2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Honma TW-X Irons

jbhawx

I bought a 5-11 set with Modus 105s from ProClubs last spring.  Best golf decision I ever made.  I love the feel and distance gains.  Hit some occasional flyers, but have also been saved on some mishits too due to their incredible forgiveness.   I thought about buying a second set in early November.  Wish now that I had.  Out of curiosity, what current Honma irons have others tried that are comparable? 

Oh my god. These irons are stupid.. The nicest irons ever made. Butter soft feel, forgiving, and loooooong. Im a 5Hcp but could use the extra help if I’m not playing regularly. I hit one with the 5i that I’m sure I topped, I mean I felt the middle of the ball up the shaft- and this thing knuckleballed up in the air out about 190 yards. I just giggled and said Ooook. Had to get the sweet hat to go with the new gear.. My SUB70 659’s might be in trouble now. 

6ECD0A23-3281-4051-87AD-EE754096443E.jpeg

Edited by GolfingLefty18
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, pdxhak said:

Nice hat. I'm looking to buy a beanie for the winter rounds. Good to see the TW-X getting more love! They are such an underrated set of sticks!

I definitely got some looks walking up to the driving range with the hat on, then they would look directly at my bag to see what I was carrying. 

18 hours ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Oh my god. These irons are stupid.. The nicest irons ever made. Butter soft feel, forgiving, and loooooong. Im a 5Hcp but could use the extra help if I’m not playing regularly. I hit one with the 5i that I’m sure I topped, I mean I felt the middle of the ball up the shaft- and this thing knuckleballed up in the air out about 190 yards. I just giggled and said Ooook. Had to get the sweet hat to go with the new gear.. My SUB70 659’s might be in trouble now. 

6ECD0A23-3281-4051-87AD-EE754096443E.jpeg

After having a few rounds under my belt with the Honma's I got late fall I would concur with your assessment. Best $400 I've ever spent.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

23 hours ago, ottojjazz said:

I bought a 5-11 set with Modus 105s from ProClubs last spring.  Best golf decision I ever made.  I love the feel and distance gains.  Hit some occasional flyers, but have also been saved on some mishits too due to their incredible forgiveness.   I thought about buying a second set in early November.  Wish now that I had.  Out of curiosity, what current Honma irons have others tried that are comparable? 

Nothing made the same way but they do have one that is comparable. The newer TR21-X is supposed to be its replacement, but it is not forged like the TW-X. The newer one is not better IMO. I think Honma spent a lot of money to manufacturer an assembled iron of forged pieces that is the TW-X and sought to lower that cost in making the TR21-X. I would say the TW-X is a unique iron in the Honma lineup. 

In terms of feel, look at the TR20 lineup. The TR20P is one notch more in the direction of a players iron, still easy to hit, but it is not as long as the TW-X. The P is a thin face and does have a lot of power too, just not that extra gear. 

You can make quite a nice combo out of the TW-X and TR20P, even go to the true forged TR20V in the short irons. They all work well together. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

What tip diameter are these in case I want to swap out shafts? I got the Vizards in Reg, but may want a stiff. Have played S300’s which I love and KBS Tour 130x which might be too low & low spinning in my Sub70’s. Which shafts have people been finding success with in a little stouter shaft that doesn’t lose height and stopability? 

5 hours ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

What tip diameter are these in case I want to swap out shafts? I got the Vizards in Reg, but may want a stiff. Have played S300’s which I love and KBS Tour 130x which might be too low & low spinning in my Sub70’s. Which shafts have people been finding success with in a little stouter shaft that doesn’t lose height and stopability? 

I'm pretty sure they are .355 but don't take my word on it. Honma makes the Vizard shafts in house to very close tolerances. Personally the stock shafts would have to be virtually unplayable before I'd swap them out but that's just me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

18 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I'm pretty sure they are .355 but don't take my word on it. Honma makes the Vizard shafts in house to very close tolerances. Personally the stock shafts would have to be virtually unplayable before I'd swap them out but that's just me.

I had to buy these in Reg shaft because it’s the only lefty set I could find & they were a great deal. But I usually play XStiff - I see people playing with Modus 105, or MMTs - don’t think I’ve tried either. 

I have learned I have to play the butter cut with the softer shafts. These things are such missile launchers that hitting a 190 yard 7i that lands with a big hop isn’t practical. But the cut shot with these softer shafts is reliable everytime and lands like a pillow at 175-180. I may put something stiffer in later but it’s fun playing these shots and if I have to launch one to a 200yard par 3 I can go at it with a little draw. 

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 hour ago, pdxhak said:

If you want something for cheap I probably wouldnt post things to a forum with thousands of people on it until after I won it 😂

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

If you want something for cheap I probably wouldnt post things to a forum with thousands of people on it until after I won it 😂

haha true 😄

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 12/15/2022 at 3:31 PM, pdxhak said:

hmm that is a good question 🙂

If you like lighter shafts, the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH is what I play. They are a great combo.

TXG tested it with the modus 3 (prob X-stiff). High praise!

Nippon Modus 105 or 120 are the stock offerings, so Nippon would be a good start.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

On 12/18/2022 at 10:04 AM, sshadow2 said:

If you like lighter shafts, the Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH is what I play. They are a great combo.

TXG tested it with the modus 3 (prob X-stiff). High praise!

Nippon Modus 105 or 120 are the stock offerings, so Nippon would be a good start.

On 12/15/2022 at 12:31 PM, pdxhak said:

hmm that is a good question 🙂

I have a feeling that PDX will go with heavy graphite shafts

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve looked at these irons for quite sometime. I recently bought a 3-10 set of the TW-X heads of eBay. They’re in excellent condition. I had a set of Modus 120x (hard stepped) shafts laying around so I used those. 
Wow these irons are good. I can detect a very slight “click” at impact. Could even be the ball for all I know. If I was hitting outside I suspect I wouldn’t be able to pickup the click. The feel is nothing like other hollow irons. These feel incredible.

Strong ball flights and with a Srixon Diamond ball I’m still getting good spin.

33 minutes ago, ChadL said:

I’ve looked at these irons for quite sometime. I recently bought a 3-10 set of the TW-X heads of eBay. They’re in excellent condition. I had a set of Modus 120x (hard stepped) shafts laying around so I used those. 
Wow these irons are good. I can detect a very slight “click” at impact. Could even be the ball for all I know. If I was hitting outside I suspect I wouldn’t be able to pickup the click. The feel is nothing like other hollow irons. These feel incredible.

Strong ball flights and with a Srixon Diamond ball I’m still getting good spin.

They are louder inside. They sound and feel great outside. They feel like you really compressed the golf ball and it launched. I have played them

with Snell balls and ChromeSoft X and it’s very satisfying. I do not believe there is another iron like these, from design to the forged construction to performance. And they are consistent. Can play a full set with confidence or the easy-launching long irons can be paired with the TR20P or V, both of which are great and they all look similar from address. The TR20V scoring irons are dart throwers.

It is a home run lineup — from two years ago! Honma really deserves more love in the US. Their irons are top notch performers. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Love these irons! I got 6 rounds in with them before the season ended. Nicest irons I've owned and I've owned a bunch. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a set of these, with the Vizard 85 stiff shafts.  Proclubs is still selling them (new) for $435, 4-PW.   Beautiful clubs.  I have mostly avoided the techy, jacked clubs like these, but these hide the tech really well.  Short blade length, reasonably thin top line and low to moderate progressive offset.  Haven't hit them yet.  Hoping to hit the range this afternoon.  I have a set of Modus 105 pulls that will go in these if I don't get along with the Vizards.

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

1 hour ago, DaveGoodrich said:

Just picked up a set of these, with the Vizard 85 stiff shafts.  Proclubs is still selling them (new) for $435, 4-PW.   Beautiful clubs.  I have mostly avoided the techy, jacked clubs like these, but these hide the tech really well.  Short blade length, reasonably thin top line and low to moderate progressive offset.  Haven't hit them yet.  Hoping to hit the range this afternoon.  I have a set of Modus 105 pulls that will go in these if I don't get along with the Vizards.

Congrats on getting a incredible set of irons.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Played these yesterday.  Didn't have a great ball striking day - hit a lot thin and out towards the toe.  I'm reserving judgement on the heads because my ball striking can come and go... But the poor ball striking may be because of the 85g shafts.  I've never gotten along with any shafts that are this light.  I'll give them at least one more try, but I'll probably swap a Modus 105 into a mid-iron to see if that improves things.  I know I get along with that shaft.  

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

58 minutes ago, DaveGoodrich said:

Played these yesterday.  Didn't have a great ball striking day - hit a lot thin and out towards the toe.  I'm reserving judgement on the heads because my ball striking can come and go... But the poor ball striking may be because of the 85g shafts.  I've never gotten along with any shafts that are this light.  I'll give them at least one more try, but I'll probably swap a Modus 105 into a mid-iron to see if that improves things.  I know I get along with that shaft.  

It took me about 4 or 5 rounds to get used to the shafts also. Now I love them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2023 at 3:43 PM, DaveGoodrich said:

Heads are fine ... it's the shaft.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Well I may be moving back into the TR20P's again. Found a pretty nice deal on a 6-11 set and have some Modus 115's on the way to put in them.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Well I may be moving back into the TR20P's again. Found a pretty nice deal on a 6-11 set and have some Modus 115's on the way to put in them.

currently gaming TR20P.  Though it is good and forgiving iron set, the biggest gripe is distance inconsistency.  Thus, I am considering TW757VX iron set (one piece forged irons).