Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

On a side note, this really bums me out. I played SR at the end of 2020 and it was by far my favorite course to play and the greens were excellent.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

9 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Thats the problem. For every angry guy on a message board that wont go back there are 10 guys not on social media waiting to take his room and tee slot. For most (?) its a once in a lifetime trip, if the greens suck, oh well. They lose almost nothing financially from allowing it to play out like this. Whereas closing for a year or two - thats a whole other issue.

Not one mention on any of their social media accounts about how bad things are. In fact its the opposite - they keep posting pictures and reviews about how amazing SR is.

I saw quite a few comments on one of their instagram posts a few days ago about how embarassing the greens were.

24 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Thats the problem. For every angry guy on a message board that wont go back there are 10 guys not on social media waiting to take his room and tee slot. For most (?) its a once in a lifetime trip, if the greens suck, oh well. They lose almost nothing financially from allowing it to play out like this. Whereas closing for a year or two - thats a whole other issue.

Not one mention on any of their social media accounts about how bad things are. In fact its the opposite - they keep posting pictures and reviews about how amazing SR is.

I told them on one of their recent posts that they needed to shut it down and fix the greens. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, doc52 said:

The only way they get better is if they rip them out and start fresh like Chambers did.

agreed. They need to stop play and address the greens. 

9 hours ago, Kernel said:

Here's what I don't get. Why does it take someone seeing trip reports on a golf message board to know this? Look, I understand the variability of conditions at Bandon. I've played at various times when greens were not ideal and had no issue. I played SR two years ago with young greens that weren't great, but didn't really impact my enjoyment. This seems different. When caddies are actively encouraging players to skip it, when people are having to play automatic 2-putt, when greens have mounds of dirt on them, you can't ignore the problem and keep charging premium rates without acknowledgement or a concession.  I can imagine if I wasn't aware, walking off 18 at SR and feeling like I was hustled . . . $200 for this? And no one said anything? That's not the Bandon way.

I gave direct feedback to the pro shop crew, as well as on my post trip online feed back. The pro shop crew kinda were sheepish (no pun intended) about it, and agreed the greens were beat up and apologized. I really wish I took a picture of some of the putts/greens. I would roll them, and the ball would pick up all the mud/sand on the green (it would end up looking like one of those multicolored balls that confirmed you were rolling the ball end over end). Honestly I'd be upset if my muni's greens looked like that and were charging $50, much less what Bandon charges. I, too was there 2 years ago, and played when it first opened. It really seems that the greens have not gotten any better, and maybe have even gotten worse. 

Realistically, regardless of the greens, nobody who is going to Bandon for the first time is going to pass up a round on SR given the hype and all the ocean holes. I'm not a fan at all of the course, and feel like they just shoved as many holes by the ocean as possible. But the reality is, a lot of ppl seem to play purely for the views, and not care about the golf. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Madhoshi said:

Realistically, regardless of the greens, nobody who is going to Bandon for the first time is going to pass up a round on SR given the hype and all the ocean holes. I'm not a fan at all of the course, and feel like they just shoved as many holes by the ocean as possible. But the reality is, a lot of ppl seem to play purely for the views, and not care about the golf. 

You’re right about this. Going in June for the first time, and what will probably be the last time for a long time as I transition into the stage of life where I start a family. I’m absolutely bummed to hear the reports and see the photos on Instagram, but I’m not not going to play it. Thankfully we’ve only got it scheduled once as a replay round, so it feels a little less bad.

But even with that said, the lack of communication from the resort seems counter to the perception I have of the operation of the resort from my read of “Dream Golf.”

4 hours ago, Madhoshi said:

agreed. They need to stop play and address the greens. 

I gave direct feedback to the pro shop crew, as well as on my post trip online feed back. The pro shop crew kinda were sheepish (no pun intended) about it, and agreed the greens were beat up and apologized. I really wish I took a picture of some of the putts/greens. I would roll them, and the ball would pick up all the mud/sand on the green (it would end up looking like one of those multicolored balls that confirmed you were rolling the ball end over end). Honestly I'd be upset if my muni's greens looked like that and were charging $50, much less what Bandon charges. I, too was there 2 years ago, and played when it first opened. It really seems that the greens have not gotten any better, and maybe have even gotten worse. 

3 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Really sounds like they need to shut SR down for a few months and get things back under control

Obviously a tough call, but Streamsong did something similar last summer when facing dire conditions

Bandon historically has made decision that put golf first. This will be a test for them to see if they step up and that now. Sucks that people booked 18months ago to play SR, but they go fix it up. 

2 hours ago, Pepetito said:

I noted that they still only have rates online thru April 2024.....but are taking reservations thru October 2024?  Is that common?

Trying to build a budget for my group that tentatively plans to be going for the first time in October 2025.

Yes

6 hours ago, Pepetito said:

I noted that they still only have rates online thru April 2024.....but are taking reservations thru October 2024?  Is that common?

Trying to build a budget for my group that tentatively plans to be going for the first time in October 2025.

Yes, it's common for reservations to precede the posting of rates. When you receive the confirmation email the night you make a reservation, it will say [number of players] @ $TBD in the Green Fees and Nightly Room Rate columns. Then when they post the rates on the website, you should receive an updated confirmation email with the rates.

5 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Hard to say what ‘25 rates will be. I booked Sand Valley for ‘24 and they don’t know those rates yet. I’m figuring $20 per night lodging and $20 per round over the ‘23 prices as a start. 

Here is an estimate of what the remainder of 2024 and 2025 rates could be:

1322607821_bandonrates.png.b09b253dd6b2d791607d9fb0ea6f5868.png

Some notes:

1. Golf rates are for resort guests.
  2. The remainder of 2024 is projected based on a two-year CAGR from 2021 to 2023.
  3. Similarly, January through April 2025 is projected based on a three-year CAGR from 2021 to 2024, with May through December extrapolating #2 above one additional year.
  4. I've never thought of staying in Grove Cottages, Lodge Suites, or Chrome Lofts and haven't tracked those numbers.
Edited by jackbauer
  • Like 2

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

2 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Hard to say what ‘25 rates will be. I booked Sand Valley for ‘24 and they don’t know those rates yet. I’m figuring $20 per night lodging and $20 per round over the ‘23 prices as a start. 

Not to get too off topic but I booked Sand Valley for 2024 too, did they charge you a deposit?  They told me they were going to charge me a $1900 deposit but I never got the charge on my card.  Not complaining but just thought that was odd.

1 hour ago, eboettne said:

Not to get too off topic but I booked Sand Valley for 2024 too, did they charge you a deposit?  They told me they were going to charge me a $1900 deposit but I never got the charge on my card.  Not complaining but just thought that was odd.

yes they charged me a deposit 

13 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

Sheep Ranch #1 green

2C1A0F79-1FF2-44B7-B758-7A44C5F2700D.jpeg

Ya that sucks, a) because it's in bad shape when people are paying to be there but it sucks more that fescue isn't going to be feasible by the looks of it.  Going to full poa will probably affect how mac plays more than sheep though. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

1 hour ago, Edaw68 said:

Yeah it’s definitely gonna go all poa like the others. If it ends up like the first 3 courses, fine, those are great.

I guess I don't understand agronomy enough to know why courses in this region attempt to have non-poa greens when they inevitably take over. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bsirota said:

Solo golf sabbatical: 9 rounds + preserve from Thurs -Mon. 

Echo Sheep greens terrible, course in general pretty ratty. Mac suspect greens but not necessarily taking away from playability. 

Everything else, spectacular.  Service all over was excellent, tho stayed off-site. Bandon Inn is great central location. A stumble up & down the hill to food/beer.

Caddie Ben from Chico was solid as hell. Point & shoot. Literally only missed 2 reads by a hair over 162 holes. We walked through some gnarly stuff Thurs morn & Monday PM.  Hats off brother.

If staying off site (in town)...the romesco @ Edgewaters was stupid good.  Bandon Brewing, solid stop w/good+ beer, really good pizza and best chowder around. A sunny afternoon lunch at Tony's is (in this Midwesterner's opinion) a quintessential NW Pacific coast experience.

Shout out to the northern cali homies after joining up mid round & hanging fireside at PAC Sunday Eve.

Chowder Rating (first ever for Bandon rando thread ?)

1. Bandon Brewing - By. A. Mile.

2. King Neptune - roadside stand on the 101 in Reedsport

3. Tony's Crab Shack

4. PAC Grill - seafood chowder

5. Sheep Ranch

6. Edgewaters 

7. Crows Nest/Wheelhouse (in town)

8. Fish & Chips Chowder House

9. Bedrocks Pizza & Chowder House (Reedsport) D.A.L. by a mile 

Final thought.  Find some time to head to Bandon Beach either early AM or @ sunset. Hop over the dune and hang out at the edge of the Pacific for a bit.  Preferably before heading home.  It's a powerful capstone on a trip to an amazing place.

Chowder, out.

From the dairy intolerant of the group, go screw yourself. 😊

21 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Bad call. This is the thread to add it too where everyone will find it for years. 

Well, in a couple weeks there will be a lot more pages in this epic thread, and rather than make people scroll through to find this info, I decided to make a new thread that’s easy to get to.

But I’ll make it easy for ya…

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

4 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I guess I don't understand agronomy enough to know why courses in this region attempt to have non-poa greens when they inevitably take over. 

I think it was mallrat (who works at one of the best public course in the PDX area) mentioned that it’s a matter of there not being any good source nursery from which they can get poa seed/sod

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

9 hours ago, spud3 said:

I think it was mallrat (who works at one of the best public course in the PDX area) mentioned that it’s a matter of there not being any good source nursery from which they can get poa seed/sod

One of the Youtube guys I follow in the UK has an episode where the greenskeeper created a new green using the hole punches from the existing greens. I don't remember the specifics of how much time/money it saved but I thought it was a great idea to get a new green with the same grass as all the others.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"