Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Local neighborhood Labor Day Classic at Flagg Creek tomorrow morning.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Got in an early morning round at bittersweet today. More bitter than sweet. Think I lost 12 balls on the day. But I did have 2 birdies, birdied the par 5 14th and birdied the 185 yard par 3 17th. Put my shot to 4 feet. Also put my tee shot on the 175 yard par 3 12 pin high 5 feet away but couldn’t hit that birdie putt. The rest of the day was not well

> @Symphonize said:

> Got in an early morning round at bittersweet today. More bitter than sweet. Think I lost 12 balls on the day. But I did have 2 birdies, birdied the par 5 14th and birdied the 185 yard par 3 17th. Put my shot to 4 feet. Also put my tee shot on the 175 yard par 3 12 pin high 5 feet away but couldn’t hit that birdie putt. The rest of the day was not well

Tough course if you're not hitting it straight.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Prairie Landing yesterday... Such a great layout that course is, and have never seen it so calm. The only breeze all day was on the 7th hole from the private jets rolling in... But the greens were bad, really bad - running incredibly slow and bumpy. Probably because of the rain the night before and the lack of wind to dry them out, which I am used to when playing out there. Pace was good for a 1:20 tee time, in fact it would have been really good if not for two of the guys I was paired up with who had to look for every single ball that went into the long stuff, which was pretty much every single hole except for maybe the par threes.

One quick critique... I think the 6th green should be redone. There really is only one hole location on the green that doesn’t shrink the target to 30 sq ft, anything outside of which and you’ve got a gimmicky mini-golf style close your eyes and pray for a two-putt. Other than that, as I say love the layout of this course.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Symphonize said:

> > Got in an early morning round at bittersweet today. More bitter than sweet. Think I lost 12 balls on the day. But I did have 2 birdies, birdied the par 5 14th and birdied the 185 yard par 3 17th. Put my shot to 4 feet. Also put my tee shot on the 175 yard par 3 12 pin high 5 feet away but couldn’t hit that birdie putt. The rest of the day was not well

>

> Tough course if you're not hitting it straight.

>

Colleague of mine used to live a few minutes from that course. Had a love-hate relationship with the track.

Learned when to leave driver in the bag and play from the fairway.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

@"@_the_crook" said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @Symphonize said:

> > > Got in an early morning round at bittersweet today. More bitter than sweet. Think I lost 12 balls on the day. But I did have 2 birdies, birdied the par 5 14th and birdied the 185 yard par 3 17th. Put my shot to 4 feet. Also put my tee shot on the 175 yard par 3 12 pin high 5 feet away but couldn’t hit that birdie putt. The rest of the day was not well

> >

> > Tough course if you're not hitting it straight.

> >

> Colleague of mine used to live a few minutes from that course. Had a love-hate relationship with the track.

> Learned when to leave driver in the bag and play from the fairway.

Yeah, there are some playability issues at Bittersweet for mid-to-high handicap players. Lots of target golf on the front and the back nine is 3500 yards with offset tee boxes to add to the fun. Not a lot of 6700 yard courses play a stroke and a half over par.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Thunderhawk was saturated on Sunday. Did it rain that hard Saturday night? I slept through it all. Other that that, course was in good shape.

Something did happen that put me off: We were a threesome and they made us wait forty minutes until a single showed up to fill up the group. I was very close to red lining my blood pressure before someone finally showed up. It was very frustrating to watch all these groups get out in front of us. Turned into an all day affair.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

> @"St Jimmy" said:

>

> Something did happen that put me off: We were a threesome and they made us wait forty minutes until a single showed up to fill up the group. I was very close to red lining my blood pressure before someone finally showed up. It was very frustrating to watch all these groups get out in front of us. Turned into an all day affair.

That's both ridiculous and dumb. People make tee times for a reason.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @"St Jimmy" said:

> Thunderhawk was saturated on Sunday. Did it rain that hard Saturday night? I slept through it all. Other that that, course was in good shape.

>

> Something did happen that put me off: We were a threesome and they made us wait forty minutes until a single showed up to fill up the group. I was very close to red lining my blood pressure before someone finally showed up. It was very frustrating to watch all these groups get out in front of us. Turned into an all day affair.

It rained overnight pretty heavily in Lake County and Southern Wisconsin but Thunderhawk tends to overwater anyway so I generally don’t give them the benefit of the doubt. Odds are the course is at least somewhat responsible for the excess moisture. They’ve let us go out as a twosome plenty of times so I don’t know what the deal is there. I’m guessing the tee sheet was full so they were told to make sure every group was a foursome. In theory, that means pace should be consistent for each group. In theory. Probably not so much in practice.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

>

> They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

>

> Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

I played Schaumburg yesterday. I second your thoughts. I heard the restaurant has really good food, but I didn't try it. Love the sand on the bunkers. The course is short, but I enjoyed it.

I got paired with a father and his two sons. One of his sons shoots in the high 70s on Addison Trails' golf team as a junior. The dad said that he can make the Loyola University golf team. That's all you have to shoot to make the team and get a scholarship? Great school if you can get a scholarship.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

> >

> > They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

> >

> > Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

>

> I played Schaumburg yesterday. I second your thoughts. I heard the restaurant has really good food, but I didn't try it. Love the sand on the bunkers. The course is short, but I enjoyed it.

>

> I got paired with a father and his two sons. One of his sons shoots in the high 70s on Addison Trails' golf team as a junior. The dad said that he can make the Loyola University golf team. That's all you have to shoot to make the team and get a scholarship? Great school if you can get a scholarship.

I have a decent amount of experience with college golf/recruiting. I used to recruit for schools. While Loyala isn't a very good golf program it is still division 1. Most of their team is local, so his high school coach may have a good relationship with Loyola's coach. For most division 1 programs you need to be performing better than "high 70s". His dad may have checked some posted scores and saw players shooting in the high 70s even low 80s pretty consistently and figured his son could do that. Not realizing it is a completely different game. Loyala's best player last year averaged a 75 but had a low of 66. He averaged low 70s in high school and a high performer in AJGA. Not saying he can't walk on and maybe play in a tournament (not guaranteed), but he'd be better off going to mid level d2 if he wanted to play.

• Like 1

> @"St Jimmy" said:

> Thunderhawk was saturated on Sunday. Did it rain that hard Saturday night? I slept through it all. Other that that, course was in good shape.

>

I'd never even heard of something like this before. I would be livid; terrible way to treat your paying customers.

> @mci711 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

> > >

> > > They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

> > >

> > > Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

> >

> > I played Schaumburg yesterday. I second your thoughts. I heard the restaurant has really good food, but I didn't try it. Love the sand on the bunkers. The course is short, but I enjoyed it.

> >

> > I got paired with a father and his two sons. One of his sons shoots in the high 70s on Addison Trails' golf team as a junior. The dad said that he can make the Loyola University golf team. That's all you have to shoot to make the team and get a scholarship? Great school if you can get a scholarship.

>

> I have a decent amount of experience with college golf/recruiting. I used to recruit for schools. While Loyala isn't a very good golf program it is still division 1. Most of their team is local, so his high school coach may have a good relationship with Loyola's coach. For most division 1 programs you need to be performing better than "high 70s". His dad may have checked some posted scores and saw players shooting in the high 70s even low 80s pretty consistently and figured his son could do that. Not realizing it is a completely different game. Loyala's best player last year averaged a 75 but had a low of 66. He averaged low 70s in high school and a high performer in AJGA. Not saying he can't walk on and maybe play in a tournament (not guaranteed), but he'd be better off going to mid level d2 if he wanted to play.

That was the best player, though. The number 4 guy probably shoots mid to high 70s.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Made the trek out to TPC Deere Run yesterday for the first time. Really fun track with some great views that we don't normally get in the flat lands here. As expected it was in great shape, greens ran just about right, but were quite receptive on chips and approaches which once adjusted to made up and downs much easier. It was interesting in that the green surface wasn't very deep, in fact I accidentally blew out my first ball mark fix attempt in that the turf just wasn't thick like I'm used to, like there wasn't much below the surface, never seen that before. Overall a really fun course with a nice variety of short and tight and longer holes, some really fun short par 4s and a couple beasts measuring about 500 into the wind. Par 5 10th measured exactly at 600 on my GPS and has a narrow'ish green surrounded by bunkers and a pond. But you could see how and why the pros play so well there, for the most part quite generous fairways and not a lot of rough, some of the shorter par 4s have to be attack holes for them. I felt like I had a mediocre ball striking day but got away with some misses, made some putts and came out with a 76 after bogeying every par 3. For the $70 price we paid I'll definitely be back again. Tour worthy other than location and sponsor is probably debatable, but being one of the few regular tour stops out there, and public at that and playable for less than $100 makes it a great play.

Edit: forgot to mention they had the best sand I've seen in a long time. Just perfect, almost too easy.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

> > > >

> > > > They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

> > > >

> > > > Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

> > >

> > > I played Schaumburg yesterday. I second your thoughts. I heard the restaurant has really good food, but I didn't try it. Love the sand on the bunkers. The course is short, but I enjoyed it.

> > >

> > > I got paired with a father and his two sons. One of his sons shoots in the high 70s on Addison Trails' golf team as a junior. The dad said that he can make the Loyola University golf team. That's all you have to shoot to make the team and get a scholarship? Great school if you can get a scholarship.

> >

> > I have a decent amount of experience with college golf/recruiting. I used to recruit for schools. While Loyala isn't a very good golf program it is still division 1. Most of their team is local, so his high school coach may have a good relationship with Loyola's coach. For most division 1 programs you need to be performing better than "high 70s". His dad may have checked some posted scores and saw players shooting in the high 70s even low 80s pretty consistently and figured his son could do that. Not realizing it is a completely different game. Loyala's best player last year averaged a 75 but had a low of 66. He averaged low 70s in high school and a high performer in AJGA. Not saying he can't walk on and maybe play in a tournament (not guaranteed), but he'd be better off going to mid level d2 if he wanted to play.

>

> That was the best player, though. The number 4 guy probably shoots mid to high 70s.

A kid I know got a golf scholarship at D1 university. Was probably scratch/+1 in high school. During his college days, his average was ~77-78. As they say - there’s golf and then there’s tournament golf.

• Like 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

> > > >

> > > > They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

> > > >

> > > > Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

> > >

> > > I played Schaumburg yesterday. I second your thoughts. I heard the restaurant has really good food, but I didn't try it. Love the sand on the bunkers. The course is short, but I enjoyed it.

> > >

> > > I got paired with a father and his two sons. One of his sons shoots in the high 70s on Addison Trails' golf team as a junior. The dad said that he can make the Loyola University golf team. That's all you have to shoot to make the team and get a scholarship? Great school if you can get a scholarship.

> >

> > I have a decent amount of experience with college golf/recruiting. I used to recruit for schools. While Loyala isn't a very good golf program it is still division 1. Most of their team is local, so his high school coach may have a good relationship with Loyola's coach. For most division 1 programs you need to be performing better than "high 70s". His dad may have checked some posted scores and saw players shooting in the high 70s even low 80s pretty consistently and figured his son could do that. Not realizing it is a completely different game. Loyala's best player last year averaged a 75 but had a low of 66. He averaged low 70s in high school and a high performer in AJGA. Not saying he can't walk on and maybe play in a tournament (not guaranteed), but he'd be better off going to mid level d2 if he wanted to play.

>

> That was the best player, though. The number 4 guy probably shoots mid to high 70s.

My point was their best player was a stud in high school and shot low 70s/60s in high profile tournaments (Coincidently I knew him from running jr tournaments years ago.) In college that translated to him shooting mid to high 70s in college golf. Mid to high 70s in college is a lot different than mid to high 70s in high school or playing with your dad. Their lowest scoring average was 78 last year, by a kid who was a state finalist in TX for his high school and had a scoring average around par in jr golf tournaments prior to college.

Played the very underrated Pinecrest yesterday in beautiful Huntley. The course is in really nice condition and the greens were running very quickly. One of the few courses where you didn't see unfixed ball marks and I'm guessing there were only 3-4 that were in need of fixing in addition to the ones I made. Pace was very slow (just under 4:45) which was caused by two things. First, the 8:16 tee time showed up at 8:45 and the starter went ahead and sandwiched them in which was disappointing. Second, there were several groups in front of us that were playing the tips and based on some of the drives we saw as we stood on the tees with them, they should have been playing several boxes forward. When a 3some walking is on the arse of a 3 some riding you've got problems.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of comments on Pinecrest but if you're looking for a easy to walk course with real sand in the bunkers that won't be too difficult on the pocketbook, give Pinecrest a go.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Played the very underrated Pinecrest yesterday in beautiful Huntley. The course is in really nice condition and the greens were running very quickly. One of the few courses where you didn't see unfixed ball marks and I'm guessing there were only 3-4 that were in need of fixing in addition to the ones I made. Pace was very slow (just under 4:45) which was caused by two things. First, the 8:16 tee time showed up at 8:45 and the starter went ahead and sandwiched them in which was disappointing. Second, there were several groups in front of us that were playing the tips and based on some of the drives we saw as we stood on the tees with them, they should have been playing several boxes forward. When a 3some walking is on the **** of a 3 some riding you've got problems.

>

> Doesn't seem to be a lot of comments on Pinecrest but if you're looking for a easy to walk course with real sand in the bunkers that won't be too difficult on the pocketbook, give Pinecrest a go.

I have never heard of Pinecrest until this post. The pictures online look really nice. Adding this to my list, it is tough to go out that way and drive that distance and not play Blackstone. Could be a solid 36 hole day though.

While I have had no issues at ThunderHawk, the vibe I have gotten is that if you're buddies with the guys working there, then you have special privileges. St. Jimmy, still can't believe that happened to your group.

Agree with zer0. Go to Shepherds or hell even Bonnie Brook. Just played Bonnie Brook and the greens were better there than the last five times I've played ThunderHawk. For half the price.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Looking at their page their top 5 guys are averaging 76 and lower, all with their lowest scores under par. College golf around here for a school like this can be tough and tends to lead to a bit inflated scores. When you're playing spring/fall in the midwest you often have less than ideal weather to deal with. When you head south to play events in the winter months you're often not at your best due to not being able to fully practice here due to weather. Even at a school like that you're going to need to be scratch, if not better to make the team and play. Averaging high 70's won't get it done sadly. On the flip, the kids still a junior so has plenty of time to improve and could easily have the game to be playing for them by Jr. year of college, high school aged kids can take strokes off their game like nothing.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > > Played the redesigned Baer course yesterday in addition to the Players. The routing on the Baer is basically the same although I believe nearly every green is new plus they've made more of green complexes with run off areas, etc. As you can imagine the new greens are extremely firm, rolled very fast even by Schaumburg standards and were somewhat inconsistent. Think in a year or two they'll be fine, just as it took the greens at the Preserve time to grow in completely. Many of the greens are raised now and I think they've solved the flooding problems for both the Baer and Players.

> > > > >

> > > > > They're far along on the work on the Tournament Course as well and were working yesterday. New bunkers added in some strategic places and it dawned on me looking at the par 3 third hole that our own VNutz probably made the last hole in one on that green with his Ace just before they closed the course in June. Speaking of, for the second week in a row left a tee shot on a par 3 within 2 inches of the hole. Yesterday was on #3 when a nice high 8 iron took one hop and stopped on the lip. Maybe something is coming soon.

> > > > >

> > > > > Need to add that it is SO nice to play out of bunkers with actual sand. Kudos to Schaumburg for making that investment.

> > > >

> > > > I played Schaumburg yesterday. I second your thoughts. I heard the restaurant has really good food, but I didn't try it. Love the sand on the bunkers. The course is short, but I enjoyed it.

> > > >

> > > > I got paired with a father and his two sons. One of his sons shoots in the high 70s on Addison Trails' golf team as a junior. The dad said that he can make the Loyola University golf team. That's all you have to shoot to make the team and get a scholarship? Great school if you can get a scholarship.

> > >

> > > I have a decent amount of experience with college golf/recruiting. I used to recruit for schools. While Loyala isn't a very good golf program it is still division 1. Most of their team is local, so his high school coach may have a good relationship with Loyola's coach. For most division 1 programs you need to be performing better than "high 70s". His dad may have checked some posted scores and saw players shooting in the high 70s even low 80s pretty consistently and figured his son could do that. Not realizing it is a completely different game. Loyala's best player last year averaged a 75 but had a low of 66. He averaged low 70s in high school and a high performer in AJGA. Not saying he can't walk on and maybe play in a tournament (not guaranteed), but he'd be better off going to mid level d2 if he wanted to play.

> >

> > That was the best player, though. The number 4 guy probably shoots mid to high 70s.

>

> Looking at their page their top 5 guys are averaging 76 and lower, all with their lowest scores under par. College golf around here for a school like this can be tough and tends to lead to a bit inflated scores. When you're playing spring/fall in the midwest you often have less than ideal weather to deal with. When you head south to play events in the winter months you're often not at your best due to not being able to fully practice here due to weather. Even at a school like that you're going to need to be scratch, if not better to make the team and play. Averaging high 70's won't get it done sadly. On the flip, the kids still a junior so has plenty of time to improve and could easily have the game to be playing for them by Jr. year of college, high school aged kids can take strokes off their game like nothing.

This is a great point. These kids play in the worst weather and spend all winter hitting into nets. Not easy at all.

> @TheBear95 said:

> While I have had no issues at ThunderHawk, the vibe I have gotten is that if you're buddies with the guys working there, then you have special privileges. St. Jimmy, still can't believe that happened to your group.

>

> Agree with zer0. Go to Shepherds or **** even Bonnie Brook. Just played Bonnie Brook and the greens were better there than the last five times I've played ThunderHawk. For half the price.

We hadn't played Thunderhawk yet and although it's been a few years, we played Shepherds numerous times.

Just wanted to try something new.

Worst part was when the single left after nine. I felt rejected... lol.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Question for the group

I’ve never played harborside, and made a tee time for 920 this coming Saturday morning

When should i expect to finish?

Is 4 hours a completely unrealistic expectation? 4.5? Or am I most likely looking at 5+ hours?

The course look tough enough to result in long rounds

I have to be back in the city, grant park area before mid-afternoon

Thinking I should bail and play somewhere else where I could maybe start earlier

Even thinking of going up to canal shores

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> Question for the group

> I’ve never played harborside, and made a tee time for 920 this coming Saturday morning

> When should i expect to finish?

> Is 4 hours a completely unrealistic expectation? 4.5? Or am I most likely looking at 5+ hours?

> The course look tough enough to result in long rounds

> I have to be back in the city, grant park area before mid-afternoon

>

> Thinking I should bail and play somewhere else where I could maybe start earlier

> Even thinking of going up to canal shores

>

>

To finish in 4 hours you have to tee off before 7:30 am. You're probably looking at a 4.5 hour round.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @geochitown said:

> > Question for the group

> > I’ve never played harborside, and made a tee time for 920 this coming Saturday morning

> > When should i expect to finish?

> > Is 4 hours a completely unrealistic expectation? 4.5? Or am I most likely looking at 5+ hours?

> > The course look tough enough to result in long rounds

> > I have to be back in the city, grant park area before mid-afternoon

> >

> > Thinking I should bail and play somewhere else where I could maybe start earlier

> > Even thinking of going up to canal shores

> >

> >

>

> To finish in 4 hours you have to tee off before 7:30 am. You're probably looking at a 4.5 hour round.

Thanks, Arg

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @mci711 said:

> Can anyone comment on the quality of the range at Village Links of Glen Ellyn? Was planning on hitting the range this afternoon, which I rarely do, and it is a little closer than Cantigny.

It's okay. Grass is usually longer than fairway tight.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]