Best Course Not to Have Hosted a Major

JD3

> @JD3 said:

> IMO that honor goes to Friar's Head on Long Island. Although I've played somewhat more enjoyable courses (Fishers Island comes to mind), in terms of having "major standard" in the modern era (i.e. length, difficulty, fair test), I have to go with Friars Head.

>

> Note: because I don't have time to research it all, I am excluding this to men's events.

I love Friars, but the location and infrastructure would make it impossible. Shinnecock has a train stop straight across, and is easily accessible from Sunrise Highway while Friars is isolated up there on Sound Ave which from May to October is a traffic disaster in itself with all the vineyards and so on. As far as amenities, the practice facility alone is tour standard already.

• Like 1

> @imakaveli said:

> Gleneagles King's, Royal Dornoch, Southerness

Gleneagles Kings is a lovely course (and my father's favorite), but it is way too short for the modern game. Likewise, Cypress Point and a bunch of others on 15th's list. Now, if equipment were dialed back....

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

If we're purely talking about courses that could actually host a major:

National Golf Links

Aronimink (Hosting the 2027 PGA)

Philadelphia Cricket Club

Yeamens Hall (If they added 300 yards)

There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Imak has already mentioned one of these, Southerness on the south west coast of Scotland, and directly across the Solway Firth in England is Silloth.

Both fabulous, and highly regarded links courses. Southerness has an impressive list of Amateur Championships to its credit, Silloth also.

They both suffer from the same problem. Forget the lack of length, they will test anyone, they are both too far off the beaten track and lacking in infrastructure.

https://southernessgolfclub.com

https://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @exit47 said:

> I cant believe the PGA granted Whistling Straits with the Ryder Cup. There is literally nothing up there except the golf course. Milwaukee an hour away for any decent hotel, restaurants, nightlife, etc.............

3 of the larger metropolitan areas in the state of Wisconsin are 1 hour away, there's 15-20 brand name hotels in Sheboygan, one of the best private courses in the state just down the road in Sheboygan, and the infrastructure to support an event such as the Ryder Cup in the way of land, parking, accommodations, and everything else you need for an event.

There's a lot more in the area than "just the golf course". You are also 60 miles from Erin Hills, 140 from Sand Valley, etc., etc..

> @nichho said:

> Imak has already mentioned one of these, Southerness on the south west coast of Scotland, and directly across the Solway Firth in England is Silloth.

> Both fabulous, and highly regarded links courses. Southerness has an impressive list of Amateur Championships to its credit, Silloth also.

> They both suffer from the same problem. Forget the lack of length, they will test anyone, they are both too far off the beaten track and lacking in infrastructure.

>

> https://southernessgolfclub.com

>

> https://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk

They look gorgeous.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @nichho said:

> > Imak has already mentioned one of these, Southerness on the south west coast of Scotland, and directly across the Solway Firth in England is Silloth.

> > Both fabulous, and highly regarded links courses. Southerness has an impressive list of Amateur Championships to its credit, Silloth also.

> > They both suffer from the same problem. Forget the lack of length, they will test anyone, they are both too far off the beaten track and lacking in infrastructure.

> >

> > https://southernessgolfclub.com

> >

> > https://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk

>

> They look gorgeous.

They are nice but absolute terrors to play.

Southerness has a Par of 69, two par 5's and eight par 4's over 400 yards long, most of them requiring a carry over gorse and heather of 200 yards.

Silloth has rough that can swallow an elephant and when the wind is blowing off the Irish Sea it can become unplayable for all but the very best.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @Caddykev said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > IMO that honor goes to Friar's Head on Long Island. Although I've played somewhat more enjoyable courses (Fishers Island comes to mind), in terms of having "major standard" in the modern era (i.e. length, difficulty, fair test), I have to go with Friars Head.

> >

> > Note: because I don't have time to research it all, I am excluding this to men's events.

> I love Friars, but the location and infrastructure would make it impossible. Shinnecock has a train stop straight across, and is easily accessible from Sunrise Highway while Friars is isolated up there on Sound Ave which from May to October is a traffic disaster in itself with all the vineyards and so on. As far as amenities, the practice facility alone is tour standard already.

>

>

idk, they seem to manage fitting these tournaments into plenty of locations that were never meant to handle it. they use buses and common parking areas away from the course, etc

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @smashdn said:

> Butler National?

I came here to say Butler as well. They'll likely never change their membership policies so I don't expect the USGA or PGA to give them the time of day, especially since the membership has made it clear they have zero interest in hosting if it means allowing women to join. That said, the course could host a US Open tomorrow.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Drudersh said:

> If we're purely talking about courses that could actually host a major:

>

> National Golf Links

> Aronimink (Hosting the 2027 PGA)

> Philadelphia Cricket Club

> Yeamens Hall (If they added 300 yards)

>

> There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

Pine valley is considered by some the best course in the world. Has been atop of most lists with Augusta. So unless your car gets you to Georgia in 45 minutes that might be the worst comment I’ve ever seen on wrx

> @tmac7592 said:

> > @Drudersh said:

> > If we're purely talking about courses that could actually host a major:

> >

> > National Golf Links

> > Aronimink (Hosting the 2027 PGA)

> > Philadelphia Cricket Club

> > Yeamens Hall (If they added 300 yards)

> >

> > There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

> Pine valley is considered by some the best course in the world. Has been atop of most lists with Augusta. So unless your car gets you to Georgia in 45 minutes that might be the worst comment I’ve ever seen on wrx

I cant speak to it's difficulty as Ive not played it, but those I know that have are not blown away by it either (like they are by National Golf Links, Shinnecock, Merion, etc).

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @Hankshank said:

> I suppose corses like Royal County Down and Pine Valley dont have the infrastructure nor are the members interested in hosting such a big event. From the courses on the regular rotations on the Big Tours, though, have PGA National hosted a Major? Muirfield Village? Kingsbarns?

PGA National hosted the 87(?) PGA Championship won by Larry Nelson. It sucked. Mid 90s everyday during the event and the greens were dirt that was painted. They got hit by pythium pretty hard and the repairs didn’t do well once it was time to mow them down for the championship.

> @tmac7592 said:

> > @Drudersh said:

> >

> > National Golf Links

> >

> > There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

> Pine valley is considered by some the best course in the world. Has been atop of most lists with Augusta. So unless your car gets you to Georgia in 45 minutes that might be the worst comment I’ve ever seen on wrx

He is not the only one that thinks Pine Valley is not the best course in the Philly area.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

> @JD3 said:

> > @tmac7592 said:

> > > @Drudersh said:

> > > If we're purely talking about courses that could actually host a major:

> > >

> > > National Golf Links

> > > Aronimink (Hosting the 2027 PGA)

> > > Philadelphia Cricket Club

> > > Yeamens Hall (If they added 300 yards)

> > >

> > > There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

> > Pine valley is considered by some the best course in the world. Has been atop of most lists with Augusta. So unless your car gets you to Georgia in 45 minutes that might be the worst comment I’ve ever seen on wrx

>

> I cant speak to it's difficulty as Ive not played it, but those I know that have are not blown away by it either (like they are by National Golf Links, Shinnecock, Merion, etc).

Only anecdotal but the two people I’ve met who have played Pine Valley had similar responses. Great course, great experience but not the best in the world.

> @tmac7592 said:

> > @Drudersh said:

> >

> > National Golf Links

> >

Some people think cucumbers taste better than pickles. Having played PV I can tell you it certainly lives up to it's reputation of being a stern test of golf, but I am of the opinion that from a design standpoint there are better courses out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course and certainly one of the best in the country. Holes 13 thru 16 might be the best 4 hole stretch I've played, but in my opinion there are better courses out there start to finish.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

> @Drudersh said:

> > @tmac7592 said:

> > > @Drudersh said:

> > > If we're purely talking about courses that could actually host a major:

> > >

> > > National Golf Links

> > > Aronimink (Hosting the 2027 PGA)

> > > Philadelphia Cricket Club

> > > Yeamens Hall (If they added 300 yards)

> > >

> > > There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

> > Pine valley is considered by some the best course in the world. Has been atop of most lists with Augusta. So unless your car gets you to Georgia in 45 minutes that might be the worst comment I’ve ever seen on wrx

>

> Some people think cucumbers taste better than pickles. Having played PV I can tell you it certainly lives up to it's reputation of being a stern test of golf, but I am of the opinion that from a design standpoint there are better courses out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course and certainly one of the best in the country. Holes 13 thru 16 might be the best 4 hole stretch I've played, but in my opinion there are better courses out there start to finish.

theres a difference between "hard" and "enjoyable". Metedeconk (not far from PV) is hard and boring. Fishers isnt that hard, but it's a lot more imaginative and enjoyable to play

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Royal Melbourne tops the list. Followed by Pine Valley, Cypress Point and Muirfield Village in the U.S.

Sunningdale (Old), St Mellion (Nicklaus), and the Hotchkin Course at Woodhall Spa in England.

Ballybunion, Royal County Down and Portmarnock also merit a mention for Ireland.

A couple of low ballers (literally): The Balcomie Links at Crail, Scotland, and Lofoten Links in Nordland, Norway. Wind blowing? Both would make fantastic viewing.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I just noticed that someone posted Silloth on Solway as a suggestion. Well done, that man. Our old club pro was formerly the pro at Silloth and a few of us made the trek up there for a knock on his recommendation. Fantastic course. True links of the very higest order. It's in the middle of nowhere, so it's a hard place to get to and stay at even if you're half-a-dozen in number and not fussy about the accommodation; so whilst it's a brilliant getaway, it's sadly got zero chance of hosting even a decent-sized professional tournament, let alone the Open.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

> @nichho said:

> Imak has already mentioned one of these, Southerness on the south west coast of Scotland, and directly across the Solway Firth in England is Silloth.

> Both fabulous, and highly regarded links courses. Southerness has an impressive list of Amateur Championships to its credit, Silloth also.

> They both suffer from the same problem. Forget the lack of length, they will test anyone, they are both too far off the beaten track and lacking in infrastructure.

>

> https://southernessgolfclub.com

>

> https://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk

Southerness par 69 with SSS of 73- brutal but enjoyable. I played when it was pretty windy and it was tough, not even off the tips. Course definitely makes up in other ways for its lack in length. Silloth similarly. I played the week before the amateur championships a few years ago and the fairways were cut narrow and the rough was knee high. Agree with the lack of infrastructure. Couldn't imagine thousands of people travelling through Silloth to get to the course.

> @JD3 said:

> > @Drudersh said:

> > > @tmac7592 said:

> > > > @Drudersh said:

> > > > If we're purely talking about courses that could actually host a major:

> > > >

> > > > National Golf Links

> > > > Aronimink (Hosting the 2027 PGA)

> > > > Philadelphia Cricket Club

> > > > Yeamens Hall (If they added 300 yards)

> > > >

> > > > There would be nowhere for spectators to stand at Pine Valley, off the fairway is nothing but dense pine barrens for the most part. Plus there are better courses within a 45 minutes drive.

> > > Pine valley is considered by some the best course in the world. Has been atop of most lists with Augusta. So unless your car gets you to Georgia in 45 minutes that might be the worst comment I’ve ever seen on wrx

> >

> > Some people think cucumbers taste better than pickles. Having played PV I can tell you it certainly lives up to it's reputation of being a stern test of golf, but I am of the opinion that from a design standpoint there are better courses out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a great course and certainly one of the best in the country. Holes 13 thru 16 might be the best 4 hole stretch I've played, but in my opinion there are better courses out there start to finish.

>

> theres a difference between "hard" and "enjoyable". Metedeconk (not far from PV) is hard and boring. Fishers isnt that hard, but it's a lot more imaginative and enjoyable to play

I'll agree with that point. Lancaster Country Club is a difficult course from all the way back but immensely enjoyable. Half an hour to the west is Stonewall Links where the Old Course is relentless start to finish and mentally exhausting to the point of being almost too difficult. Both great courses but Stonewall is just absolutely brutal from all the way back.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > Has anybody played Cal Club? I think it's pretty awesome.

>

> Yes, but it is not in the "majors" league.

Hmm. Interesting. I thought it was better/more interesting than Kiawah, Olympic, Torrey, Riv, Harding. Looked like it could be set up over 7400, and the greens could be brutal. But I'll take your word for it, because I don't think I've played most of the courses listed, that are evidently in the "majors" category, but nonetheless have never hosted one.