2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Arg

SKIP Lakemoor

You’re welcome

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

I'm debating if I want to play this weekend. The last couple rounds I've played have taken the steam and interest out of playing so I've just been hitting the range and working on my swing issues.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @zer0 said:

> > @taylorx300 said:

> > Arg

> > SKIP Lakemoor

> > You’re welcome

>

> :D Arg doesn't skip golf courses.

>

> Go ahead and put 18 flags in any random field and I guarantee Arg will be there within 3 weeks asking for the first tee time of the day.

>

>

Lol. Sad, but true. In the seemingly never ending quest to play all the public courses in Chicago, the goat tracks have to get played at some point.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

for those of you that wear UV sleeves - Solar Sleeves, do you find them a benefit ?

I was asked to work a few extra shifts next week at the BMW and realized I'll be out there for five days in full sun.

sunblock and a wide hat is planned as I'll be greenside or first drop in the fairway on alternate days.

temps will be in the eighties. thinking about some added arm protection.

thanks in advance for recommendations.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @Argonne69 said:

> Bridges of Poplar Creek on Saturday, and Deerpath on Sunday. I decided to take a week off from my long summer journey to far flung courses that I haven't played.

>

> I'll continue the quest the following week with three rounds in the McHenry/Lake county area (Boone Creek, Chapel Hill, and Lakemoor or Renwood).

>

-Chapel Hill is in good shape (for Chapel). Short course that's protected by deep rough, over hanging trees, and tiny greens. There was some flood damage on 11-14, but it's not too bad.

It's a nice change of pace course that's an easy walk and has a decent variety of holes. Keep your head on a swivel as the balls are flying from all directions.

-Boone Creek is a rotating three nines that all feel like the same hole to me (especially the middle and east courses). Hopefully the west nine is part of the 18 when you play. The greens were always a pleasant surprise in the past.

-I grew up playing Renwood. It was only nine holes when I was a kid and they really feel like two different courses. Imo, the south nine is a lot better than the north.

DO NOT PLAY LAKEMOOR.

You might step in a sink hole and never be seen from again. It's a swamp. You'll lose balls that plug in the fairway. Wear boots.

FYI-

-Fox Lake Country Club reopened a couple months ago and the new owners let you walk. It's not in the best shape yet, but worth it if you're going to be a few blocks away at Chapel. An interesting course that has a lot of elevation changes. It's pretty long and has a few unfair bunker locations, but worth checking out if it's still on your list.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> for those of you that wear UV sleeves - Solar Sleeves, do you find them a benefit ?

> I was asked to work a few extra shifts next week at the BMW and realized I'll be out there for five days in full sun.

> sunblock and a wide hat is planned as I'll be greenside or first drop in the fairway on alternate days.

> temps will be in the eighties. thinking about some added arm protection.

> thanks in advance for recommendations.

Yes, very beneficial. They're not hot, but rather have a cooling effect.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Play the 9 holes at Pistakee rather than Lakemoor

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

> @Argonne69 said:

> Bridges of Poplar Creek on Saturday, and Deerpath on Sunday. I decided to take a week off from my long summer journey to far flung courses that I haven't played.

>

> I'll continue the quest the following week with three rounds in the McHenry/Lake county area (Boone Creek, Chapel Hill, and Lakemoor or Renwood).

>

BOPC has been in really good shape this year. There's a little issue behind the green on 12, but other than that it's been as good as it's been in the past few years. The green on 10 that they completely rebuilt a few years ago is lightning quick.

Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

> @ME27 said:

> Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

> Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

I love the layout there. But you are right, they have good rates and that causes over play which leads to dicey conditions. 15 is the 1 hole I would change there. Between the layout of it and that green it is not a good one. It would never happen but I wish public courses would take 1 day a week for maintenance. It could go a long way having a couple guys go out and fix all of the ball marks and have a day of no play. But that is throwing money away.

> @mci711 said:

> > @ME27 said:

> > Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

> > Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

>

> I love the layout there. But you are right, they have good rates and that causes over play which leads to dicey conditions. 15 is the 1 hole I would change there. Between the layout of it and that green it is not a good one. It would never happen but I wish public courses would take 1 day a week for maintenance. It could go a long way having a couple guys go out and fix all of the ball marks and have a day of no play. But that is throwing money away.

'Still makes one wonder why the f*ck players don't fix their ball marks, or any other ball mark for that matter? Is it really that difficult to bend over and spend ten seconds inserting a divot tool or tee in the ground? Everybody like to kvetch about course conditions, but if everyone chipped in the greens would be top notch on the vast majority of courses.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @ME27 said:

> > > Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

> > > Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

> >

> > I love the layout there. But you are right, they have good rates and that causes over play which leads to dicey conditions. 15 is the 1 hole I would change there. Between the layout of it and that green it is not a good one. It would never happen but I wish public courses would take 1 day a week for maintenance. It could go a long way having a couple guys go out and fix all of the ball marks and have a day of no play. But that is throwing money away.

>

> 'Still makes one wonder why the f*ck players don't fix their ball marks, or any other ball mark for that matter? Is it really that difficult to bend over and spend ten seconds inserting a divot tool or tee in the ground? Everybody like to kvetch about course conditions, but if everyone chipped in the greens would be top notch on the vast majority of courses.

Drives me crazy. I fix probably 5 on every hole I play. Just no way to police it unfortunately and way too many lazy a**holes out there.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @ME27 said:

> > > Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

> > > Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

> >

> > I love the layout there. But you are right, they have good rates and that causes over play which leads to dicey conditions. 15 is the 1 hole I would change there. Between the layout of it and that green it is not a good one. It would never happen but I wish public courses would take 1 day a week for maintenance. It could go a long way having a couple guys go out and fix all of the ball marks and have a day of no play. But that is throwing money away.

>

> 'Still makes one wonder why the f*ck players don't fix their ball marks, or any other ball mark for that matter? Is it really that difficult to bend over and spend ten seconds inserting a divot tool or tee in the ground? Everybody like to kvetch about course conditions, but if everyone chipped in the greens would be top notch on the vast majority of courses.

I agree. It was crowded out there yesterday so i had some downtime to fix plenty of ball marks on each green. Shouldnt be that difficult but people are lazy.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

A huge majority of players do not own divot repair tools, do not understand how to fix ball marks, or are not aware it is a courtesy/player responsibility. I am in the extreme minority of high handicap golfers i know that would ever do that.

Im a low 20s handicap. How many others post in this thread? A handful at most? The course is jammed with guys of my skill. Ive been lucky to have a regular playing partner teach and reinforce etiquette over the years, the huge majority dont have that or dont care.

Like some of your opinions on carts and alcohol, unrepaired ball marks are a necessary evil for public courses. Every public course in the country would fold without poor golfers who drive carts, drink beer, and do not help maintain the course. I can see why you'd be frustrated but you should not be surprised.

> @Quem24 said:

> A huge majority of players do not own divot repair tools, do not understand that they should fix ball marks, or are not aware it is a courtesy/player responsibility. I am in the extreme minority of high handicap golfers i know that would ever do that.

>

> Im a low 20s handicap. How many others post in this thread? A handful at most? The course is jammed with guys of my skill. Ive been lucky to have a regular playing partner teach and reinforce etiquette over the years, the huge majority dont have that or dont care.

>

> Like some of your opinions on carts and alcohol, unrepaired ball marks are a necessary evil for public courses. Every public course in the country would fold without poor golfers who drive carts, drink beer, and do not help maintain the course. I can see why you'd be frustrated but you should not be surprised.

All pro shops should have ball mark fixers at the counter for free. A decent amount of courses do this, they are cheap, and I am sure they help even just a little bit.

> @Quem24 said:

> A huge majority of players do not own divot repair tools, do not understand how to fix ball marks, or are not aware it is a courtesy/player responsibility. I am in the extreme minority of high handicap golfers i know that would ever do that.

>

> Im a low 20s handicap. How many others post in this thread? A handful at most? The course is jammed with guys of my skill. Ive been lucky to have a regular playing partner teach and reinforce etiquette over the years, the huge majority dont have that or dont care.

>

> Like some of your opinions on carts and alcohol, unrepaired ball marks are a necessary evil for public courses. Every public course in the country would fold without poor golfers who drive carts, drink beer, and do not help maintain the course. I can see why you'd be frustrated but you should not be surprised.

Another 20+ handicapper! Glad I’m not the only one here. Always fixing ball marks and try to get my playing partners too

> @mci711 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > @ME27 said:

> > > > Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

> > > > Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

> > >

> > > I love the layout there. But you are right, they have good rates and that causes over play which leads to dicey conditions. 15 is the 1 hole I would change there. Between the layout of it and that green it is not a good one. It would never happen but I wish public courses would take 1 day a week for maintenance. It could go a long way having a couple guys go out and fix all of the ball marks and have a day of no play. But that is throwing money away.

> >

> > 'Still makes one wonder why the f*ck players don't fix their ball marks, or any other ball mark for that matter? Is it really that difficult to bend over and spend ten seconds inserting a divot tool or tee in the ground? Everybody like to kvetch about course conditions, but if everyone chipped in the greens would be top notch on the vast majority of courses.

>

> Drives me crazy. I fix probably 5 on every hole I play. Just no way to police it unfortunately and way too many lazy a**holes out there.

I think it's more ignorance than laziness. Golfers who aren't very good rarely hit the green as it is. When they do, I don't think it even registers in their mind that there is a ball mark somewhere on the green that is their responsibility. Unless the ball mark is right next to their ball in which case I still put it at about 50% chance the bad golfer will put 2 and 2 together and realize that they caused the ball mark.

• Like 1

> @zer0 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @ME27 said:

> > > > > Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Course has seen better days, greens were shaggy and it seems like a ball mark hasnt been repaired on any of the greens all year. Pretty good round 2 birdies 6 bogeys for a 76. On the par 5 15th i had 115 into the green after my drive put it into the middle of the green and proceeded to 3 putt for par lol oh well.

> > > > > Playing Ridge Country Club this weekend, have never played there so we will see how it is.

> > > >

> > > > I love the layout there. But you are right, they have good rates and that causes over play which leads to dicey conditions. 15 is the 1 hole I would change there. Between the layout of it and that green it is not a good one. It would never happen but I wish public courses would take 1 day a week for maintenance. It could go a long way having a couple guys go out and fix all of the ball marks and have a day of no play. But that is throwing money away.

> > >

> > > 'Still makes one wonder why the f*ck players don't fix their ball marks, or any other ball mark for that matter? Is it really that difficult to bend over and spend ten seconds inserting a divot tool or tee in the ground? Everybody like to kvetch about course conditions, but if everyone chipped in the greens would be top notch on the vast majority of courses.

> >

> > Drives me crazy. I fix probably 5 on every hole I play. Just no way to police it unfortunately and way too many lazy a**holes out there.

>

> I think it's more ignorance than laziness. Golfers who aren't very good rarely hit the green as it is. When they do, I don't think it even registers in their mind that there is a ball mark somewhere on the green that is their responsibility. Unless the ball mark is right next to their ball in which case I still put it at about 50% chance the bad golfer will put 2 and 2 together and realize that they caused the ball mark.

>

>

My experience has been that the very expensive courses have as big a problem with unrepaired ball marks as the low cost munis. Ignorance, or a sense of entitlement? 'Same goes with unraked bunkers. It seems some players believe that if they're paying over $100 for a round a magic pixie comes out and rakes the bunkers.

> @Quem24 said:

> A huge majority of players do not own divot repair tools, do not understand how to fix ball marks, or are not aware it is a courtesy/player responsibility. I am in the extreme minority of high handicap golfers i know that would ever do that.

>

>

You can fix them with a tee, every golfer has those. Golf seems to be the only sport somebody can not have a clue about rules and etiquette yet go play. Information is more available than ever, ignorance is no excuse in 2019. If you're not fixing ball marks you're just effing lazy.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Does anyone see rangers going around in the evening repairing ball marks with the large stand up tools anymore? I'll admit I rarely get out for twilight anymore, but when I do I never see it. When I was working at at golf courses when I was a teenager (small muni's) I used to go around each night I worked to repair the greens. The Rangers at the same course had a repair tool in the cart that they went around with at night before we closed. Not sure why courses don't do this anymore.

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > A huge majority of players do not own divot repair tools, do not understand how to fix ball marks, or are not aware it is a courtesy/player responsibility. I am in the extreme minority of high handicap golfers i know that would ever do that.

> >

> > Im a low 20s handicap. How many others post in this thread? A handful at most? The course is jammed with guys of my skill. Ive been lucky to have a regular playing partner teach and reinforce etiquette over the years, the huge majority dont have that or dont care.

> >

> > Like some of your opinions on carts and alcohol, unrepaired ball marks are a necessary evil for public courses. Every public course in the country would fold without poor golfers who drive carts, drink beer, and do not help maintain the course. I can see why you'd be frustrated but you should not be surprised.

>

>

> You can fix them with a tee, every golfer has those. Golf seems to be the only sport somebody can not have a clue about rules and etiquette yet go play. Information is more available than ever, ignorance is no excuse in 2019. If you're not fixing ball marks you're just effing lazy.

>

Agree. Claiming ignorance is just plain silly, no matter the player's handicap. Unless a player is entirely new to the game, anyone that has been on the course more than a handful of times knows to fix his or her ball marks. Almost every course has "fix your ball marks, replace your divots" on their scorecard (many in bold print).

A big key to fixing the problem is to ensure that the first groups of the day fix their ball marks. If they don't, the problem quickly spirals.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @Quem24 said:

> > > A huge majority of players do not own divot repair tools, do not understand how to fix ball marks, or are not aware it is a courtesy/player responsibility. I am in the extreme minority of high handicap golfers i know that would ever do that.

> > >

> > > Im a low 20s handicap. How many others post in this thread? A handful at most? The course is jammed with guys of my skill. Ive been lucky to have a regular playing partner teach and reinforce etiquette over the years, the huge majority dont have that or dont care.

> > >

> > > Like some of your opinions on carts and alcohol, unrepaired ball marks are a necessary evil for public courses. Every public course in the country would fold without poor golfers who drive carts, drink beer, and do not help maintain the course. I can see why you'd be frustrated but you should not be surprised.

> >

> >

> > You can fix them with a tee, every golfer has those. Golf seems to be the only sport somebody can not have a clue about rules and etiquette yet go play. Information is more available than ever, ignorance is no excuse in 2019. If you're not fixing ball marks you're just effing lazy.

> >

> Agree. Claiming ignorance is just plain silly, no matter the player's handicap. Unless a player is entirely new to the game, anyone that has been on the course more than a handful of times knows to fix his or her ball marks. Almost every course has "fix your ball marks, replace your divots" on their scorecard (many in bold print).

>

> A big key to fixing the problem is to ensure that the first groups of the day fix their ball marks. If they don't, the problem quickly spirals.

we usually play at sunrise on Saturday and repair the Friday night league's dimples. our group knows how to replace divots, use sand mix, groom a bunker and mend greens. as members here have pointed out, a tee can be sufficient when no other implements are at hand. I don't think I've ever met a player that didn't own something good enough to repair a ball mark. Imperial had a special edition set of hats earlier this year for the GCSAA that had Fix Your Divots on the front.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @tmw1582 said:

> Does anyone see rangers going around in the evening repairing ball marks with the large stand up tools anymore? I'll admit I rarely get out for twilight anymore, but when I do I never see it. When I was working at at golf courses when I was a teenager (small muni's) I used to go around each night I worked to repair the greens. The Rangers at the same course had a repair tool in the cart that they went around with at night before we closed. Not sure why courses don't do this anymore.

I think I've seen it once in ten years. I was the first one out as a single, and I passed the guy doing it.

I played Balmoral Woods and Palmira today. Really good conditions at Balmoral. The fairways were playing very firm and the greens and tee boxes were both ultra smooth. I was the second person out so I was playing with the maintenance crew on the course. One person was going around with the stand-up tool repairing ball marks, so it still happens at some places. They have a pretty large maintenance budget there and it shows in the overall quality of the course. I birdied 9 and 14 and bogied 6, 8, and 15 for a 73. Pretty good day of ball striking but I choked away a chance at shooting even with the bogey on 15 and didn't really have a decent look at birdie on the last 3 holes.

Palmira was in okay shape for a $25 course. I repaired about three ball marks on every green but, given the age and - ahem - girth of the clientele there, I didn't expect anything else. The fairways have been getting watered while the rough has browned out, so I was able to hit some balls that stayed just off the fairway and really rolled out. It shortened up the course a bit and 6900 yards felt more like 6700. I opened and closed my round with birdies and bogied 8, 13, 15, and 17. Two of the four bogies came on holes where I was playing through groups and just tried to play as fast as possible. So it goes. 74.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @tmw1582 said:

> > Does anyone see rangers going around in the evening repairing ball marks with the large stand up tools anymore? I'll admit I rarely get out for twilight anymore, but when I do I never see it. When I was working at at golf courses when I was a teenager (small muni's) I used to go around each night I worked to repair the greens. The Rangers at the same course had a repair tool in the cart that they went around with at night before we closed. Not sure why courses don't do this anymore.

>

> I think I've seen it once in ten years. I was the first one out as a single, and I passed the guy doing it.

I've thought about buying one of those and just going out and fixing as many as I can. Fixing ball marks is actually oddly satisfying.

> @ldchristopher said:

> I played Balmoral Woods and Palmira today. Really good conditions at Balmoral. The fairways were playing very firm and the greens and tee boxes were both ultra smooth. I was the second person out so I was playing with the maintenance crew on the course. One person was going around with the stand-up tool repairing ball marks, so it still happens at some places. They have a pretty large maintenance budget there and it shows in the overall quality of the course. I birdied 9 and 14 and bogied 6, 8, and 15 for a 73. Pretty good day of ball striking but I choked away a chance at shooting even with the bogey on 15 and didn't really have a decent look at birdie on the last 3 holes.

>

> Palmira was in okay shape for a $25 course. I repaired about three ball marks on every green but, given the age and - ahem - girth of the clientele there, I didn't expect anything else. The fairways have been getting watered while the rough has browned out, so I was able to hit some balls that stayed just off the fairway and really rolled out. It shortened up the course a bit and 6900 yards felt more like 6700. I opened and closed my round with birdies and bogied 8, 13, 15, and 17. Two of the four bogies came on holes where I was playing through groups and just tried to play as fast as possible. So it goes. 74.

You can really tell the courses where it still happens. I just can't understand why every course does not do it. I mean I worked at Fountain Hills in Alsip, which was a 9 hole Park District course and we did it every night. A place like Ruffled Feathers and Cog Hill have no excuse IMO.

> @mci711 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @tmw1582 said:

> > > Does anyone see rangers going around in the evening repairing ball marks with the large stand up tools anymore? I'll admit I rarely get out for twilight anymore, but when I do I never see it. When I was working at at golf courses when I was a teenager (small muni's) I used to go around each night I worked to repair the greens. The Rangers at the same course had a repair tool in the cart that they went around with at night before we closed. Not sure why courses don't do this anymore.

> >

> > I think I've seen it once in ten years. I was the first one out as a single, and I passed the guy doing it.

>

> I've thought about buying one of those and just going out and fixing as many as I can. Fixing ball marks is actually oddly satisfying.

For sure! It is especially satisfying with one of those tools. I really liked doing it back in the day.