2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

392yd longest drive with M5!

Pittknife

I bought the M5 a few weeks ago to replace my g400max. It’s taken awhile for me to adjust to it as the g400max is such a great club for forgiveness. After dialing it in I got the perfect settings for me, low and 2 clicks low from face, set to 8.25 deg., hzrdus smoke 6.5 70. I played in a tournament today with caddies verifying scores and prizes. I was told I had the longest drive the caddies have seen on a bunch of holes including some 330-350yd drives. On the long drive hole a par 4 467 yds I hit a bomb 392yds, which the tournament director said was longest in history at the course. I swung really hard btw lol

I was about to trade in the M5 because I had it in max fade and was hitting snap hooks and low in the face. after adjustment of the weights I’m just killing the ball with a 10yd draw and it’s a difference of 30yds distance. It’s hard to imagine those weights can do that but I think it has more to do with how they affect your face rotation. So I won’t be bashing the m5 anymore or trading it in.... thanks to all the guys that reached out to me in golfwrx and helping me figure out the optimal setting. Just a couple of clicks of the wrench changed everything....

Some pics of the hole.

k2sqedq8awd7.jpeg

k6i76wmjtciu.jpeg

7mk1l6o9hzsm.jpeg

Was that with the stock Hazardous Smoke shaft?

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Just curious, orientate me....on the pic - is that from tee box out? If so, and you hit 10yds of draw, are u a lefty?

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Would love to see the swing that can produce 400yard drive, there has got to be close to 130mph on that club head, very impressive! I've seen only Cameron Champ do these kind of distances when he nuts one.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

> @toddba11 said:

> Was that with the stock Hazardous Smoke shaft?

No it’s a custom one, not the titleist one. The stock felt empty to me so a week ago I got a real one and put a tmag adapter in it. It feels better less light and empty if that makes sense. I changed the swingweight to D2 as well with the new shaft and went to 45” vs the 45.75”

> @avguy said:

> Just curious, orientate me....on the pic - is that from tee box out? If so, and you hit 10yds of draw, are u a lefty?

The tee box is to the bottom left on that pic, it’s a dead straight hole, the angle of the pic makes it look like a dogleg right.

> @Hedgehog said:

> Would love to see the swing that can produce 400yard drive, there has got to be close to 130mph on that club head, very impressive! I've seen only Cameron Champ do these kind of distances when he nuts one.

My CHS is only 115 maybe 120 if I swing for the fences like I did, ball speed mid 160s. I can lower my trajectory and hit it like a bullet so with being elevated and a little tailwind it was just a perfect scenario. Most of the time I only carry it 270-280. But I’ve been hitting the m5 a little longer.

> @playa said:

> Nice drive.

> And nice work slipping in the brag?

When you get my age and pure one like this you gotta post it somewhere lol

• Like 1

> @Shades234 said:

> How many bounces on the cart path? ;) jk. Nice poke.

Ironic you'd post this, I just had my own new personal longest tee shot distance, due to the ball bouncing on the path no fewer than five times. LOL

'Grats to the 'Knife on tapping 390+ {tip cap}

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

what weight settings did you end up with?

Great hit and course looks lovely.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @scott_Donald said:

> what weight settings did you end up with?

>

> Great hit and course looks lovely.

I went from both at max fade, to both being in the low position except the 2nd one being 2 clicks back of lowest. It made a huge difference for me as far as the way the face felt.

> @t4t3r said:

> The HZRDUS Smoke is going to be the same regardless of source unless you got a completely different Smoke (like Yellow for instance), or it was tipped differently, etc. Shouldn’t be enough variance to cause any significant differences like for like.

I got the newer one from a local shop and cut it down to spec, I can't tell if it's the 3/4" shorter, swing weight or if it was the one from Titleist that was the difference but it was a big difference in the way the club felt. I put the Titleist one back in and there was a big difference in feel and swing dynamic.

> @handyquacks17 said:

> 392...wow that ball was bamboozled. I swing a Tour issue 915 d2 and love the accuracy but the M5 is really testing my patience and making me want to try something new

Thanks bro, I would recommend keep testing the M5 until you get comfortable with buying it. I will tell you after I bought mine I was regretting the $600 until I got it setup correctly.

> @Barfolomew said:

> Was it downhill? cause if it was you cant drop 392 in your original post without mentioning that lol... or else your gonna get lit up for masking it..... its the way of forums young jedi

Of course it was down hill, that's why I included a pic of the hole and I'm not young btw. Next longest drive on that hole was 320yds which is still a great poke.

> @Krt22 said:

> Musta got a generous bounce off a sprinkler head! I have some 340-350 pokes with help of elevation/wind with my M6, nothing in the 390 range yet!

we had forecaddies and they told me it flew 350 and rolled out. I checked the ball and only regular scuffs. Try an M5 in the settings I posted, there is a lot of roll and penetrating ball flight especially down wind

• Like 1

> @Pittknife said:

> > @Barfolomew said:

> > Was it downhill? cause if it was you cant drop 392 in your original post without mentioning that lol... or else your gonna get lit up for masking it..... its the way of forums young jedi

>

> Of course it was down hill, that's why I included a pic of the hole and I'm not young btw. Next longest drive on that hole was 320yds which is still a great poke.

>

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Musta got a generous bounce off a sprinkler head! I have some 340-350 pokes with help of elevation/wind with my M6, nothing in the 390 range yet!

>

> we had forecaddies and they told me it flew 350 and rolled out. I checked the ball and only regular scuffs. Try an M5 in the settings I posted, there is a lot of roll and penetrating ball flight especially down wind

Haha nice poke kid!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @kekoa said:

> What was your longest with the max??

I was carrying the max 270-280, but almost zero roll. Most of time you see the divot in front of my drive and that was delofted to 8deg. It is a great club but just too spinny and high launch for me.

> @t4t3r said:

> 350 is some carry even downhill and down wind with mid 160 ball speed. Just sayin...

Yeah, I almost never swing that hard, my ball speed is mid 160s. If I had to guess I would say I was 120-125 chs+ on that swing probably closer to 180s ball speed. It's not controllable, just one of those rare setups that you pound. This is pretty exclusive course, you hit fairway and you are 30-50 yds + roll. It's going to be hard to not remember this drive for a long time, just hoping I start not to swing out of my shoes.

> @TaddNOhio said:

> "MASTER DRIVER MIKE"

> great drive ! I'd need driver/9 iron to get it 392 ??? .. i'd like to have you on my 4-man scramble team

Thanks bro, if you are ever near the burg we can play

> @jackaa said:

> Cool.. That's a BIG bomb. I know the hole.

> I'm from Pittsburgh and caddied for Tom **** in 1972 at the Pgh Field club.

> Jack

That was my first time at pfc, I've been invited to Fox Chapel but never got to play the field club until now. I really want another chance at the course now that I know where to hit it and putt. Greens are a little deceiving and my caddie wasn't the best at reading them yet.

I was in the fairway even with the bunker on the left short of the green.