Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Turns out you can't say xxxx on here. So I will refer to it as the Devil's Uranus for now as surely the planet is not banned. 

Devils Uranus is a great name for a bunker. Which bunker is worst on property? There’s a couple on pacific where the bunker is almost over your head like a cave. 

17 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

Devils Uranus is a great name for a bunker. Which bunker is worst on property? There’s a couple on pacific where the bunker is almost over your head like a cave. 

The one that come to mind are Trails 13 greenside(wayyy below the green), also I remember being in the bunker short and right on hole 1 at pacific and there was so much sand in it that it was very difficult not to keep sinking in.

• Like 1

Trails#13 is absolutely fine IMHO, it's flat you just need to get the ball up quickly.

I've whinged before that it has to be something on Pac, due to all those stupidly huge and sanded bunker faces and the balls getting stuck in them.

The ruts and ditches on the right side of OM#9 have given me some of the worst sand-related lies, not on Pac.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

23 hours ago, ucmike11 said:

Thanks guys - I will keep the 60 in the bag.  

For what it's worth, if you're rocking 14* of bounce on that thing I would think twice before pulling it out for a 20-30y pitch shot. It'll still be useful in a bunch of other places though

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

21 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

The two worst on property IMO come back to back at #15 on Bandon Dunes, it is horrendously difficult to get the ball on the green from that bunker.

Next one is on #16 at Bandon Dunes, right in front of the green. It is very small and very deep, rare to find yourself with a reasonable full swing

• Like 1

Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

The bunkers that come to mind for me are the ones where you either have no shot out of at all (like Edaw mentions) or the greenside ones where you have no possible play toward the flag, like BD 15, PD 6, OM 14.

Bottom line is that most of the bunkers at the resort are at least a one stroke penalty.  Truly "hazards"...

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

The bunkers that come to mind for me are the ones where you either have no shot out of at all (like Edaw mentions) or the greenside ones where you have no possible play toward the flag, like BD 15, PD 6, OM 14.

Bottom line is that most of the bunkers at the resort are at least a one stroke penalty.  Truly "hazards"...

Ah now this got me thinking, where aren't they hazards? Leaving aside Trails, which has loads of 'framing' fairway bunkers that are easy to play out of, what about the other courses.

I guess on some par 5s you could say, well not getting there in 2 anyways so it's maybe a 1/2 stroke.

Maybe OM#3 and BD#14 (the one short left of the green) as they both leave you the same half-wedge you'd have from the fairway. PD#3 - in there prevents you from putting your 2nd in the greenside bunker 😄

But ya for how fair/relatively easy the courses are collectively off the tee, you are going to add strokes going in the vaaaaast majority of them.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

8 hours ago, rooski said:

The two worst on property IMO come back to back at #15 on Bandon Dunes, it is horrendously difficult to get the ball on the green from that bunker.

Next one is on #16 at Bandon Dunes, right in front of the green. It is very small and very deep, rare to find yourself with a reasonable full swing

Totally agree on BD#16. I got stuck in that little devil so glad to hear I am not alone. Love the hole as a whole though! Strategically, scenically, the lot.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Great review! @geauxtigers777

Out of sheer curiosity, I have to ask...1) why was BD originally your least favorite and 2) what was "different" this time for it to move up the rankings?

The first time I played it, it was 30 mph sustained winds with 40 + gusts (the ball wouldn't stay still for you to putt at times) , and I think I didn't even get to see much of the course because I was just keeping my head down to try and stay alive. The second time of the same trip, I couldn't keep the ball on the face of the earth. This time we played it in a moderate wind (15 mph for most of the round), and basically no wind. It allowed to actually appreciate the holes 

Edited by geauxtigers777
  • Like 1

@geauxtigers777 Well done! I'm counting the days until my next trip in November. I share your love of #11 at Trails; it's in my top five for sure. Just curious, is #4 really your favorite hole at Sheep Ranch?

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

1 hour ago, geauxtigers777 said:

The first time I played it, it was 30 mph sustained winds with 40 + gusts (the ball wouldn't stay still for you to putt at times) , and I think I didn't even get to see much of the course because I was just keeping my head down to try and stay alive. The second time of the same trip, I couldn't keep the ball on the face of the earth. This time we played it in a moderate wind (15 mph for most of the round), and basically no wind. It allowed to actually appreciate the holes 

I figured something like that had to be the reason haha.

Same reason why Pac Dunes is 4th on my list because I played it in crazy winds and it was my worst round of the trip. I have a strong feeling the next time I step foot on it it'll 100% move up the rankings.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, 2bGood said:

For the record the bunker I have heard called the Devil's URanus is on Hole 15 Short right of the green:

image.png.d84c5dc084f7fa4613b49daa17d94c12.png

I find it looks much less friendly in person.

You should have seen it before they redid the bunker 

it was like PD 6 left green side side bunker 

Edited by PorkChopExpress

Everybody relax, I’m here

8 hours ago, PorkChopExpress said:

2018?

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/blog/changes-bandon-dunes-pt-1-interview-david-mclay-kidd

hard to tell from the top view but that bunker was way more intimidating with the elevation 

I have not played the Reno then. just missed it. 

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see the greenside bunker left of the green on PD #6 mentioned. Easily, for me, one of the most "don't go there" bunkers on the property.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

27 minutes ago, Swingem said:

Maybe I missed it, but didn't see the greenside bunker left of the green on PD #6 mentioned. Easily, for me, one of the most "don't go there" bunkers on the property.

Yup, although I'm 2/2 in finding that bunker. But also 2/2 on getting out. I've never been short right on 15 BD, but I think that might be worse since it's such a small bunker and rises more abruptly. On 6 you have to get really high up but at least you have the distance to make it happen.

Perspective is a bit skewed from the pic angle from below, but this illustrates it pretty well.

6.jpg.0604a689ac8bc9dc3438665af74cb43e.jpg

• Like 1

The other thing I forgot to mention is that double socks is a game changer. I wear Balega running socks, and even with changing pairs between rounds, my feet were getting pretty worn down. The last 3 days, I doubled them up and did substantially better. I plan to do that on every trip going forward. 

14 hours ago, rooski said:

Small photo dump from my weekend trip out to Bandon. I'm blessed enough to have grown up in the area/have worked at Bandon and have some good long term friends that still work there. 

That means you message your buddy 5-7 days in advance and say "hey man if I head over that way can we sneak in a few rounds?"

Managed to get Pacific, Trails, and an emergency 9 in at Bandon 

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image.png.ef23d9c27eaac5925c22ac829670ada4.png

(Peep the ol' rooski on the Bandon Dunes instagram story 😂, as you can tell one of my buddies runs their social media)

EDIT: We also ate at The Forge for dinner one night, and wow that was easily one of the best meals I've ever had. I got the scallops and they were incredible.

Those first 2 pictures are incredible

1 minute ago, eboettne said:

Those first 2 pictures are incredible

Thanks! I'm not usually very good at taking pictures so I'm not sure why they came out so well.. Must be beginners luck.

The picture from my favorite moment of the trip didn't come out very well unfortunately. The sun was setting over #5 at Bandon near the ocean, everything was golden and the marine layer fog was just starting to roll over the course.

Almost a religious experience yet my picture of it doesn't capture the essence at all

On 9/11/2021 at 10:18 PM, geauxtigers777 said:

He was double bagging 2 of us, and the other 2 carried their bag. The 2 primary golfers gave him $135/round with a little extra at the end. The other 2 golfers gave him $40-60 each a day. We tried to grab lunch, drinks, etc as he would let us. He seemed appreciative.

If I'm reading right, that's about $700+ on your 36 hole days? As someone who lugged bags for a living, I would hope 700 would make him happy for a long day's work, unless that much has changed since I left the game 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, geauxtigers777 said:

The other thing I forgot to mention is that double socks is a game changer. I wear Balega running socks, and even with changing pairs between rounds, my feet were getting pretty worn down. The last 3 days, I doubled them up and did substantially better. I plan to do that on every trip going forward. 

Curious to know if you are regular walking golfer? I walk 120ish rounds per year so I don't find anything special needed at Bandon other than changing socks between rounds. I also like to change shoes as much as I can throughout a trip and bring 3 or 4 pairs. 

Having said all that I do find coolmax sock liners great when hiking but have never given the a try for golf. That might be good for person who does not walk allot and have blister issues. 

16 hours ago, rooski said:

Small photo dump from my weekend trip out to Bandon. I'm blessed enough to have grown up in the area/have worked at Bandon and have some good long term friends that still work there. 

That means you message your buddy 5-7 days in advance and say "hey man if I head over that way can we sneak in a few rounds?"

Managed to get Pacific, Trails, and an emergency 9 in at Bandon 

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image.png.ef23d9c27eaac5925c22ac829670ada4.png

(Peep the ol' rooski on the Bandon Dunes instagram story 😂, as you can tell one of my buddies runs their social media)

EDIT: We also ate at The Forge for dinner one night, and wow that was easily one of the best meals I've ever had. I got the scallops and they were incredible.

Pacific Dunes 10 and 11 are my favorite holes at Pacific Dunes. (primarily because my high handicapper game found a way to par both in a row with the crazy wind). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1