Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

So I just joined this site because of this thread.  

I'll apologize in advance for thread length, but after reading through 61 pages I want to lay it all out and be part of the thread!

I'm making second trip to Bandon next week.  Last went in 2015 w a 4 some and will return w 3 of the same and one newbie.  Honestly, at this point I'm just hoping to not get sick, injured, or have anything weird happen to anyone I love.  One of our group thought he broke his heel bone last week jumping in his pool, but its just a bone bruise.  Still, he's been in a boot and resting it.  He is planning on coming.  Bandon won't give him a cart.  

Booked it last July and have totally geeked out over this trip.

Checklist

Read Dream Golf-done

Order and flip through all course guidebooks to remember holes and anticipate playing again-done

Dinner Reservations-done

Planned out betting games for our tourney-done

Ship sticks?-not done, but leaning that way given 40 min layover at SFO to Coos Bay

Rain Gear-done

New Clothes to look baller-done (shoes broken in, don't worry)

Caddy requests-done. (I asked for John the Baptist and Squid). I have no idea if they honor requests.  Wanted different caddies from last trip

Cigars-done

Book Massage-done

This will be the question part of the post, I appreciate inputs.

Now...I am hoping the restaurants are open with all the Covid precaution ramp up.  Are they serving in house or is it back to take out?  I actually confirmed they are still seating in restaurants.

What's been people's experience with getting particular caddy requests filled?  I requested caddies back when I made reservations last year so hoping that helps.

Does the resort sell lighters for cigars?  I can't bring my torch.  Can you pack cigarette lighters on planes?

Anyone know if massage service is curtailed?  I haven't called them yet.

It seems like I remember the pro shops having way more selection on clothing and hats etc than the online store.  Is that still the case?  It will be hard to reign in my spending.

Has anyone used the laundry service there?  How does that work and what's the charge?  Still open w Covid precautions?

Moving on the itinerary:

Here's the caveat: none of us are able to walk when we golf.  3 of us from AZ and walking in summer is just about a non-starter even if we find a couple courses it's possible.  Plus the fact my buddy has a bruised heel bone means we are likely not playing 36 except for one day.  I do remember those second rounds in the wind being tough and my feet throbbing after day one.  That said, I would personally like to grind but not sure the others will hence the setup...

Presuming no flight issues (luckily we are at least all on the same flight into Coos Bay) we land at 3pm or so on next Monday the 30th.  Here's the caveat

M-Preserve at 4:15; possibly punchbowl; dinner at 8:30 at Gallery (I guess that's the Forge now?)

T-Trails at 9am; then possibly another round vs go into Bandon for lunch, hang at resort and chill/walk trails, punchbowl, possibly play another round.

W-Bandon 8:40; OM 2:30; dinner at Trails end at 8:30

Th-SR 8:50; dinner 5pm at Pacific Grill.  Punchbowl

F-Pac 7:30; one of the guys flies out at 3pm; I also have a 12:30 time for BD and will see how we feel.  Dinner at Gallery/Forge at 5:30pm

S-SR 8:00 our flights leave out of Coos at 3pm.

So... do you think it will be too tight to get back to main resort and shower and complete checkout from resort etc?  We do have a rental car bc one guy leaving out of Eugene.

I know there's not much to do there and I may try to add in another round in afternoon (I just added BD round last night) even if just a single w/o caddy.  Lady on phone told me it's pretty easy for a single to get out on a replay should I want more.  

Finally, personal rankings:

Bandon

Pac/Trails tie

OM

preserve only because not 18 holes (but I LOVE this track)

OM debate-I think I'll appreciate it more after reading Dream Golf.  I also think there's some truly special/unique holes there.  Not to mention all first timers have to see the ghost tree at least once.

I'm looking forward to SR.  Last time we played Pac twice and trails we played as second round of our only 36 hole day.  I just remember being really tired and the wind was tough even back there.  That said, there were just so many great holes there.  Pac is tough but so awesome.  To be perfectly honest, I think BD,PD, BT are almost equal in quality and each has their argument for being the best.  As of my last trip though, I just think Bandon Dunes gets a slight nod just for the fact that it HAD to be excellent in order to make the entire dream of Bandon golf possible.  The pressure on DMK to make it great, but also to not budge on his vision and pull it off is just that extra nudge into the top spot.

At least for now....lol

Cheers all

• Like 2

Arriving: Going through OTH = Use Shipsticks

Gear: Yes way more selection amongst the various proshops than online

Departing: Personally as long as I could get out of the resort by 13:15 for a 15:00 flight, if I can fit a shower in great, if not oh well.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yes, lots of gear at the proshops.  Good luck!  I'm almost positive they sell cigars.  As good as their matches are, knowing how windy it gets, I can't imagine they wouldn't have lighters.  Torch lighters though, not sure.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

There's a case with cigars (and I think lighters) by the little snack shack in the main lodge.  If not there, the Bunker Bar would likely sell lighters.

Definitely ShipSticks if you're flying into OTH.

The main pro shop has a dizzying array of gear, plus each course pro shop has course-specific gear that isn't in the main shop.

I think you'll be fine for the amount of walking, and it's a good plan to leave the afternoons open for more, if you feel like it.  Keep in mind there's lots of short loops on each course, so you could even go back and take a power nap after lunch then get out for 8-10 holes, as long as you're not too hung up on always playing the full 18.  There's a whole thread about short loops somewhere in the NW forum.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Yeah, I've had good luck before by making sure my torch is empty and taping it to an iron face in checked baggage.  The issue is that there would need to be a shop to get butane and I doubt it's worth the hassle into Bandon.  If I was in Eugene it would be easier to grab on the way down.  

The most annoying thing about ship sticks is that I have to pay for 2 day shipping and I have to drop them off on Wednesday to make sure I have them for Monday.  This means I can't practice or play at all for 5 days which stinks.  Oh well, I'll just work out and stretch.  rest body for the upcoming pain!  LOL

You guys ever work deals w caddies about $5-10 for every birdie you make?  Anyone know about luck getting the caddy you request?

Used Shipsticks for Bandon but I've carried my torch, with butane, in a DOT approved case with no issues. In fact, I asked the first time and they said thats the only way you can transport it with fuel. 

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

40 minutes ago, mci711 said:

"Book massage" 

Did I miss something new at Bandon? I assume this is off the property?

It's the last building the other side of McKees.

Some may be more familiar with it, as the building folks occasionally bang their teeball into on #1 when there's a cross wind.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

5 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Used Shipsticks for Bandon but I've carried my torch, with butane, in a DOT approved case with no issues. In fact, I asked the first time and they said thats the only way you can transport it with fuel. 

Wow!  I never even knew this was an option.  Do you know if they will also allow a butane container inside that case as well?  Do you have to check it or carry on?  Thanks for this.

15 minutes ago, BeefWellington said:

Yeah, I've had good luck before by making sure my torch is empty and taping it to an iron face in checked baggage.  The issue is that there would need to be a shop to get butane and I doubt it's worth the hassle into Bandon.  If I was in Eugene it would be easier to grab on the way down.  

The most annoying thing about ship sticks is that I have to pay for 2 day shipping and I have to drop them off on Wednesday to make sure I have them for Monday.  This means I can't practice or play at all for 5 days which stinks.  Oh well, I'll just work out and stretch.  rest body for the upcoming pain!  LOL

You guys ever work deals w caddies about $5-10 for every birdie you make?  Anyone know about luck getting the caddy you request?

That's the price you pay - literally - for flying via OTH. It can be a dicey connection at the best of times and if they need to get your clubs off and move them from one side of the domestic terminal to the other and miss it, you could be without for a 1.5 days.

F.T.

33 minutes ago, bradleyguye said:

They have offered massages for quite some time. Simply call and you can book. It’s on site. 

4 minutes ago, duffer987 said:

It's the last building the other side of McKees.

Some may be more familiar with it, as the building folks occasionally bang their teeball into on #1 when there's a cross wind.

Been to Bandon a couple of times and legit just found this out today. Thanks! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BeefWellington said:

Wow!  I never even knew this was an option.  Do you know if they will also allow a butane container inside that case as well?  Do you have to check it or carry on?  Thanks for this.

Its checked bag only/lighter only - the case only fits a lighter. I'd have to go back and remember the brand of the case, its a thick yellow plastic case lined in foam, lighter shoves inside, thing screws together - very sturdy.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Yeah I just did some reading and you can bring a lighter, but no torches are allowed.  Apparently, even in a designated case.  I guess we will just need to get regular lighters.  Maybe one of the long style lighters they sell in the grocery stores etc is best bet? Seems like even cigarette lighters are hard to keep aflame enough to light cigars.

This is the one I bought if you're interested, like I said, its thick as heck and very sturdy, looks like they've been discontinued and/or are not in stock:

Amazon.com: Colibri Tranzpack TSA and DOT Approved Airline Lighter Case : Health & Household

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I have some dumb questions. I will be playing one round, golf only (not staying at the resort). Do I drive my car first to the practice center and then drive to the course? or do i take some sort of shuttle?

Whatever you prefer. There's a parking lot at the practice center as well as the course and shuttles running between.

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, that helps. I was looking at their website and most of the logistics information seems to be geared to resort guests. 

The shuttles don't care if you're staying there or not, they're meant for transportation between all the courses as the first tees for each are separated by pretty big distances. 

@BeefWellington

To echo what others have said, I highly recommend Ship Sticks. Yeah it sucks to give up the clubs for a few days, but that's the rub. That's a really tight connection you've got and if your flight is delayed at all (because it's never foggy in San Fran), your luggage is going to have a tough time getting on the flight. Heck the first time I came back from Bandon my luggage didn't make it during the 2 hour layover I had. Additionally, if that plane cargo is already pretty full (plane is super tiny) and your clubs are last in you stand an even greater risk of your clubs not making that flight, and there's no followup flight coming later that day, it waits until tomorrow. For such an epic trip that's not something I personally would gamble on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I have some dumb questions. I will be playing one round, golf only (not staying at the resort). Do I drive my car first to the practice center and then drive to the course? or do i take some sort of shuttle?

Drive your car to the Practice Center, then drive to the course you are playing.  Plenty of parking at all the courses.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

@VNutz

Yeah, that is kind of my take as well.  Last time we flew into Bandon we went through Coos and we didn't really know about the issues.  We all had our clubs make it and didn't realize we may have been lucky.  I mean between paying $30 for a checked bag and then potentially $60 for rentals that basically is the cost of shipping the sticks one way.

Plus, I'm one of those types that would get mental not having my clubs and blame my poor play on it.  Just being honest! haha

Have any recent visitors noticed if they have more variety of head covers at the shops than what they show on the online store?  I'm looking for a new Driver cover and putter cover.

7 minutes ago, BeefWellington said:

@VNutz

Yeah, that is kind of my take as well.  Last time we flew into Bandon we went through Coos and we didn't really know about the issues.  We all had our clubs make it and didn't realize we may have been lucky.  I mean between paying $30 for a checked bag and then potentially $60 for rentals that basically is the cost of shipping the sticks one way.

Plus, I'm one of those types that would get mental not having my clubs and blame my poor play on it.  Just being honest! haha

Have any recent visitors noticed if they have more variety of head covers at the shops than what they show on the online store?  I'm looking for a new Driver cover and putter cover.

I haven't been in a while, but each time I've been the selection in the shops has dwarfed what's available online. Usually more brands and different varieties, lots of different Seamus covers as well. You should be fine unless they've been cleaned out by the high attendance of late.

Just now, VNutz said:

I haven't been in a while, but each time I've been the selection in the shops has dwarfed what's available online. Usually more brands and different varieties, lots of different Seamus covers as well. You should be fine unless they've been cleaned out by the high attendance of late.

Speaking about high attendance, how busy are the courses during this time of the year on weekdays? Are all the tee times going to be booked? I already have my tee time for next week as a single but just curious. 

26 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Speaking about high attendance, how busy are the courses during this time of the year on weekdays? Are all the tee times going to be booked? I already have my tee time for next week as a single but just curious. 

I honestly do not know. My trips have always been during the off-seasons, but by all accounts they have been jam packed lately. I'd have to think that the earlier half of the week would be less crowded than toward the weekends.

I was looking at some of the course cameras over the weekend (a lot of rain in NJ), and I noticed there was quite a bit of lulls in the activity on the 1st tees at PD and SR.  PD on Sunday didn't have anyone on tee for about 40 minutes around 8:30ish.  SR was a bit more active, but also had some lulls of 1 or 2 open times it seemed.  Wonder if there are more times available because of the limited lodging.

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I was there as a single last week.  Pretty busy early morning, but afternoon rounds were wide open.  I ended up getting out earlier than my tee time each day and played by myself until catching up to people.  It was quick enough that I was able to play 3 rounds both days I was there.  Oh, and tons of headcovers.

Edited by Mustu