2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

36 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

We had a stoned guy make a panini. We watched closely, but he did a good job putting it together. He then put it in the panini press and started to do something else. About 15 minutes later, I said “excess me, is our panini ready?”. He looked around confused for a bit, then saw that it was is the press. “No. It’s in the press”.

i guess they just dont smoke much . Ive run into a lot of “high”ly functioning people in portland. 😂 

In other news, i really want to change sheep ranch out this weekend due to the greens, but my cousin hasnt played it and wants to. I truly believe that its the best opening hole on the resort and would like to play it again at some point. However im torn as there no good tee times to replace it with at this point. We would be doing 18 (time tbd because were offsite) 36 ( booked because were onsite that night) and 18. Sheep is the first round on the 36 day. 

thoughts? Tough it out? 

Edited by jpdx

39 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Played Bandon this morning, started as beautiful morning, sunny with little wind.  On the 8th hole the skys opened up but not rain, hail. 8th green and looking back on 3rd green from 9 teebox.

Some buddies are there right now and must have been a couple holes behind you as I watch them play 8 in similar conditions. Crazy.

Your group have a guy with orange pants??

8 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Some buddies are there right now and must have been a couple holes behind you as I watch them play 8 in similar conditions. Crazy.

Your group have a guy with orange pants??

That was us, I'm a single this trip and got paired with the orange pants group, super nice guys.  We all thought it was the crazy but makes for a good story.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jpdx said:

i guess they just dont smoke much . Ive run into a lot of “high”ly functioning people in portland. 😂 

In other news, i really want to change sheep ranch out this weekend due to the greens, but my cousin hasnt played it and wants to. I truly believe that its the best opening hole on the resort and would like to play it. However im torn as there no good tee times to replace it with at this point. We would be doing 18 (time tbd because were offsite) 36 ( booked because were onsite that night) and 18. Sheep is the first round on the 36 day. 

thoughts? Tough it out? 

Go for it. Bumpy greens on a spectacular golf course is right up there on the list of first world problems.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

^awesome write up kkelway, loved every word of it. Gearing up for our first Bandon trip in mid June, and i wondered about the value vs. price paid in the summer months vs. value season, and you made a good point about if you’re spending the time and money anyway, you might as well pay a little extra for the best conditions. 

[sign here]

18 minutes ago, italianstallion said:

^awesome write up kkelway, loved every word of it. Gearing up for our first Bandon trip in mid June, and i wondered about the value vs. price paid in the summer months vs. value season, and you made a good point about if you’re spending the time and money anyway, you might as well pay a little extra for the best conditions. 

I agree, but the only thing with Oregon is there is no guarantee for good weather here in the summer.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

4 minutes ago, doc52 said:

I agree, but the only thing with Oregon is there is no guarantee for good weather here in the summer.

Whoops, forgot to caveat with “best chance for the best conditions” haha. If not, I’ve still got goretex shoes and great rain gear and I’m ready to play every day in a downpour. 

• Like 1

[sign here]

2 hours ago, kkelway said:

·       If not renting a car, I highly recommend arranging with Bandon Yellow Cab. Although not as fancy as the huge van services that have drinks, etc., they will pick your 4-some up in a minivan, all the clubs/luggage will fit, they’ve been on time the two times I used them, and it costs like $50-70 one way for up to 4 people (e.g. $15 each).

Is this to OTH or EUG?

We’ve got 12 guys going in June.  A bunch of us got together last night to discuss logistics for the trip.  It’s actually just an excuse to get together, drink whisky, and talk golf, but it sounds like a legitimate purpose to the wives!  A few of the comments the group made regarding course most looking forward to:

Pacific-because I know it’s great, but I just haven’t “gotten” it yet .

Sheep-because we played it in the most abysmal weather ever and didn’t get to really play the course.

OldMac-to see how I like it since having now played in Scotland.

Trails-just great golf without distractions.

Bandon-because it’s the first course we play on the trip and, dammit, it means we’re at Bandon!

Can’t wait!

• Like 2

Typically not a survey guy, but after our March trip and the current state of Sheep Ranch I felt feedback was needed. 

I truly appreciate the Bandon team member’s time to reply to my survey, but to use winter rates as an excuse for the current condition of the greens is a joke. 

Our group is primarily from the PNW and visit every winter. We do not expect pristine conditions, but we also expect to be able to have a chance to make putts when at Bandon. 

I’m confident that the greens won’t get better for some time. 

BFB9F931-F3DB-4223-A436-D093F728E513.jpeg.386e89fc13dbc3700c1a8716a98d5a62.jpeg

I should’ve taken pictures as i just completed a trip. 

SR greens were a lot better than i was prepared for due to the feedback in this very thread and was glad i played it. Is it as nice as the others? No. Could it have been better? Perhaps yes, but i found it acceptable given the weather, poa invasion, and definitely better than full core aeration currently experienced in and around Portland area courses.

perhaps the last few weeks with a slight increase in temps - and more sun, has brought the fescue out of dormancy. 

Edited by jpdx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, doc52 said:

Typically not a survey guy, but after our March trip and the current state of Sheep Ranch I felt feedback was needed. 

I truly appreciate the Bandon team member’s time to reply to my survey, but to use winter rates as an excuse for the current condition of the greens is a joke. 

Our group is primarily from the PNW and visit every winter. We do not expect pristine conditions, but we also expect to be able to have a chance to make putts when at Bandon. 

I’m confident that the greens won’t get better for some time. 

BFB9F931-F3DB-4223-A436-D093F728E513.jpeg.386e89fc13dbc3700c1a8716a98d5a62.jpeg

Surprising for Bandon. This person needs customer service training. I’d be annoyed. There’s no need to be lecturing about makeup excuses. They should’ve just said thank you for the feedback, we recognize it needs to be improved and will get it right. Then give you guys one replay credit on your next trip. 

Having said that, I’m not sure it’s possible for them to warn visitors prior to, as all the courses are jam packed from this point til winter. They just need to give a tiny sorry consolation to those who take the time to give good feedback on the issue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kkelway said:

Surprising for Bandon. This person needs customer service training. I’d be annoyed. There’s no need to be lecturing about makeup excuses. They should’ve just said thank you for the feedback, we recognize it needs to be improved and will get it right. Then give you guys one replay credit on your next trip. 

Having said that, I’m not sure it’s possible for them to warn visitors prior to, as all the courses are jam packed from this point til winter. They just need to give a tiny sorry consolation to those who take the time to give good feedback on the issue. 

Would rather have them limit SR rounds and get the greens right instead of a makeup round.

It wouldn’t be great for folks who’ve waited a year for their trip, but also the current state of the greens aren’t worth the wait anyways. 

I don't see how limiting rounds on SR helps. The fescue nneds warmer weather to grow, it's that simple.

And for the longer term the poa needs more time to takeover. It sounds like it will be an issue from Nov-Apr for a couple more seasons.

FWIW, I was there in Nov 2021 and the poa hadn't fully invaded yet and they were fine for greens of that age.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

9 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I don't see how limiting rounds on SR helps. The fescue nneds warmer weather to grow, it's that simple.

And for the longer term the poa needs more time to takeover. It sounds like it will be an issue from Nov-Apr for a couple more seasons.

FWIW, I was there in Nov 2021 and the poa hadn't fully invaded yet and they were fine for greens of that age.

I was alluding to the idea that they should redo the greens and make them full poa like Chambers instead of playing the waiting game. 

We were at the resort from 4/17 thru 4/21. This is our third trip and I learn something each time so this isn’t a full review but some notes from our experience. Bandon Dunes is still our favorite place for a guys golf trip and we’re looking forward to returning in a few years.

Food - pretty average at the nicer spots but the quick stuff was above average. Forge was disappointing. Pacific while usually good was only so so but the cookie dessert remains awesome. Trails was great for breakfast and lunch. The Pastrami sandwich at Sheep Ranch was outrageously good. We really liked the breakfast and tacos at Charlotte’s. We all felt like the cocktails on the course and in the bars were a little light with some stingy pours.

Weather - the worst we’ve experienced and we usually go in March or April. We had deluges of rain, hail, 40-50 mph winds. We had 1 good day of weather out of 4.

Golf - this was the first time we played Sheep Ranch and we thought it’s a pretty average layout. The greens were abysmal. I finally “saw” Old Mac and was able to play it the way it should be so that jumped up my list of favorites. It’s a brute but such a thought provoking course. We all still love Trails. Had fun on Bandon Dunes. PAC remains all of our favorite. Old Mac greens seemed like they were on their way to being better and we thought they held lines pretty well.

Service - the service was outstanding across the board. We had a few weird situations like things we lost and room transfers and the folks at the resort were great. The shuttle folks were so polite and engaging. We had one grumpy bartender but I don’t think I could stay chipper all the time with all the rowdy groups.

Rooms - we stayed in chrome lake lofts and lily pond doubles. The rooms are what they are… a place to sleep but they’re getting pretty long in the tooth. It looked like they are starting to renovate some of the chrome lake rooms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just returned from Bandon this evening....Played Pac and Trails on Friday, Bandon and Old Mac on Saturday, Sheep Ranch this morning.

Was surprised by the bumpiness of greens at Old Mac and Sheep Ranch.  4th time playing both courses and they were in much better condition the past 2 Aprils.  Caddie did an excellent job explaining why they are in that shape.  If you are trying to play your best golf / score your best...I'd play the other three courses.  Me....I've change all my clubs in the last 3 months, expectations for playing my best were low and I'm primarily concerned with soaking up the experience more than playing my best golf, so I enjoyed all the courses.

Weather was really enjoyable....a few light rains, a little wind early on Friday...then on Saturday and Sunday it was upper 50's, mostly sunny with a very light breeze.

Food - What really stood out was the breakfast burrito at Sheep Ranch, Brisket Sandwich at Trails; Steaks, carrots, mushrooms at the Forge. I wouldn't order the Scallops, very small portion, although it's impressive that the chef can make little potato fritters that look just like scallops.  We ordered family style and were sharing Entrees and 2 of us ate one of the "Scallops" that turned out to be a potato.

All in all, great trip, great memories, (PunchBowl is the most fun) can't wait to go back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading these reviews have been extremely helpful. Thank you to those that have posted.

I'm heading to Bandon in a week and a half for the first time. Coming from central Texas I have a pretty good idea for handling the wind but not necessarily the cold (for me) and rain. My plan is numerous thin layers (merino base, fleece lined long sleeve, wind proof quarter zip, and lightweight rain jacket if needed). I've got the changing out of socks/shoes part covered. I keep going back and forth on whether I'm overdoing it or not including enough.

Typically, do first timers mistakenly under or over do it?

Paradym 9° - Ventus Velocore Blue

Apex UW 17°, 21° - Ventus Velocore Red

AI Smoke 4h,5h

AI Smoke HL 6-AW

MD5 54°, 58°

Byron Morgan Epic Day - Rincon Neck - 355g Carbon

Vice Pro Plus

Vessel Lux XV / Vessel Player III DXR

6 minutes ago, Kaptain said:

Reading these reviews have been extremely helpful. Thank you to those that have posted.

I'm heading to Bandon in a week and a half for the first time. Coming from central Texas I have a pretty good idea for handling the wind but not necessarily the cold (for me) and rain. My plan is numerous thin layers (merino base, fleece lined long sleeve, wind proof quarter zip, and lightweight rain jacket if needed). I've got the changing out of socks/shoes part covered. I keep going back and forth on whether I'm overdoing it or not including enough.

First timers typically overdo it, but I've overdone it 3 times. I think the biggest mistake is bringing winter type gear as it's usually not that cold that it's needed, especially because you're walking. And when it's raining as long as your rain gear holds up you're not cold to the core as the jackets, even if they breathe, tend to keep the warmth in. You can usually get by with a couple quarter zips and a good wind/rain jacket, and a layer or two, less if it's warm.

2 hours ago, Kaptain said:

I always used to over pack....base layers and such.  Id feel great on the first tee, but as soon as you start walking, you start shedding layers.

This time of year you should be good to go with a golf shirt, quarter zip, insulated vest and rain jacket.  That usually is good down to 40 degrees in addition to the wind.  Slacks and rain pants usually suffice.

Rain gloves are a must and if you are worried about cold hands, pick up some cold weather gloves before you go (Callaway?) as that's the only thing they don't stock in their proshops.

If you are playing 36 and it's raining alot, I usually take a few extra underwear,  shirts, 2 pairs of shoes and an extra rain outfit so I can change in between rounds.  It's nice to be dry with fresh socks and shoes for the 2nd 18.

And......if you forget something, they have alot of cool stuff in their proshops. I always pick up at least one item , it reminds me of my trip and all the fun I had!

Was just there over the weekend and already putting the next trip on the schedule!

You're gonna love the experience!

6 hours ago, VNutz said:

Randomly checked the course cams this morning, looks like they're aerating BD today.

Heading there Thursday, so hoping for minimal impact. I know in the past the reports suggested that they used needle tine aeration, so it's less impactful. But looking at the amount of dirt they were removing from the surface of the 18th green via the course cam, it sure looks like core aeration.