Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Thanks, do you know the story?

Original story:  https://beyondthecontour.com/whitman-axland-cutten-tapped-for-bandons-par-3-course-replacing-tom-doak/

Just posted in the last hour on BeyondTheContour.com: First Look: Whitman, Axland & Cutten's Bandon Dunes Routing 

From DreamGolf.com, an article on the routing for the new par 3 course.  Looks like road access will be right across from the third fairway at Bandon Trails. 

• Like 1

I'll be curious to hear what Doak says on this topic.  I am sure he will chime in on another forum.  In recent years he has made sporadic comments that eventually Mike Keiser (and particularly his boys) will start to give opportunities to a new (or different) wave of architects, as a way to diversify and kick off the next generation of brand name architects.  Wonder if there is an element of that here, or if Doak simply was stubborn on routing and ideas and relinquished the project to someone who had a better vision in the eyes of MK.  It's not like Doak "needs" this project, he and Renaissance already have a full plate I am sure.  

1 hour ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

Original story:  https://beyondthecontour.com/whitman-axland-cutten-tapped-for-bandons-par-3-course-replacing-tom-doak/

Just posted in the last hour on BeyondTheContour.com: First Look: Whitman, Axland & Cutten's Bandon Dunes Routing 

From DreamGolf.com, an article on the routing for the new par 3 course.  Looks like road access will be right across from the third fairway at Bandon Trails. 

Do I have a right that as it stands now the order of courses are:

Next Course - Par Three by W, A & C

River Dunes - Full length - David MK

Another 18 - W, A & C

Personally I thought W, A & C did a poor job on the Nest and really missed the point of having a par three course as part of a golf destination, so I hope they do netter on the this one. 

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

Do I have a right that as it stands now the order of courses are:

Next Course - Par Three by W, A & C

River Dunes - Full length - David MK

Another 18 - W, A & C

Personally I thought W, A & C did a poor job on the Nest and really missed the point of having a par three course as part of a golf destination, so I hope they do netter on the this one. 

WAC are doing the par 3 course at Bandon, but they're not doing a future full-length 18 hole course at the resort.  They are building The Tribute at Thornburgh Resort, north of Bend (just west of Eagle Crest, for those that know the Central Oregon area).  That was going to be Coore & Crenshaw previously.

• Thanks 1

I know the Bandon area can be a tough place to find full time staff for...but man I feel like there is only so much they can add to the resort before they really have to bump up the amount of available lodging/dining options.

I dont know where that line is when you cross over into the realm of "we have way more golf available than we can reasonably support" - but I feel like we might be on the road to that point.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Hello, been following this thread recently as i've booked for March/April 2024. Coming from Ireland so i can definitely say that it is easier to get to Ireland than Bandon. More than likely will arrive into San Fran (direct flight from Dublin) and probably drive to Bandon via I5. Won't  get on the road until 5.30pm so any local advice on a stop on way up.  Would like to get a good bit up the road as i'm planning to play in the pm the next day and don't want too much driving that morning.  I potential have a direct PDX option as well but may need to juggle my starting days in Bandon if i went that route via car.  I'm ruling out the North bend transfer option as it's not really working with days and flight times.  Any insights / local knowledge would be welcomed. 

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

I know the Bandon area can be a tough place to find full time staff for...but man I feel like there is only so much they can add to the resort before they really have to bump up the amount of available lodging/dining options.

I dont know where that line is when you cross over into the realm of "we have way more golf available than we can reasonably support" - but I feel like we might be on the road to that point.

I love Bandon Dunes. But it seems like they may be reaching the point of overkill. To me, the charm of the place is the wildness and the remoteness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

13 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Well...Pinehurst is at 9 courses + - I spoke to reservations a few weeks ago and the gal told me, as a single, that I should book w/in the next 2-3 weeks to get my dates later in the year.

"if you build it, they will come" - maybe?

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love Bandon Dunes. But it seems like they may be reaching the point of overkill. To me, the charm of the place is the wildness and the remoteness.

Possible...the elements that provide that "charm" differ from person to person. 

• Bandon used to be "passionate golfers" that made the trek - it's something different now; I know groups that couldn't hit the ocean from the ocean that are going
  • Bandon used to have quality food, service, hellos, recognizable faces, acknowledgement of return - now, this can be hit or miss
  • Bandon used to have 'space' btw tee times so you did see many others - now, there are increased POP times and lots of seeing people
  • I remember the days when you got a little token from the starter before you teed off - these days you have to go get your own scorecard and pencil
  • The difficulty of getting reservations - see bullet 1 - have made the "thrill" of planning and such more of a chore

In general, it may be that they did not have a plan for scaling, with part of that plan being the requirement to keep that 'charm' that made it in the first place.

I used to go 2, 3, 4 times a year...now I prioritize my May trip and if it so happens I get out again, great, if not, I find another destination.

So for the "regulars" / "frequenters" we notice the difference and it will impact us.  For the "new" folks experiencing Bandon for the first time they won't know different and they may find their experience perfectly acceptable to great.  

I guess my thought is they will need to eventually come to a crossroads in that scaling....I think.  As I mentioned in a post above, Pinehurst has 9 courses now and all the other activities...and they are going strong.

Love to hear thoughts?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MCIrl said:

Hello, been following this thread recently as i've booked for March/April 2024. Coming from Ireland so i can definitely say that it is easier to get to Ireland than Bandon. More than likely will arrive into San Fran (direct flight from Dublin) and probably drive to Bandon via I5. Won't  get on the road until 5.30pm so any local advice on a stop on way up.  Would like to get a good bit up the road as i'm planning to play in the pm the next day and don't want too much driving that morning.  I potential have a direct PDX option as well but may need to juggle my starting days in Bandon if i went that route via car.  I'm ruling out the North bend transfer option as it's not really working with days and flight times.  Any insights / local knowledge would be welcomed. 

I'd shoot for Medford, Oregon,  It's a haul from SFO, but if you don't want to drive too much on the next day, then it's a good spot.  If driving into Oregon is too taxing, then Yreka, California would work.  

Edited by ws6

11 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Well...Pinehurst is at 9 courses + - I spoke to reservations a few weeks ago and the gal told me, as a single, that I should book w/in the next 2-3 weeks to get my dates later in the year.

Yeah...I dont think (right now) you can even compare the two. The PH resort itself has a half dozen lodging options, there are a bunch of Residence Inn type places along with your usualy rentals/AirBNBs. PH is a place you can do a "resort trip" and play all the resort courses or a non-resort trip and not miss a beat.

No one is ever going to fly all the way to Bandon and play a half dozen non-resort courses and go home 🙂

Edited by dcmidnight

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

6 hours ago, hello18 said:

Does Bandon do wait list or to you have to watch the availability and get lucky? 

has anyone had luck this way?

They do have waitlist options. We were on the waitlist for two nights in advance of the Solstice and got in a few weeks ago.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

12 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

You can't compare the two. Pinehurst is just over an hour from Raleigh which has a population of over 2 million. Its a lot easier to find people to live/work a hour from a major metro area compared to the 4 hours from Portland.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eboettne said:

Ugh... Think I'll be golfing by Saturday? If I wanted a blizzard I could stay home

image.png.d54a9660ae712a13ff11649b6cee67aa.png

Eek!

3 hours ago, TreeHugger73 said:

You can't compare the two. Pinehurst is just over an hour from Raleigh which has a population of over 2 million. Its a lot easier to find people to live/work a hour from a major metro area compared to the 4 hours from Portland.

@dcmidnight @TreeHugger73  I wasn't try to make a direct comparison of employment or the location; but rather speak the building out of a resort in general.  I fully understand the location and the difficulty of having employees - been going for almost 20 years now and have seen this first hand.  But as an off the wall thought, for those that have been on a cruise - they have a model of employing people from around the world - Bandon could scale using a similar model. Also, the area/s within reasonable distance have all seen population growth. 

My point was that the business being done currently suggest that they can continue to grow; but they will have to address all those challenges.

I am on my last rodeo at my current career - I may be heading there 🙂; I am more likely to end up a Cabot St Lucia - but I'm saying there's a chance!!

Job Posting for Sommelier at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is searching for a Sommelier who will ensure that all wine service employees receive proper training and supervision. The ideal candidate will provide courteous and prompt service in compliance with the resort's food and beverage service, operating standards, and company policies and procedures. The Sommelier will also help train food and beverage staff, respond to guest needs, coordinate with the Outlet Manager, and provide administrative support to the outlet management team. Additionally, they will perform various duties such as staff training, electronic wine list maintenance, restocking, attending wine tastings, ensuring beverage control, providing administrative support, and adhering to OSHA, MSDS state, and local health and liquor laws/regulations.

Qualifications for the position include Food Handler's and Oregon Liquor Commission certifications, two years of relevant functional, supervisory, and/or management experience, solid beverage knowledge, and effective team-building, communication, and organizational skills. In addition, the successful candidate must handle multiple duties efficiently under pressure, work flexible hours as required, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and display a positive attitude, professional manner, and appearance in all situations.

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is widely recognized as one of the best golf resorts in the United States and the world. It is located in the charming community of Bandon on the beautiful southern Oregon coast. The resort is dedicated to providing a first-class golf experience and friendly service to its guests while also working to preserve the natural resources of the region through the Wild Rivers Coast Alliance, a foundation that promotes community collaboration and economic growth. To learn more about the resort and its commitment to the area, please visit the official website at https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/.

Benefits:

• Restaurant Discounts, 25%
  • Retail discount, 50%
  • Staff Lunch-free
  • Free Golf
  • Complimentary Uniform Gear
  • Comprehensive Benefits Package after 30 days

The snow is still coming down, rapidly too.  This doesn't look like a quick melt.  Courses may be out of commission for a couple days.  

Feel terrible for anyone there right now, especially those who planned their trips years in advance or are there for the first time.  Really bad break.  

• Sad 3

49 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Job Posting for Sommelier at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is searching for a Sommelier who will ensure that all wine service employees receive proper training and supervision. The ideal candidate will provide courteous and prompt service in compliance with the resort's food and beverage service, operating standards, and company policies and procedures. The Sommelier will also help train food and beverage staff, respond to guest needs, coordinate with the Outlet Manager, and provide administrative support to the outlet management team. Additionally, they will perform various duties such as staff training, electronic wine list maintenance, restocking, attending wine tastings, ensuring beverage control, providing administrative support, and adhering to OSHA, MSDS state, and local health and liquor laws/regulations.

Qualifications for the position include Food Handler's and Oregon Liquor Commission certifications, two years of relevant functional, supervisory, and/or management experience, solid beverage knowledge, and effective team-building, communication, and organizational skills. In addition, the successful candidate must handle multiple duties efficiently under pressure, work flexible hours as required, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and display a positive attitude, professional manner, and appearance in all situations.

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is widely recognized as one of the best golf resorts in the United States and the world. It is located in the charming community of Bandon on the beautiful southern Oregon coast. The resort is dedicated to providing a first-class golf experience and friendly service to its guests while also working to preserve the natural resources of the region through the Wild Rivers Coast Alliance, a foundation that promotes community collaboration and economic growth.

I had a glass of wine once.  I could do that.

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

21 minutes ago, graveydellic said:

The snow is still coming down, rapidly too.  This doesn't look like a quick melt.  Courses may be out of commission for a couple days.  

Feel terrible for anyone there right now, especially those who planned their trips years in advance or are there for the first time.  Really bad break.  

Any guesses if things will melt by Tuesday? Wondering if I should make backup plans and just head to Monterey peninsula instead...

Now seems like a good time to post (or repost) a link to this video.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

Based on the forecast Saturday looks iffy, but I’d bet by Tuesday it’s all melted. Still gonna be chilly though.

I trust your opinion and we are supposed to fly out early tomorrow golf Saturday-Tuesday. Fly back Wednesday. Should I pull the plug? Keep in mind it takes 3 flights and 5hrs round trip driving for me to get there. This is the worst… booked this trip November 2021 as I’m sure everyone else did too.

• Sad 4