ProjectX Catalyst 100 graphite iron shaft review-Pretty impressive shaft

mogc60

4 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yeah but that's backwards thinking.....RAISE the price on a discontinued item? Nah , I'm not buying that......and yes they're awesome shafts hence why I was trying to grab a 2nd set 😊😉

Supply and demand.  Never to be made again and only $25 per.  Can't see them getting any cheaper unless there were thousands of shafts waiting to be put up for sale.  Even Golfworks has raised their price to $45 per shaft.  Just last month they had more selection at $35 per.

• Thanks 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

6 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

Supply and demand.  Never to be made again and only $25 per.  Can't see them getting any cheaper unless there were thousands of shafts waiting to be put up for sale.  Even Golfworks has raised their price to $45 per shaft.  Just last month they had more selection at $35 per.

Funny thing initial release they came in at 75 per .....when I grabbed them they were at the 24 per price .....now 40 ????   I need a coupon

Just now, SwooshLT said:

Funny thing initial release they came in at 75 per .....when I grabbed them they were at the 24 per price .....now 40 ????   I need a coupon

I just reread the thread topic.  I am referring to 80g shafts.  IME the 80g were a world apart from the 65g.  I can't imagine the difference between 80 and 100...

Checking out now, lol.  In closing I can only say it's a shame px isn't making these any more.

1 minute ago, bekgolf said:

I just reread the thread topic.  I am referring to 80g shafts.  IME the 80g were a world apart from the 65g.  I can't imagine the difference between 80 and 100...

Checking out now, lol.  In closing I can only say it's a shame px isn't making these any more.

Me too.....80g 5.5 was my purchase and shaft of choice.....hopefully there is a parallel replacement or a price drop!!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Red4282 said:

I think they have been discontinued or production stopped

Wow, what a shame. I’ve played a bunch of different graphite shafts. Play the Steelfibers regularly. Steelfibers, Recoils, etc. can be an acquired taste.

But the Catalyst 100 is probably the most steel-like graphite shaft I have played. To the extent that I think an OEM could offer them up as a stock shaft with some different flexes, and nobody would even know they were graphite. Even sort of look like a steel shaft. That is a loss if they are done.  Glad I have my Apex ‘21 set with them.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Wow, what a shame. I’ve played a bunch of different graphite shafts. Play the Steelfibers regularly. Steelfibers, Recoils, etc. can be an acquired taste.

But the Catalyst 100 is probably the most steel-like graphite shaft I have played. To the extent that I think an OEM could offer them up as a stock shaft with some different flexes, and nobody would even know they were graphite. Even sort of look like a steel shaft. That is a loss if they are done.  Glad I have my Apex ‘21 set with them.

Well im sure a new version will come out. I dont even know if what i said is true, im just basing it off extremely limited availability online.

I’m really hoping they come out with an updated version, maybe add a 115-120 model to the lineup. It’s an incredible shaft I’d hate to see them not carry it on in an updated shaft series. 

Edited by mogc60
  • Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

4 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Well im sure a new version will come out. I dont even know if what i said is true, im just basing it off extremely limited availability online.

Gotcha, guess we’ll see what happens.  Too good of a line to go away altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 8:57 AM, Red4282 said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if a Hzrdus graphite iron shaft was released at some point to replace Catalyst. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Still the off-season in the Northeast, but due to a mild winter, I have been playing golf regularly.  In the off-season, I'll bounce around between iron sets with Steelfibers (i95 and i110) and the Catalyst 100 (my Apex 21 irons). 

The more I use them, the more impressed I get with the Catalyst 100.  They really are incredible shafts.  As an i95 and i110 regular flex user, I have found that the Catalyst 100 6.0 soft-stepped twice is the correct fit. Straight in, they are very stout.  Soft-stepped once, they got better, but were still too stout and low launching.

Just incredible stability, feel and performance.  And a perfect match with the Apex heads.  If these are in fact discontinued, that would be a real shame. Total speculation, but I'd imagine these are not cheap to manufacture, and maybe they just weren't gaining the traction they wanted.  Or, that could all be wrong and hopefully these are just back-ordered and will be available again...

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, SwooshLT said:

My catalyst 80cw 5.5 ssx1 overlength experiment has changed into GETTING DIALED IN !!!!

These have been more accurate,  higher flying and much better feeling than previous steel shafts .....still need to confirm length, swingweight and lies but infinitely closer to being dialed than I ever thought with graphite. 

Well even more confirmation that these are just built for this old guy!!! Made a minor swing change giving MASSIVE results.....hitting higher and more compression....excited to get the thoughts on course.  SHAFT is AMAZING !!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Well even more confirmation that these are just built for this old guy!!! Made a minor swing change giving MASSIVE results.....hitting higher and more compression....excited to get the thoughts on course.  SHAFT is AMAZING !!! 

It’s a shame, because the Catalysts are amazing shafts, but instead of growing and expanding, they seem to be disappearing and discontinuing.  Strange.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

It’s a shame, because the Catalysts are amazing shafts, but instead of growing and expanding, they seem to be disappearing and discontinuing.  Strange.

Really good shafts, I'm glad I didn't give up after hitting the lighter weight version.  I can only wonder if it has/had something to do with True Temper buying Aerotech and the Steelfiber line. 

They do have some interesting new iron shafts https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/iron-wedge-shafts-true-temper-golf/graphite-iron-wedge-shafts.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

Really good shafts, I'm glad I didn't give up after hitting the lighter weight version.  I can only wonder if it has/had something to do with True Temper buying Aerotech and the Steelfiber line. 

They do have some interesting new iron shafts https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/golf/golf/iron-wedge-shafts-true-temper-golf/graphite-iron-wedge-shafts.html

Wow!! Great find......sad still nonetheless because something special about the catalyst over MMT and SF .....

Both launch and dispersion for me 

2 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

seems like the KBS TGi  would be similar

They look similar on paper but it didn't work that way for me.  Love the Catalyst 80 6.0, didn't get along with the KBS TGI 80s unless I was going all out in the swing.

2 hours ago, bekgolf said:

They look similar on paper but it didn't work that way for me.  Love the Catalyst 80 6.0, didn't get along with the KBS TGI 80s unless I was going all out in the swing.

so the tgis  were stiffer.

soft step them once or twice?

i  tried the 70s and hit them very straight not much curve at all, Pity  they were all  10 yards left but that's my fault, at least  they were not diving further left as softer shafts seem to do

9 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I’m sure it has to do with their consolidation of brands.  That said, in your link, I still don’t see much in the way of graphite iron shafts 80g and up other than the Steelfibers we already knew were out there.  

I feel like 65g and 75g graphite shafts are kind of a dime a dozen, but many of us really need 80g and up (frankly, in my case, 95g and up).  And Catalyst had that.  I love my Steelfibers, but the Catalyst 100 I have in my Apex ‘21 irons are outstanding.  And from checking recently, they’re not a custom option anymore with Callaway.  Disappointing.

The problem with KBS will always be linking up stiffness with shaft weight.  Not being able to get a 100g or 110g shaft that isn’t crazy stiff is an issue for some of us.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Bought a set of these brand new 5-PW in these but I need a 4 iron shaft.  Any harm in buying another 5 iron shaft at 39" and just butt trimming it longer to 4 iron length?  Doubt it'd make a huge difference but wanted to check 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

12 minutes ago, Cameron Circle T said:

Hard stepping once. It will make it about 1/3 of a flex stiffer than your 4 iron. Probably not a huge difference, but might be slight.

Wasn't sure if it was different in graphite or not - thanks for the response.  Guess i'll shaft up a 7 iron and make sure I get along with it before I commit completely 

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

@Phabs I may have one for you... it's a 3 iron at 4 iron utility length that's currently in my ZXU. I have a MMT inbound that I want to try against it and then would maybe get rid of the Catalyst. Same 6.5 100 but would play soft stepped  in the 4 iron. How soon do you need? I'm hoping to get this test sorted next week or so and can ping you.

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

1 minute ago, PNW said:

@Phabs I may have one for you... it's a 3 iron at 4 iron utility length that's currently in my ZXU. I have a MMT inbound that I want to try against it and then would maybe get rid of the Catalyst. Same 6.5 100 but would play soft stepped  in the 4 iron. How soon do you need? I'm hoping to get this test sorted next week or so and can ping you.

Not an immediate need.  I'm going to shaft the 7 iron this week and get it to the range this weekend to see how I like them 

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Three range session in and the shaft is growing on me.  Same height window as my 6.5 rifles and a little softer feel.  

Had no weight added to the head for the first session - head felt light and dispersion wasn’t real good.   Swingweight was C9

Second session I added tape to get it up to D0/D1 and it felt way better.  Dispersion was better for sure.

Went back this afternoon after adding more tape to get it D2 and it’s money.  Head feels great and flight is pretty solid.  I’d like to see how they act in wind.   

I’d like to get them on a launch monitor outside as well and compare numbers to my 6.5’s 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Got the shaft out yesterday with a launch monitor into a 10-15 mph head wind and these may not be the shaft for me.  Ballooned uncontrollably for me even flighting the life out of them.  Launch monitor kinda confirmed I spin them too much which added to the issue.   Love the feel and the weight of the shafts just performance based issues for my delivery. 

I hit a couple that looked like open face 58* flop height that went 140 yards.  Spent more time going vertical then going out 🤣

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 hours ago, Phabs said:

Got the shaft out yesterday with a launch monitor into a 10-15 mph head wind and these may not be the shaft for me.  Ballooned uncontrollably for me even flighting the life out of them.  Launch monitor kinda confirmed I spin them too much which added to the issue.   Love the feel and the weight of the shafts just performance based issues for my delivery. 

I hit a couple that looked like open face 58* flop height that went 140 yards.  Spent more time going vertical then going out 🤣

I only tried this shaft in a 4 iron and had a similar issue trying to flight it down. Spin was not a problem though. No idea how it would of played in a mid or short iron. I had it pulled and now trying Axiom 105. If you like the feel of Catalyst 100, I would be curious to see if you get along with Dart 105. Catalyst 100 is a stiff mid design, like KBS Tour V and Modus 130. Sounds like UST firmed up the mid section of the Recoil for the Dart lineup. Havent tried it yet, but Dart 105 could be a nice alternative to Catalyst 100.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

14 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

I only tried this shaft in a 4 iron and had a similar issue trying to flight it down. Spin was not a problem though. No idea how it would of played in a mid or short iron. I had it pulled and now trying Axiom 105. If you like the feel of Catalyst 100, I would be curious to see if you get along with Dart 105. Catalyst 100 is a stiff mid design, like KBS Tour V and Modus 130. Sounds like UST firmed up the mid section of the Recoil for the Dart lineup. Havent tried it yet, but Dart 105 could be a nice alternative to Catalyst 100.

Probably looking into the MMT 125 TX or maybe an older set of Fuji's but I'll keep an eye out for a set of Darts as well.   I just couldn't keep the ball from launching and spinning way up into the wind - trackman confirmed it.   Even on my knock downs the spin was almost 1000 plus over my 6.5 rifles   My only concern with the MMT's was the swingweighting issues everyone seems to have with them - don't really want to deal with that whole mess. 

Edited by Phabs

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

16 hours ago, Phabs said:

Probably looking into the MMT 125 TX or maybe an older set of Fuji's but I'll keep an eye out for a set of Darts as well.   I just couldn't keep the ball from launching and spinning way up into the wind - trackman confirmed it.   Even on my knock downs the spin was almost 1000 plus over my 6.5 rifles   My only concern with the MMT's was the swingweighting issues everyone seems to have with them - don't really want to deal with that whole mess. 

I tried MMT 105 TX in a 4 iron as well and it did launch a little lower. Couldn't get over the feel though. Feels a little softer in the handle like Dynamic Gold. It also does swing weight on the heavy side, especially if you play your irons over standard length. 

On 5/20/2023 at 9:58 AM, cw1209 said:

I tried MMT 105 TX in a 4 iron as well and it did launch a little lower. Couldn't get over the feel though. Feels a little softer in the handle like Dynamic Gold. It also does swing weight on the heavy side, especially if you play your irons over standard length. 

I have a 125 tx coming to test  - Catalysts will be on the BST soon unfortunately , I looked for a clean set forever. 

Bridgestone Tour BXS