Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

1 minute ago, jpdx said:

Opened in 2020 i believe.

Im going to pronghorn next weekend. Ive played the nicklaus and fazio courses a number of times. I think less there than SR. Esp the nicklaus course. He wants you to hit to certain spots. Thats it.

I thought less at gamble sands than SR. I think a lot at tetherow. I think less at my local muni than SR.

Do you have to think as much at SR compared to the other bandon courses? No. But doesnt mean you dont have to still hit certain shots. Dont know if youve ever played SR on a mildly windy day or gusty day, but the exposure on the course certainly has caused me to think quite a bit. And to me, thats part of the beauty of the design and strategy. Sure, on a bluebird day, it might be the easiest on the resort, but that means nothing when youve got 20+ mph gusts. And to me thats a big part of it - its so open and you get to choose how to hit it and what shot to hit. 

consider yourself blessed that you dont have to think and are bored with it. And that you go go visit any typical seaside links course. Not everyone is as blessed as you and there are many that would be glad to take your tee time. ✌️

our caddie told us our day was a 5/6 with wind gust of 20-22mph. It’s always a blessing to play golf none less at bandon. That’s not the point of my rant. I just didnt see the big deal of SR and the hype surrounding it. My buddy shot a 68 at bandon dunes and a 72 at SR. Both from tips. Even with the higher score at SR he told me SR didn’t require much work. And I completely agree with him. Because all the other course at bandon have been so good, I expected a lot more from SR. Next time I’m back SR is a skip for us. Rather play bandon dunes or pac dunes 2x over. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

When Tom Doak designed the original Sheep Ranch, he said of it, forget about the scorecard and go out and have fun with your friends.  I think the Coore/Crenshaw Sheep Ranch is superior to the original and I think they managed to maintain the same ethos.  

With that said, when I split up our group for our replay round, I made sure to stick myself in the Trails group!

Edited by ThermalDan

2 minutes ago, ThermalDan said:

When Tom Doak designed the original Sheep Ranch, he said of it, forget about the scorecard and go out and have fun with your friends.  I think the Coore/Crenshaw Sheep Ranch is superior to the original and I think they managed to maintain the same ethos.  

the forward tee box on 17 used to be a tee shot for a par 3 back to the current 16th green. I believe the previous tee shot is much tougher than any of the par 3 that is currently at SR. I think of mammoth dunes as a super easy course. But it also require some golf abilities and some thinking. So I don’t agree you can make it so easy and not have any strategy. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

On 5/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, jerebear21 said:

our caddie told us our day was a 5/6 with wind gust of 20-22mph. It’s always a blessing to play golf none less at bandon. That’s not the point of my rant. I just didnt see the big deal of SR and the hype surrounding it. My buddy shot a 68 at bandon dunes and a 72 at SR. Both from tips. Even with the higher score at SR he told me SR didn’t require much work. And I completely agree with him. Because all the other course at bandon have been so good, I expected a lot more from SR. Next time I’m back SR is a skip for us. Rather play bandon dunes or pac dunes 2x over. 

I would agree SR is extremely overrated and basically a skip or play once per trip, especially for good players given the current condition of the greens. 

But to say SR is essentially skill-less to play is pretty crazy. It is essentially benign with no wind, but I can't think of a single time I've played there (on the original doak course, or the current iteration) that hasn't had at least a 10mph wind. 

I think it is very fair to expect more from SR given the stature of the resort as a whole, but I have been saying for several years that the resort itself is slipping a bit. They're charging more and providing less than they did even 3-4 years ago.

Edited by oregongolf
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, oregongolf said:

but I have been saying for several years that the resort itself is slipping a bit. They're charging more and providing less than they did even 3-4 years ago.

I never really have any complaints when I am at the resort, but I don't disagree with your statement.  Is it becoming too much of a good thing?  i.e. at what point will the development stop and the resort "peak"?  With yet another full length course being built, as well the additional short course, that theoretically frees up space on other courses, especially considering they seem to have a lodging shortage.  It almost seems a bit greedy to me to keep building golf courses when there is a finite employee base that is already shown signs of being stretched thin.  Just because they can build more doesn't mean they should.  

I'd like to see the resort in a steady state for a few years...no construction, no new golf, all restaurants open, fully staffed, etc.  Seems that's probably a pipe dream.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, graveydellic said:

I never really have any complaints when I am at the resort, but I don't disagree with your statement.  Is it becoming too much of a good thing?  i.e. at what point will the development stop and the resort "peak"?  With yet another full length course being built, as well the additional short course, that theoretically frees up space on other courses, especially considering they seem to have a lodging shortage.  It almost seems a bit greedy to me to keep building golf courses when there is a finite employee base that is already shown signs of being stretched thin.  Just because they can build more doesn't mean they should.  

I'd like to see the resort in a steady state for a few years...no construction, no new golf, all restaurants open, fully staffed, etc.  Seems that's probably a pipe dream.  

Seems like every popular destination eventually reaches a fork in the road that requires choosing between maintaining a standard of quality and trying to meet increased demand. These days the second path is most common.

With Bandon's current level of demand they could probably sell every available tee time thrice over so there isn't much incentive to adjust. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Had zero issue with service couple weeks ago. Shortage of lodging doesn’t mean bad service. In fact everything was top notch. Food still bad but service is always great. 

SR doesn’t penalize you for hitting thru the fairway. Wind only means picking more or less club. Greens are so big you’re not going to get penalized. It’s mindless. I stand by it. Hole 14 is the best hole on the course and reminds me of Erin Hills(which is a much superior course compared to anything at bandon). 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

8 hours ago, thechief16 said:

I am a huge EH stan, but that's a take......

not really. If you break it down bandon, pacific, and trails par 5 isnt too good can’t compare to Erin hills. More shot values at EH. More strategy. And topography is much more wilder.  Par 3 is better at bandon and pacific. Par 4 can be a push. Certain holes that are good on both sides. Just think it’s a tougher test at Erin hills. We can agree to disagree. Bandon as a whole is obviously the best resort. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Two weeks out from our trip to Bandon.  Experiencing FOMO already as I'll only get to play Trails 2x, the rest just once.  My body just can't handle more than 36 a day, and certainly not 36 every day, anymore, but I might just have to sneak in 7 extra holes on Pacific one evening.  And 9 on Bandon.  Maybe 11 holes on Sheep.  So easy to turn it into a marathon every day!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThermalDan said:

Two weeks out from our trip to Bandon.  Experiencing FOMO already as I'll only get to play Trails 2x, the rest just once.  My body just can't handle more than 36 a day, and certainly not 36 every day, anymore, but I might just have to sneak in 7 extra holes on Pacific one evening.  And 9 on Bandon.  Maybe 11 holes on Sheep.  So easy to turn it into a marathon every day!

You will be there for some of the longest days of the year. There is pretty much no tee time that you could have for 18 where you could not get for 18 before or after it. A single you be able to grab those times without much fuss. 

On 5/11/2023 at 7:23 PM, jerebear21 said:

sure but SR isn’t only minimalistic. It requires minimum thinking. Minimum shot shaping. Minimum strategy. 

I would venture to say that 85% of the golfers don’t have the desire and ability to marry shots and strategy. Their enjoyment of a round of golf, even at Bandon, probably focuses more on playability and views/feels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ALo314 said:

I would venture to say that 85% of the golfers don’t have the desire and ability to marry shots and strategy. Their enjoyment of a round of golf, even at Bandon, probably focuses more on playability and views/feels. 

Which is ok. Our clubs are players club so smacking it around even with an ocean view does get kind of boring. Just an analysis of what we think of SR. Didn’t mean to supercharge the emotions of bandon lovers. All is good. 

but I will add. The other 4 courses at bandon requires a lot of thinking. So kind of weird to say 85% enjoy mindless hitting when 4 of 5 main courses of bandon requires thinking. 

Edited by jerebear21

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

We decided to go down a day early next week.  Deciding between:

Bar Run

Bandon Crossing

Sunset Bay

Shorty’s/range

Old Mac

Pros and cons to any decision.  OM is my favorite course at the resort.  But haven’t played the others on this list. Balancing the $$/FOMO/overdoing it, is individual to everyone.  

Edited by ThermalDan

2 hours ago, ThermalDan said:

We decided to go down a day early next week.  Deciding between:

Bar Run

Bandon Crossing

Sunset Bay

Shorty’s/range

Old Mac

Pros and cons to any decision.  OM is my favorite course at the resort.  But haven’t played the others on this list. Balancing the $$/FOMO/overdoing it, is individual to everyone.  

Would do Crossing so that you can ride in a cart for one round...full, good course that is about fun.  Best of all variables imo.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, jerebear21 said:

but I will add. The other 4 courses at bandon requires a lot of thinking. So kind of weird to say 85% enjoy mindless hitting when 4 of 5 main courses of bandon requires thinking. 

They don't "require" a lot of thinking. 

If you have the skillset to apply strategy/thinking to your game, you will certainly benefit from it. 

But you can also whack a ball around and look at the ocean. Which again, is what the overwhelming majority do. 

29 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

They don't "require" a lot of thinking. 

If you have the skillset to apply strategy/thinking to your game, you will certainly benefit from it. 

But you can also whack a ball around and look at the ocean. Which again, is what the overwhelming majority do. 

agree to disagree.  Strategy apply and making decisions off the tee is required thinking for us. You’re not going to score well on the other 4 courses if you don’t make good decisions off the tee. The stretch of bandon from 1-17 is as good as it gets especially with the bunker moving more right on no. 9 now. And I doubt numbers are 85%. In my group, 9/10 prefer strategy and shot making. 

in fact majority of golfers I’ve met at bandon are single digit players. Bandon is for hardcore golf nerds or used to be. Perhaps you’re referring to the new type of golfers that are trending now, music drinking and shouldn’t be playing blades, are only there for the views, the list goes on and on. 

Edited by jerebear21

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

4 hours ago, jerebear21 said:

agree to disagree.  Strategy apply and making decisions off the tee is required thinking for us. You’re not going to score well on the other 4 courses if you don’t make good decisions off the tee. The stretch of bandon from 1-17 is as good as it gets especially with the bunker moving more right on no. 9 now. And I doubt numbers are 85%. In my group, 9/10 prefer strategy and shot making. 

in fact majority of golfers I’ve met at bandon are single digit players. Bandon is for hardcore golf nerds or used to be. Perhaps you’re referring to the new type of golfers that are trending now, music drinking and shouldn’t be playing blades, are only there for the views, the list goes on and on. 

I'm a single digit and I go to Bandon Dunes for the ocean views. And the ambiance and the charms of everything that goes on there outside of playing golf. Score is important but not of prime concern. Although the gin and tonic after the round tastes a little better coming off of a 75.

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

34 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm a single digit and I go to Bandon Dunes for the ocean views. And the ambiance and the charms of everything that goes on there outside of playing golf. Score is important but not of prime concern. Although the gin and tonic after the round tastes a little better coming off of a 75.

Is there really anything out there besides golf? Always down for a good view but having 5-6 courses in one spot is the main factor. 

this was a 68 while drinking a bottle of eagle rare. bandon is always a good time. And it’s ok to be critical of it. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

25 minutes ago, jerebear21 said:

Is there really anything out there besides golf? Always down for a good view but having 5-6 courses in one spot is the main factor. 

this was a 68 while drinking a bottle of eagle rare. bandon is always a good time. And it’s ok to be critical of it. 

IMG_4942.mov 10.55 MB · 0 downloads  

It is okay to be critical of any course, but don't diminish the experience of those who go for the camaraderie and ocean views.  And gin & tonics, of course.  Everyone to their own.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It is okay to be critical of any course, but don't diminish the experience of those who go for the camaraderie and ocean views.  And gin & tonics, of course.  Everyone to their own.

I’m responding to the hype that’s sheep ranch. There are better views in the United States at a way cheaper rate. Bandon from experience has always been for hard core golfers and shot makers.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Just listened to The Fried Egg podcast with their Dream 18 from Bandon Resort.  I came up with mine, except I “had” to have four par 4s, and four par 5s.  I put OM 8 in as one of my favorites.

Then I did a Worst 18…..and picked OM as the worst 8th hole on property.

opinions change every time you visit the resort, and in my case, sometimes half hour later🤣

On 5/22/2023 at 11:18 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

One of the aspects I appreciate about Bandon is its location and the exclusive walking-only rules that used to attract primarily just dedicated golfers. Since I typically play there between September and April, my experience has been even more rewarding as I've encountered only true hard-core golf enthusiasts.

Having played at a number of 'bucket list' courses in the US, I've often found myself surrounded by individuals with financial means but little genuine interest in golf. They were merely there to boast about having played at those courses and enjoyed the scenic views. For instance, during my round at Pebble Beach, the twosome that joined us skipped holes throughout the game because they didn't want to exert themselves (as they comfortably rode in their golf cart). I've had similar encounters at other venues, but never at Bandon.'

Unfortunately, I believe Bandon has become a victim of its own success, attracting people who are more interested in the picturesque setting than the game of golf itself, and that aspect is disappointing to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

For instance, during my round at Pebble Beach, the twosome that joined us skipped holes throughout the game because they didn't want to exert themselves (as they comfortably rode in their golf cart).

That's funny! Their CPH was probably through the sky.  Cost Per Hole.