2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Forgot to add but if you want a course that’s more like Michigan, Thunderhawk had those vibes. Greens will be a touch or two slower and you might walk off thinking you could pay less for a similar course but I enjoy it. A few dumb holes but otherwise a decent layout. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

My buddy that plays out of Stonehenge is moving out of state end of year so me and another guy went down yesterday to play his place and wish him best of luck.  Nice day to play.   $65 with a cart is a tad high for that place but whatever....   I took last weekend off so was feeling a little uncomfortable over the ball and just a bit "off".   Not a good place to be with your game on the front nine there.   I really don't like the target golf on a few of the holes on that nine.  Conditions were good, greens running pretty true.   My yardages were off just enough to find 6 greenside bunkers during the round.   Ended up with 4 double bogies due to lost balls and a couple of topped hybrids off the tee on some unforgiving holes.   4 lipped out putts cemented the deal.  Somehow I ended up shooting 80 from the tips ( 43-37 ) but that is the second time playing out there and just haven't had much luck.  Now that my friend is leaving, I am pretty sure I won't be going out of my way to play there again, but do think there are some interesting holes out there.  4 hours is a great pace on a Sunday for a 9:15 tee time. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Played Oak Grove and Red Tail yesterday.

We do Oak Grove every year as part of our 36 hole day...I honestly am not sure what some of you are referring to as far as conditions!  Fairways were great, greens were wonderful.  You could definitely nitpick some of the bunkers that were washed out and the 11th tee box is a disaster, but otherwise very nice conditions.  $57 on a Sunday morning.  The tree on hole 10 is really blocking the tee shot at this point.  Luckily I play a draw otherwise you could not hit that tee shot in the fairway.  There is basically one easy hole (#17) and everything else just beats you up on this course.   Holes 2 and 13 and flat out brutal yet I still leave with a smile every time I play here.

First time at RedTail...loved the course.  Very fair layout and conditions were very good.  I did not like the blind approach to an island green on hole 10 but I guess I should not have layed up so far back.  Pace was slow but with the awesome weather, it was a very enjoyable day.

• Like 1

Looking for a couple of suggestions in the area - I tend to play the same tracks a lot. 

I play Cantigny (All combos), Mistwood, Oak Brook GC, Cog (#2 and #4), Preserve, and Willow Crest pretty frequently. Kind of burned out on them. Played Elgin Highlands, Thunderhawk, Glen Club, 7 Bridges, Ravisloe and a few others (EVCC, Highlands Club, Royal Melbourne) this summer, but looking for something new. 

I've got Whisper Creek, Bowes Creek, Stonewall Orchard and Coyote Run on the hit list. Anything else I should consider? Prairie Landing? I am willing to drive.

Edited by RGlaze978
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, reperna said:

Hey everyone. Michigander here. Visiting a buddy in aurora in a couple weeks and we’re looking to play somewhere fun. Deer run has zero tee times available for some reason. I’ve played coghill 4, and wouldn’t mind another crack at it. My buddy mentioned Stonewall orchard. Is that a pretty comparable course? Thanks for the info!

Cantigny and Prairie Landing are both close to Aurora and excellent.  I also really like Stonewall, but that will be a drive.  

20 minutes ago, RGlaze978 said:

Looking for a couple of suggestions in the area - I tend to play the same tracks a lot. 

I play Cantigny (All combos), Mistwood, Oak Brook GC, Cog (#2 and #4), Preserve, and Willow Crest pretty frequently. Kind of burned out on them. Played Elgin Highlands, Thunderhawk, Glen Club, 7 Bridges, Ravisloe and a few others (EVCC, Highlands Club, Royal Melbourne) this summer, but looking for something new. 

I've got Whisper Creek, Bowes Creek, Stonewall Orchard and Coyote Run on the hit list. Anything else I should consider? Prairie Landing? I am willing to drive.

Blackstone

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 11:48 AM, AUTIGER07 said:

We lived in Buffalo Grove for ~5 years and I played Arboretum 1x during the 1st year and never went back. Hated the course and had a bad experience with the staff (similar to yours but not as bad). 

The only good thing about Arboretum Club is that it is ~1 mile from Bonta and Real Urban BBQ.

had the same experience at Arboretum.  One time and then never again.

Good rx on Bonta.  LOVE that place.

You lose some cred with the Real Urban BBQ rex though.  That place is absolute garbage and shouldn't be allowed to call itself a BBQ place.  Just a horrible chain restaurant.

That said, I think the nearest good BBQ to there is Big Ed's in Waukegan.  Not a lot of BBQ options in the northern suburbs.

59 minutes ago, RGlaze978 said:

Definitely add Prairie Landing to the list. Great track.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

39 minutes ago, zer0 said:

You lose some cred with the Real Urban BBQ rex though.  That place is absolute garbage and shouldn't be allowed to call itself a BBQ place.  Just a horrible chain restaurant.

That said, I think the nearest good BBQ to there is Big Ed's in Waukegan.  Not a lot of BBQ options in the northern suburbs.

On RUB to be fair I haven't eaten there in 6 years. I used to go to the one in Highland Park but I see where that closed a while back. If it's gone downhill that's a shame as their brisket and turkey used to be really solid.

Agree on Ed's. Good place.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

4 hours ago, Shriner said:

We do Oak Grove every year as part of our 36 hole day...I honestly am not sure what some of you are referring to as far as conditions!  Fairways were great, greens were wonderful.  You could definitely nitpick some of the bunkers that were washed out and the 11th tee box is a disaster, but otherwise very nice conditions.  $57 on a Sunday morning.  The tree on hole 10 is really blocking the tee shot at this point.  Luckily I play a draw otherwise you could not hit that tee shot in the fairway.  There is basically one easy hole (#17) and everything else just beats you up on this course.   Holes 2 and 13 and flat out brutal yet I still leave with a smile every time I play here.

First time at RedTail...loved the course.  Very fair layout and conditions were very good.  I did not like the blind approach to an island green on hole 10 but I guess I should not have layed up so far back.  Pace was slow but with the awesome weather, it was a very enjoyable day.

And you get to see someone with a bottle of Jagermeister (not a shot, a bottle) sitting at the bar at 9:30AM.  There actually was a bartender this year or I would have surmised he just went back there and helped himself!

18 hours ago, mci711 said:

Yup "you never play big run" works just fine. 

Don't agree with that, take conditions and normal 6 hour round out of the equation, it's one of the best layouts in IL. I wish it would get bought and given a bit of a redesign/make over, there's some awesome and tough holes on that course. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

4 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

My buddy that plays out of Stonehenge is moving out of state end of year so me and another guy went down yesterday to play his place and wish him best of luck.  Nice day to play.   $65 with a cart is a tad high for that place but whatever....   I took last weekend off so was feeling a little uncomfortable over the ball and just a bit "off".   Not a good place to be with your game on the front nine there.   I really don't like the target golf on a few of the holes on that nine.  Conditions were good, greens running pretty true.   My yardages were off just enough to find 6 greenside bunkers during the round.   Ended up with 4 double bogies due to lost balls and a couple of topped hybrids off the tee on some unforgiving holes.   4 lipped out putts cemented the deal.  Somehow I ended up shooting 80 from the tips ( 43-37 ) but that is the second time playing out there and just haven't had much luck.  Now that my friend is leaving, I am pretty sure I won't be going out of my way to play there again, but do think there are some interesting holes out there.  4 hours is a great pace on a Sunday for a 9:15 tee time. 

It's for sure not a great value if you're a guest, although $65 on a Sunday won't get you on much of anything decent in the Chicago region.  Stonehenge won't win any awards, but it's still a fun course, good condition and pace of play is always great there.  Even tho I'm 45-50 minutes away I keep my membership, as a member you can play all day since it's a daily fee.  Can normally get 36 in there in about 6-7 hours for $50. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, zer0 said:

Real Urban in Oak Brook was great until they were taken over by Famous Daves...hasn't been the same.  For BBQ up north BBQ Productions in Lake Zurich is pretty solid. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

4 hours ago, RGlaze978 said:

have you played Shepherds Crook (Zion), White Deer Run (Vernon Hills), Steeplechase (Mundelein), Foxford Hills (Cary)

Bowes and Stonewall are solid.  I’d pass on Whisper Creek personally.

Blackstone is good.

try a round at Sunset Valley in Highland Park.  Small footprint but excellent walkable layout and great green complexes and fairway bunkering.  A real home run or a renovation by Jacobson for Highland Park park district.

edit to add two:

Mt Prospect

Schaumburg GC 

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Don't agree with that, take conditions and normal 6 hour round out of the equation, it's one of the best layouts in IL. I wish it would get bought and given a bit of a redesign/make over, there's some awesome and tough holes on that course. 

If the owners have it their way, the course will be redesigned into a massive sea of vinyl siding and cookie cutter homes.  For a preview of what’s most likely to come, drive by Gleneagles… 

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

7 hours ago, Shriner said:

Redtail is underrated and one of my favorites. I play there on Tuesdays and have always liked it. That 10th hole has gotten me a few times especially when they start us on the back nine. I’ve kind of learned if I don’t drive to the top of the hill or I’m not feeling my iron swing yet I just layup to the edge of the fairway and just take a 4 or 5. I use a similar strategy on 16 also.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

BBQ productions is awesome. 3 locations Lake Zurich, Third Lake and Kenosha. The 7 meat chefs platter is the way to go - meat coma.

• Like 1
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

7 hours ago, VNutz said:

Is it open again? They shut down during covid and I assumed wouldn't return.

They did open again.   They shut down prior to Covid.  It was all really bizarre. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

19 hours ago, MountainKing said:

It's for sure not a great value if you're a guest, although $65 on a Sunday won't get you on much of anything decent in the Chicago region.  Stonehenge won't win any awards, but it's still a fun course, good condition and pace of play is always great there.  Even tho I'm 45-50 minutes away I keep my membership, as a member you can play all day since it's a daily fee.  Can normally get 36 in there in about 6-7 hours for $50. 

If you don't mind me asking how much is a membership?

I took a look at Ravinia Green cause it was dirt cheap, but the course is too narrow to be enjoyed as your main course IMO.   But the cost was only $12k to join and then about $1000 per month for golf.  No assessments and the cart fee is like $25 per round.     I was thinking of joining with a buddy and they said they would cut the initiation down to $10k if we both joined.

Too bad the course plays like a fancy White Pines.  

On 9/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, geochitown said:

makrays greens were lightning at the beginning of august

mt prospect hopefully is starting to heal up from the typical summer onslaught of rounds from the locals (unfilled divots in fairways and unrepaired hallmarks on greens 

makray gets lighter play

Booked Makray for 2 weeks from now. Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

1W: TM Sim Max 10.5° (down 2) - Tensei Orange 70TX

3W: TM Sim Max 15° - Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana F Limited 75

3I: Titleist T200 20°

4-G: Cobra Forged Tec Black - KBS $ Taper 130x

SW: Titleist SM8 54 - DG S400

LW: Titleist SM8 58 - DG S400

P: Swag Suave Too

Ball: TM TP5x

14 hours ago, zer0 said:

If you don't mind me asking how much is a membership?

I took a look at Ravinia Green cause it was dirt cheap, but the course is too narrow to be enjoyed as your main course IMO.   But the cost was only $12k to join and then about $1000 per month for golf.  No assessments and the cart fee is like $25 per round.     I was thinking of joining with a buddy and they said they would cut the initiation down to $10k if we both joined.

Too bad the course plays like a fancy White Pines.  

$325 this year,  you just pay for your round/cart. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

For everyone recommending Stonewall you must not have played it recently. I have never seen it in worse shape. A real shame but I would avoid at least for the rest of this season. Greens are furry with ball marks everywhere and deadspots in the middle of greens. Areas around the greens were really poor condition as well. Tee boxes were not in good condition either. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

1 hour ago, ME27 said:

For everyone recommending Stonewall you must not have played it recently. I have never seen it in worse shape. A real shame but I would avoid at least for the rest of this season. Greens are furry with ball marks everywhere and deadspots in the middle of greens. Areas around the greens were really poor condition as well. Tee boxes were not in good condition either. 

Yeah, I posted back on June 3rd about it.  It is one of my favorite courses in IL but I have to call it like I see it.  I hope they figure it out next year because when in excellent shape, it is one of the best values around.  I think I paid $55 in June.  Right now, it is just overpriced for the conditions.  After playing it yearly for awhile, I have no clue what went so drastically wrong this year.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:07 AM, Shriner said:

You probably played in the day of, or day after they did some work on the course. Congrats.

17 is a very deceptive par 3 for as short as it is.  That green is tilted (not sloped) from left to right to an extreme. If you're an extreme high spin player, or if the course is playing soft, you might be able to play it straight on. Generally my approach is to try and land the ball left of the green, hoping one hop in the rough will take the pace off the ball. Did that the last time we played it and ended up off the green on the right. 

10 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Yeah, I posted back on June 3rd about it.  It is one of my favorite courses in IL but I have to call it like I see it.  I hope they figure it out next year because when in excellent shape, it is one of the best values around.  I think I paid $55 in June.  Right now, it is just overpriced for the conditions.  After playing it yearly for awhile, I have no clue what went so drastically wrong this year.

They literally never punch the greens anymore. They were past due for aerification years ago. People complain about punching greens but it's a necessary evil. This was bound to happen given Stonewall's approach to maintenance. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

You probably played in the day of, or day after they did some work on the course. Congrats.

17 is a very deceptive par 3 for as short as it is.  That green is tilted (not sloped) from left to right to an extreme. If you're an extreme high spin player, or if the course is playing soft, you might be able to play it straight on. Generally my approach is to try and land the ball left of the green, hoping one hop in the rough will take the pace off the ball. Did that the last time we played it and ended up off the green on the right. 

Certainly not doubting you, but we play it every year and conditions are always good.  Never had an issue but expectations could certainly play a role.  I think I first played it 20 years ago and have been in love with the course ever since.  

You are correct about 17 and that is saying something that with all you said, it is still the easiest hole on the course.  Lucky I naturally hit the ball high and a draw which works well on that hole.  I par'd 15 for the first time in my life and not sure when next time will be lol.