Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Played both Saturday and Sunday at Turnberry in Lakewood. The highlight was seeing someone ace the 8th hole, the low light is pretty much everything else.

If you wanted to practice hitting out of the rough, the range there is perfect for you. Shaggy just isn't the name of the guy who owned Scooby Doo it's the range, too. Turnberry takes second place only to Oak Grove in terms of the quality of crappy range balls and BTW, you get 12 balls/token. The course layout isn't bad but the maintenance is sorely lacking. Goose poop everywhere, the fairways in need of mowing, greens hadn't been cut for a couple of days, bunkers had weeds growing in them because they were just basically dirt, etc. with no work done on them. 3 of the par 3's were actually great holes with creative shots needed. Pace Saturday was great at 3:45 but Sunday was nearly 4:45 because the music blasting group in front of us took nearly 20 minutes at the turn. The pins hadn't been moved from Sat to Sunday so you can imagine what the areas around the cups looked like. The architect did a nice job with routing the course and incorporating the natural terrain. It's just sad that they're doing the minimum amount to maintain the course.

Turnberry is clearly a money grab. No price break for walking and the entire staff both days was the high school kid at the check in counter (can't call that a pro shop), the bartender who was more interested in talking to her friends than actually tending bar and the guy cooking. No starter, clearly no ranger, no one doing any maintenance on the course. At the very most, this is a once a year course based on the cost and conditions which is sad because it could be much more.

Played Marengo Ridge yesterday. For $38 on a Sunday morning, you really can't beat it. I was sad that they have removed the telescope on the 12th hole, one of my favorite holes in all of golf. Greens were in perfect condition, but slow. Rest of the course was fine, I don't go there expecting Blackstone conditions. That would be a fun 36 hole day though considering the courses are five minutes apart.

> @sma said:

> @DavePelz4 that's unfortunate. i keep seeing ads from them advertising how great the place is and i was planning on playing a round there one of these weekends coming up. now i'll have to skip.

With some effort put into maintenance, it could be a fun course. There is some nice variety in the holes, great doglegs, and as mentioned, I like the par 3's. The 17th hole is a par 5 and there are trees there that are a serious risk because of the dead branches that could fall at any time. They need to be trimmed as someone could get hurt.

We were paired up with 2 wonderfully nice brothers yesterday and one was a member. He plays it because he lives off the 12th hole and was so gracious that after we finished 12, he went and got beers/waters for everyone. He said since they went public, these are the "normal" conditions which again is really sad. I'd play it once a year possibly but we scouted it for one of our events and there are so many better options for a more appropriate price.

Shepherd's Crook yesterday. Course was in pristine condition as usual. Pace of play was pretty bad. Nearly a 5 hour round despite not a lot of people on the course. Twosome we played with were so slow. They were practicing for golf trip and doing a 2 man scramble. The idea of getting ready to hit a shot was foreign to them. They took a very long time to even get out of the cart and grab a club. My buddy was walking and he would get to his ball and hit before these guys would even get out of their cart and hit a ball. But, the 4some in front of us was pretty slow too so it's not like it even mattered how long the guys we were with were taking.

I switched my driver from regular size to mid size grip. did that with irons this year and like it. Did not go well with the driver. Worst driving day of the year, 4/14 fairiways and 4 mishits that went 20 feet. Gonna give it one more round with the mid size to see if that was just a bad day by me. Ended up with an 88 with a stretch of 7 over for 3 holes in a row on the back.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @sma said:

> > @DavePelz4 that's unfortunate. i keep seeing ads from them advertising how great the place is and i was planning on playing a round there one of these weekends coming up. now i'll have to skip.

>

> With some effort put into maintenance, it could be a fun course. There is some nice variety in the holes, great doglegs, and as mentioned, I like the par 3's. The 17th hole is a par 5 and there are trees there that are a serious risk because of the dead branches that could fall at any time. They need to be trimmed as someone could get hurt.

>

> We were paired up with 2 wonderfully nice brothers yesterday and one was a member. He plays it because he lives off the 12th hole and was so gracious that after we finished 12, he went and got beers/waters for everyone. He said since they went public, these are the "normal" conditions which again is really sad. I'd play it once a year possibly but we scouted it for one of our events and there are so many better options for a more appropriate price.

Told ya it was not a great course. I said the course itself was meh, but you liked that part of it and hated everything else. Oh well, same result. Sorry it turned out that way.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

almost 1.5 inches or rain from this storm in gurnee, crikey.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @sma said:

> > > @DavePelz4 that's unfortunate. i keep seeing ads from them advertising how great the place is and i was planning on playing a round there one of these weekends coming up. now i'll have to skip.

> >

> > With some effort put into maintenance, it could be a fun course. There is some nice variety in the holes, great doglegs, and as mentioned, I like the par 3's. The 17th hole is a par 5 and there are trees there that are a serious risk because of the dead branches that could fall at any time. They need to be trimmed as someone could get hurt.

> >

> > We were paired up with 2 wonderfully nice brothers yesterday and one was a member. He plays it because he lives off the 12th hole and was so gracious that after we finished 12, he went and got beers/waters for everyone. He said since they went public, these are the "normal" conditions which again is really sad. I'd play it once a year possibly but we scouted it for one of our events and there are so many better options for a more appropriate price.

>

> Told ya it was not a great course. I said the course itself was meh, but you liked that part of it and hated everything else. Oh well, same result. Sorry it turned out that way.

You called it. There were 2 holes that didn't make a lot of sense. The par 5 13th hole's green didn't fit in with every other green on the course. It's tiny, minimal bunkering, and it sits in an odd place. I asked the member we played with Sunday if that was the original green and he said yes. The next hole which is the par 3 is a bit wacky too.

> @sma said:

> Can anyone suggest three or four courses to play in western Lake county or McHenry county? My foursome is looking to play various courses in September after our permanent time expires this weekend.

> I'm suggesting Stonewall Orchard but need a few more to suggest to the group.

Boone Creek, Chalet Hills, Foxford Hills, Chapel Hill, RedTail, Steeple Chase, Randal Oaks, Crystal Woods. None of them are going to win any awards, but they're decent.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @sma said:

> > Can anyone suggest three or four courses to play in western Lake county or McHenry county? My foursome is looking to play various courses in September after our permanent time expires this weekend.

> > I'm suggesting Stonewall Orchard but need a few more to suggest to the group.

>

> Boone Creek, Chalet Hills, Foxford Hills, Chapel Hill, RedTail, Steeple Chase, Randal Oaks, Crystal Woods. None of them are going to win any awards, but they're decent.

>

Two nice choices in line with Stonewall would be Blackstone and Pine Meadow.

> @sma said:

> Can anyone suggest three or four courses to play in western Lake county or McHenry county? My foursome is looking to play various courses in September after our permanent time expires this weekend.

> I'm suggesting Stonewall Orchard but need a few more to suggest to the group.

If you haven't played Oak Grove in Harvard, give it a go. 17 of the best holes in Chicago.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @sma said:

> > Can anyone suggest three or four courses to play in western Lake county or McHenry county? My foursome is looking to play various courses in September after our permanent time expires this weekend.

> > I'm suggesting Stonewall Orchard but need a few more to suggest to the group.

>

> If you haven't played Oak Grove in Harvard, give it a go. 17 of the best holes in Chicago.

Yeah, I am not really a fan of hole #6 either ;)

> @Shriner said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @sma said:

> > > Can anyone suggest three or four courses to play in western Lake county or McHenry county? My foursome is looking to play various courses in September after our permanent time expires this weekend.

> > > I'm suggesting Stonewall Orchard but need a few more to suggest to the group.

> >

> > If you haven't played Oak Grove in Harvard, give it a go. 17 of the best holes in Chicago.

>

> Yeah, I am not really a fan of hole #6 either ;)

Oak Grove is ok, but if one of you are a CDGA member, you can play Bull Valley as a 4 some for $400.

pretty sweet opportunity.

Or use boxgroove and play Kemper Lakes.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @zer0 said:

> Shepherd's Crook yesterday. Course was in pristine condition as usual. Pace of play was pretty bad. Nearly a 5 hour round despite not a lot of people on the course. Twosome we played with were so slow. They were practicing for golf trip and doing a 2 man scramble. The idea of getting ready to hit a shot was foreign to them. They took a very long time to even get out of the cart and grab a club. My buddy was walking and he would get to his ball and hit before these guys would even get out of their cart and hit a ball. But, the 4some in front of us was pretty slow too so it's not like it even mattered how long the guys we were with were taking.

>

> I switched my driver from regular size to mid size grip. did that with irons this year and like it. Did not go well with the driver. Worst driving day of the year, 4/14 fairiways and 4 mishits that went 20 feet. Gonna give it one more round with the mid size to see if that was just a bad day by me. Ended up with an 88 with a stretch of 7 over for 3 holes in a row on the back.

surprised the ranger wasn't more active on this slow-mo situation. we've never played a round there on a weekend when a marshal didn't check in or at least, drive past us during a round.

fwiw, when any equipment changes, I like to get out alone. play another ball. try a different foot position. something.

let your head and body get into it without the added factor of people around.

best to you.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I'm heading to beautiful Toledo this Friday. I'll play four or five rounds. At this point I have confirmed tee times at Maumee Bay, Bedford Hills, and Red Hawk Run, and I'll walk on to Legacy, and Giant Oak.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> I'm heading to beautiful Toledo this Friday. I'll play four or five rounds. At this point I have confirmed tee times at Maumee Bay, Bedford Hills, and Red Hawk Run, and I'll walk on to Legacy, and Giant Oak.

I've played Red Hawk Run a few years ago. Nice course. Thought the front 9 was very solid.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @iconick said:

> Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

45 minutes on a weekday afternoon, or Saturday morning? The northern suburban courses are decent, i.e. Wilmette, Glencoe, Glenview Park, and Sportmans. All are under $60 to walk. I live in River North, and it took me 20 minutes to drive to Wilmette this past Sunday. I finished my 11:30 am, and it was a 40 minute trip back to River North.

Robert Black is an OK nine hole course 4 miles from Wrigley.

Village Links this Saturday. Hopefully rain holds off.

In other news....

evze5cbiesxc.jpg

EDIT: I deleted my original attachment accidentally when editing.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

> @zer0 said:

> > @iconick said:

> > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

>

> Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Shriner said:

> I know this can depend on many factors, but what is your opinion on the average number of putts a good golfer takes per round (solely counting putting strokes on the green). Let's say roughly a 0-10 handicap golfer...

A 5 handicap hits ~7 greens in regulation. A solid putter will 2 putt each green, and possibly birdie one or two while having one three putt. Let's call it 14 putts. The same golfer has a scrambling percentage of 30% to 35% (3/11 saves). By comparison the worst pro on the PGA is at 51%. That's 3 putts for the saves, and 16 putts for the other eight holes. That's 33 putts.

MySolfSpy ([https://mygolfspy.com/2016-report-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/](https://mygolfspy.com/2016-report-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/ "https://mygolfspy.com/2016-report-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/")) used data from TheGrint app (20,000 golfers and 400,000 scores), and the 1-5 bracket averaged 32.6 putts, and the 6-10 bracket averaged 33.7.

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @zer0 said:

> > > @iconick said:

> > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> >

> > Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

> He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

>

There aren't too many times in the day when you can get to any of those places from Lakeview in under 45 minutes though. Not unless you catch traffic when it is light. Weekend mornings would work, but on the way home you could be looking at an hour.

> @Symphonize said:

> > @B-Man said:

> > Hopefully rain holds off.

> >

>

> Really hoping for that too. Playing Kemper Lakes Saturday for the first time. Doesn’t look like that course needs anymore water.

They really take the word Lakes seriously out there.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @zer0 said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > > @zer0 said:

> > > > @iconick said:

> > > > Anyone have suggestions on some decent courses that are less than a 45 minute drive from Lake View and under $60? Playing the Diversey Driving Range

> > >

> > > Sadly, Edgebrook might be the only answer to this question.

> > He said “decent course.” Edgebrook gets immediately disqualified. Off 41/94, Glenview Park, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Deerfield, and Sportsman’s all fit the criteria. In the South suburbs, Ravisloe is a stellar Donald Ross course, and, depending on traffic, sometimes you can get to Mt. Prospect and Schaumburg in about 40-60 minutes off of 90. Some will be over $60 with a cart but they’re all super walkable. The Diversey Range is convenient but if you want to hit off grass I recommend the ranges at DesPlaines Golf Center, Deerfield or the Glen Club.

> >

>

> There aren't too many times in the day when you can get to any of those places from Lakeview in under 45 minutes though. Not unless you catch traffic when it is light. Weekend mornings would work, but on the way home you could be looking at an hour.

Totally agree. I try not to factor in the return trip. I just expect it to take twice as long as it took to get there. The pickings are slim if it’s gotta be 45 minutes or less both ways. Jackson Park, Joe Louis, Chick Evans, Glenview Park and Indian Boundary are all that come to mind.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II