2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

23 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's funny! Their CPH was probably through the sky.  Cost Per Hole.

Yes it was pretty insane. The first one they skipped was 7 as you had to walk down to it. One of the most famous holes in golf and they took a pass. In the end they skipped about 8 holes. No mobility issue or anything, both were "avid golfers" under 40, but could not be bothered with the effort. 

3 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Yes it was pretty insane. The first one they skipped was 7 as you had to walk down to it. One of the most famous holes in golf and they took a pass. In the end they skipped about 8 holes. No mobility issue or anything, both were "avid golfers" under 40, but could not be bothered with the effort. 

What a waste!  I've played Pebble 3 times and I would have played each hole twice if allowed.  I walked... the only way to do Pebble Beach.  The cart paths don't even get close to the overlooks.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

5 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

So they were essentially doing their golf bucket list by proxy.

• Like 1

Trip is coming up later this month, can't wait.  I'm trying to squeeze in as much (non-rushed) golf as possible so looking for suggestions as what to do in the early morning.  Our group is obviously doing double days but on a couple days our morning tee times aren't until 9ish and afternoon tees aren't until 3ish so going to be difficult to squeeze in that late afternoon/early evening round in.  Since sunrise will prob be close to 5:30 any ideas as to what I can do from that time until 9ish?  I'd love to do a short loop but I figure that's probably out of the question in the morning.  Shorty's? Brandon Preserve? Or should I just load up on bloodys and mess around on Punchbowl?

Just now, sweetcelery said:

Trip is coming up later this month, can't wait.  I'm trying to squeeze in as much (non-rushed) golf as possible so looking for suggestions as what to do in the early morning.  Our group is obviously doing double days but on a couple days our morning tee times aren't until 9ish and afternoon tees aren't until 3ish so going to be difficult to squeeze in that late afternoon/early evening round in.  Since sunrise will prob be close to 5:30 any ideas as to what I can do from that time until 9ish?  I'd love to do a short loop but I figure that's probably out of the question in the morning.  Shorty's? Brandon Preserve? Or should I just load up on bloodys and mess around on Punchbowl?

If you're doing double days already then...just chill. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the sun coming up.

• Like 4

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

21 minutes ago, sweetcelery said:

Shorty's is always great if it's open. As suggested, get breakfast or a bloody and just enjoy being there. If you want to stay active there are several hiking trails throughout the property, maybe take a walk for a bit and see what else is there. Do the Labyrinth walk. If you have car access you can take drive out to Sheep but turn left before the course and drive down to ocean access at Whiskey Run Beach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sweetcelery said:

How many days in a row and how old is the group?

Just take it easy, grab a leisurely breakfast, hit a few balls at the range. If you're playing 36 multiple days in a row you'll need some rest time.

In other news, two weeks + 1 day until I leave for my Solstice trip!

• Like 4

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

20 minutes ago, VNutz said:

....If you have car access you can take drive out to Sheep but turn left before the course and drive down to ocean access at Whiskey Run Beach.

Fantastic place to watch the sun go down if you are driving yourself back from a late afternoon / evening round @ Sheep Ranch that finishes just before sunset.   

Whiskey Run #1.jpg

Whiskey Run #2.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sweetcelery said:

Bandon Dunes is obviously mostly about golf.  But relax a bit... have a long, leisurely breakfast, sit by the window looking out over the first tee.  Savor that omelet and that second cup of coffee.  Read the news, check your email, texts on your phone or tablet.  Go to the range for a brief warm-up.  If you're up at sunrise you're not enjoying your evenings at McKee's with a pint or single-malt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Bandon Dunes is obviously mostly about golf.  But relax a bit... have a long, leisurely breakfast, sit by the window looking out over the first tee.  Savor that omelet and that second cup of coffee.  Read the news, check your email, texts on your phone or tablet.  Go to the range for a brief warm-up.  If you're up at sunrise you're not enjoying your evenings at McKee's with a pint or single-malt.

This is the perfect advice.  I've done trips where a try to cram too much in and as a result, I miss the experience.  36 for multiple days is perfect.  Take the extra time to soak it all in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sweetcelery said:

Go hang out at the range - it is huge. Play shortys if you like. Or just grab some breakfast after a sleep in. Trying to rush in 9 holes is not really needed you are going to be tired If you have a bunch of 36ers

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 8:52 AM, sweetcelery said:

Sunsets around the solstice aren't until almost 9 PM.  You won't have any trouble getting in that second round, and will likely have enough light to make a short loop before dark (and that would be free), if you aren't already tapped out.

In general, though, I'd agree with the advice above and just chill in the mornings.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I've been fortunate to have been part of a group that's been going to BDGR every February since 2002, 30-40 guys. Probably 15-20 that you see every year. Lot's of years playing 36 a day religiously for 4-5 days in any weather. Hunting a score on a bluebird day or just toughing it out in nasty weather. Lots of big fun!  Now we're 20 years older and each have probably over 100 rounds at BDGR. Not sure when it started but over the last few years we've learned to really enjoy 18 a day with a late morning tee time. This year I even took a day off to walk some trails and find the labyrinth. Skipped PD and it was totally worth it. Played great the next day.

I guess the point is, do your own Bandon Dunes trip. Shoot for a score? Hell yeah!, Knock it around and just enjoy the view? Definitely a legit goal, Enjoy being there, swinging a club and hanging out with your buds. And SR isn't that bad. But the OG SR was one of the best and most unique golf experiences in the world, and now it's gone forever. It's my one BD heartbreak.  

• Like 3

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Skipped the last round of the week on SR this past March, as the wind was blowing the rain sideways and just didn't feel like beating myself up right before a 5 hour drive after 5 days of playing pretty hard.  That was the first time I have bailed on a scheduled round since I started going 10 years ago.

At 62, I can see the time coming soon when it will be enough to do 18 plus a short loop (or Shorty's or Preserve) as the standard day.  I'm already implementing the 400 Rule (if a hole is longer than 400 yds, I'm on the gold tees), and will likely be going full Gold Tees in the next couple years.

Father Time remains undefeated...

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 5/31/2023 at 9:05 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

What a waste!  I've played Pebble 3 times and I would have played each hole twice if allowed.  I walked... the only way to do Pebble Beach.  The cart paths don't even get close to the overlooks.

This times 1000. I walk 99% of the time so it was even a thought for second of not doing that, but even if you dont walk most of you golf, Pebble is an easy walking course an no reason to ride unless you have some mobility issues. 

Just got my tee time / rotation for the Solstice. It's like they read my mind.

6:00 tee time. Starting on Trails, then Old Mac, Bandon, Pacific. 

We're carrying for the first 36 and then have caddies for the final two so having the hardest walk first, when we are fresh, is perfect. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jvincent said:

Just got my tee time / rotation for the Solstice. It's like they read my mind.

6:00 tee time. Starting on Trails, then Old Mac, Bandon, Pacific. 

We're carrying for the first 36 and then have caddies for the final two so having the hardest walk first, when we are fresh, is perfect. 

Is this your first 72 hole day?

I have done this several times and few tips I find work great:

• The number of swings you take is not the issue in 72 holes you are only going to take 40ish swings a round so under 200 swings all day. That is an hour on the range for some people. It is all about your feet (and back carrying the clubs)
  • Time on your feet, is time on your feet. Playing faster is easier than playing slower. Don't be afraid to walk at a good pace between shots. The times I have done this I have found the first two rounds feel about the same as one long round if I can walk them fast with no one in the way. Yes you burn more calories, but calories are easy to replace. 
  • Sit down at your own peril. It is just way easier to keep moving. If you do have break, make it a bit longer if you can. A cold or hot shower and change of clothes feels great and break up the day.
  • Manage chaffing. Lots of good advice for runners and hikers on this, but if it is a hot day it can be an issue for marathon golfers. We all have our methods. 
  • Change socks for sure after each round. Change shoes if you can too. And of course use only gear you know well - dont try out any new items that may cause blisters
  • If you are only carrying for 36 it should not be an issue, but for a Bandon marathon I have done less clubs and as weird as it sounds I find 2 or 3 clubs less noticeably lighter. I know from my trips over the years that there are a few clubs not worth carrying.
  • Have some goals within you goal of 72 to keep you engaged. I always play 'real golf' the entire time trying to shoot a score and typically have a buddy I play with. We will play eight 9 hole matches for $10 and some big 72 hole match. Our longest day walking was 6 rounds and it came down to the last hole😁
  • Obviously drink lots of water. Bring the right meds as I get older I need a few Advil on these days and plan to a good meal the night before and food during.

That's all I have for today.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 3

@2bGood this is my first 72 hole day, but I'm a veteran of consecutive 36-hole days.

I'll be carrying my superlite bag with the bare minimum of extras (even less tees) so the bag weight will be as low as possible. Bandon provided water and snacks on the courses for the Solstice so I won't have to carry that around like I normally do.

The shoes (2-pair) and sock combo has been well tested and broken in. A shower mid-journey would be awesome, but there's no time for that.

Agree on the sitting part. The only sitting will be on the shuttle between courses which will when shoes/socks get changed and medication gets re-upped.

The forecast looks pretty good right now so hopefully it holds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThermalDan said:

More tips, keep club head covers on your bag when you take them off, one less air squat every time.  Don't go fixing a ton of extra ball marks on the greens, again, less air squats.  I pretty much stopped squatting down to read putts and just got a look from behind.  

But no squatting means I'll miss the snap-crackle-pop of my knees and ankles!

Ball marks at Bandon are usually non-existent thankfully.

1 hour ago, ThermalDan said:

More tips, keep club head covers on your bag when you take them off, one less air squat every time.  Don't go fixing a ton of extra ball marks on the greens, again, less air squats.  I pretty much stopped squatting down to read putts and just got a look from behind.  

I do the head cove thing all the time 😁

You kind of reminded me that one of the issues I have had 100 gone days is lifting the bag on to me back cause some cramping etc. It is awkward but I will make a point of lifting my bag up to my back with  my left arm if so often just switch things up.

2 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I do the head cove thing all the time 😁

You kind of reminded me that one of the issues I have had 100 gone days is lifting the bag on to me back cause some cramping etc. It is awkward but I will make a point of lifting my bag up to my back with  my left arm if so often just switch things up.

I'm likely to put an eye out if I tried to use my other arm to lift my bag up.

22 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I'm likely to put an eye out if I tried to use my other arm to lift my bag up.

Only doing 36 with a bag  you should have no issue.

I am 50 and do the 100+ hole thing once year and the repetition of lifting the bag is one area I notice wears down over the day that I would not think about. Funny enough I have done carts a few times and played 200+ holes and found it WAY harder as you are always on the go and jumping in and out all day. 

• Like 1

Just got back from Bandon. Overall it was good, maybe a 7 out of 10. 

The Good: Obviously the views are fantastic. We thought the Chrome Lake rooms were very nice in person compared to the pictures available online (although the bathrooms could use a minor refresh). The spa/sauna/tubs are a great way to recover before and after teeing off. We thought the food at the Forge and Trails End was great.  One of the caddies we got was absolutely excellent. Bandon was in fantastic shape the first time we played it. Trails was in great shape as well. Didn’t see many large groups or guys treating the place like a golfer’s Vegas, which was nice. Energy balls are everything they are hyped up to be. I enjoyed Old Mac more than I thought I would, and thought it was a perfect fit for the land it’s on. 

The Bad: The biggest is that one of the caddies given to us was absolutely not a golfer. Bad reads (like, total opposite reads), not cleaning clubs, incorrect yardages, lost headcovers, zero insight into how a yardage is changed by the wind or how it plays. He was only good at carrying our bags. Yes we could have fired him, but the resort should absolutely not be trotting out someone like that and putting us in a predicament about whether to fire him or be nice and just let it go.

McKees service is absolutely horrendous. For a group of four guys it took us an hour and a half to receive our food one night, and two hours the next night. That second night three of us got our food while one of the guys in our group was told his would be right out. 20 minutes later after we had finished ours, his still hadn’t come out so we told them to just take it off the bill. Food was sub-par from a quality perspective. 

Sheep ranch greens were overall puttable on 15 holes, unputtable on 3 others. While Sheep Ranch has some interesting features, the course’s only defense is the wind and if we ever went back we wouldn’t play it again. The Preserve is a better golf course. Old Mac greens were a bit better for the most part but a couple holes were rough. Pac Dunes had some trouble areas but nowhere near as bad as Sheep and Old Mac. The second round we had on Bandon was on a day with significantly less wind than the first day we played it, so we were very excited to get another lap. However we arrived to approaches that had been top dressed and therefore the course didn’t play properly as far as using the fronts of greens to access pin locations. For peak rates it was a bummer to experience. 

Finally, pro shops were completely wiped out of anything with popular sizing (medium, large, XL). I went with a hefty merch budget and didn’t get halfway there. 

In order, the rankings for me are Trails, Pac, Mac, Bandon, and Sheep very very far away. I played the worst at trails but it’s such a nice walk and none of the holes seem out of place or uncharacteristic. This was a big complaint of Bandon of mine: the 5th and 15th holes are borderline unfair with a northern wind. 17 and 18 at Bandon are also letdowns compared to the rest of that golf course. 

Forgot to mention: wind burn is a thing, amazed I haven’t seen it mentioned before. Pack some face moisturizer in your golf bag and lather up during the round. Your face will be thankful. 

Edited by italianstallion
  • Like 2

[sign here]

13 hours ago, italianstallion said:

Just got back from Bandon. Overall it was good, maybe a 7 out of 10. 

The Good: Obviously the views are fantastic. We thought the Chrome Lake rooms were very nice in person compared to the pictures available online (although the bathrooms could use a minor refresh). The spa/sauna/tubs are a great way to recover before and after teeing off. We thought the food at the Forge and Trails End was great.  One of the caddies we got was absolutely excellent. Bandon was in fantastic shape the first time we played it. Trails was in great shape as well. Didn’t see many large groups or guys treating the place like a golfer’s Vegas, which was nice. Energy balls are everything they are hyped up to be. I enjoyed Old Mac more than I thought I would, and thought it was a perfect fit for the land it’s on. 

The Bad: The biggest is that one of the caddies given to us was absolutely not a golfer. Bad reads (like, total opposite reads), not cleaning clubs, incorrect yardages, lost headcovers, zero insight into how a yardage is changed by the wind or how it plays. He was only good at carrying our bags. Yes we could have fired him, but the resort should absolutely not be trotting out someone like that and putting us in a predicament about whether to fire him or be nice and just let it go.

McKees service is absolutely horrendous. For a group of four guys it took us an hour and a half to receive our food one night, and two hours the next night. That second night three of us got our food while one of the guys in our group was told his would be right out. 20 minutes later after we had finished ours, his still hadn’t come out so we told them to just take it off the bill. Food was sub-par from a quality perspective. 

Sheep ranch greens were overall puttable on 15 holes, unputtable on 3 others. While Sheep Ranch has some interesting features, the course’s only defense is the wind and if we ever went back we wouldn’t play it again. The Preserve is a better golf course. Old Mac greens were a bit better for the most part but a couple holes were rough. Pac Dunes had some trouble areas but nowhere near as bad as Sheep and Old Mac. The second round we had on Bandon was on a day with significantly less wind than the first day we played it, so we were very excited to get another lap. However we arrived to approaches that had been top dressed and therefore the course didn’t play properly as far as using the fronts of greens to access pin locations. For peak rates it was a bummer to experience. 

Finally, pro shops were completely wiped out of anything with popular sizing (medium, large, XL). I went with a hefty merch budget and didn’t get halfway there. 

In order, the rankings for me are Trails, Pac, Mac, Bandon, and Sheep very very far away. I played the worst at trails but it’s such a nice walk and none of the holes seem out of place or uncharacteristic. This was a big complaint of Bandon of mine: the 5th and 15th holes are borderline unfair with a northern wind. 17 and 18 at Bandon are also letdowns compared to the rest of that golf course. 

Forgot to mention: wind burn is a thing, amazed I haven’t seen it mentioned before. Pack some face moisturizer in your golf bag and lather up during the round. Your face will be thankful. 

Thanks for helping me manage expectations (upcoming trip in August).

Late last August I went to Sand Valley and had the opposite thing happen.  For Polos, 1/4 zips/vests, etc. there was next to nothing in a small, and then just a few more things in a medium.  But nearly everything was available in L, XL and often 2XL.  I asked about it and the guy in the shop said they don't order very many smalls and they are usually gone early.  Also then a lot of the headcovers were down to a single size; and usually fairway or hybrid - a lot of the driver sized head covers were sold out.  I am hoping there are some polos in small and a few headcovers available when I go to Bandon in August.

Food service at SV was also very slow.  The resort is newer and only has 2 restaurants in the evening, we would place our drink and food orders right away, drinks would take 20 minutes, food took 45+ minutes each night.  But as of right now, that isn't all that different from most restaurants near me.  My wife and I stopped going out to eat as a simple date night dinner went from being 1.5 hours and $80 to $120+ and a 3 hour 'experience.'

• Like 1