Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawx

Yes, if you’re left-handed, you can get these irons with the Vizard 85 graphite shafts for $494. This is an unreal deal, especially for graphite.  The Vizard 85 isn’t a bad shaft either.

• Like 1

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

2 hours ago, thed0n said:

Yes, if you’re left-handed, you can get these irons with the Vizard 85 graphite shafts for $494. This is an unreal deal, especially for graphite.  The Vizard 85 isn’t a bad shaft either.

if they have not sold out, Pro Clubs has them in right or left for that $494 price. For new premium Japanese forged irons! This design would please a wide range of golfers if they tried them. You just don’t see high-tech irons made like these with all forged pieces, plus they are very forgiving but don’t have super long blade lengths. I don’t know of another club quite like it. They had to be more expensive to make, Honma did not go it again and went with a cast body in the next iteration.

The Vizard 85 is made in Japan by Honma and is high quality. It feels excellent. Surprised me with its steady peformance. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 weeks later...

I want a new set of irons but I’m not sure what will have me take the TW-X irons out of my bag.

Maybe a set of Miura CB-801’s, can’t think of much else. The wider soles of the TW-X’s have bugged me a little bit but most of the time I don’t even notice. I think the pre-worn, beveled edge of these irons helps a lot with turf interaction.

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2022 at 12:20 PM, GolfingLefty18 said:

How’s the PW offset? I have a set of blades but the PW & 9’s offset puts me off a bit. 

I think it's very minimal. My opinion. 

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:20 PM, GolfingLefty18 said:

How’s the PW offset? I have a set of blades but the PW & 9’s offset puts me off a bit. 

PW offset

16688648067326317061085045598285.jpg

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

2 minutes ago, gdb99 said:

I see you have the regular flex Vizard shafts. Do you know what your swing speed is with a 6 or 7 iron? 

No. I've never paid much attention to swing speed. I'm 70 so I doubt it's very high. I hit a 31 degree 7 iron around 135.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

On 11/18/2022 at 6:31 PM, braincramp52 said:

20221118_053611.jpg

Great looking irons. I think they look very stylish. The long irons are so playable too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Great looking irons. I think they look very stylish. The long irons are so playable too. 

@touch and @conrad made me aware of these. I had seen them but never paid a lot of attention to them. The more I looked into them the more I realized they were the perfect iron for me. Small amount of offset, smaller profile , thin topline, forged feel and wider sole for my miss which is fat.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

14 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

@touch and @conrad made me aware of these. I had seen them but never paid a lot of attention to them. The more I looked into them the more I realized they were the perfect iron for me. Small amount of offset, smaller profile , thin topline, forged feel and wider sole for my miss which is fat.

It was a teaching pro from Asia who played them who told me about them. Guy is a plus handicap and played the 4-8 TW-X heads in events, paired with pure forged 9-PW. He said I hit compact faces better (he said that is not unusual for better players) and to check them out. He called them consistent and fast. On wrx, my Texas buddy @wam78 also spoke highly of Honmas and said these “have another gear.” That is spot on. 

They’re unbelievably affordable now for a high-tech, quality forged iron. Honma is a top brand in Asia (very popular in South Korea, I noticed when I was there) but has little resell value in the U.S. But who cares when sets can be found for $450 or less new! Just buy new Honma sets first released 2-3 years ago and avoid that major depreciation. I think players are put off by the lighter Izard shafts but those are high-quality shafts. Honma does their own R&D in Japan. It’s a top shelf company. And they can be changed or kept in the longer irons and changed in the shorter clubs. No big deal.

Even better they are easy to combo in the short irons if you want with either the TR20P or V — newer models but already dropping in price, especially on the preowned market. The P is actually a perfect matchup. 

And fyi, last week Rock Bottom was selling the easy-launching 2020 Honma XP-1 fairways (3 wood has a carbon crown), new for $75! Those were north of $300 new. So I got the 3 with a really whippy 53g regular shaft. I’ll change that to a Diamana BF 70g I have and see how she goes.

• Like 3

@dmeeksDC is spot on!  Honma makes incredible gear, especially irons.  I had the tr20v, p and TW-x combo set last year and they were impressive.  The TW-x was one of the best looking hollow body irons I’ve seen.  Has plenty of horsepower without techy.  Some amazing irons for sure!  Could easily game them again.

Cobra   Darkspeed LS 10.5   Accra Tz5 65 M5

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

6 hours ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Well- I’m bummed. Put in an order with Pro Clubs on eBay and they cancelled my order after marking it as shipped, stating no more sets in inventory. Was going to be a Birthday present to myself. Crud. 

That is a bummer. Looking for a lefty set? May want to keep checking. Sometimes they get returns. The Pro Clubs eBay store is currently showing one lefty set in stock. So maybe they found one more set or could be their eBay listing does not stay current.

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

That is a bummer. Looking for a lefty set? May want to keep checking. Sometimes they get returns. The Pro Clubs eBay store is currently showing one lefty set in stock. So maybe they found one more set or could be their eBay listing does not stay current.

Thats a regular. I put in for stiff flex with the Vizards. 

53 minutes ago, wobgon said:

Somewhat off topic here, but does anyone know where a tr20v 11 iron could be bought?

If you don’t get one in a set, best bet is to keep checking eBay for a single. They’re not super rare, they’re out there, but they are a bit hard to come by. They do pop up. I picked up a new T20V 11 head only from Mike’s Golf Outlet for $90. Had been seeing 8,9 and 10 heads for a while and one day there was an 11 head. Them, Pro Clubs and Quickship Golf often have Honma stuff. 

4A7A1348-295B-4D54-94F7-76D8A2A17433.jpeg.15d5c9920fad1a69de171997378ee611.jpeg

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

If you don’t get one in a set, best bet is to keep checking eBay for a single. They’re not super rare, they’re out there, but they are a bit hard to come by. They do pop up. I picked up a new T20V 11 head only from Mike’s Golf Outlet for $90. Had been seeing 8,9 and 10 heads for a while and one day there was an 11 head. Them, Pro Clubs and Quickship Golf often have Honma stuff. 

4A7A1348-295B-4D54-94F7-76D8A2A17433.jpeg.15d5c9920fad1a69de171997378ee611.jpeg

So you are the one 🧐......You bought this one just before I started looking.....I saw it among the sold items. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wobgon said:

So you are the one 🧐......You bought this one just before I started looking.....I saw it among the sold items. 

Well, I am not sure I am going to play it. I am testing an Edison 51 gap wedge at that spot against the incumbent New Level Type M 50 degree, which is a lower bounce option built with an s300 8 iron shaft trim and has performed very well. If either of those sticks, you can have first right of refusal on the TR20-V 11 head if you have not already found one (and you still want it.) I won’t let it sit around. I am solid on my Edel SMS T grind wedge at 54. Had a great season with that club. It got me in tight for a noticeable uptick in birdies. 

I am settling on some combo of TW-X (4,5), TR20P (6-8) and V (9-10, undecided on 11.) The head size and playability in that lineup suits me. I’m impressed by the Honma irons. Compare any of those three irons to irons of similar construction, the Honmas are real contenders. 

I may have to reshaft to make it work. I like the feel of the stock Vizard 85 in the TW-X but I’ve tested exhaustively and I need heavier. Have been pleased with a test 6 iron built with a Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic 110 (reg flex, they are stable.) The P’s have Project X Rifle 5.5’s in them and I could just leave those and do the Paderson in the long irons. I have no problem mixing shafts in a set, I pay attention mainly to weight. 

• Like 1

45 degrees and sunny with very little wind so I got in some quality time with the Honma's today . Can't think of the last time I've been this impressed with a set of irons. They are everything Touch and Conrad said they were and more. Here's my take.

Distance - they are a degree weaker in lofts than my G400's but distance seems the same even though it was pretty damn cool. They could be longer if the temps would have been in the 60's or 70's. They feel Hot off the face.

Feel/Sound - I can't describe what perfect sounds or feels like but that's what they are. I flushed one 5 iron that just made me laugh out loud. I'm going to speak a word I swore I'd never say when it comes to iron feel....... Butter!

Forgiveness - I have no idea how Honma got this much forgiveness out of a iron with such a small footprint but they passed with flying colors. They are every bit as forgiving as my Ping G400's were but the turf interaction is so much better. They are so easy to play around the green. The 11 iron is money.

I need to get them bent a degree or two flat but these could remain in my bag for quite some time. They are everything I've always wanted in a iron. Bag appeal and a boatload of performance in a neat little package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Well, I am not sure I am going to play it. I am testing an Edison 51 gap wedge at that spot against the incumbent New Level Type M 50 degree, which is a lower bounce option built with an s300 8 iron shaft trim and has performed very well. If either of those sticks, you can have first right of refusal on the TR20-V 11 head if you have not already found one (and you still want it.) I won’t let it sit around. I am solid on my Edel SMS T grind wedge at 54. Had a great season with that club. It got me in tight for a noticeable uptick in birdies. 

I am settling on some combo of TW-X (4,5), TR20P (6-8) and V (9-10, undecided on 11.) The head size and playability in that lineup suits me. I’m impressed by the Honma irons. Compare any of those three irons to irons of similar construction, the Honmas are real contenders. 

I may have to reshaft to make it work. I like the feel of the stock Vizard 85 in the TW-X but I’ve tested exhaustively and I need heavier. Have been pleased with a test 6 iron built with a Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic 110 (reg flex, they are stable.) The P’s have Project X Rifle 5.5’s in them and I could just leave those and do the Paderson in the long irons. I have no problem mixing shafts in a set, I pay attention mainly to weight. 

Thanks....Let me know...I am deff. interested in the head.....Send me a message if you decide what you want to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...