Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

@Mustu - I've got a Stadry Players 4 and it absolutely will help you if you get hit with a shower or two. Knock on wood, you shouldn't get any sustained rain in August, but as you say the forecast looks good and summer weather is consistent, so you should be able to get away with your regular bag.

Are you shouldering your own or plan on taking a Rickshaw? Based on the amount of golf one plays at Bandon I'd always opt for the smaller/lighter bag, YMMV.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

9 hours ago, duffer987 said:

@Mustu - I've got a Stadry Players 4 and it absolutely will help you if you get hit with a shower or two. Knock on wood, you shouldn't get any sustained rain in August, but as you say the forecast looks good and summer weather is consistent, so you should be able to get away with your regular bag.

Are you shouldering your own or plan on taking a Rickshaw? Based on the amount of golf one plays at Bandon I'd always opt for the smaller/lighter bag, YMMV.

I'm bringing my clicgear as I did last time.  I hadn't considered the weight. Even on a cart it makes a difference.  Maybe I'll take the Titleist and leave out a couple of clubs.  

1 hour ago, Mustu said:

I'm bringing my clicgear as I did last time.  I hadn't considered the weight. Even on a cart it makes a difference.  Maybe I'll take the Titleist and leave out a couple of clubs.  

Ah OK, ya that's dead handy. I do the same and bring my Clicgear, as that 3rd wheel makes things so much easier than the Rickshaws.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

18 hours ago, bradleyguye said:

Anyone know what they are building on the pacific dunes camera shot? Looks like it’s southeast of the punch bowl?

Not sure, a couple of us were speculating.  I know there was some kind of a maintenance shack/utility building in that general area, but the new concrete footings look a little too far away from that.  Maybe an expansion of the clubhouse receiving area?  There is a driveway in about that spot.

23 hours ago, Mustu said:

I'm so excited about my impromptu trip as a single to Bandon in a week and a half that I read through all 59 pages of this thread again.  A few questions for veterans:

I know I should be prepared for rain even though there isn't any in the forecast.  However, I prefer to use my SM 14 way bag versus my waterproof Titleist sta-dry.  I'm a little ocd and like the clubs in their individual slots.  Given the forecast I figured I'm okay, but what do you guys think?

I wear shorts at home if it's upper 40s or warmer.  I'm planning on wearing shorts, but don't really play in the wind so don't know if it would make a big difference in my choice.  I guess lightweight pants would be fine since it's not going to be hot, but I'm just used to shorts.

I have a 7 am at OM and then replay at 12:20 at BT.  Taking the next day off and then 7:20 at SR and 12:50 at PD.  I think I'm going to be in the early groups in the first round and expected to play in 4 hours (which is good; I like playing fast).  I don't like waiting around to play again since I just end up getting stiff.  Do I have good odds of getting out earlier for 2nd round?  I left BD off the schedule because I expect I'll be able to get in a 3rd round on one or both days and loved playing BD in the evening as the sun was going down last time I was there.  If I get out earlier on the 2nd round then a greater chance of me actually being able to finish the 3rd round.

If you're driving there, bring everything - clic gear, long pants, short pants, rain bag, etc.  It doesn't cost anything to have the stuff with you, and you'll have the full set of options to make the game-time decisions.

Day-of forecasts are usually pretty reliable, at least in the summer, but the Oregon Coast weather can change on a dime.

If you're flying, skip the cart and get a Riksha if you don't want to carry.  You can also probably borrow a light bag from Guest Services if you end up getting some holes in after 36 and just want to take a few clubs.  Personally, if I can only take one bag to Bandon, it's going to be a waterproof one, even in August.

Are you taking the whole day off in between the 36 hole days?  Keep the thought of just playing 18 around mid-day on that second day, or at least the Preserve.  There's not much else to do at the resort if you're not playing golf.  Maybe some hiking on the trail system, but if I'm walking, I might as well be playing...

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I also checked out the other menus, and noticed that the breakfast buffet seems to be gone, and Trails is no longer serving dinners.

Or they may just be in the middle of revamping all the menus...

Price increases don't seem to be too harsh this year - a couple lodging options actually went down.  The new rooms look super nice, and the renovated hot tub seems to be open.

Edited by spud3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

2 hours ago, spud3 said:

If you're driving there, bring everything - clic gear, long pants, short pants, rain bag, etc.  It doesn't cost anything to have the stuff with you, and you'll have the full set of options to make the game-time decisions.

Day-of forecasts are usually pretty reliable, at least in the summer, but the Oregon Coast weather can change on a dime.

If you're flying, skip the cart and get a Riksha if you don't want to carry.  You can also probably borrow a light bag from Guest Services if you end up getting some holes in after 36 and just want to take a few clubs.  Personally, if I can only take one bag to Bandon, it's going to be a waterproof one, even in August.

Are you taking the whole day off in between the 36 hole days?  Keep the thought of just playing 18 around mid-day on that second day, or at least the Preserve.  There's not much else to do at the resort if you're not playing golf.  Maybe some hiking on the trail system, but if I'm walking, I might as well be playing...

Yeah, I'm driving.  I'm staying with my friends in a beach house they rented so I'm just going to hang out with them my off day.  I may play the preserve that day if I get bored, but want to avoid getting too tired for my 2nd full day of golf.  I'm also playing Florence Golf Links the day I drive down.  I think you're the one who suggested it last time I went.  I loved it and am looking forward to playing it again.  The $35 twilight rate is going to almost feel free compared to how much I'll be paying at Bandon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spud3 said:

I also checked out the other menus, and noticed that the breakfast buffet seems to be gone, and Trails is no longer serving dinners.

Or they may just be in the middle of revamping all the menus...

Price increases don't seem to be too harsh this year - a couple lodging options actually went down.  The new rooms look super nice, and the renovated hot tub seems to be open.

Simply closed through September 1.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:12 AM, rouges1922 said:

Question for the Bandon vets on payments...I’ve done all the planning and everything for an upcoming trip for a couple buddies and myself in February and I was wondering if you guys think it would be better or easier to just have my buddies pay their portion to me directly, or it’s possible to just split it up while on site? I paid the deposit for the trip...are any of the rounds charged in advanced, or does that deposit go towards the cost of the room and then the rounds are billed on site? If they’re billed on site I’m leaning towards us just splitting up the costs on site. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

We had 1 person put down the deposit for our 6some. Then we all paid that person. Funny thing though, at the end, the entirety of our deposits all were applied to his account. LOL. They got it sorted out while we ate lunch on our last day. Easy Peasy.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:39 AM, duffer987 said:

Ah OK, ya that's dead handy. I do the same and bring my Clicgear, as that 3rd wheel makes things so much easier than the Rickshaws.

We flew, and didnt bring our own carts. That being said, I really liked the rickshaws. The big wheels where great, and they were super easy to use. The only problem was the lack of cupholder on quite a few of them. The starters said that they break off too easy and so at least half of the rickshaws dont have one. WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT MY BANDON PALE ALE?!?!?!

Waterproof bag?

I have used a Seaforth Rain Hood on top of a waterproof bag. Not at Bandon, but during torrential downpours in the Pacific Northwest. It works like a charm. Super easy to get my clubs in and out, and easy to see everything, but also keeps the rain out, even when it's windy.

https://seaforthraingear.com/shop/ols/products/seaforth-rain-gear-rain-hood

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

For those who haven't used "waterproof" bags.  The two areas where they shine.  1) in light to moderate sustained or heavy intermittent rain, they keep your clubs/grips/stuff dry.  2) in torrential/sustained rain where everything is wet/soaked and you're using rain gloves, they don't absorb nearly as much water so they're much lighter and dry out faster.

I think they're worth it, and bring mine regardless of the forecast.  But, as others mentioned, in real rain, you're playing with wet everything.  It's an excuse to buy new gear, but not a necessity imo.  You're better off making sure your rain gear, footwear, and gloves are in order.

Edited by buzlin
  • Like 2

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

3 minutes ago, buzlin said:

For those who haven't used "waterproof" bags.  The two areas where they shine.  1) in light to moderate sustained or heavy intermittent rain, they keep your clubs/grips/stuff dry.  2) in torrential/sustained rain where everything is wet/soaked and you're using rain gloves, they don't absorb nearly as much water so they're much lighter and dry out faster.

I think they're worth it, and bring mine regardless of the forecast.  But, as others mentioned, in real rain, you're playing with wet everything.  It's an excuse to buy new gear, but not a necessity imo.  You're better off making sure your rain gear, footwear, and gloves are in order.

Nice one. That perfectly encapsulates it IMHO.

• Like 1

F.T.

I got this from another Bandon thread, so not my idea, but if you're looking at using the rickshaws, this thing is well worth $10 investment to counter the lack of cup holders on some:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PK1G76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Hey all.

Just found this thread and have been reading through the last couple of days.

I have been trying to talk my buddies into a trip to Bandon for years now, but cannot convince anyone to leave the comforts of the east coast, so it seems I will have to swing a solo trip.

My concern is that most of what I have read, it seems most, if not all of you are in to 0-7ish hdcp range.  I play to an 11, and don't play in windy conditions often.  

I play as a single quite often, and walk most of the time, so I am comfortable with my game locally, but I do not want to feel like a burden to whomever I would get paired up with if I am "inconsistent" with my game.

Am I over-thinking this?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts

28 minutes ago, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

I have been trying to talk my buddies into a trip to Bandon for years now, but cannot convince anyone to leave the comforts of the east coast, so it seems I will have to swing a solo trip.

My concern is that most of what I have read, it seems most, if not all of you are in to 0-7ish hdcp range.  I play to an 11, and don't play in windy conditions often.  

I play as a single quite often, and walk most of the time, so I am comfortable with my game locally, but I do not want to feel like a burden to whomever I would get paired up with if I am "inconsistent" with my game.

0-7 HC on golfwrx means 11-15. You're good. Also, if you play the right tees you'll be more than fine. Courses aren't very hard, unless the elements are working against you, then everyone can struggle. 99% of the time I get paired with someone at a place like Bandon they are just wealthy dudes playing PXGs that have the money to burn shooting 120 😂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mci711 said:

0-7 HC on golfwrx means 11-15. You're good. Also, if you play the right tees you'll be more than fine. Courses aren't very hard, unless the elements are working against you, then everyone can struggle. 99% of the time I get paired with someone at a place like Bandon they are just wealthy dudes playing PXGs that have the money to burn shooting 120 😂

Have no problem moving up a box if weather determines that.  Got humbled at Kiawah a few years ago.  Played Ocean Course as a single (50th Bday treat) the day before Michael came thru Fla and west of the area.  Winds 30-40 sustained with gusts. The 9 holes into the wind kicked my a**.  Couldn't convince myself to go up 3-4 clubs, even with caddie pulling the clubs for me.  The other single I played with was a local and handled the conditions much better.  My inner-self couldn't get over the feeling I was holding the other guy back a bit, even though we had a great time.  Walked off 18 with tail between my legs, 91 on scorecard, and a very bruised ego.

I'm a mid single at home, but at Bandon I'm a mid high teen cap.   Pace a play and being cool matter above anything else.  Loving golf is all there is to it.  I can't comment on the wealthy PXG guys who shoot 100+ (a high season phenomenon?), but everyone I've ever been paired with has been a golf fanatic, was personable, and had a blast.  I don't have any recollection of how well they played.

Edited by buzlin

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Curious, I just had my last post flagged and in need of moderator approval.  I did use a word that also happens to be the name of a "former" president..... hilarious.

Edited by buzlin

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

I have been several times and here is my 2 cents. First couple of trips, I over packed ( still laugh thinking I actually packed 6 pairs of pants.)  Way over packed. I have been in Winter, Spring, Summer & Fall and in al 4 scenarios, I find that less is better unless I drive which i have done once. If I drive, I bring everything as you can swap things in and out. If I fly, I am a minimalist to the core. 2 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of shorts (in case a zipper goes south), hat, socks, Pullover and undies. (Also, plenty of ibuprofen) All I do is play golf, eat & sleep. 

In the winter, it is Galvin Green GoreTex and at least 2-3 pairs of shoes. As many pairs of socks as the number of rounds I will play. Also a rain wedge cover which is a cheap way to keep clubs dry. 20-30 bucks on amazon. Also several zip lock bags to keep stuff dry. Cannot stress enough the importance of quality rain gear. It lasts 20 years and you will get your money's worth the first time you have "that day"

I have had great and bad weather in both the fall & the spring so be prepared but no reason to over think it. 

In summer, if I see the forecast is clear, I don't even pack my rain gear and have yet to regret that decision. Within 3 days of your trip, they have it pretty well down on the forecast.   I bring a waterproof short sleeve pullover as a just in case along with my rain gloves in case there is fog early that could turn into drizzle. Lots and lots of sunscreen as even if it is cloudy, you will get fried. 

I own a waterproof bag but don't use it any more. I have found even in the rainy trips, I don't see much difference to my ultra light Cobra bag. Nothing gets wet that won't dry out over night & weight is paramount when I carry my own clubs. I do not take a lob wedge and usually take out my gap & one of my woods. I always play at least 36 a day and have played as many as 67 so I want a light bag to carry. with the wind almost always up, I never seem to have a "stock shot" and have never once wished I had brought that other club. Flight it down or ride the wind!. The other thing about an ultra light bag is I can fit everything I am taking into my travel bag  & stay under 50 lbs so no carry on's at all. 

I am going first week of November and it cannot get here fast enough. 

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

1 hour ago, roadtripper said:

Hey all.

You won't be a burden. Bandon is not about the score, its about the experience and the walk with your fellow Bandonistas. Embrace the conditions and the conversations. I go twice a year with friends and once a year as a single and have had amazing experiences meeting new friends. 

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

Bandon is such a special place....to put it into perspective I just got back from Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes today and although its a great resort and probably my second favorite in the world Sand Valley doesnt even compare to Bandon Dunes.  Bandon is just that good and that is not a knock on SV

I took my first trip to Bandon in June and it was simply amazing.  I would not hesitate to go by myself to a place like Bandon because the people you golf with are super cool people.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I went as a single this year and would not hesitate to do it again. I wouldn’t worry about your lack of experience in windy conditions. I rarely play in windy conditions and hit the ball high, and I was able to adjust pretty quickly. A 30 mph breeze is much more manageable at Bandon than Kiawah as you can play shots along the ground. You will also be able to find your ball and have a chance to recover. Don’t wait around for your buddies!

33 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Bandon is such a special place....to put it into perspective I just got back from Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes today and although its a great resort and probably my second favorite in the world Sand Valley doesnt even compare to Bandon Dunes.  Bandon is just that good and that is not a knock on SV

I took my first trip to Bandon in June and it was simply amazing.  I would not hesitate to go by myself to a place like Bandon because the people you golf with are super cool people.  

This is going to be very controversial, but Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes combo is a more fun than any combo at Bandon. (ducks from throwing objects)....  I think Sand Valley may actually be the best course out of all of them. Bandon is a better destination because of 5 world class courses and more depth obviously. 

3 minutes ago, mci711 said:

This is going to be very controversial, but Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes combo is a more fun than any combo at Bandon. (ducks from throwing objects)....  I think Sand Valley may actually be the best course out of all of them. Bandon is a better destination because of 5 world class courses and more depth obviously. 

To each their own....all world class golf courses for sure.  For some reason SV just doesnt do it for me and I prefer MD over SV.

The views at Bandon Dunes are out of this world.  To be honest the top 5 courses I have ever played are all at Bandon and that says a lot for me since I have played places like Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Streamsong, Kingsley Club, Oakland Hills etc.

But they are all fine courses and I am sure some people would agree with you.  We are just so lucky to have great golf courses in the U.S.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link