Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1 hour ago, Drivingrangehero said:

So the SF i110R , FC 115 F4 ss/x1, and Catalyst 100 6.0 ss/x1 are similar in flex or feel, just different in weight? 

I found the i95R to be similar to the Catalyst 80 6.0. I think the Catalyst had a bit more action (kick) threw the hitting zone.

Broadly speaking, yes on the conclusion.  Now, if I could do it over again, I would likely get the fc115 ss/x2 to bring the weight down just a bit more closer to the i110.  From a playability standpoint though, the fc115 ss/x1 matches up pretty closely to the i110 R.  The fc115 straight in was too much shaft for me.

The Catalyst 100 6.0 is a different beast.  I’d put that closer to the i95 R, definitely smoother with the Catalyst.  I actually just played a quick 9 with my son, and am loving the Catalyst 100 ss/x1 in the Apex 21.  Not high launchers, mind you.  I’d say mid launching, penetrating, and smooth.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 6/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, jus4kiks said:

I played 9 with the clubs today and they're amazing!  As the OP said, the profile and feel is extremely similar to the PX 6.5 /7.0 LZ I was playing.  My fitter got me to D2, liking them for now, I can tinker in the future with D3/4/5 etc.. if needed. 

Pretty stunned how good they are, they do not feel flimsy at all.  I feel like the hunt is over!  Thank you and everyone who posted, this info was incredibly helpful.  Only 1 round in but they felt great, loving the ball flight.  Now if I can heal my tricept tendinitis I am smooth sailing 🙂

Thank you again for the helpful posts.  WIll play some more rounds and circle back sometime to add any feedback to help others.  

Which did you go with? I’m currently playing PX 6.5 in my irons due to the mizuno shaft optimizer suggestion, even though I’m 80mph 7iron SS. I play graphite OG Hzrdus black 6.0 in all my woods and hybrids though. 

Thinking of trying the 6.0’s as I prefer 6.0 in everything else and read graphite will feel stiffer then steel even in a lighter weight. Hoping a little lighter club and flex might earn me some extra clubheax speed for distance 

Edited by scheibler

4 hours ago, scheibler said:

Which did you go with? I’m currently playing PX 6.5 in my irons due to the mizuno shaft optimizer suggestion, even though I’m 80mph 7iron SS. I play graphite OG Hzrdus black 6.0 in all my woods and hybrids though. 

Thinking of trying the 6.0’s as I prefer 6.0 in everything else and read graphite will feel stiffer then steel even in a lighter weight. Hoping a little lighter club and flex might earn me some extra clubheax speed for distance 

The Mizuno optimizer seems to like to put players in very stout shafts. With your 7 iron swing speed, you would fit into Catalyst 5.5, you are somewhat on the line for a 6.0. I would peg 6.0 for speeds at least 88mph or so. I have played it and it is solid, not soft. I typically go softer than what the optimizer recommends and it never has been a problem. 

The other factor, however, is if your tempo is fast and aggressive and your transition is quick, the optimizer read that and recommended an extra stiff. Still, I would say 6.0 in the catalyst 100 is reasonable — and try one shaft first before building a full set. That is a big weight drop in shafts from 125g to 100g — if it bothers you or throws you off, don’t give up too soon. Add some lead tape to the head. Sometimes a higher swing weight in a lighter shaft helps you with the adjustment because you still feel some heft. 

The good news is you may love it and you may pick up some speed. Depends on the player. The Catalyst does feel like a Project X shaft in terms of stability but it is also very smooth. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

The Mizuno optimizer seems to like to put players in very stout shafts. With your 7 iron swing speed, you would fit into Catalyst 5.5, you are somewhat on the line for a 6.0. I would peg 6.0 for speeds at least 88mph or so. I have played it and it is solid, not soft. I typically go softer than what the optimizer recommends and it never has been a problem. 

The other factor, however, is if your tempo is fast and aggressive and your transition is quick, the optimizer read that and recommended an extra stiff. Still, I would say 6.0 in the catalyst 100 is reasonable — and try one shaft first before building a full set. That is a big weight drop in shafts from 125g to 100g — if it bothers you or throws you off, don’t give up too soon. Add some lead tape to the head. Sometimes a higher swing weight in a lighter shaft helps you with the adjustment because you still feel some heft. 

The good news is you may love it and you may pick up some speed. Depends on the player. The Catalyst does feel like a Project X shaft in terms of stability but it is also very smooth. 

I have a John Daly backswing and definitely an aggressive transition. People always talk about how hard I swing, but the launch monitor says the opposite. I do hit my woods as far as guys hitting 1-2 clubs further in their irons, but don’t know my driver SS right now. I got fit into c taper lite s+ 110 hard stepped 1x on launch monitor for jpx 825 pros and an i25 w/ X-Flex Diamana D+ 70g on an indoor track man yrs ago, but didn’t like either on the course. PX 6.5 feel smoother to me then the c taper 110 though. I hit a recoil 110 X flex in a set of PXG irons at golf galaxy yesterday and it felt like a noodle compared to my px 6.5

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, scheibler said:

I have a John Daly backswing and definitely an aggressive transition. People always talk about how hard I swing, but the launch monitor says the opposite. I do hit my woods as far as guys hitting 1-2 clubs further in their irons, but don’t know my driver SS right now. I got fit into c taper lite s+ 110 hard stepped 1x on launch monitor for jpx 825 pros and an i25 w/ X-Flex Diamana D+ 70g on an indoor track man yrs ago, but didn’t like either on the course. PX 6.5 feel smoother to me then the c taper 110 though. I hit a recoil 110 X flex in a set of PXG irons at golf galaxy yesterday and it felt like a noodle compared to my px 6.5

First of all, find a good teaching pro who helps you stop swinging so hard and you will be better off and your ball speed and smash factor will go up. An 80 mph 7 iron and all these x flex shafts do not compute. Exertion does not equal distance. One drill, by the way, is to hit shots with staffs that feel too flexible to you so you sequence better. Recoils are nice shafts. They have more torque than some others and that is likely what you are feeling, and because of that they fall into the category of shafts that you need time to adjust to. I’ve seen them in action enough with many skilled players that I know they perform well but hey, that feel is not for everyone. A lot of PX players who go graphite prefer Steelfibers or KBS TGI or Catalyst or MMT TX flex. 

From what you describe, Catalyst 6.5 may very well be what works. The outlier in your past fittings is the C Taper Lite 110 hsX1, which is stiff but not nearly as stiff as PX 6.5. Would be great if you can demo before you buy. The MMT 105TX might be good for you too. It is heavier than 105 but still 10-plus grams lighter than PX 6.5. The answer for you isn’t real simple and you can take a shot at it, but you might not be happy. Better to try them out. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, scheibler said:

On 6/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, scheibler said:

Sorry just seeing this.  I am using the Catalyst 6.5 100g shafts and like them very much.  It is tough to say which would be good for you, I was playing the 6.5 PX shafts and I feel like the 6.5 Catalysts are definitely not any stiffer.  There was no transition period switching to them from steel for me.  

The 6.5 is very stable, if you game the 6.5 PX shafts and like them - Then I would suggest the 6.5 shafts.

The Hzrdus black 6.0 is nothing like these.  I've tried to game that in many of woods/hybrids but its much too soft for me to swing at it.  I swing 7i around 95.  But my buddy has MTT 125TX iron shafts and swings around 80 or so, just depends on the player.  If you get along with PX 6.5 steel I would go with the 6.5 Catalyst - they do not feel stiffer than those, I can guarantee that.   They're stable throughout - very similar to those shafts as the OP stated, I find little if any difference.  The 100g vs 125g should give you a bit more speed. 

I have gamed the Recoil 125g F5 iron shafts, they're nice they feel good but to me those are similar to the Hzrdus black 6.0, just too much whip at the bottom, not stable enough.  I played Modus 120x shafts, those were really good but just not quite stable enough either.  PX 6.5 and 7.0s were point and shoot for me, I did enjoy the heavier shafts but my tendonitis couldn't handle them... Switched to these, no transition, great shafts - play almost the exact same.  Love em. 

My elbow and arms are healing rapidly, its nice to be back to graphite..

Edited by jus4kiks
To put the reply quote above my response
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jus4kiks said:

Sorry just seeing this.  I am using the Catalyst 6.5 100g shafts and like them very much.  It is tough to say which would be good for you, I was playing the 6.5 PX shafts and I feel like the 6.5 Catalysts are definitely not any stiffer.  There was no transition period switching to them from steel for me.  

The 6.5 is very stable, if you game the 6.5 PX shafts and like them - Then I would suggest the 6.5 shafts.

The Hzrdus black 6.0 is nothing like these.  I've tried to game that in many of woods/hybrids but its much too soft for me to swing at it.  I swing 7i around 95.  But my buddy has MTT 125TX iron shafts and swings around 80 or so, just depends on the player.  If you get along with PX 6.5 steel I would go with the 6.5 Catalyst - they do not feel stiffer than those, I can guarantee that.   They're stable throughout - very similar to those shafts as the OP stated, I find little if any difference.  The 100g vs 125g should give you a bit more speed. 

I have gamed the Recoil 125g F5 iron shafts, they're nice they feel good but to me those are similar to the Hzrdus black 6.0, just too much whip at the bottom, not stable enough.  I played Modus 120x shafts, those were really good but just not quite stable enough either.  PX 6.5 and 7.0s were point and shoot for me, I did enjoy the heavier shafts but my tendonitis couldn't handle them... Switched to these, no transition, great shafts - play almost the exact same.  Love em. 

My elbow and arms are healing rapidly, its nice to be back to graphite..

Thanks.  I currently play PX 6.0 in my irons and was thinking of switching to the Catalyst 100 6.0.  My main question is what to expect in the way of swingweight?  I'm not totally hung up on it but I didn't know if I would need tip weights to get close to what I have with the PX steel, don't want to go from like D3 to C9 or something like that.

13 hours ago, JoeHatesSnow said:

Thanks.  I currently play PX 6.0 in my irons and was thinking of switching to the Catalyst 100 6.0.  My main question is what to expect in the way of swingweight?  I'm not totally hung up on it but I didn't know if I would need tip weights to get close to what I have with the PX steel, don't want to go from like D3 to C9 or something like that.

Yes the 6.0 100 would be good.  I have a guy that does mine, I don’t build my own but he has me playing at D2.  I know he has all the tip weights necessary I am not sure what he used in mine.  I believe the OP spoke on this in his review or one is the earlier posters did.  I can ask him if no one else chimes in.  

I have them in my wedges as well playing D2.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, JoeHatesSnow said:

You could try reshafting one club in the middle of your set first. If your shaft weight is changing by 20-25 grams you might be able to get the swing weight right with something as simple as a lighter grip. 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to come back in and post an update, as my initial impression of the Catalyst 100 was a little off.  I initially had a set of Callaway Apex 21 with Catalyst 100 6.0 soft-stepped once, and I underestimated the stiffness.  They were playable, but over the course of a couple of weeks, they turned out to be a bit too stiff and low-launching.  So I returned the set to Callaway.

I ended up ordering the same exact set, but with the Catalyst 100 6.0 soft-stepped twice.  Now, these seem to fit me much better and are more in my wheelhouse.  I am no expert, but if I had to guess, the ss1x was like a 5.8 which is still pretty stiff, while the ss2x is more like a 5.5 which is much easier for us mere mortals to load.  YMMV. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 6:42 PM, SwooshLT said:

So after a 2 week delay in delivery,  my shafts finally arrived...... had the 5i and 8i shafted up and hit a handful of shots.....very , very stable..... more to come

80cw 5.5 feels and plays exactly like 5.5 115 std px except 30g lighter......still the high , flat penetrating flight just easier to swing for this old guy. Doesn't disrupt tempo like recoil.  A few pics ......20221027_144836.jpg.e403717cefd3eff70bfffbc4ef19a7f6.jpg20221030_192355.jpg.9706230831050f3f4be2581118f41b9f.jpg20221030_192519.jpg.aa1f270fa09196726e5e34539df859f3.jpg20221030_205542.jpg.514b52d84ac6cab6efe9d40d19a784ba.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, SwooshLT said:

So I grabbed a set of 5.5 80s off ebay @dmeeksDC still using these shafts? 

Don’t know how I missed this. Congrats on the shafts. They’re so good.

Currently I am playing steel again but I did install a Catalyst 80 stiff in my Mav Pro 23 hybrid, replacing lighter stock shaft. It is much more stout and perfect for what I want, which is a stable feeling hybrid. Swing weight is heavy, also a plus with a hybrid. 

I was shopping for Catalyst 100 6.0s when I had a set of Wishons built, but could not find them in stock. So went with Fuji Pro 95 Tour Spec, also an excellent shaft.

I wish True Temper would make a Catalyst 5.5, but in the same 100g weight as the 6.0. Currently to match close to that I’d need to double soft-step the 6.0. The Catalyst 100 6.0 is pretty stiff, stiffer than the heavier Project X io 5.5 in steel, I’d say, which I guess is how it should be. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Don’t know how I missed this. Congrats on the shafts. They’re so good.

Currently I am playing steel again but I did install a Catalyst 80 stiff in my Mav Pro 23 hybrid, replacing lighter stock shaft. It is much more stout and perfect for what I want, which is a stable feeling hybrid. Swing weight is heavy, also a plus with a hybrid. 

I was shopping for Catalyst 100 6.0s when I had a set of Wishons built, but could not find them in stock. So went with Fuji Pro 95 Tour Spec, also an excellent shaft.

I wish True Temper would make a Catalyst 5.5, but in the same 100g weight as the 6.0. Currently to match close to that I’d need to double soft-step the 6.0. The Catalyst 100 6.0 is pretty stiff, stiffer than the heavier Project X io 5.5 in steel, I’d say, which I guess is how it should be. 

Found on ebay, shafttechnologies.......I think at a very nice price of 24 per shaft plus tx n shipping.......

I've only put 2 together,  8i and 5i but the few swings I've made are incredible.  Truly surprised at an 85g shaft that plays heavier for some reason.....but the caveat is they're extremely easy to swing. I'm playing in the morning so I'll give more feedback. 

• Like 1

Hmm crazy how this shaft seems to go under the radar. I finally made the switch to graphite last year in the SF i110x cw and absolutely love them. How does the Catalyst swingweight? The steelfibers are so counterbalanced its crazy, even with an overlength build i still end up adding head weight. I have another set of heads coming my way and want to experiment with another graphite shaft. Tried the mmt 105tx already and its not for me. Dont like the squishy handle. 

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Hmm crazy how this shaft seems to go under the radar. I finally made the switch to graphite last year in the SF i110x cw and absolutely love them. How does the Catalyst swingweight? The steelfibers are so counterbalanced its crazy, even with an overlength build i still end up adding head weight. I have another set of heads coming my way and want to experiment with another graphite shaft. Tried the mmt 105tx already and its not for me. Dont like the squishy handle. 

I got same numbers as the steel 1/2" over they're replacing......I have them at 3/4" right now over

38 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Pretty balanced? Not low or high?

They’re not like the Steelfiber 110. That model in particular swing weights low, even compared to the Steelfiber 95. Catalyst will be close to steel shafts in swing weight. 

• Thanks 1

Jury still out on these for my swing.....

When hit and swung well they're gems .....couldn't seem to hit part shots and also ballooned a smidge into the fan..... I only have 5 iron and 8 iron shafted up but feel is amazing and stability is very nice especially when struck properly.....

Part of my issues are that they're 20g lighter than current shaft wgt and I believe tempo has to be better. 

I'm sure these fit me and will get them done asap

4 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Jury still out on these for my swing.....

When hit and swung well they're gems .....couldn't seem to hit part shots and also ballooned a smidge into the fan..... I only have 5 iron and 8 iron shafted up but feel is amazing and stability is very nice especially when struck properly.....

Part of my issues are that they're 20g lighter than current shaft wgt and I believe tempo has to be better. 

I'm sure these fit me and will get them done asap

That is always my conundrum when I go lighter. I have Catalyst 100 6.0 ss2x. I have SF i95. They can work for me, but when it goes south, it is pulls. Any lighter than 95g for me, and I really struggle.

When I go back to my SF i110, that tempo goes right back to getting better. I'd like to go lighter, but my game kind of pulls me back heavier. At least there are still very good graphite options 105g and higher. Good luck--sure you'll get it sorted out.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

That is always my conundrum when I go lighter. I have Catalyst 100 6.0 ss2x. I have SF i95. They can work for me, but when it goes south, it is pulls. Any lighter than 95g for me, and I really struggle.

When I go back to my SF i110, that tempo goes right back to getting better. I'd like to go lighter, but my game kind of pulls me back heavier. At least there are still very good graphite options 105g and higher. Good luck--sure you'll get it sorted out.

Thanks for understanding my situation.....any suggestions for heavier possibilities that don't play entirely too stiff.....I'm in 5.5 ssx1 which fits perfectly for control......almost like I need 5.0 but in 100+ wgt......ugh

FWIW it took me about 2 rounds to fully get used to the 80g 6.0 Catalyst.  However, I was coming from xp95 so it wasn't that big of a change in weight and I have close to the same swing weight as before.

I really like this shaft.  I would predict that SwooshLT will get used to it fairly quick.

• Thanks 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

24 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

FWIW it took me about 2 rounds to fully get used to the 80g 6.0 Catalyst.  However, I was coming from xp95 so it wasn't that big of a change in weight and I have close to the same swing weight as before.

I really like this shaft.  I would predict that SwooshLT will get used to it fairly quick.

Actually went out and made a few swings with 5i.....and it almost became a swing trainer in a sense....... having to put the club in proper positions and proper sequence.  Getting whole set completed tomorrow! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Thanks for understanding my situation.....any suggestions for heavier possibilities that don't play entirely too stiff.....I'm in 5.5 ssx1 which fits perfectly for control......almost like I need 5.0 but in 100+ wgt......ugh

Tough to say for sure. My Catalyst 100 6.0 ssx2 feel like a 5.5. Not sure how many times you can soft step. UST Recoil 95 F3 feels very smooth-I like those as well. I love the SF i95, but even in R flex, those are stout. Maybe KBS TGI/PGI in the 90g range might work. Aldila NV 95 is not an overly stiff shaft.

31 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Tough to say for sure. My Catalyst 100 6.0 ssx2 feel like a 5.5. Not sure how many times you can soft step. UST Recoil 95 F3 feels very smooth-I like those as well. I love the SF i95, but even in R flex, those are stout. Maybe KBS TGI/PGI in the 90g range might work. Aldila NV 95 is not an overly stiff shaft.

Nah , gonna stick it out with these.....recoil felt softer but again I didn't hit in right weight category.....thanks for the suggestions however.....the complete set is getting done as we speak and found with me staying connected Ala Billy horschel or Tony Finau the profile actually does fit my swing ......like steel , these want to be aggressively swung through the ball. Update ASAP 

• Like 1

@SwooshLT if the catalyst don't work for you you could try the TGI in 100 or maybe LAGP A series low (stiff are ~100 grams, X are ~105 grams). People say that TGI play stiff but I haven't found that to be the case for me. I've played with a TGI 100 in a 4 utility and it felt like a soft to standard stiff compared to a lot of similar steel shafts. They're mid and tip stiff but softer handle like Project X so that might be the first alternative. LAGP A series is a different profile and higher balance point. Stiff handle and tip, softer mid. Build up a single 7 iron and see how they go.

Personally I'd love to try to Cataylst 100 6.0 but it sounds like Project X may have discontinued them. Don't quote me on that but I've heard elsewhere, and they've become very hard to find. If they are being discontinued then I hope they are working on a replacement/refresh because the sweet spots for graphite right now seem to be sub 90 grams and soft, and ~120 gram DG replacements. Not much in the 95-115 gram range which is really the sweet spot weight for most recreational golfers.

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport