Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @TheBear95 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Booked my rounds for this weekend. Bear Slide in Cicero, IN for Saturday morning, and Coyote Crossing in West Lafayette on the way home Sunday morning.

> > >

> > > Have you played Bear Slide before?

> >

> > No, it'll be my first visit.

> >

> Interested in your take. I thought the course was a little bipolar. The front is quite open and long. However, you make the turn and all of sudden it gets narrow and you need to be pretty precise off the tee. Dont get me wrong, it has some lovely holes, but it reminded me somewhat of ThunderHawk in that regard.

I didn’t get a Thunderhawk vibe, but all the modern courses in Indy that advertise themselves as being “links-style” in certain portions seem to be code for, “we went crazy with bulldozers to create uneven lies everywhere and have mounds on top of mounds.” Is it links? No, more like modern prairie. However, on the back you go into the woods and those holes are laid out quite well. I remember really enjoying the back nine.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Just finished my round at Calumet. It's a pretty good course. Greens were in good shape as we're the tee boxes. Not sure I'd make the 40 min drive south to play it yearly when there are much better courses within 40 minutes of me in the north west. I've seen a lot of ravisloe comparisons a few people say it is better. I didn't feel that way at all. That's like comparing Trubisky to Mahomes. ? just kidding Calumet wasn't that bad.

> @sma said:

> Is Thunderhawk worth a 45 minute drive and $90 to play?

Yes, I'd say so. For years it was ranked in the top 10 public courses in the state. Worth playing at least once. Shepherds Crook is also worth a trip up there.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @mci711 said:

> Just finished my round at Calumet. It's a pretty good course. Greens were in good shape as we're the tee boxes. Not sure I'd make the 40 min drive south to play it yearly when there are much better courses within 40 minutes of me in the north west. I've seen a lot of ravisloe comparisons a few people say it is better. I didn't feel that way at all. That's like comparing Trubisky to Mahomes. ? just kidding Calumet wasn't that bad.

We may have been paired together at calumet yesterday if you played about 2:40-2:50. Mike?

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

> @ME27 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Just finished my round at Calumet. It's a pretty good course. Greens were in good shape as we're the tee boxes. Not sure I'd make the 40 min drive south to play it yearly when there are much better courses within 40 minutes of me in the north west. I've seen a lot of ravisloe comparisons a few people say it is better. I didn't feel that way at all. That's like comparing Trubisky to Mahomes. ? just kidding Calumet wasn't that bad.

>

> We may have been paired together at calumet yesterday if you played about 2:40-2:50. Mike?

Yes! Mark a presume? I enjoyed meeting and playing with you!

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @sma said:

> > Is Thunderhawk worth a 45 minute drive and $90 to play?

>

> Yes, I'd say so. For years it was ranked in the top 10 public courses in the state. Worth playing at least once. Shepherds Crook is also worth a trip up there.

>

>

I'd agree it's worth the money and that drive to play Thunderhawk (Have you verified that they haven't aerated or verticut the greens?)

Shepherds and Thunderhawk are a great 36 hole combo if you can swing it.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

quick report.

Had a buddy play at Bonnie Brook on Tuesday.

He said it was his first time playing there in 20 years, and he liked it a lot.

Course was in great condition, traps raked with sand in them, greens rolling fast (they purchased a new roller and use it).

I'll have to get over there and play it at some point.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @mci711 said:

> > @ME27 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > Just finished my round at Calumet. It's a pretty good course. Greens were in good shape as we're the tee boxes. Not sure I'd make the 40 min drive south to play it yearly when there are much better courses within 40 minutes of me in the north west. I've seen a lot of ravisloe comparisons a few people say it is better. I didn't feel that way at all. That's like comparing Trubisky to Mahomes. ? just kidding Calumet wasn't that bad.

> >

> > We may have been paired together at calumet yesterday if you played about 2:40-2:50. Mike?

>

> Yes! Mark a presume? I enjoyed meeting and playing with you!

Yep. Same here.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

> @geochitown said:

> quick report.

> Had a buddy play at Bonnie Brook on Tuesday.

> He said it was his first time playing there in 20 years, and he liked it a lot.

> Course was in great condition, traps raked with sand in them, greens rolling fast (they purchased a new roller and use it).

> I'll have to get over there and play it at some point.

>

I concur with your buddies thoughts. Bonnie Brook is in great shape. Played it twice in the last month, best I've seen the greens there.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @sma said:

> > > Is Thunderhawk worth a 45 minute drive and $90 to play?

> >

> > Yes, I'd say so. For years it was ranked in the top 10 public courses in the state. Worth playing at least once. Shepherds Crook is also worth a trip up there.

> >

> >

> I'd agree it's worth the money and that drive to play Thunderhawk (Have you verified that they haven't aerated or verticut the greens?)

> Shepherds and Thunderhawk are a great 36 hole combo if you can swing it.

ThunderHawk no longer punches, they do verticutting and top dressing. They claim that doesn't hinder green conditions, but that's bs. I've played there after they have top-dressed and the greens were slow.

Sma, if you want to play ThunderHawk, do it soon. They usually close-up shop there very early in the fall (like Oct. 15th). Significantly earlier than other area courses.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I’d be tempted to play Bull Valley with the CDGA tee time program

TM TP5x

> @MountainKing said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > @tmw1582 said:

> > > > > @MountainKing said:

> > > > > > @tmw1582 said:

> > > > > > Last weekend we had a guys trip to Gull View Lake. The courses were pretty forgettable and the accommodations were as well. There is also nowhere to get a decent meal on site. I can't believe a golf "resort" would not have a bigger clubhouse with a better bar/restaurant. Seems like a missed opportunity to me to make some money after dark. We ended up Ubering into Kalamazoo. One course that did stand out was Stoatin Brae. I really enjoyed that course. Fun, wide open links layout with some great views.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Played in a work outing at Crystal Tree yesterday and I'm playing there again tomorrow afternoon. The course is in pretty great shape even though they aerated a couple weeks ago.

> > > > >

> > > > > I stopped making the trip up there last year and our group ended their 30 year run there this year. The price continues to go up while the accommodations go down. Unfortunately they seem to still have no issues packing the place during the year so there's probably no real motivation to fix anything. We generally got in 5 rounds in the 3 days we were there and with the current pricing we've been able to figure out how to make similar trips within a reasonable drive of Chicago to play better courses for less money. South was always my favorite up there, Stoatin was still new when we played it, they upcharged our rate to play it and the course was shaggy and in awful condition. They honestly should have been embarrassed up charging a long time group for the condition it was in, but again since they pack the place they really don't care. I'm sure our group not going up there this year didn't impact them at all.

> > > >

> > > > There was nothing memorable about the 4 courses we played aside from Stoatin, which again I really enjoyed.

> > > > I'm new to the group playing but I know at least a couple of the guys feel the same way I do. Do you mind telling me what other Midwest resorts you've hit up that allow for as many rounds and similar pricing?

> > >

> > > That last sentence is the problem. If you're looking for a resort with unlimited golf at the rates they charge, you won't find it. Gull Lake is all about convenience, and it's hard to find something just like it in the midwest. The more expensive it gets, the less interested we are in the convenience, it was a great place to go when our trips were under $300. If you're willing to get creative and "motel 6" it, you have a ton of options. The big thing is dropping the "unlimited" from the mindset, at the end of the day there's only so much golf you can play between daylight and your body.

> > >

> > > Golf outside of the Chicagoland tends to run a lot cheaper than what you get in our area. Pick an area, pick a cheap hotel (you only use it for sleep anyway) and then find enough courses to fill your day/s. The key is to play the morning rounds at the cheaper courses and hit twilight up for the pricier courses.

> > >

> > > This year we did a trip to Indy

> > > Purgatory - $60

> > > Prairie View - $49 (twilight)

> > > The Trophy Club - $39

> > > Kampen Course - $49 (twilight)

> > >

> > > We price lined our room for $55 per room which came out to about $35 per person after taxes and what not. So for around $235ish we had a one night stay with 4 rounds of golf, we actually didn't end up playing Kampen but this was the initial itinerary. We could have done 1 more night with 2 more rounds and end up around the $400 mark which is pretty close to what you end up paying at Gull Lake for courses that aren't that great. As a group, we've decided even if it's another $150-200, if we're playing better courses it's worth it. You also have much better food options ect. It all depends how much extra leg work you want to do.

> >

> > This. ^ I can’t stress this enough. If resort golf is your thing, more power to you. I get it; for some extra cash the facility will take care of everything. No excess driving, no worries about possible traffic between rounds, no concerns about dining options. Just a flat rate. However, we’ve found that if we book something like, for example, the Wyndham at $60-70 per night, we can go up to Grand Rapids and play Thornapple Pointe ($45ish on a weekday), Pilgrim’s Run ($60), Hemlock ($30-45 depending on whether you want to walk or ride) and Hawkshead ($55). That’s four courses that are all, in my opinion, significantly better than anything at Gull Lake for under $200.

>

> The driving isn't that bad if you pick the hotel wisely. At Gull Lake you still have to drive to get to 4 of the courses, I know they're not far, but you're still loading the car up and having to go. The more I think about it, it's actually not that much more work. You still have to call Gull Lake, book the room, book your tee times at all the courses ect. Now that GL costs what it costs, we just can't justify continually going up there.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think that's the issue. These guys are used to playing at a resort. I think I may still do it next year. I still had a good time, but if I want a real golf resort experience I'm going to have to do it at a real resort and pay real resort prices. I think a smaller group of ours is going to do Sand Valley in the spring. Still in the middle of nowhere (for the most part) but the resort has good food and drinking options. Grand Geneva is a good option too (I did this with a few guys this year) and was not that much more than Gull Lake. Its less golf but way more options after golf.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Trekking to the Groves of Oak on Saturday morning for 17 fun holes of golf.

Bring the spay. They ate me alive last night.

After the 7, 8, 9 corner they had me running for the car.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Just finished a round at Cinder Ridge. I've been wanting to cross it off the list for awhile. I drive by it every time I drive to St Louis.

Interesting place. Paid like 15 bucks and the lady gave me a logo ball. I liked the back 9, really felt like you were away from civilization. Didn't care for the trailer park lined front 9. Shape wise it was better than $15. Not great, greens didn't have a ton of grass on them and tee boxes were a little shaggy. The lady at counter was super friendly though. Checked it off the list, I'd probably play it over heritage bluffs down that way. ki7l9dkvlr7b.jpg

> @Quem24 said:

> > @greg said:

> > Played Cinder Ridge yesterday morning. Course is in great shape except some of the tee boxes are getting beat up and a few greens are showing stress. In a few place though there are swarms of huge bees that appear to nest in the ground. Anyone know what these are? Pushed my approach on #14 (the uphill hole) to the right and the ball was right in the middle of a swarm - no way I could get to it, so I gave myself relief. ;-)

>

> Nothing like small town feel golf with a decent course to boot. Earlier this year i played a solo round there with storms threatening everywhere.

>

> The nice lady, probably around 70 insisted i just pay for 9 to start. I came in after 9 to pay for the other 9 and she said to just keep going for now since it was about to rain. Which it did, i played through it for a bit and then it stopped. I came in after to pay after the round and she just says Ahh, dont worry about it.

>

> Stuff you dont see closer to the city!

My favorite staff member of the year by far. Greg chimed in her name is Judy. Ill be back, as i also reguarly trek to St Louis.

Agree with your assessment of the course as well.

> @mci711 said:

> Just finished a round at Cinder Ridge. I've been wanting to cross it off the list for awhile. I drive by it every time I drive to St Louis.

>

> Interesting place. Paid like 15 bucks and the lady gave me a logo ball. I liked the back 9, really felt like you were away from civilization. Didn't care for the trailer park lined front 9. Shape wise it was better than $15. Not great, greens didn't have a ton of grass on them and tee boxes were a little shaggy. The lady at counter was super friendly though. Checked it off the list, I'd probably play it over heritage bluffs down that way. ki7l9dkvlr7b.jpg

>

I think Cinder is decent. Not a lot of courses were designed by a restaurant owner who had never tried his hand at course architecture before, so that’s something. A handful of people on here were really talking it up about a year ago. I wouldn’t call it a gem or anything but it’s always a good value and they keep the place in pretty good shape.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Just finished a round at Cinder Ridge. I've been wanting to cross it off the list for awhile. I drive by it every time I drive to St Louis.

> >

> > Interesting place. Paid like 15 bucks and the lady gave me a logo ball. I liked the back 9, really felt like you were away from civilization. Didn't care for the trailer park lined front 9. Shape wise it was better than $15. Not great, greens didn't have a ton of grass on them and tee boxes were a little shaggy. The lady at counter was super friendly though. Checked it off the list, I'd probably play it over heritage bluffs down that way. ki7l9dkvlr7b.jpg

> >

> I think Cinder is decent. Not a lot of courses were designed by a restaurant owner who had never tried his hand at course architecture before, so that’s something. A handful of people on here were really talking it up about a year ago. I wouldn’t call it a gem or anything but it’s always a good value and they keep the place in pretty good shape.

>

I never knew that back story. That is cool. I agree though, not great, but worth the price. It's a much better value than a lot of places

Walked 36 today, early morning round at Bonnie Brook, and agree with the posters above, it was in great shape and the greens were rolling true. Then went up to Shepherds Crook for the afternoon, the fairways were in decent shape but the greens were a little beat up, but still rolling alright. It was a beautiful day out there today, hopefully the falls continues on this path of nice weather.

Some random thoughts, albeit maybe a bit late on a couple:

* Orchard Valley is punching the greens next Mon & Tue if it doesn't rain too much before then

* Is Thunderhawk worth a 45 minute drive and $90 to play? - Yes...fun course and phenomenal condition.

* Springbrook & Naperbrook have some rates kicking in this weekend, along with some golf shop sales if you're looking for gear

* Not Chicago, but finally got out to Wild Rock in the Dells yesterday - whadda nice course! More posted in the WI thread

* Supposed to play George Dunne with a buddy around mid-day today, but it doesn't look like the weather is gonna cooperate...moving to next Tue or Fri

> @Quem24 said:

> > @Quem24 said:

> > > @greg said:

> > > Played Cinder Ridge yesterday morning. Course is in great shape except some of the tee boxes are getting beat up and a few greens are showing stress. In a few place though there are swarms of huge bees that appear to nest in the ground. Anyone know what these are? Pushed my approach on #14 (the uphill hole) to the right and the ball was right in the middle of a swarm - no way I could get to it, so I gave myself relief. ;-)

> >

> > Nothing like small town feel golf with a decent course to boot. Earlier this year i played a solo round there with storms threatening everywhere.

> >

> > The nice lady, probably around 70 insisted i just pay for 9 to start. I came in after 9 to pay for the other 9 and she said to just keep going for now since it was about to rain. Which it did, i played through it for a bit and then it stopped. I came in after to pay after the round and she just says Ahh, dont worry about it.

> >

> > Stuff you dont see closer to the city!

>

> My favorite staff member of the year by far. Greg chimed in her name is Judy. Ill be back, as i also reguarly trek to St Louis.

>

> Agree with your assessment of the course as well.

If you ever stop in between cities to play I'd check out Metamora Fields. It is a little bit out of the way, but I highly suggest it. I really enjoyed it, fun lay out and was in great condition when I was there.

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Just finished a round at Cinder Ridge. I've been wanting to cross it off the list for awhile. I drive by it every time I drive to St Louis.

> >

> > Interesting place. Paid like 15 bucks and the lady gave me a logo ball. I liked the back 9, really felt like you were away from civilization. Didn't care for the trailer park lined front 9. Shape wise it was better than $15. Not great, greens didn't have a ton of grass on them and tee boxes were a little shaggy. The lady at counter was super friendly though. Checked it off the list, I'd probably play it over heritage bluffs down that way. ki7l9dkvlr7b.jpg

> >

> I think Cinder is decent. Not a lot of courses were designed by a restaurant owner who had never tried his hand at course architecture before, so that’s something. A handful of people on here were really talking it up about a year ago. I wouldn’t call it a gem or anything but it’s always a good value and they keep the place in pretty good shape.

>

I've never played there (just Heritage Bluffs once).

Is that one of the eponymous cinder filled bunkers on the right, or a cart path?

Are the cart paths made of cinders also?

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > Just finished a round at Cinder Ridge. I've been wanting to cross it off the list for awhile. I drive by it every time I drive to St Louis.

> > >

> > > Interesting place. Paid like 15 bucks and the lady gave me a logo ball. I liked the back 9, really felt like you were away from civilization. Didn't care for the trailer park lined front 9. Shape wise it was better than $15. Not great, greens didn't have a ton of grass on them and tee boxes were a little shaggy. The lady at counter was super friendly though. Checked it off the list, I'd probably play it over heritage bluffs down that way. ki7l9dkvlr7b.jpg

> > >

> > I think Cinder is decent. Not a lot of courses were designed by a restaurant owner who had never tried his hand at course architecture before, so that’s something. A handful of people on here were really talking it up about a year ago. I wouldn’t call it a gem or anything but it’s always a good value and they keep the place in pretty good shape.

> >

> I've never played there (just Heritage Bluffs once).

> Is that one of the eponymous cinder filled bunkers on the right, or a cart path?

> Are the cart paths made of cinders also?

>

Bunkers are sand. When originally opened, they actually did use coal in bunkers.

15 hcp

That's what I recalled!

I had forgotten/wasn't aware of the switch from coal cinders to sand.

TM TP5x

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @mci711 said:

> >

> >

>

Not disagreeing but for me, I think it's cool. Where else can you go play golf and talk to the owner in the clubhouse? George actually listens to his customers and so the course has been improved a lot over time. I actually played there the first day it opened - you paid greens fees inside a construction trailer, and the credit card machine wasn't working right so who knows how many free rounds were give out that day? LOL! Anyway, that course on the first day was a bitch with trees in the middle of fairways, coal tailings in bunkers that would rip the chrome off your wedges, etc. Good times! But the staff was and still is the friendliest around.