Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

1 hour ago, eboettne said:

I trust your opinion and we are supposed to fly out early tomorrow golf Saturday-Tuesday. Fly back Wednesday. Should I pull the plug? Keep in mind it takes 3 flights and 5hrs round trip driving for me to get there. This is the worst… booked this trip November 2021 as I’m sure everyone else did too.

Are you going to be eating the cost of the trip if you cancel? 

Forecast for the next couple of days looks like it should melt the snow but it's not very friendly Sun-Tue. If you can cancel and get the cash back I'd be tempted to pull the plug.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

2 hours ago, banister said:

Any guesses if things will melt by Tuesday? Wondering if I should make backup plans and just head to Monterey peninsula instead...

This snow will definitely melt by Tuesday.  Keep an eye on the forecast though, as they're talking about another potential round of snow for Western Oregon next week (though it's rare to get snow on the ground at the coast).  Bigger issues may be getting across the coast range from I-5.  I'm heading to Bandon next Wednesday for 7 days of golf, so I'm watching the forecast closely myself!

Edited by Seamus_MacDuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eboettne said:

I trust your opinion and we are supposed to fly out early tomorrow golf Saturday-Tuesday. Fly back Wednesday. Should I pull the plug? Keep in mind it takes 3 flights and 5hrs round trip driving for me to get there. This is the worst… booked this trip November 2021 as I’m sure everyone else did too.

I wouldn't cancel.  Looking at the Bandon Dunes camera, it's already melting off the paths and doesn't look all that deep.  Supposed to be 46 degrees and sunny on both Friday and Saturday, so you should be good.  I'd just make sure to get a 4WD rental car in case you have issues on the roads back from the coast to I-5.  

21 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Are you going to be eating the cost of the trip if you cancel? 

Forecast for the next couple of days looks like it should melt the snow but it's not very friendly Sun-Tue. If you can cancel and get the cash back I'd be tempted to pull the plug.

I have to work with the resort on that.  Worst case is we'd be out our deposit of $250/person unless Bandon was willing to give us a credit on a future visit.  The real kicker is our golf clubs are in Bandon(what we get for being proactive I guess) so would have to eat the cost of shipping those back and hope the resort would help put the shipping label on them(from experience I'd guess they would).  Also means we can't quickly pivot and go somewhere like Phoenix this weekend to get our golf fix in. 

My biggest fear is flying out there and sitting in a hotel room not able to golf after all the travel.  My 2nd biggest fear is cancelling it and it getting super nice tomorrow and all the snow melting and guys golfing just fine on Saturday morning while I watch on the web cam.   

Edited by eboettne

Likely you'll be fine (though still chilly) at Bandon; it's driving through PDX and crossing over the Coast Range that may be the real challenge (not to mention the possibility of a flight into PDX being cancelled).

Here's a link to the ODOT road cam site, where you can get up to the minute road conditions for the whole state:

https://tripcheck.com/

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

41 minutes ago, eboettne said:

I have to work with the resort on that.  Worst case is we'd be out our deposit of $250/person unless Bandon was willing to give us a credit on a future visit.  The real kicker is our golf clubs are in Bandon(what we get for being proactive I guess) so would have to eat the cost of shipping those back and hope the resort would help put the shipping label on them(from experience I'd guess they would).  Also means we can't quickly pivot and go somewhere like Phoenix this weekend to get our golf fix in. 

My biggest fear is flying out there and sitting in a hotel room not able to golf after all the travel.  My 2nd biggest fear is cancelling it and it getting super nice tomorrow and all the snow melting and guys golfing just fine on Saturday morning while I watch on the web cam.   

Tough call. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spud3 said:

Likely you'll be fine (though still chilly) at Bandon; it's driving through PDX and crossing over the Coast Range that may be the real challenge (not to mention the possibility of a flight into PDX being cancelled).

Here's a link to the ODOT road cam site, where you can get up to the minute road conditions for the whole state:

https://tripcheck.com/

We're flying into Eugene if that helps?

7 minutes ago, eboettne said:

We're flying into Eugene if that helps?

No snow on the ground in Eugene.  Looking at the road cameras, I'd suggest driving down I-5 a bit and then take Hwy 38 over to Reedsport.  Looks like that pass has no snow at all and the roads are bare pavement.  It's only 10 minutes longer than the more direct route from Eugene over Hwy 126.

• Like 1

You'll be fine flying into Eugene (as long as you're not connecting through PDX)

+1 on Seamus' rec to go over on Hwy 38 vs 126, at least as of this moment.  Check the road cams in the link I posted above when you get into Eugene and choose accordingly.

Don't forget you have the massive Fiddler's Green Golf Shop about 2 miles from the Eugene airport if you need any golf supplies.

• Like 2

The TripChek site will also show you if there are road blockages due to downed trees, which is a possibility with the storm we're currently watching move slowly south.  Anyone driving to Bandon during the winter should have that site saved in their bookmarks.

Also, might want to see if the rental car/van includes some tire chains, just in case.

The good news is that this will all likely be completely gone by the time you head home.

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

I went one year solo and was faced with a Toyota Dealer convention of over 100 people, and it was impossible to get a table or a morning tee time without having to deal with hordes of idiots who were acting like it was Spring Break in Ft Lauderdale.

Great descriptor!

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

9 hours ago, eboettne said:

I'd still go.  Might not be ideal weather, but I think you'll still be golfing.

We ultimately pulled the plug on the trip.

We were able to get a full refund for everything. Bandon reservation was incredible. Able to get all my delta miles back as well. And our first night hotel Windermere on the beach didn’t charge me a fee because of the storm so give them some business next time you have a chance.

In the end I went with my gut and between our 4th getting injured a week before the trip, storms wreaking havoc on travel in the Midwest, and Bandon having the less than ideal weather(looking at frost delays the whole trip) it felt like it wasn’t meant to be. Oddly had a bit of premonition about this trip going awry about a month ago and boy did it ever. 

Super bummed out as we poured hours of planning into this but basically have a free pass from the wife to go whenever we can make it work again because she knows I’ve been looking forward to it.

So poured myself a whiskey last night to have a pity party and got a text on my phone that my first of 3 flights got delayed 6 hours… feels like the universe telling me it wasn’t meant to be.

• Sad 4

@eboettne tough break, but probably the right call.

Since you've got a free pass don't overlook booking a last minute trip and staying off-property. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, eboettne said:

We were able to get a full refund for everything. Bandon reservation was incredible. Able to get all my delta miles back as well. And our first night hotel Windermere on the beach didn’t charge me a fee because of the storm so give them some business next time you have a chance.

In the end I went with my gut and between our 4th getting injured a week before the trip, storms wreaking havoc on travel in the Midwest, and Bandon having the less than ideal weather(looking at frost delays the whole trip) it felt like it wasn’t meant to be. Oddly had a bit of premonition about this trip going awry about a month ago and boy did it ever. 

Super bummed out as we poured hours of planning into this but basically have a free pass from the wife to go whenever we can make it work again because she knows I’ve been looking forward to it.

So poured myself a whiskey last night to have a pity party and got a text on my phone that my first of 3 flights got delayed 6 hours… feels like the universe telling me it wasn’t meant to be.

dang I feel terrible for you and your group !! but with all you described it probably was best. Just too many things happened. Now mope around the house for a month and when you re-schedule spend more money and go in the summer to better your chances next time. The wife will go for it to not have you mope or stress as much next time on the weather. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eboettne said:

Sorry to hear. I think we're all prepared to go and play in whatever weather gets thrown our way, but it looks like this is one of those rare times you couldn't even try. Hope you find an opening sooner rather than later.

[sign here]

Tough call but sounds like the right one.  We are in similar boat having booked 20 months ago but don't leave for 4 weeks.   At least they have the flagsticks out 🙂

image.png

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

G425 5Aldila Rogue White 

716 AP2 KBS Tour 

JAWS RAW Modus/DG TI

Mizuno M Craft VI

33 minutes ago, JLo_73 said:

Tough call but sounds like the right one.  We are in similar boat having booked 20 months ago but don't leave for 4 weeks.   At least they have the flagsticks out 🙂

image.png

But that putt will be running at 2 on the stimpmeter.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 hours ago, banister said:

Saw on Twitter that there's no golf again today. Here's to hoping the weekend will melt all the snow away!

Its tough, the ground always stays so much colder than the roads/cart paths, that looks like at least a few more days of melt.

Serious question though, why is SR not open and selling cocktails around the fire pit? That was such a great post round spot, think it would be a pretty cool hang spot if you cant be out playing. Sell some smore packs and irish coffees?

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 4.49.35 PM.jpg

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

10 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Its tough, the ground always stays so much colder than the roads/cart paths, that looks like at least a few more days of melt.

Serious question though, why is SR not open and selling cocktails around the fire pit? That was such a great post round spot, think it would be a pretty cool hang spot if you cant be out playing. Sell some smore packs and irish coffees?

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 4.49.35 PM.jpg

yes I sure hope the resort is doing something for all the guys there the last two days. I’m sure they are selling a ton of booze but hopefully they got the word out on some fun stuff. 

Appears that the snow has completed melted off Bandon and Pacific and lots of people on the Punchbowl green, though looks like it's taking a little longer at Sheep Ranch and Old Macdonald.  Wonder if that's because they're more exposed to the cold wind, or the soils there don't hold heat as well.  I've gotta guess Bandon Trails is taking longer too due to the shade.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 3.59.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 3.58.59 PM.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, banister said:

Where do you guys store extra things in between rounds? I'm going to bring an extra set of shoes/socks/clothes and definitely don't want to put them in the bag.

I had a rental car so I used the trunk like a mobile locker and kept balls, towels, shoes, socks, and rain gear in there. I drove to each course and liked having a car to get around but it was just me so for a group that might not work. 

6 minutes ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

I had a rental car so I used the trunk like a mobile locker and kept balls, towels, shoes, socks, and rain gear in there. I drove to each course and liked having a car to get around but it was just me so for a group that might not work. 

Oh sweet, I will be solo too. Sounds like having the rental car is easier than taking the shuttle. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, banister said:

Oh sweet, I will be solo too. Sounds like having the rental car is easier than taking the shuttle. Thanks!

If for whatever reason you don't grab the rental car, bring a small duffle/gym bag.  The lodge has a locker room in the basement, check out a key at the main desk.  Every other pro shop, just ask if you can leave a bag there, most have a spot to leave things, as long as it's small.  But the car is easier.

• Like 1