2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

re: Medinah,

I walked the course Tuesday, watched practice at different spots and greens were receptive for high trajectory shots. lots of roll out. the place seems well set up. yes, those guys are good.

it's a gorgeous place, the Mighty Medinah.

BTW, heard General Admission ticket price does not include parking. bummer.

65 is the ticket price, plus another 20 online for the lot.

looking forward to my role there until ~~they make me leave~~ the tournament ends.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Re: Medinah.... my buddy signed up for volunteering and was picked for “transport”. First passenger on Sunday - Vaughn Taylor and family - O’Hare to Westin, where apparently most of the players are staying.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @stasek said:

> Re: Medinah.... my buddy signed up for volunteering and was picked for “transport”. First passenger on Sunday - Vaughn Taylor and family - O’Hare to Westin, where apparently most of the players are staying.

Makes sense. I think just about everybody stayed at the Westin Lombard for the Ryder Cup. They were all hanging out at the bowling alley in Yorktown Mall, which I think is gone now.

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> > @zer0 said:

> > final day of 3 day playoff tonight at Sportsman for after work league. Format is best ball tonight. My partner and I are 2 up in gross and 2 back in net. Matched up vs the team ahead of us in net. Email trash talking between the teams has been steady all week so should be a lot of fun tonight.

>

> best wishes and hope you play heck out of it. between work and all else going on we've been lucky to get in weekend morning games there. almost tossed a shag bag in the truck to use on the office lawn at lunchtime. shame to let all this good weather go without striking a shot.

Thanks, but unfortunately (and not at all surprisingly) I choked like a champ last night. Been playing the best golf of my life the last 2 months, even shot a 74 at Lawsonia 5 days ago, my 2nd 74 of the year. Last night, I put up a smooth 52 on the front nine at Sportsman. My partner played great and we ended up 2nd place gross overall out of about 45 teams. I thought we were in first gross coming in, but there was a team in a different division that was ahead of us. We ended up 2 strokes behind them with me not contributing anything.

> @mci711 said:

> Pretty amazing to watch these guys make Medinah, a course known as one of the toughest in the area, look so easy. Just about the entire field is par or better currently. Playing a different game than us.

Amazing. I had the same talk with my buddy after the 06 PGA. He caddied there for years and was disappointed in how everybody just blitzed the course and made it look so easy. Mark Rolfing was on the Score this morning talking about Medinah and how tough it should play this week due to the length, the thick rough and the softer conditions after the rain the past few days, so I figured things might be different. Guess not.

> @VNutz said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Pretty amazing to watch these guys make Medinah, a course known as one of the toughest in the area, look so easy. Just about the entire field is par or better currently. Playing a different game than us.

>

> Amazing. I had the same talk with my buddy after the 06 PGA. He caddied there for years and was disappointed in how everybody just blitzed the course and made it look so easy. Mark Rolfing was on the Score this morning talking about Medinah and how tough it should play this week due to the length, the thick rough and the softer conditions after the rain the past few days, so I figured things might be different. Guess not.

Justin Thomas 65 is like a +15 handicap difference. ?‍♂️ Unreal. Honestly length doesn't even matter anymore not sure how they make it hard and not have players b*tch about it.

> @mci711 said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > Pretty amazing to watch these guys make Medinah, a course known as one of the toughest in the area, look so easy. Just about the entire field is par or better currently. Playing a different game than us.

> >

> > Amazing. I had the same talk with my buddy after the 06 PGA. He caddied there for years and was disappointed in how everybody just blitzed the course and made it look so easy. Mark Rolfing was on the Score this morning talking about Medinah and how tough it should play this week due to the length, the thick rough and the softer conditions after the rain the past few days, so I figured things might be different. Guess not.

>

> Justin Thomas 65 is like a +15 handicap difference. ?‍♂️ Unreal. Honestly length doesn't even matter anymore not sure how they make it hard and not have players b*tch about it.

Exactly, they can make these courses play harder but then the pros will say it is unfair (maybe rightfully so). If 7600 yards does not impact their scores, then they would have to resort to the other methods. Take Medinah for instance. They purposely cut the fairway rough two days ago as I was watching; it is not long. Grow the rough out and narrow the fairways and all of a sudden par would be a great score for them, but the players will absolutely have an issue with it. They could also convert two of the par 5's to par 4's. Honestly, I am fine with the way it is, par is only a number and everyone knows how tough Medinah is. Just makes it that much more enjoyable and impressive to watch them shoot these scores.

> @Shriner said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @VNutz said:

> > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > Pretty amazing to watch these guys make Medinah, a course known as one of the toughest in the area, look so easy. Just about the entire field is par or better currently. Playing a different game than us.

> > >

> > > Amazing. I had the same talk with my buddy after the 06 PGA. He caddied there for years and was disappointed in how everybody just blitzed the course and made it look so easy. Mark Rolfing was on the Score this morning talking about Medinah and how tough it should play this week due to the length, the thick rough and the softer conditions after the rain the past few days, so I figured things might be different. Guess not.

> >

> > Justin Thomas 65 is like a +15 handicap difference. ?‍♂️ Unreal. Honestly length doesn't even matter anymore not sure how they make it hard and not have players b*tch about it.

>

> Exactly, they can make these courses play harder but then the pros will say it is unfair (maybe rightfully so). If 7600 yards does not impact their scores, then they would have to resort to the other methods. Take Medinah for instance. They purposely cut the fairway rough two days ago as I was watching; it is not long. Grow the rough out and narrow the fairways and all of a sudden par would be a great score for them, but the players will absolutely have an issue with it. They could also convert two of the par 5's to par 4's. Honestly, I am fine with the way it is, par is only a number and everyone knows how tough Medinah is. Just makes it that much more enjoyable and impressive to watch them shoot these scores.

it's fair rough - not too long, a tad thick and somewhat sticky.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > @VNutz said:

> > > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > Pretty amazing to watch these guys make Medinah, a course known as one of the toughest in the area, look so easy. Just about the entire field is par or better currently. Playing a different game than us.

> > > >

> > > > Amazing. I had the same talk with my buddy after the 06 PGA. He caddied there for years and was disappointed in how everybody just blitzed the course and made it look so easy. Mark Rolfing was on the Score this morning talking about Medinah and how tough it should play this week due to the length, the thick rough and the softer conditions after the rain the past few days, so I figured things might be different. Guess not.

> > >

> > > Justin Thomas 65 is like a +15 handicap difference. ?‍♂️ Unreal. Honestly length doesn't even matter anymore not sure how they make it hard and not have players b*tch about it.

> >

> > Exactly, they can make these courses play harder but then the pros will say it is unfair (maybe rightfully so). If 7600 yards does not impact their scores, then they would have to resort to the other methods. Take Medinah for instance. They purposely cut the fairway rough two days ago as I was watching; it is not long. Grow the rough out and narrow the fairways and all of a sudden par would be a great score for them, but the players will absolutely have an issue with it. They could also convert two of the par 5's to par 4's. Honestly, I am fine with the way it is, par is only a number and everyone knows how tough Medinah is. Just makes it that much more enjoyable and impressive to watch them shoot these scores.

>

> it's fair rough - not too long, a tad thick and somewhat sticky.

>

I am ok with what the players call "unfair" rough. You should be penalized for missing the fairway, the game is supposed to be played in there. Grow it out, make players take their medicine and hack it into the fairway. I'm all for good iron play and accuracy off the tee winning.

shot above is the iconic clubhouse, these are a look over the lake not far from number three fairway and couple shots of number fourteen from three hundred yards out.

emfdb7j8zwpe.jpg

y8xlyzwgjwgy.jpg

6r8hkmjxbvg6.jpg

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Played Medinah #3 few years ago (before the redesign). They didn’t have the tournament tees setup, but the back tees played around 7100-7200. Had a 15’ putt on 9 for 36, only to 3 jack it for 38. Respectable.... Played ok from then on, until the “Sergio hole”. Snap hook deep into the trees resulted in the triple.... couple more bad holes, and I was relatively happy with an 82.

Now back to regular folk golf.... Played Old Oak this afternoon. After leaving work early to make it on time (30+guys, first come, first serve tee times), had a cart come back from the middle of 1st fairway to pick me up. Piped the wrx-worthy 300+ drive down the middle, only to chunk an 8 iron (165 left to the flag) into the green side bunker. Par... 3- putted 8/9 for smooth 2-over 38. Not bad. Played ok on the back, with an almost hole in one on 16th. Ball hit right in front of the hole, and rolled 12” past, missing the hole by not more than couple inches. Oh well.... Birdie, par, par finish for 36 on back for overall 74. Not too bad, but it could have been much better. Course tee to green is decent, but the greens were pretty hairy/slow, and quite bumpy (understandable, since we teed off at 2). Sportsman on Saturday. I think I played it few years ago, but can’t remember a single hole....

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Just got back from 3 weeks in the Great Southern Land. Spent some time at my brothers place in Beaumaris which backs on to Royal Melbourne. Presidents Cup there in a few months and the course is shaping up nicely.

Playing this Monday at Midlothian. Any tips?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

> @B-Man said:

> Just got back from 3 weeks in the Great Southern Land. Spent some time at my brothers place in Beaumaris which backs on to Royal Melbourne. Presidents Cup there in a few months and the course is shaping up nicely.

>

> Playing this Monday at Midlothian. Any tips?

The home of the 400 yard par 4s.... Haven’t played there this year, but the greens are usually in great shape and fast. As usual, stay below the pin... 14 is definitely driveable, if the wind cooperates. All pat 5s are reachable in 2.

• Like 1

Looks like we could get a little wet tomorrow morning and afternoon.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I played a twilight round at Stonewall Orchard today. The course was playing fast and firm and the greens had some good pace to them. There were some puddles in bunkers so I’m guessing they got some recent rain. I started okay but didn’t make any birdies on 1-5. I could’ve used that after bogies on 6, 7 and 8. I birdied 16 and 17 and scrambled to save par on 18 to shoot 35 on the back. 74.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

A nice morning at Renwood. The front 9 is an old school parkland layout with tiny greens. The back is a newer marshland layout with larger greens. The conditions were very good. Fairways were a bit shaggy. Can't argue with the 1:50 pace. I played through three groups, and then it was clear sailing. Nice way to start a weekend.

Solid round. I made the turn at even par with two birdies and two bogies, but the back played much tougher. Three sloppy bogies on the back. No complaints though.

Getting ready to tee off at Chapel Hill. The course looks nice.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> A nice morning at Renwood. The front 9 is an old school parkland layout with tiny greens. The back is a newer marshland layout with larger greens. The conditions were very good. Fairways were a bit shaggy. Can't argue with the 1:50 pace. I played through three groups, and then it was clear sailing. Nice way to start a weekend.

>

> Solid round. I made the turn at even par with two birdies and two bogies, but the back played much tougher. Three sloppy bogies on the back. No complaints though.

>

> Getting ready to tee off at Chapel Hill. The course looks nice.

>

I saw you coming off of 9 I believe. My dad and I were making the turn onto #1 and we had teed off when I realized it was you. The hat gave it away. haha. Glad you enjoyed the round and pace! Always quick if you get off before 7am. After that, you're usually at the 4:30 mark.

I had nothing on the schedule today and leave for vacation tomorrow (non golfing). I kept today open since I was an alternate in a foursome playing at Chicago Highlands today. The guy who was unsure if he could make it was able to make so that was a big time let down since I'm itching to play and I bailed on my normal 4some for a shot in the dark, although with storms hanging around right now it looks like that wouldn't have worked out either. Might see what's open around me this afternoon if the weather holds out.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Another fun round at Chapel Hill. Interesting piece of terrain. It's a short course, but the par 5 17th is a beast. The greens are tiny, no surprise. Condions of the greens were very good, but the fairways were ragged in spots. Plenty of weeds, too. The course was fairly crowded, so I was surprised that I got around in 3:15. Sweet.

Another solid front nine at one over with a birdie. Two over on the back. I was running out of gas. Highlight had to be the par on the 17th. It was only playing 665 yds today. A nice drive, and two decent fairway woods left me a full sand wedge into the postage stamp sized green. I caught the edge of the cup on my 9 ft putt, and it curled in. Lol. The hole is a bit comical, but hey, it's not like you play it every day. It is a bit dangerous with the blind shots.

Fun day. I'm glad I avoided the rain, and I have plenty of time to find a good margarita.

Cost-effective day in Wisconsin today with Ives Grove and Prairie Woods. Ives was excellent. We walked it in 2 and a half hours, it was in really good shape (no puddles or massive dead spots) and the greens were smooth. My ball striking was very good and wedges bailed me out when necessary but I only had one birdie to show for it, on the second hole. 73.

Prairie Woods had the makings of a 5 hour death march after the front nine took 2 and a half hours. For that to happen on a course that short is insane. Lots of really, really bad golf and even worse etiquette. Thankfully they let us through at the turn and we ended up finishing in 4:15. Again, my ball striking was great but PWoods is a target golf course and clean strikes can, and often did, leave me blocked out. One birdie, also on the second hole, but lots of attempts that rolled over the edge or came up just short. One of those rounds. 75.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @B-Man said:

> Just got back from 3 weeks in the Great Southern Land. Spent some time at my brothers place in Beaumaris which backs on to Royal Melbourne. Presidents Cup there in a few months and the course is shaping up nicely.

>

> Playing this Monday at Midlothian. Any tips?

I'm a member there. Course is currently in fantastic shape. Definitely stay below the hole...especially on 1. If the tee is middle tier, and you are above it...3 putts at least.

• Like 1

Sportsman this afternoon. Got off to a terrible start (5 over after 5), but figured some things out (couple back to back spiked Arnold Palmers may or may not have helped). 41 on front, and even par 35 on back for another bleh 76. The rains stayed mostly to the south, and the course while somewhat wet was actually in pretty good shape. The greens were rolling above average speed wise (for a public course, at least), but the areas around pins were pretty chewed up by foot traffic.

Well, that was interesting. First visit to Boone Creek in Bull Valley. 'Definitely a more interesting layout than the "sod farm" I was expecting. I played the Creek and Prairie nines. The Creek is part parkland, part marshland. Short with a few doglegs, and a number of hazards. One keeps the driver in the bag on a handful of holes. The Prairie is just that, a fairly wide prairie style layout with a scattering of trees. It's all fairly flat, but it's by no means boring. I didn't get a chance to check out the Valley nine, but my hunch is that it's a more interesting set of holes. The greens were quite large, and in excellent shape. The fairways and teeboxes were recently plugged, so less than ideal.

I went off as a single on Creekside with nobody in front of me. I was hoping to beat the rain, but rumblings above starting on the 4th hole foretold of things to come. As I approached the 8th green all he** broke loose. In hindsight I should have made a dash for the clubhouse on the 7th hole, but being greedy I wound up sitting under a tree for 30 minutes getting cold and wet. The rain came down in buckets, and the wind made sure that the tree wasn't going to do much good to keep things dry. I'd say a good inch of rain fell. After the storm passed the course was basically a sloppy mess. There was standing water on most fairways and greens. 'Probably should have called it a day, but since it's unlikely I'll be up that way any time soon, I slogged on. With the delay I finished in 2:40, so at least it wasn't an entire morning being wet.

I had a nice round going on the front until the storm blew in. I made the turn at two over. With the waterlogged fairways there was pretty much no rollout on the Prairie nine, and I wound up with four more bogies after hitting hybrids and woods into most greens. The greens were almost too wet to get the ball to the hole. Oh well, it was a fun weekend nonetheless. Pace of play has been fairly good this year, but this weekend was the cat's meow.

Well got married yesterday, played Seven Bridges in the morning with my Brother, Cousin and Brother in law. Had the first tee time of the day, we played in 3 hours and had great weather. Had a 5 footer on 9 for eagle and a 34 on the front, settled for 35. Shot a 74 total. Hitting the ball well. We leave tomorrow for our honeymoon in Scotland. We have the line up for the week starting at The Glen, North Berwick, St Andrews Old Course, Kingsbarns, new course and castle course. The following week will be in Greece and it will be a full week of no golf. It will be the longest stretch of days with no golf since March, I hope I make it ?.

• Like 3