Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @zer0 said:

> > > @ldchristopher said:

> > > > @zer0 said:

> > > > > @iconick said:

> > > > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> > > >

> > > > Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

> > > He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

> > >

> >

> > There aren't too many times in the day when you can get to any of those places from Lakeview in under 45 minutes though. Not unless you catch traffic when it is light. Weekend mornings would work, but on the way home you could be looking at an hour.

> Totally agree. I try not to factor in the return trip. I just expect it to take twice as long as it took to get there. The pickings are slim if it’s gotta be 45 minutes or less both ways. Jackson Park, Joe Louis, Chick Evans, Glenview Park and Indian Boundary are all that come to mind.

>

yea as someone who does that reverse commute up the Edens every morning I'm just bitter about the traffic :(

If the poster is going mid day and coming back after rush hour it would be doable in 45 minutes or less. Definitely Glenview and Wilmette at least. Or early morning weekend and back in the city before 1 might work as well.

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @zer0 said:

> > > @iconick said:

> > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> >

> > Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

> He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

>

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @iconick said:

> > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

>

> 45 minutes on a weekday afternoon, or Saturday morning? The northern suburban courses are decent, i.e. Wilmette, Glencoe, Glenview Park, and Sportmans. All are under $60 to walk. I live in River North, and it took me 20 minutes to drive to Wilmette this past Sunday. I finished my 11:30 am, and it was a 40 minute trip back to River North.

>

> Robert Black is an OK nine hole course 4 miles from Wrigley.

>

Thank you both for the recommendations. I have played Deerfield and Ravisloe and liked both of those courses a lot. Have either of you played Indian Boundary?

A buddy of mine will play it tomorrow (Baer 9 at Schaumburg)

Looks great from my internet viewing

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @iconick said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > > @zer0 said:

> > > > @iconick said:

> > > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> > >

> > > Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

> > He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

> >

>

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @iconick said:

> > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> >

> > 45 minutes on a weekday afternoon, or Saturday morning? The northern suburban courses are decent, i.e. Wilmette, Glencoe, Glenview Park, and Sportmans. All are under $60 to walk. I live in River North, and it took me 20 minutes to drive to Wilmette this past Sunday. I finished my 11:30 am, and it was a 40 minute trip back to River North.

> >

> > Robert Black is an OK nine hole course 4 miles from Wrigley.

> >

>

> Thank you both for the recommendations. I have played Deerfield and Ravisloe and liked both of those courses a lot. Have either of you played Indian Boundary?

I've played IB numerous times. It's by no means a good course, but it is playable. It's on the lower end of the Cook County Forest preserve courses. The pace of play can be bad, so very early weekend rounds are recommended. It's common for tee times to get pushed back because of delays. It starts off with a tough par 4, a short par 4 with OB right and hazard left, and then a reachable par 5 that too many think they can actually reach. It's taken me an hour to get through the first three holes a few times. Course conditions range from OK to poor. Early spring and late fall it's muddy, and the goose sh-t can be bad. There are a handful of fun holes (e.g. 7, 8, 16, 17), but most are meh.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @iconick said:

> > > @ldchristopher said:

> > > > @zer0 said:

> > > > > @iconick said:

> > > > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> > > >

> > > > Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

> > > He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

> > >

> >

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @iconick said:

> > > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> > >

> > > 45 minutes on a weekday afternoon, or Saturday morning? The northern suburban courses are decent, i.e. Wilmette, Glencoe, Glenview Park, and Sportmans. All are under $60 to walk. I live in River North, and it took me 20 minutes to drive to Wilmette this past Sunday. I finished my 11:30 am, and it was a 40 minute trip back to River North.

> > >

> > > Robert Black is an OK nine hole course 4 miles from Wrigley.

> > >

> >

> > Thank you both for the recommendations. I have played Deerfield and Ravisloe and liked both of those courses a lot. Have either of you played Indian Boundary?

>

> I've played IB numerous times. It's by no means a good course, but it is playable. It's on the lower end of the Cook County Forest preserve courses. The pace of play can be bad, so very early weekend rounds are recommended. It's common for tee times to get pushed back because of delays. It starts off with a tough par 4, a short par 4 with OB right and hazard left, and then a reachable par 5 that too many think they can actually reach. It's taken me an hour to get through the first three holes a few times. Course conditions range from OK to poor. Early spring and late fall it's muddy, and the goose sh-t can be bad. There are a handful of fun holes (e.g. 7, 8, 16, 17), but most are meh.

Yeah, pretty much exactly what Argonne said. It’s not a great course or even a particularly good one but it’s close to the city and is cheap. As a result, it’s among the busiest courses in the area. Honestly, it should be a par 69 or 70 and, if it was, it would feel far more challenging. However, it’s a par 72. The par 5’s are 447 yards, 462 yards, 468 yards, and 480 yards, so, yeah, scoring holes. If you’re patient, very low scores can be had. But odds are you’ll be standing over a lot of shots.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Quem24 said:

> What should i expect at St Andrews tomorrow?

Tree-lined fairways, slow-ish greens, good variety in the par 3’s, an objectively bad opener, a pretty solid closing hole, and a collection of very getable par 5’s. Oh, it also apparently has a dynamite range with perfectly-sized targets(?). So sayeth the Holiest of Moses (you’re new here but read this thread enough and you’ll get the joke).

Piretti Cottonwood II

Does having 2 tuition bills from UIUC excuse one from having to root for Illini football? Asking for a friend....?‍♂️

As for golf - Joliet GC on Sunday. Hopefully won’t get lost trying to find next tee box.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @stasek said:

> Does having 2 tuition bills from UIUC excuse one from having to root for Illini football? Asking for a friend....?‍♂️

> As for golf - Joliet GC on Sunday. Hopefully won’t get lost trying to find next tee box.

>

>

>

Just remember that 1 and 2 are normal, 3 tee box you can find on the other side of the range by the pool and 9 you have to trek to the east side of the club house for the tee box. If you're walking you may need to setup camp in between 2 and 3 and carry on the next day.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @stasek said:

> Does having 2 tuition bills from UIUC excuse one from having to root for Illini football? Asking for a friend....?‍♂️

> As for golf - Joliet GC on Sunday. Hopefully won’t get lost trying to find next tee box.

>

>

>

So I've played JGC twice in the last month or so and all I'll say is as you are leaving the green look for signs on the ground. They will point you where to go. The first time I played I had a guide who had played there before and I thought to myself, "how does anyone know their way around here?" The next time I played I was honestly worried I'd get lost but this time I looked for signs and I had no issues. It is a wacky layout though. If it stays dry and they are able to cut them the greens are awesome. Fun layout too.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > What should i expect at St Andrews tomorrow?

>

> Which course are you playing?

>

> You should expect a great range, good conditions with a fair price point.

Enjoyed the course. Didnt feel as tight as it was for the most part. Fairly well maintained with reasonable challenges and setup. I thought it was scenic and interesting, @Shriner complained about the course most of the round but that was likely because he was cranky after 3 putting 3 of the first 4 holes, so ill stick with my opinion that is solid and very good value.

Finally convinced my group to leave McHenry county. Playing Thunderhawk Sunday.

Sandwiched between my usual stops of Prairie Isle Saturday and Oak Grove Monday.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

> @Symphonize said:

> Off topic, but College Football is back baby! (Though technically back last weekend). Any other CFB fans here?

At least one B1G team sh!ts the bed every year during week one. Sorry it was Purdue this year. Not a lot of walk-one can hit from 56 yards.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Village Links was in awesome condition today. Fairways rolling hard and fast, greens true and slick and even the water hazards were very receptive!

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

If weather cooperates tomorrow, this weekend will go down in history as the week I played 2 formerly private courses that recently went public. So what do you do when 2 “kids” are in college and wife and “baby” are in NY/NJ? Yup, you play as much golf as possible.... Last minute tee time at Calumet CC. Definitely worth the $59 we paid. The 10 min intervals did wonders, as we got around the course in 3.5 hours (3-some, let play through on 5th). The course is in great condition (notwithstanding few bare/brown patches here and there). The greens were rolling at pretty much perfect pace (10-11), and were in great condition. Couldn’t take advantage of the easy par 5s (3 putted 15th for par ?‍♂️, after hitting into the group in front of us; thought they were done - karma is a ...). 78 felt like 90. Joliet tomorrow morning.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @Symphonize said:

> > Off topic, but College Football is back baby! (Though technically back last weekend). Any other CFB fans here?

> At least one B1G team sh!ts the bed every year during week one. Sorry it was Purdue this year. Not a lot of walk-one can hit from 56 yards.

>

Ugh that killed me last night. Completely blew it. Heard the kicker got a scholarship last night. That’s a feel good story I guess.

Played Kemper Lakes today, and other than the day being perfect my game was far from perfect. Didn’t even keep score on the back nine, kept pulling shots, many pulling so hard they went straight OB. Also not sure what happened to my wedge game in the last three days, I’ve seemed to have developed some chipping yips, I keep hitting chips on the hosel and sending it 45 degrees out instead of straight. It’s ugly

When you have the first tee time, and the second group is waiting on every shot, and the third group is right on their backside; ask yourself - 'Might we move a bit quicker, or should we invite them to play through ?'

The ranger told us, you are playing faster than recommended pace, so there's nothing I can say.

we finished under four and a half, though we could have been done an hour earlier.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I finished the trip with a round at Giant Oak. This parkland layout is fairly nondescript. The front nine is more wooded than the back, but it's not entirely tree lined. There are a few tough driving holes, but otherwise it's fairly straightforward. There are few if any fairway bunkers. It has a good mix of holes. The long par 3 third is a beast. Greens were moderate in size with few undulations. The 18th is probably the toughest of the bunch.

No complaints on the conditioning.

Decent front nine at two over with one birdie, but I ran out of gas on the back. Five rounds in three days combined with a bad back will do that. Had a blast nonetheless.

I'll post full photo sets tomorrow, along with my course rankings.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played two new (to me) courses outside Madison this weekend, The Oaks and University Ridge. Had great experiences at both courses and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either to anyone coming into town.

University Ridge is well known so I won’t waste too much with the description but overall I played pretty well, shot 74.

I did not play The Oaks near as well and we played there first so the round was more about knocking off some rust. Shot 78 but had 5 3 putts, including one from 2ft away. Conditions were solid and the greens were definitely on the faster end but in very good shape. Some goofy holes (#9 / #18 / and some par 4 on the back that had a blind tee shot and 2nd shot). Overall this was a solid course and was very much worth the $40 we paid to play it.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Just finished Joliet GC. Yup, the routing sucks, but at least they have ample signs guiding you to 3rd and 9th hole. Due to overnight rain, the course was wet, but very playable. Greens rolled pretty nice, but again, due to wetness and foot traffic, were pretty bumpy. Played like donkey (7 over through first 6 holes), but managed 81 (thanks to couple unexpected birdies, one of them using Texas wedge on 18). Looks like next round will be @ Cog #2 next Saturday. When it comes to the 2 formerly private course that just went public (Joliet and Calumet), I think I would take Calumet every time.

Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

• Like 1

Played Browns Lake and Foxford today. Two very different courses with two very different results. Browns Lake is an old school parkland design in Racine County that we walked for $19. It uses the terrain around it really well and has some very good holes. Playing the first 7 holes in the rain was no fun but there was no rain after that. The pace was junk but that’s expected at a County course up there in Tony Romo Land. My game was off since I’m back at work and haven’t played in over a week. 78.

Foxford was as expected. Slow but well-conditioned. The greens on the front had been punched with small tines but the back hadn’t been punched yet. Led to very different green speeds on the front (about 7) and back (about 9). My driver was all over the place but I had it when I needed it and my irons and fairway woods were sharp. Only one birdie on 12 but I played 15 perfect only to miss a three footer for bird. Ugh. 74.

Piretti Cottonwood II