ProjectX Catalyst 100 graphite iron shaft review-Pretty impressive shaft

mogc60

3 hours ago, PNW said:

@SwooshLT if the catalyst don't work for you you could try the TGI in 100 or maybe LAGP A series low (stiff are ~100 grams, X are ~105 grams). People say that TGI play stiff but I haven't found that to be the case for me. I've played with a TGI 100 in a 4 utility and it felt like a soft to standard stiff compared to a lot of similar steel shafts. They're mid and tip stiff but softer handle like Project X so that might be the first alternative. LAGP A series is a different profile and higher balance point. Stiff handle and tip, softer mid. Build up a single 7 iron and see how they go.

Personally I'd love to try to Cataylst 100 6.0 but it sounds like Project X may have discontinued them. Don't quote me on that but I've heard elsewhere, and they've become very hard to find. If they are being discontinued then I hope they are working on a replacement/refresh because the sweet spots for graphite right now seem to be sub 90 grams and soft, and ~120 gram DG replacements. Not much in the 95-115 gram range which is really the sweet spot weight for most recreational golfers.

Thanks bud and yes it looks as though they couldn't touch sales of steelfiber or mmt and are farming out shafts.....don't know if you read my above statement but I got these for sub 200 on an 8pc set. Now honestly these might have saved my golf game......weight reduction but stability is what I needed for better iron play especially in the longer irons. After 30 strikes now , I'm getting really comfortable and excited to get back on course with full set of irons . 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Thanks bud and yes it looks as though they couldn't touch sales of steelfiber or mmt and are farming out shafts.....don't know if you read my above statement but I got these for sub 200 on an 8pc set. Now honestly these might have saved my golf game......weight reduction but stability is what I needed for better iron play especially in the longer irons. After 30 strikes now , I'm getting really comfortable and excited to get back on course with full set of irons . 

sub 200 on that set is a steal! I definitely would have snagged that up for myself. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

Thanks to this thread and a bunch of you I just switched to catalyst 100 6.5s +1" d5.5. Played X100 and 120 X100 (similar swing weights/overlength) a lot prior and really liked them. Also tested steel 6.5s a while ago but didnt like the feel despite the performance being slightly better than x1s. Mainly wanted to switch because playing over length with heavy shafts was getting old. Also used shafttechnolgies for a great deal since these are getting hard to find. Someone commented on golfworks that these are discontinued but I have to imagine a new graphite option is coming from project x.

Picked them up from the shop today, had a quick 30 minute range session and teed off. Felt adjusted and confident right away. I wanted a slightly stiffer shaft and I think they are. They fought through the wind better too.

I went 4-PW straight in, another pw shaft in my AW, then soft stepped 9 iron shaft in my SW and 8 iron shaft in my LW. Wasn't sure I would like them in my wedges but so far I do. If the 6.0s were available I would have gone that route but the soft stepping seems to be good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

4 hours ago, enfuego said:

Thanks to this thread and a bunch of you I just switched to catalyst 100 6.5s +1" d5.5. Played X100 and 120 X100 (similar swing weights/overlength) a lot prior and really liked them. Also tested steel 6.5s a while ago but didnt like the feel despite the performance being slightly better than x1s. Mainly wanted to switch because playing over length with heavy shafts was getting old. Also used shafttechnolgies for a great deal since these are getting hard to find. Someone commented on golfworks that these are discontinued but I have to imagine a new graphite option is coming from project x.

Picked them up from the shop today, had a quick 30 minute range session and teed off. Felt adjusted and confident right away. I wanted a slightly stiffer shaft and I think they are. They fought through the wind better too.

I went 4-PW straight in, another pw shaft in my AW, then soft stepped 9 iron shaft in my SW and 8 iron shaft in my LW. Wasn't sure I would like them in my wedges but so far I do. If the 6.0s were available I would have gone that route but the soft stepping seems to be good enough.

Is that D5.5 what you came to naturally with +1”? Regular grip or midsize?

8 hours ago, enfuego said:

Keep us posted on how they play. I sure hope they are not discontinued. They remain on the True Temper site as usual so perhaps nothing to worry about. I can see TT expanding or tweaking the Catalyst options but cannot imagine they would discontinue such a great shaft that is a little different from other graphites with its low torque and still having great feel. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

5 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Is that D5.5 what you came to naturally with +1”? Regular grip or midsize?

Cross line mid size grips at 62g. Also I'm in p760 heads, the mpf weight says 258.7g but my 6 iron head was 263g.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Keep us posted on how they play. I sure hope they are not discontinued. They remain on the True Temper site as usual so perhaps nothing to worry about. I can see TT expanding or tweaking the Catalyst options but cannot imagine they would discontinue such a great shaft that is a little different from other graphites with its low torque and still having great feel. 

The same thing happened in 2021 when true temper was switching the DG 120 graphics. No one could order them while they switched and it took 6ish months I want to say. I would bet a new catalyst or graphite gets released but they stopped producing the current line. Maybe PGA show coming up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 6:56 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Only the 100CW is listed on the spec sheet now. 

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/catalyst.html#

Callaway isn't offering them as a custom shaft option for the ST Pro. 

3 hours ago, brick101 said:

Only the 100CW is listed on the spec sheet now. 

https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/catalyst.html#

Callaway isn't offering them as a custom shaft option for the ST Pro. 

Not true, I have them in mine from the factory. Had to pay a upgrade fee which is odd as in some heads it is not a charge, the TCB head was not upcharged for the Catalyst and the new BIg Bertha is not, but they have plenty of fat in those prices to cover the $15 shaft.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Seems like the easiest way to try these shafts is to grab a used set from Callaway Pre-Owned and enjoy the steep winter discounts they've been offering lately. The other day it was 30% of everything which brought a lot of iron sets down into a very affordable range. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 12/1/2022 at 3:07 AM, Jim53 said:

Not true, I have them in mine from the factory. Had to pay a upgrade fee which is odd as in some heads it is not a charge, the TCB head was not upcharged for the Catalyst and the new BIg Bertha is not, but they have plenty of fat in those prices to cover the $15 shaft.

I purchased one from the factory last month but yesterday it was removed when I tried to build the club.

Edit: I learned for this shaft the CW = constant weight, not counter weight.  So the 100g shaft is still listed on the True Temper site. Hopefully they keep it around. 

Edited by brick101
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 12:05 PM, mogc60 said:

There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot on here about the PX Catalyst 100 iron shafts. I wanted to post my experience so far with these shafts. This will be kinda long but I want it to be thorough for the guys looking for something to alleviate some joint pain or looking for a lighter option in a tour profile shaft.

About me...Been playing golf for 30 years now. Started at 15, was playing national jr events at 17 and had a college scholarship at 18. Turned pro at 22 and was a club pro for 17 years. Solid ball striker, long but no bomber, good wedge game and strong putter who goes bucket boy when I get hot. I’ve been a solid player for a long time and due to some pains in The thumb, wrist and elbows have not played much the past 4-5 years. I’m trying to get my game back and have been tinkering with different shafts and weights to find something to help me practice without pain. I’ve hit every tour profile iron shaft made basically the past 30 years...I’m a true wrx’er when it comes to changing equipment. X100 and PX 6.5 have been my go to’s for a long time in between trying new stuff. I’ve tried other graphite’s and haven’t loved any of them but there are some great shafts out there for sure.

To the Catalyst 100’s...

Looks

Very nice looking ion plated shaft with nice clean graphics and the Catalyst writing is slightly raised and feels cool. They are more silver than the Recoil finish but not quite a chrome look. Still has that nice darkening look in the right light.

kiiytdjrfx75.jpeg

eahtgax3riou.jpeg

eruiarn2zag2.jpeg

Weight and swingweight

These are a constant weight 100 gram shaft. I have the 6.5 flex that I installed straight in at standard steel lengths. They are half inch intervals starting with a 36.5 pw shaft at raw length. The wedge and 9 iron shafts are different lengths, unlike most these days. I did not add any weight to my Cobra Mb/Cb iron heads and used 1/2” gaps and 1/4” between wedge and 9 iron. They came out at D2 swingweight and the balance of the club feels fantastic. Very similar to a lighter steel shaft like Pxi. I love lead tape so I figured if I need to add head weight I can do it anytime. But I may not need any they way these came out.

Performance

I’ve hit a few buckets with these now and my initial impression is I’m impressed. The overall weight is an adjustment, having less weight in the grip end coming from 125 gram steel shafts. But swinging the club feels very good with plenty of head weight and the balance feels great. I had to focus a bit more on my takeaway because it took much less effort to move the club away but once I hit a few it became more natural.

The feel of these shafts is best described as a crisp/flush. Not as soft as Recoils and similar to Steelfiber but in my opinion much better feedback. The closest I can compare to a steel shaft would be the Modus120 as far as feedback.

The ball flight is where you start to know it’s a Project X shaft. Nice mid flight, no ballooning and easy to move the ball down or hit it higher with little adjustments. My 80% stock shot with a little hold on for control produces the same piercing flight as the steel Project shafts. On fuller shots the ball flight is slightly higher however but with what seems to be lower spin. I’ve noticed no upshooting in the flight. It is very consistent on flighting the ball up and down. Something I’ve struggled with in trying other graphite. The dispersion on these shafts is the absolute best I have ever had with a graphite iron shaft and rivals any steel I have hit. Every shot I have hit I have watched the flight and the ball just doesn’t move much and is very easy to start on line. Whatever they have done with the tip technology for these is for real. It is a very very stable shaft through impact and they are very accurate. This shaft is not “soft” it’s strong and fits the 6.5 frequency. I am very happy with them so far and think I may have found a shaft that gives me the ballflight and feedback I want in a lower weight that will help alleviate some of the strain on my old beater parts. My wrist and thumb have felt great after hitting balls with no flare ups or pain. This is a good sign. The overall weight I think I can adjust to fine because they don’t feel light to swing and the balance during the swing feels similar to what I feel with steel but requires less effort. I’ve felt a huge difference at the top and transition. I don’t feel the discomfort in my wrist and thumb like I’ve felt which I think is just the lighter weight.

I would recommend the Catalyst 100 to anyone looking for a lighter weight option in a tour profile. If you have any questions on anything I will do my best to answer them on my experience with the build and performance. Cheers!

7bqse8arkeab.jpeg

jinchm8n9qpd.jpeg

c1ql5vfpmi2f.jpeg

Just bought Mavrik irons last night, with the Project X Catalyst 65g graphite shaft. I hit them 8 yards longer than the Rogues. I have suffered with golfer's elbow which decreased my distance. I'd hit my Titleist AP1 716 15 yards shorter than last night with the Mavriks. So, everything you posted about the Catalyst shafts appear to be dead on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My catalyst 80cw 5.5 ssx1 overlength experiment has changed into GETTING DIALED IN !!!!

These have been more accurate,  higher flying and much better feeling than previous steel shafts .....still need to confirm length, swingweight and lies but infinitely closer to being dialed than I ever thought with graphite. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

I almost pulled the trigger on 7 new for 170 bucks but i just cant get rid of my steelfibers. Will probably be in them til they fail.

From my understanding very similar results weight for weight.....steelfiber has far more heavy weight variety but catalyst performance is eerily similar......I don't have head to head 

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger on trying one. I play SF 110x in my 5-pw, thought trying a 6.5 100cw in my 4 iron and treating it like a driving iron seemed like a good idea and transition. So far seems stable, I like the finish. One weird thing i did not expect. Its a FAT shaft… like the ol wilson fat shafts. Not good or bad just noticed it compared to my SF. 

Edited by Red4282

3 hours ago, Red4282 said:

I pulled the trigger on trying one. I play SF 110x in my 5-pw, thought trying a 6.5 100cw in my 4 iron and treating it like a driving iron seemed like a good idea and transition. So far seems stable, I like the finish. One weird thing i did not expect. Its a FAT shaft… like the ol wilson fat shafts. Not good or bad just noticed it compared to my SF. 

I was just about to do the same, build a 4 iron with a 100cw 6.5. Do you think it plays fairly true to flex for standard PX shafts being a 6.5, or a touch softer with it being lighter? The EI curve profile I've seen on it makes it look softer in the handle and tip but quite mid stiff. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

36 minutes ago, PNW said:

I was just about to do the same, build a 4 iron with a 100cw 6.5. Do you think it plays fairly true to flex for standard PX shafts being a 6.5, or a touch softer with it being lighter? The EI curve profile I've seen on it makes it look softer in the handle and tip but quite mid stiff. 

Cant give a complete full assessment yet, i have it built but havent hit a ball yet. Got 4 inches of snow yesterday. Just swinging it in my garage, does not feel whippy or hingy at all. Stable and linear feel. Ill update once i get to hit some with it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PNW said:

Does not feel tip soft as the EI profile suggests. I would also say it plays true to flex. Have it in my 4 iron right now a considering pulling it because it doesn't spin quite enough, feels stiff and light for an iron shaft. Very solid feeling and should suit anyone that likes PX steel. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Ok, made it to the range and hit about a dozen balls with it in my 4 iron. Overall, I like it. Its a touch softer than the sf 110 flex for flex, but certainly stable and true to flex IMO. Ball flight and numbers were perfect. Did have some strike inconsistencies and i think its because it is a little lighter. Bumped up the swingweight by 1.5 and feels alot better. Would have no hesitation recommending them, or going full bag. Most importantly if you are dropping weight in the shaft, i recommend you add just a touch of swingweight. 

Ended on a decent one:

F1D761AE-9019-49BE-84C2-5BFDD40298E6.jpeg

I still really want to try a set of 6.5's in my old college MP15's , need to hawk ebay and see if any pop up that aren't mangled. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Been a pretty mild winter in NJ, so I've had the chance to get out on the course pretty regularly.  I've put my Apex '21 irons with Catalyst 100 6.0 (ss2x) in the bag a few times. Still really like these shafts. In terms of stiffness and profile, I think the 100 ss2x is pretty close to the Steelfibers in R flex. Though I would probably like a little more weight out of the Catalyst after the soft-stepping.  Mid ball flight.

I haven't checked recently, but in perusing around Callaway's site a few weeks ago, it looked like the Catalyst 100 was no longer a custom option on their irons. Perhaps a shortage.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

Been a pretty mild winter in NJ, so I've had the chance to get out on the course pretty regularly.  I've put my Apex '21 irons with Catalyst 100 6.0 (ss2x) in the bag a few times. Still really like these shafts. In terms of stiffness and profile, I think the 100 ss2x is pretty close to the Steelfibers in R flex. Though I would probably like a little more weight out of the Catalyst after the soft-stepping.  Mid ball flight.

I haven't checked recently, but in perusing around Callaway's site a few weeks ago, it looked like the Catalyst 100 was no longer a custom option on their irons. Perhaps a shortage.

I think they have been discontinued or production stopped

23 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Theres a seller that will offer a full set (4-p) of new for about 200 bucks. 

3 hours ago, Red4282 said:

I think they have been discontinued or production stopped

I bought my set of 80cw 5.5 in late Oct 3-pw for 192.00 plus tx and shipping......checked today and the price went UP to 320.00 

So maybe discontinued but unsure why the price hike

Edited by SwooshLT

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

I bought my set of 80cw 5.5 in late Oct 3-pw for 192.00 plus tx and shipping......checked today and the price went UP to 320.00 

Because they aren't made anymore and they are really good shafts.  It's a shame but it happens in golf.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

If you “watch” them, you will eventually get sent a discounted offer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

Because they aren't made anymore and they are really good shafts.  It's a shame but it happens in golf.

Yeah but that's backwards thinking.....RAISE the price on a discontinued item? Nah , I'm not buying that......and yes they're awesome shafts hence why I was trying to grab a 2nd set 😊😉