up post.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| Wilson Staff FG-51 DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

You can get s400 shafts from sub70... highly recommend talking to Jason for options... he knows his stuff, and he knows what options they have that aren’t on the site... but if you want stiffer than s300 and don’t want x100, the s400 are great. Love mine.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

You can pick up a 699u for $100 bucks :-)

Well worth it.

Edit to add: I haven't gotten a commission check from Sub70 for my constant pimping... (yet)

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I love their utility iron, but if you already have a utility iron you like it’s not a must have.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Thanks for the heads up. The S400’s are on my radar but I really need to get on a simulator to compare options. I want to make the KBS Tour work because (a) it’s a well-regarded shaft and (b) the price point is unbeatable as a Sub70 base option. I am sure I will figure something out, i.e. hard/soft stepping the S/X.

P| Ping Anser

my cost for clubs was $112 with upgraded midsized grips and the s400... which is still fantastic.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

After hitting the 639CB's a bit more with KBS Tour shafts, I am most likely going to stick with Dynamic Golds. The irons themselves look and feel great but the shaft just doesn't work for me. I am also looking at New Level Golf's 902 irons - a similar players CB. I bought a used 7 iron with S400 shaft on 2ndswing to compare with the demo Sub 70 639CB irons I have on hand. A true grudge match will be happening later this week. As far as I can tell, the main difference is substantially more offset in the NL902 and a more boxy shape to the 639CB. I am curious to see how the top lines and feel compare side by side.

P| Ping Anser

Sweet! Let us know how it goes.

Honestly, with the combination of price, quality and service, I am pretty much sold on Sub70 for now... but understand that others people calculations are different.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I ended up buying a set of New Level 902 irons with S400 TI shafts for $110/club. I really did love the 639 CB's but the NL902's were just a better match for me. My interactions with Sub 70 were great - they are a well-run company and should have sustained success if they can get enough market exposure. The Direct To Consumer iron options are incredibly strong and, I believe, still mostly hidden from the general golf population. If Sub70/Hogan/NL break through, the sky is the limit. Affordable equipment is an element of expanding golf participation and I hope these companies can play a part. Here are a couple of in-hand photos of the 639 CB and Ben Hogan PTx Pro. I am going to post a new thread comparing all three of these DTC players CB irons shortly.

9i face-on, 639 CB in front. This shows the squared off toe line, which I really like at address.

img-0514.jpgThis angle shows the depth of the 639 CB cavity and how much empty space must be inside the PTx Pro head. The PTx Pro gets my vote for best aesthetics.

img-0523.jpgNone of the 639 CB 6i cavity is visible at address.

img-0519-281-29.jpg

Both irons have similar sole width:

img-0544.jpg

• Like 1

P| Ping Anser

Got the 699 demo irons today. Got the senior flex as it was all they had at the time. Usually play stiff steel. I know not the best way to try something out. Should I expect a big difference with the steel shafts if I were to purchase them. Love the looks of them. And they feel great. I would also like to thank I believe his name was Cody for straightening out the shipping issue. Now just too decide on what I’m gonna get.