2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

51 minutes ago, Chilidog said:

Also, I don’t care how great Bandon is, it sounds miserable to have to play golf in a Balaclava mask. 

Why we canceled our trip the day before we flew out, as much as we all hate the decision it was the correct one this time. 

Also decided that we are going to man up next time and book in May when we can fly direct from DIA to OTH... we've earned it

• Like 3

9 hours ago, eboettne said:

Why we canceled our trip the day before we flew out, as much as we all hate the decision it was the correct one this time. 

Also decided that we are going to man up next time and book in May when we can fly direct from DIA to OTH... we've earned it

Sorry to hear that. The weather typically is "pretty good" it unusual to have a full day of bad weather, and really weird to have a bunch of days back to back. 

I typically go in February and have around 60 days on the property. Been rained out once (still played nine and received cheers when arrived back at the club house as it was REALLY bad)😀

But luck for your next trip...

11 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Sorry to hear that. The weather typically is "pretty good" it unusual to have a full day of bad weather, and really weird to have a bunch of days back to back. 

I typically go in February and have around 60 days on the property. Been rained out once (still played nine and received cheers when arrived back at the club house as it was REALLY bad)😀

Yeah we aren't shy about having bad weather coming from the Midwest, if it was high 40s with lows around 40 degrees with heavy rain the whole time we'd have been there.  But when 6+ inches of snow gets dumped on the resort the day before you're leaving AND the highs for the rest of your trip is 42-43 with lows in the 20s and rain(which could and did turn to snow) we were a little skittish.  It turned into the question of would we even be able to play close to as much golf as we wanted to given the travel, financial and time investment we were making.   We just got really unlucky, wish we would've booked early February but hindsight being 20/20 and all.

1 hour ago, Chilidog said:

Another random question: is the Punchbowl lighted after dark? I didn’t think so but one of my buddies says it was when he went. 

I don't remember it being that way, unless that's changed in recent years. The Pacific Grill does overlook it and does help light it up. It can be played in the dark though, somewhat. My first year we brought glow in the dark balls and had a blast out there.

19 hours ago, 2bGood said:

when I was there Super Bowl weekend and a few days later there was a big group I was drinking with, younger guy said he got data on the previous 15 years of February weather and he said Super Bowl and the week after were the best days the prior 15 years, obviously every year is different but thought that was interesting 

14 minutes ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

On the Punchbowl green as I type this. Definitely no lights. 

Firsthand knowledge is always the best.  But the sun doesn't set there for another hour.  Maybe the lighting is flown in by small alien spacecraft when it gets dark...

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

3 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

when I was there Super Bowl weekend and a few days later there was a big group I was drinking with, younger guy said he got data on the previous 15 years of February weather and he said Super Bowl and the week after were the best days the prior 15 years, obviously every year is different but thought that was interesting 

Yes, that used to be one of our 'secrets'. Then Golf Digest or one of the big magazines did an article about Feb being the best time to go and we had to fight a bit more for the tee times. Of course now everything is booked fast except over Christmas. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 11:26 PM, Sushiyoshi said:

We go every year on President's Day weekend which usually follows superbowl weekend.  It was perfect weather this year but we've had some bad days in previous years.

I have been taking a large group of guys annually on Presidents’ Day weekend (thur-sun) for a number of years. This year the only particular worry was frost. 

Hopefully this year was an anomaly for how cold it has been. 

This is one of those things that I *think* I already know the answer to but want to ask anyways... so here goes.

Have a Bandon trip coming up in June.  Booked my flight yesterday, but (probably subliminally) booked the return flight a day late accidentally.  Before I call the airline to change my flight, what are the chances of my staying an extra night and playing a full day as a single (don't care which courses)??  Obviously, I have to figure out lodging for an extra night also and I'm well aware that it's peak season and I can call the pro shop to check availability but just wanted to throw it out there before I have to crush my own dream of accidentally getting a whole extra day of solo golf at Bandon. 🙏

As a single you've got a pretty good shot.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Extra golf, almost certain, especially if you are not picky.  Room on property, I give you less than 1% chance of scoring a room....Don't despair, Bandon Inn is your answer.  Clean, comfortable, convenient and probably will save you a few bucks.  Almost all my trips now, I book Bandon Inn on both ends of the trip so that I can maximize my days on property.

• Like 1

I should caveat my post, there may be rooms available, especially as @ThermalDanstates, near the 30 day cancellation date.  My experience is that it's mostly larger rooms and doubles that are available, things like chrome lake doubles and lofts, etc.  The single rooms in the inn and the lodge are the hard ones to come by.  Either way, good luck and enjoy the extra golf.

10 hours ago, jrg75 said:

Extra golf, almost certain, especially if you are not picky.  Room on property, I give you less than 1% chance of scoring a room....Don't despair, Bandon Inn is your answer.  Clean, comfortable, convenient and probably will save you a few bucks.  Almost all my trips now, I book Bandon Inn on both ends of the trip so that I can maximize my days on property.

+1 on this.

Get on the waiting list for a single room at the resort and keep calling.  You might get lucky.  You also might be willing/able to pay for one of the double rooms if one of those are available.  But Bandon Inn is the fallback.  Make a reservation now and you can cancel up to 3 days (I think) out.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, Chilidog said:

On my way to Bandon right now and just realized I forgot my rain hood for my bag. Crap. 

@Chilidog - The moment I plan a trip I start a list of things I need to take.  Nothing is overlooked because the list is growing for 2-6 months.  Also, my young son and I take a trip to the ocean (up the coast from Bandon) every August.  I have a standing computer generated list for that.  And one for my son!  Never ended up on the beach without the sand castle-building tools.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

@Chilidog - The moment I plan a trip I start a list of things I need to take.  Nothing is overlooked because the list is growing for 2-6 months.  Also, my young son and I take a trip to the ocean (up the coast from Bandon) every August.  I have a standing computer generated list for that.  And one for my son!  Never ended up on the beach without the sand castle-building tools.

You're a good Dad!

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, sweetcelery said:

This is one of those things that I *think* I already know the answer to but want to ask anyways... so here goes.

Have a Bandon trip coming up in June.  Booked my flight yesterday, but (probably subliminally) booked the return flight a day late accidentally.  Before I call the airline to change my flight, what are the chances of my staying an extra night and playing a full day as a single (don't care which courses)??  Obviously, I have to figure out lodging for an extra night also and I'm well aware that it's peak season and I can call the pro shop to check availability but just wanted to throw it out there before I have to crush my own dream of accidentally getting a whole extra day of solo golf at Bandon. 🙏

On 3/10/2023 at 2:18 PM, ThermalDan said:

You can always call on a room 30 days out as that’s the last day when people cancel reservations with a full refund

19 hours ago, spud3 said:

+1 on this.

Get on the waiting list for a single room at the resort and keep calling.  You might get lucky.  You also might be willing/able to pay for one of the double rooms if one of those are available.  But Bandon Inn is the fallback.  Make a reservation now and you can cancel up to 3 days (I think) out.

99% sure you get golf in as a single. Not a big deal. There are always single spots. Even it fully booked the days before, guys get hurt, drunk, sick, called home early etc. Just way to many people on site for there not to be cancellations. Just let the pro-shop know you want to fill in and hand out at the Bandon Pro-shop. They will even send a shuttle direct for you. 

As for a room. Again I have never had a challenge for one night when trying just around the cancellation deadline. I start calling 45 days out. In my experience I have never been successful on the waitlist - so I do find calling in each day is the ticket. 

Room is a bit tougher.

• Thanks 1

A difficult question for the well travelled golfer on here.  If you had the choice between doing Bandon Dunes or Scotland (Old Course + Carnouiste + few other St Andrews options) which would you take?  I'm with a group from Ireland that is looking at this at moment ... We have played the main Irish links reasonably regularly (Tralee / Ballybunion / Portrush / Ballyliffin / Portmarnock etc) so the links experience is not new for us.  Travel to Scotland v Oregon is so much easier from Ireland but wondering what the added advantage of Bandon is v Scotland for those who may have done both trips.

I have done both the Bandon and St. A trips, but from California, so the travel experience is the opposite of yours. 

St A. is going to offer a more touristy travel feel. There is more to do in the way of the towns you visit and people you meet.  At Bandon, you are there for the golf, and really only the golf.  Most do not leave the resort property.  

As for the quality of courses, I won’t entertain the questions, as both offer great golf. Of course Scotland will have the history, and Bandon has the convenience of multiple course right next to one another. It is easier to get to all the Bandon courses as there is a system of free shuttles to move you around and you are only dealing with one business when it comes to paying and getting tee times.  Bandon is a one stop shop and probably easier to organize.

1 hour ago, MCIrl said:

A difficult question for the well travelled golfer on here.  If you had the choice between doing Bandon Dunes or Scotland (Old Course + Carnouiste + few other St Andrews options) which would you take?  I'm with a group from Ireland that is looking at this at moment ... We have played the main Irish links reasonably regularly (Tralee / Ballybunion / Portrush / Ballyliffin / Portmarnock etc) so the links experience is not new for us.  Travel to Scotland v Oregon is so much easier from Ireland but wondering what the added advantage of Bandon is v Scotland for those who may have done both trips.

The main advantage to Bandon over Scotland is the proximity / density of the courses. With Bandon once you arrive on site you are a shuttle ride away from 5 of the best courses on the planet and never have to leave the property. Everything is there. For some, this is also a negative if you are looking to explore. There is nothing really of interest in the Bandon area. 

If you head to the St Andrews area (or any of several other areas in Scotland) you will have to drive to get access to the same number of courses. For the St Andrews area specifically the drives aren't very long but you will need to spend some time in your car. Driving on the other side of the road isn't an issue for you coming from Ireland but it can be intimidating for people coming from the US (or Canada in my case).

If you are into history, the courses in Scotland certainly win in that category and if you're looking to get into town for the pub scene that will be better in Scotland.

To summarize, for a golf your brains out experience, go to Bandon. For a golf experience with some history and touristy stuff thrown in, Scotland wins.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"