Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

Indeed. Back in the day... well OK only 8 or 9 years ago we joked with a mate who was in sports merch at the time he was missing a trick - imagine all the Bandon-branded tat you could sell?!

They are definitely making up for lost time.

I like me some headwear, but really that's about the only thing I've been consistently buying the past 10yrs.

The more I think about it, there is so much wrong in that one little  post (not the poster).

1. Golf course Christmas decorations are a thing

2. 24K gold Christmas decorations are a thing

3. $48 Christmas decoration are a thing

4.(and mind blown). $48, 24K gold Golf Course Christmas decorations are a thing.

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

The more I think about there is so much wrong in that one little  post (not the poster).

1. Golf course Christmas decorations are a thing

2. 24K gold Christmas decorations are a thing

3. $48 Christmas decoration are a thing

4.(and mind blown). $48, 24K gold Golf Course Christmas decorations are a thing.

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Apparently $48 is a few $ off the company's going rate 🙄

https://kittykeller.com/collections/just-christmas

I'm an all in one box and plug it in, job done Xmas tree person (well at the family home, my flat it's um... less ya) but for those that get into it... well we'll see if there is a market for it.

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

4 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Apparently $48 is a few $ off the company's going rate 🙄

https://kittykeller.com/collections/just-christmas

I'm an all in one box and plug it in, job done Xmas tree person (well at the family home, my flat it's um... less ya) but for those that get into it... well we'll see if there is a market for it.

There is a market. My wife loves grabbing Christmas decorations from places we visit. I recall sweating my balls off in New Orlean's and for some reason it occurs to her we need to buy a Christmas decoration. 🤷‍♂️ She does not buy $50 ones, but I am sure there is market for people who do want 'higher end' items.  

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dutz said:

Played in the Barstool Qualifier at Erin Hills with a buddy of mine that had never been on a golf only trip.  We went to SV for a few days before playing at Erin two days in a row.  He was hooked when we drove onto the property.  He never really understood what all my fuss was about when I talked about Bandon, but on the first day at SV he said I have to go.   

About 10 days ago, after we talked about it for a month, I called out to the resort and booked 3 days at the end of March 2022.  The last 3 years I have been with my family, but schedules didn’t work out for the winter/spring so my buddy and I are going to go.   We are currently on the wait list for one additional night on either side of the booked dates, but we were able to get two different types of rooms for both nights.  

This was the first time I had difficulty booking tee times.  We are all over the map.  The reservations department was very confident in it all working out based upon their experiences, and I am too with a couple visits under my belt.  Here is the initial itinerary:

March 2022:

26th - fly to Eugene early, hoping to get an afternoon tee time, need a room. 
27th - 10:40 Old Mac - round lake room. Hoping to get an earlier time, throw in a PM round. 
28th - 9:10 Trails, 2:30 Dunes, round lake room.

29th - 9:20 Sheep Ranch, 2:50 Pacific, drive back to Eugene. 
30th - fly home

Ideally, a room in the 26th would be great, moving Old Mac up on the 27th, and adding a time on Pacific and Bandon the 26th and 27th would be perfect scenario for me.  The last guaranteed to finish time is 2:30.  Pacific will be close, but by the end of the 7th round we will be limping in anyway.   

Those times work out in a good way if it wasn’t to change, ease into the experience and get to see all the tracks once.  I’ve posted about it before, I’m not a big fan of Old Mac or Sheep, but being his first time he has to see them all to make up his own mind. We left OM off the itinerary when I was in March of ‘21, and talked about leaving SR the next time we go.  Just keeping the 3 course loop of BT, BD, and PD to maximize the courses we like. 

No formal times booked on the preserve, we will throw it in at the end of one of the days to be the free third round.  This is how we did it this past March, it was the first week of March, so this being the last we have plenty of daylight.   May be too much go, go, go, for some folks, but that’s what I’m out there to do! 

I'm there that exact same time as you with one of my large group trips. Favorite time of year to go. Longer days so 36 no problem. You will get room situation worked out. I have done similar thing as you, just call them once a month and you can move tee times up as they get cancellations. I had a 4 day trip where I had one room for one night, no room, a different room then no room and as it got closer, we got same room, same room same room & same room with no changes. I even got all my tee times adjusted so we had 36 no issue w the daylight short. They are so great to work with. I am going in February with 2 nephews who have never been and are jonesing to the point of nausea. We only have a room for 1 of the 3 nights as of now but I am sure it will work out. Issue is they have to flip coin for who gets the other bed! I told them not to lose site of one thing and one thing only: We are going to Bandon!!!!1 

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

2 hours ago, 2bGood said:

There is a market. My wife loves grabbing Christmas decorations from places we visit. I recall sweating my balls off in New Orlean's and for some reason it occurs to her we need to by a Christmas decoration. 🤷‍♂️ She does not by $50 ones, but I sure there is market for people who do want 'higher end' items.  

My wife and I have these ornaments from KittyKeller from courses all over. If the course has an ornament we pick it up. It is pretty unique and fun to put them up each year. They are definitely priced right as they are heavy glass and hand crafted. Only a matter of time until our cat knocks one off the tree though. We have maybe 12 courses from this shop. 

Going back to Bandon is November. Not looking forward to getting the bill at the end of the week. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 2

Just to report a few things…..

just left the resort today…

1. new restaurant going in at old McDonald just south of 18 green. Heard sports bar or steakhouse. 

2. bandon trails restaurant still closed due to staffing shortages. 

3. building a new fireplace and covering by practice putting green at bandon dunes. 3 month project. 

4. bandon inn bar is closed currently 

5. used laundry service. Very efficient. For a mix of 7 items it came out to $50ish dollars. 

6. bunker bar is open 

7. Resort was absolutely packed. Never have seen it so busy. 

more to come. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, birdhays said:

Looks like there is a new Old Mac course camera on the website. It appears to be stationed at the halfway house between 7 green and 16 tee. 

Hey, you’re right! Thanks! I spend most of my lunchtime each day looking at the Bandon course cams.  I guess I missed the Old Mac cam til now. It has a few more positions than the other course cams. Thanks a bunch!

Has anyone ever flown into Medford OR, Redmond OR, or Arcata CA and drive over? Thinking about changing my flight from Southwest to United or American after today's southwest airlines pilot debacle. Got stuck in Atlanta and had to drive home with a rental car today and pay a $1k drop fee for bringing my car back to a different city 😂

Not trying to have something like that happen for Bandon. 

Edited by mci711

27 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Has anyone ever flown into Medford OR, Redmond OR, or Arcata CA and drive over? Thinking about changing my flight from Southwest to United or American after today's southwest airlines pilot debacle. Got stuck in Atlanta and had to drive home with a rental car today and pay a $1k drop fee for bringing my car back to a different city 😂

Not sure about the logistics of the flight, but I live in Medford and just wanted to let you know the drive from Medford to Bandon is absolutely beautiful. Peak Oregon some of the best land in the whole country.

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Redmond might be the easiest airport in the US but you are a good 5 hrs, with no stops, from Bandon. 

Little side story about Redmond. I have a good buddy who lives in Bend and travels for work. It takes him less time to drive to the airport, fly to Portland or Seattle and then fly out from there than it did for him to drive to PDX, park and get to his gate. Never seen a line anywhere in that airport. 

54 minutes ago, mci711 said:

To me this sounds like when I try to outsmart the line at the grocery store and I always, every. single. time. pick the wrong line.

I would read absolutely nothing into this. American went through similar "cancellations" early in the summer - I know because I was on a flight from DC to Vegas that got cancelled the night before and they cancelled something like 2,000 flights over 3 days. Miraculously, no other airlines had cancellations for "weather" - just American.

Wouldn't give it one minute of thought.

Edited by dcmidnight

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

I feel your one-way pain. Few years back I missed a flight to Charleston and the only way I could make our next morning teetime at The Ocean Course was to fly into Atlanta and drive there. Made it to the hotel in Kiawah around 2am... good times, good times.

I'm actually doing a Medford OR pickup for one of the guys this year. It's the next shortest drive after Eugene and the only thing to worry about in the winter (if not going in winter then no worries) is dodgy weather on the run from Grants Pass to Canyonville. Otherwise the airport is well served (for it's small size).

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Do we know this already? I stumbled upon it while looking for something else and I don't remember it as such.

Keiser's want to redo the Bandon Beach Hotel, out by Coquille Point.

https://www.cityofbandon.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/general/meeting/10334/record_1_decision_and_appeal.pdf

• Thanks 1

F.T.

17 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

To me this sounds like when I try to outsmart the line at the grocery store and I always, every. single. time. pick the wrong line.

I would read absolutely nothing into this. American went through similar "cancellations" early in the summer - I know because I was on a flight from DC to Vegas that got cancelled the night before and they cancelled something like 2,000 flights over 3 days. Miraculously, no other airlines had cancellations for "weather" - just American.

Wouldn't give it one minute of thought.

Southwest has been a disaster this year. This is my inbox for the 3 trips I have planned this fall/winter. Not just the cancelation issue this weekend. I have no faith that my current trip will happen as planned. Medford doesn't seem like a terrible option though it sounds others have done that and there are good options to select from. Though, I'll have to look into Weather in late november, sounds like driving may be an issue. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 4.14.39 PM.png

18 hours ago, rooski said:

Not sure about the logistics of the flight, but I live in Medford and just wanted to let you know the drive from Medford to Bandon is absolutely beautiful. Peak Oregon some of the best land in the whole country.

I know nothing about the area. Is driving in late November going to be tough with snow?

8 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I know nothing about the area. Is driving in late November going to be tough with snow?

Medford itself has a very small chance of having some amount of snow, but likely not as we only get like 3 inches per year, generally late December or January.

Since you'd be driving from inland to the coast, your chance of running into snow will go from "highly unlikely" to "absolutely no chance". Overall very little snow in the area

• Like 1

Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

57 minutes ago, mci711 said:

https://www.registerguard.com/news/20191124/oregon-mountain-passes-to-get-slammed-with-snow-before-thanksgiving

This is what I was remembering, from the last pre-covid year. Fortunately I wasn't on airport pickup duty and stuck to Hwy 1 🙂

As the story says it was more down towards the border down the Mt. Shasta that got beatup.

That is a serious outlier though.

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 1

F.T.

1 hour ago, duffer987 said:

https://www.registerguard.com/news/20191124/oregon-mountain-passes-to-get-slammed-with-snow-before-thanksgiving

This is what I was remembering, from the last pre-covid year. Fortunately I wasn't on airport pickup duty and stuck to Hwy 1 🙂

As the story says it was more down towards the border down the Mt. Shasta that got beatup.

That is a serious outlier though.

Yeah definitely important to note it is "unlikely" but when freak storms show up in Oregon I've seen it dump 18 inches overnight

• Like 2

I think a bigger issue is mud sliding. A couple years ago we drove through Drain about 7-7:30 in a pouring rain. No issues but came to find out the next day a 100-200 yard section of the 2 lane road that sits against a river washed out about a 1/2 hr behind us. We got lucky because we probably would have ended up in the river. 

1 hour ago, mallrat said:

I think a bigger issue is mud sliding. A couple years ago we drove through Drain about 7-7:30 in a pouring rain. No issues but came to find out the next day a 100-200 yard section of the 2 lane road that sits against a river washed out about a 1/2 hr behind us. We got lucky because we probably would have ended up in the river. 

From Medford to Bandon he wouldn't be heading through Drain and the drive doesn't really have those embankments like the one through Drain.

That being said I don't think those mudslides are too common 😛 

11 minutes ago, rooski said:

From Medford to Bandon he wouldn't be heading through Drain and the drive doesn't really have those embankments like the one through Drain.

That being said I don't think those mudslides are too common 😛 

Fair enough. I realized he wouldn’t be going through Drain but I thought all those routes had winding 2 lane roads. 

4 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Fair enough. I realized he wouldn’t be going through Drain but I thought all those routes had winding 2 lane roads. 

They do for sure, but the one after Drain is uniquely right against those dirt walls. Certainly exists throughout Oregon but after Drain you're basically just right against them

If the Sexton passes are snowed in, there's the alternate route from Grants Pass toward Crescent City on 199, then north on 101 to Bandon.  Probably adds about a half hour, but it's a beautiful drive and pretty much zero chance of snow.

(Rogue Valley native here...)

• Like 3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Thank you for the info everyone! We changed our flights to Medford. I don't really see any reason not to. A little cheaper, shorter flight/layover, shorter drive. I guess I'll post how the experience flying into here went in a couple of weeks. I may be missing something because I searched for Medford in this thread and found basically nothing - that is concerning 😂.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:45 PM, mci711 said:

I played with 2 old guys last year who said they always fly into Medford, spend night and drive the 3 hrs, have a nice meal and tee off around noon. I am going in February with 2 nephews who live in Idaho and I am flying into Medford and they are picking me up and driving in early the next morn. They have 4 wheel drive so should be ok. I had never thought of it before I met those old dudes. Takes the panic out of it. I have literally been eating a Big Mac, changing into shorts or pants due to weather, driving one handed like a BOOH to make a tee time from either Eugene or NB instead of just chilling and enjoying it all.  

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

2 minutes ago, Serenity Now said:

I played with 2 old guys last year who said they always fly into Medford, spend night and drive the 3 hrs, have a nice meal and tee off around noon. I am going in February with 2 nephews who live in Idaho and I am flying into Medford and they are picking me up and driving in early the next morn. They have 4 wheel drive so should be ok. I had never thought of it before I met those old dudes. Takes the panic out of it. I have literally been eating a Big Mac, changing into shorts or pants due to weather, driving one handed like a BOOH to make a tee time from either Eugene or NB instead of just chilling and enjoying it all.  

Our flight gets in around 1, so we won't be playing that first day. But we'll get to drive there in the daylight and my wife will get to see it for the first time in light. Grab dinner, hang out, and get ready for the week ahead. I am excited to not have a 5 hour drive from Portland at night. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Our flight gets in around 1, so we won't be playing that first day. But we'll get to drive there in the daylight and my wife will get to see it for the first time in light. Grab dinner, hang out, and get ready for the week ahead. I am excited to not have a 5 hour drive from Portland at night. 

Must be same connector my mate will take later on - that afternoon arrival time makes such a difference. Normally they are getting in evening or later and then it's do we drive over in the dark and maybe the wet or have an early start the next day.

You can take Spud's detour and visit a Tiger park on the way 😉

F.T.

Random question here.  My wife has agreed to make Bandon part of a bigger West Coast road trip.  She wants to play the Preserve (will usually play executive 9s/par 3 courses with me, but not much else), and then walk with me on either Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, or Sheep Ranch.  Planning to come back later to play the other courses.  Will be stopping for 2 nights, and for sure Preserve and one full round, hoping for a 2nd the next day but might not be able to.

Can she just walk with me and pay a small "Trail Fee" or something?  Or do we have to pay the full rack rate for her to join?  Could I essentially call her my caddy, even though I wouldn't make her carry my clubs?  She really just wants to enjoy the views.  Hoping to play the OG Bandon Dunes, and come back in 2023 with some buddies on a bigger trip.