2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Mistwood on Saturday morning. It's been a few years since I've played there. Do they allow walking on weekend mornings?

> >

>

> Yes.

Much appreciated.

Hughes Creek on Sunday morning. It'll be my 175th public course played in Chicagoland. My days here are (hopefully) numbered, so it's looking highly unlikely that I'll hit all public courses in the area. 'Not too many good courses left to play, but it would have been interesting to check them all off.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

we should try to hold a golfwrx sendoff for you, Arg.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> we should try to hold a golfwrx sendoff for you, Arg.

That would be nice. 'Still haven't played The Preserve since the renovation.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Mistwood on Saturday morning. It's been a few years since I've played there. Do they allow walking on weekend mornings?

> > >

> >

> > Yes.

>

> Much appreciated.

>

> Hughes Creek on Sunday morning. It'll be my 175th public course played in Chicagoland. My days here are (hopefully) numbered, so it's looking highly unlikely that I'll hit all public courses in the area. 'Not too many good courses left to play, but it would have been interesting to check them all off.

>

I played HC a lot back in high school. There's some fun holes out there, the first hole is an awesome hole to just rip a driver. I'm curious how the course has grown in since it's been about 20 years since I've been out there.

Where you off to Arg? You've been a great resource for Chicago golf.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

After 32 years in IT, I'm being laid off on November 1st. At this point I'd say the date is 95% certain. If there's a delay, it could push it back til February. 'No desire to spend an unemployed winter in Chicago staring at snow drifts, so I'm planning to head to Phoenix for the winter. I'm hoping to work on my game for an hour or two each weekday morning, followed by a round. My plans are to return in March and get my River North condo ready to put on the market by April 1st. If the housing market doesn't take a dive between now and then I expect a fast sale. The next step is to find a 42 ft Class A diesel pusher, and hit the road for a few years. There are a ton of places in the U.S. and Canada that I want to see, playing golf, visiting national/state parks, riding tourist railroads, and drinking craft beer. My tentative plan would be to start in the direction of Nova Scotia (Cabot Links), and work my way down the eastern states through the summer, zigzagging through New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia, winding up in the south for the winter. The following year I'd start by heading to Alberta/British Columbia, and do the same in the western states.

I'm years away from official retirement, but I've stuffed enough $$$ in the mattress to get by for a number of years. I decided that another few years in a cubicle or open office just isn't for me. If I get bored at some point, I'd probably look for a part time job, or simply give the gig economy a shot while I'm traveling. I got a Class A license recently, so driving a big rig for short periods of time could fill any gaps. I have no firm idea where I plan to settle permanently. I'm hoping that I come across a decent place while traveling. At this point I'm thinking that Texas, southern Tennessee, or western North Carolina might be tempting. I've been a Chicagoan for my entire life, and while I love the city, I've had my fill of the weather and taxes.

• Like 2

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Mistwood on Saturday morning. It's been a few years since I've played there. Do they allow walking on weekend mornings?

> > >

> >

> > Yes.

>

> Much appreciated.

>

> Hughes Creek on Sunday morning. It'll be my 175th public course played in Chicagoland. My days here are (hopefully) numbered, so it's looking highly unlikely that I'll hit all public courses in the area. 'Not too many good courses left to play, but it would have been interesting to check them all off.

>

Be careful on the 3rd tee box. After the 2nd hole you actually double back 175 yards or so and the 3rd tee is positioned pretty close to the landing zone for the 2nd hole, and opposite a hazard type area, so it's a common bailout. It's somewhat protected by small trees, but I've been buzzed a few times there.

> @VNutz said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Mistwood on Saturday morning. It's been a few years since I've played there. Do they allow walking on weekend mornings?

> > > >

> > >

> > > Yes.

> >

> > Much appreciated.

> >

> > Hughes Creek on Sunday morning. It'll be my 175th public course played in Chicagoland. My days here are (hopefully) numbered, so it's looking highly unlikely that I'll hit all public courses in the area. 'Not too many good courses left to play, but it would have been interesting to check them all off.

> >

>

> Be careful on the 3rd tee box. After the 2nd hole you actually double back 175 yards or so and the 3rd tee is positioned pretty close to the landing zone for the 2nd hole, and opposite a hazard type area, so it's a common bailout. It's somewhat protected by small trees, but I've been buzzed a few times there.

Apologies...wasn't aiming at you intentionally.

They do have a great bar area. Very rural Wisconsin-esque.

> @Argonne69 said:

> After 32 years in IT, I'm being laid off on November 1st. At this point I'd say the date is 95% certain. If there's a delay, it could push it back til February. 'No desire to spend an unemployed winter in Chicago staring at snow drifts, so I'm planning to head to Phoenix for the winter. I'm hoping to work on my game for an hour or two each weekday morning, followed by a round. My plans are to return in March and get my River North condo ready to put on the market by April 1st. If the housing market doesn't take a dive between now and then I expect a fast sale. The next step is to find a 42 ft Class A diesel pusher, and hit the road for a few years. There are a ton of places in the U.S. and Canada that I want to see, playing golf, visiting national/state parks, riding tourist railroads, and drinking craft beer. My tentative plan would be to start in the direction of Nova Scotia (Cabot Links), and work my way down the eastern states through the summer, zigzagging through New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia, winding up in the south for the winter. The following year I'd start by heading to Alberta/British Columbia, and do the same in the western states.

>

> I'm years away from official retirement, but I've stuffed enough $$$ in the mattress to get by for a number of years. I decided that another few years in a cubicle or open office just isn't for me. If I get bored at some point, I'd probably look for a part time job, or simply give the gig economy a shot while I'm traveling. I got a Class A license recently, so driving a big rig for short periods of time could fill any gaps. I have no firm idea where I plan to settle permanently. I'm hoping that I come across a decent place while traveling. At this point I'm thinking that Texas, southern Tennessee, or western North Carolina might be tempting. I've been a Chicagoan for my entire life, and while I love the city, I've had my fill of the weather and taxes.

That's awesome. I've been in IT for 21 years now and it's not getting any easier, too many people willing to work for cheap making it harder and harder to make decent money. They're probably doing you a pretty good favor by the sounds of things. Your plan sounds fantastic.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Best of luck @Argonne69 it sounds like you have a pretty solid and fun plan laid out. Enjoy your travels when it happens and post all of your pics here for us to look at while we are frozen.

My in-laws are in the same boat. I am praying they end up in Arizona. They could buy a nice car every year for the taxes they pay.

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > After 32 years in IT, I'm being laid off on November 1st. At this point I'd say the date is 95% certain. If there's a delay, it could push it back til February. 'No desire to spend an unemployed winter in Chicago staring at snow drifts, so I'm planning to head to Phoenix for the winter. I'm hoping to work on my game for an hour or two each weekday morning, followed by a round. My plans are to return in March and get my River North condo ready to put on the market by April 1st. If the housing market doesn't take a dive between now and then I expect a fast sale. The next step is to find a 42 ft Class A diesel pusher, and hit the road for a few years. There are a ton of places in the U.S. and Canada that I want to see, playing golf, visiting national/state parks, riding tourist railroads, and drinking craft beer. My tentative plan would be to start in the direction of Nova Scotia (Cabot Links), and work my way down the eastern states through the summer, zigzagging through New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia, winding up in the south for the winter. The following year I'd start by heading to Alberta/British Columbia, and do the same in the western states.

> >

> > I'm years away from official retirement, but I've stuffed enough $$$ in the mattress to get by for a number of years. I decided that another few years in a cubicle or open office just isn't for me. If I get bored at some point, I'd probably look for a part time job, or simply give the gig economy a shot while I'm traveling. I got a Class A license recently, so driving a big rig for short periods of time could fill any gaps. I have no firm idea where I plan to settle permanently. I'm hoping that I come across a decent place while traveling. At this point I'm thinking that Texas, southern Tennessee, or western North Carolina might be tempting. I've been a Chicagoan for my entire life, and while I love the city, I've had my fill of the weather and taxes.

>

> That's awesome. I've been in IT for 21 years now and it's not getting any easier, too many people willing to work for cheap making it harder and harder to make decent money. They're probably doing you a pretty good favor by the sounds of things. Your plan sounds fantastic.

Yeah, the company has been very open and upfront about it. It's been in the works for two years now, so there are no surprises. I'll collect a year's severance pay, and two weeks of unused vacation. There's a sh*tload of age discrimination in IT. Few companies want older workers when there are younger people willing to work crazy hours for less money and benefits. My days of burning the midnight oil have past. I'm probably two to three years away from knee replacement, so I'm going to get my fill of golf while the 'ol body is still somewhat capable.

> @Argonne69 said:

> After 32 years in IT, I'm being laid off on November 1st. At this point I'd say the date is 95% certain. If there's a delay, it could push it back til February. 'No desire to spend an unemployed winter in Chicago staring at snow drifts, so I'm planning to head to Phoenix for the winter. I'm hoping to work on my game for an hour or two each weekday morning, followed by a round. My plans are to return in March and get my River North condo ready to put on the market by April 1st. If the housing market doesn't take a dive between now and then I expect a fast sale. The next step is to find a 42 ft Class A diesel pusher, and hit the road for a few years. There are a ton of places in the U.S. and Canada that I want to see, playing golf, visiting national/state parks, riding tourist railroads, and drinking craft beer. My tentative plan would be to start in the direction of Nova Scotia (Cabot Links), and work my way down the eastern states through the summer, zigzagging through New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia, winding up in the south for the winter. The following year I'd start by heading to Alberta/British Columbia, and do the same in the western states.

>

> I'm years away from official retirement, but I've stuffed enough $$$ in the mattress to get by for a number of years. I decided that another few years in a cubicle or open office just isn't for me. If I get bored at some point, I'd probably look for a part time job, or simply give the gig economy a shot while I'm traveling. I got a Class A license recently, so driving a big rig for short periods of time could fill any gaps. I have no firm idea where I plan to settle permanently. I'm hoping that I come across a decent place while traveling. At this point I'm thinking that Texas, southern Tennessee, or western North Carolina might be tempting. I've been a Chicagoan for my entire life, and while I love the city, I've had my fill of the weather and taxes.

Always enjoy your posts. Best of luck. Enjoy the journey!

> @Argonne69 said:

>

Best of luck to you Arg. Playing 175 area courses is something that I don’t think anyone else around here has accomplished. However, in your travels I doubt you’ll find a course that measures up to Lost Marsh.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Argonne69 said:

>

Argonne - I'm simultaneously bummed for you and jealous of you. While it sucks to have the decision made for you by the company, this sounds like a great chance to expand your horizons and have some fun all across the country (continent?) for the next couple of years. Maybe by the time you get your 42-footer, the ride shares will have added another class of vehicle that you can drive for to keep you in golfing/diesel money...Uber XXXL?

Someone mentioned a send-off...is an outing at The Preserves a possibility?

I was originally planning to retire early in 2020. With the year severance, I'm simply getting a two year head start. I've really enjoyed my career, including the people I work with, but I never felt that IT defined me. I'm hoping I don't get bored, but I guess that's something everyone has to deal with in retirement at some point, whether it's at age 56, 76, or 86. I have other hobbies that have been withering on the vine. I hope to pick them up again at some point.

I'll be back in the spring. Hopefully we can get together at The Preserve if Mother Nature cooperates. I'll continue to post to WRX. If I'm playing five new courses every week on my travels, I'll likely start a thread in the main travel section to document my journeys.

> @Argonne69 said:

>

If you make it to Jersey, please hit me up. I love reading the posts in this thread.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > >

> >

> > Yes.

>

> Much appreciated.

>

>

What kind of shape is Mistwood in these days?

Annual HS buddy’s trip this weekend, Lost Dunes on Sat. And Long Beach CC on Sunday. This rain better stay away!

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

> @sma said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Group Golfer has a $25 deal with cart for Oak Grove for those who don't mind the drive...

>

> What are the conditions like at Oak Grove? I'm playing there this weekend for the first time in like 20 years...

We've only played it a couple of times this year. The course is in very good condition, except the bunkers.

Preserve at Oak Meadows this coming Saturday.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

enjoy, b-man (I just checked and google maps updated their image of the Preserve to show the new course. Before it was still showing the torn up course during the renovation work).

I guess they are breaking ground next week (9/17) on the new clubhouse there.

Arg, if you don't make it to the Preserve sooner, maybe we could set something up for some Saturday in early Oct?

I'll be playing Mt Prospect this Sat am with some golf league guys.

Looking forward to it, should be drier than up north by us in libertyville/gurnee area, where we got another 2.5 inches last night for 4.6" in the last 48 hours, crikey.

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

this morning I drove past Sportsman's East Nine and saw a player walking on number eight , about eight in the morning.

two hundred yards past that the driving range had a small lake from the rain.

I was thinking to myself, how in the world did the place drain so fast.......

you guys farther north must have gotten soaked by the looks of the radar.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @sma said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Group Golfer has a $25 deal with cart for Oak Grove for those who don't mind the drive...

> >

> > What are the conditions like at Oak Grove? I'm playing there this weekend for the first time in like 20 years...

>

> We've only played it a couple of times this year. The course is in very good condition, except the bunkers.

It's poured 24 out of the last 48 hours up here. Expect it to be wet.

Bunkers will be flooded.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Played 36 @ Prairie Landing yesterday for $20/round (couple of the guys bought some coupons online). Haven’t played there in a few years so it was nice to see the course again.

Course was in very good condition except for a few bunkers that had WAY too much sand in them.

Now it’s time to spend a couple days with the family before heading up to Green Lake, WI for a little fishing getaway.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

> @mci711 said:

> Anyone ever get down to Notre Dame and play the Warren Course? I'm off Monday and was planning on playing Mt. Prospect, but I've always been interested in playing down there and could make the drive since I have the whole day.

Have played it a few times and enjoyed it. Great condition as you can imagine. It wasn't overly pricey at all. Great mix of holes and there's a bit of elevation change on a few holes. It's on a level with Blackstone with no houses.