George Gankas Online Coaching

cookszn

21 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Yep, I’m working with Jake too on eliminating my slide / fixing my legwork. I’ll be honest that my progress has been slow. But, I recently discovered I had been thinking about it all wrong. I’ve done a lot of mirror work and slomo swings etc, but as soon as I start hitting balls I revert to a slide. Oddly my slide seems to have gotten worse, though my start lines are getting better and my trail side seems to be getting turned better. Anyway, the thing I discovered was how I move my hips is all wrong. The pivot is a shift, not a turn. I saw a GG YouTube lesson where this clicked for me. A few practice swings in the mirror later, and I’m like “Omg, I’ve been thinking about this all wrong.”  I haven’t hit a ball in about 3 weeks now due to travel, weather, etc. but I’m confident this will help. I had “discovered” something similar earlier this year and was flushing the ball for 2.5 days, but then I lost it again. Jake has been trying to tell me what’s wrong but I just wasn’t getting it. I now think I am (hope I am).  But this time I plan to commit to a lot of slomo swings, halfers, freezers, etc. Unfortunately that’s what it takes. 

Do you have a link to that GG video that made it click?

1 hour ago, ofortuna said:

Do you have a link to that GG video that made it click?

I just looked for it again and watched about 5 videos and couldn’t find it. It was on YouTube and the guy he was working with played golf at USC. Anyway, the thing that clicked was that he had him rotate with his butt on a trash can, and showed the pivot against that trash can. I then went and did it on my refrigerator and kept my trail side cheek in its spot while rotating and almost wiping backwards with it. And all of a sudden my hips are cleared, my front shoulder is pointing down, and my trail elbow is tucked inside my trail hip all as it should be. So now I’ve done it 100 times and it is starting to seem more “natural” but I haven’t hit a single ball yet (full caveat). It just made me remember a feel I had worked on earlier in the year when it clicked for a few days.  The other thing I noticed was that it wasn’t so much a hip turn as it was a weight shift from rear toe to lead heel. 

I hope this helps. 

Edited by LeftDaddy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:32 AM, ofortuna said:

I pulled the trigger on the georgegankas.golf website membership. First a little about my past search for quality instruction:

George Hardy (purchased a bunch of his 2 plane and 1 plane videos)

Jim Waldron (purchased a bunch of his videos and took 2 online lessons)

Monte (purchased his videos and took 1 in person lesson)

Tyler Ferrell (studied his golfsmartacademy.com site for years, read his book, and took 2 half day in person lessons)

Golftec (Took weekly lessons for 1.5 years)

I'm currently about an 8 handicap looking to improve ball striking as a main focus.

I first started watching GG Youtube videos a long time ago, estimating over 5 years ago. I thought he was a bit goofy with his flip flops and "bro" talk but he seemed to teach some unconventional but interesting concepts. Never really got into him or got his "moves" to work for me. I recently discovered that you need to set yourself up properly to execute these moves effectively. Laying down the shaft and opening up will create havoc unless you're setup properly, take a deep backswing, and have the clubface ready.

After joining the site, I am flat out shocked at how much knowledge Gankas has about the swing and how effectively he communicates. Nothing at all like the informal lessons surfer dude you see on his YouTube channel. He not only shows movements he likes, he constantly demonstrates movements he finds undesirable and their problematic effects on path and face. Yes, demonstrates. I've gone through the full swing part 3 (downswing) so far without any time restriction so perhaps they got rid of that. When he touches on a new concept, he'll go into extreme detail later. The sheer amount of content Ive gone through already would probably constitute 5-10 years of Golftec weekly lessons. I think it's quite an accomplishment to have created a repository of all his golf knowledge in video's like he has. It must have been an immense amount of work. There is a ton of content. Perhaps too much if that's possible. I can only guess is that he wants very specific few minute clips that he can have his assistants point to when recommending solutions to swing faults. I only regret that he didn't have a free trial so I would have jumped the hurdle of plopping down $500 earlier when the site just came out. Personally, I feel like I've already got my money's worth and am pleased I chose to go through his online content before I meet with one of his assistant instructors in person. You can only go through so much material in an hour in an in person lesson although it could potentially be laser focused on the content you need the most.

I have a lot of content still to go through, haven't seen the forums, nor submitted a video of my swing yet. I'm just working on some of the impact drills he recommends to start myself off. My wife sees me around the house rehearsing motions without a club and she asked if I'm learning kung fu.

The setup that GG advocates is what I gravitated to when I first picked up a club as a kid as well as letting the elbow fly a bit (right arm abduction). GG explains in detail why it's not only ok but desireable instead of the pinched adducted right arm at the top that I acquired through instruction. It's nice to get permission to do some things that feel natural.

The #1 thing I like about how GG teaches is he never ever says "this is the proper way to do it". It's always why. Cause and effect. If you do that, this will happen. It's ok if you do this if you accompany it with that. Always cause and effect.

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy so I'll finish by saying that I am not affiliated with the site in any way nor will I benefit from promoting his site.

Looking to pull the trigger on this in the next week. Any other feedback from people that have signed up for the program? 

For reference, I started playing in February 2020 and took a 12 pack of in-person lessons and just finished. I've been able to bring my score down from ~ 120s to a low of 102, but have yet to break 100. 

I don't think I would be able to continue with in person lessons due to cost, so I am looking for a program that can help me continue to get better, gain some consistency and start to break 100! 

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to add to this thread a bit more. I can’t even begin to tell all of you how poor my golf swing had gotten over a number of the last 2-3 years. I was basically at my wit’s end with golf, and I jumped on the Gankas program about a year ago as another attempt at trying to get better. 

As you see from my posts above, it started clicking over the holiday break. I had several range sessions where I was flushing it, but I’ve done that before so I tried to temper my expectations.  I’ve now put the changes on the course, and I cannot even tell you how excited I am about this golf season. 

I just got back from a golf trip where I took a bunch of $ from my friends, broke 80 again for the first time in a couple of years, and hit my driver 20 yards past anyone else in our group or that we played with. But most importantly, I started flushing my irons...and I haven’t done that in basically forever. I had 5 birdies in a round this past weekend, and the most I had ever done before in a single round was 3.

I will just say again that I highly recommend the George Gankas online program, and Jake Gilmer. Jake has been my guy on George’s site, and he now knows my swing and my tendencies even though we’ve never met. I’m longer than I’ve ever been, flushing the ball like I’ve never before, and I’ve gotten rid of the duck hooks which almost caused me to quit golf. I hope it sticks and I’m not back on here 2 months from now bemoaning golf, but for now I’m over the moon excited about my golf game for the first time in a long time. It is easily the best $500 I’ve ever spent on my golf game. 

Edited by LeftDaddy
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, BayAreaDoublePar said:

Looking to pull the trigger on this in the next week. Any other feedback from people that have signed up for the program? 

For reference, I started playing in February 2020 and took a 12 pack of in-person lessons and just finished. I've been able to bring my score down from ~ 120s to a low of 102, but have yet to break 100. 

I don't think I would be able to continue with in person lessons due to cost, so I am looking for a program that can help me continue to get better, gain some consistency and start to break 100! 

I’d recommend it. I’m about ten months in and I have found the program very informative. I’m the type of person who doesn’t want to be told what to do, but why. His videos get into aspects of the swing that I haven’t seen in others. If I were just getting into golf and was committed to getting better, this program is waht I would commit to. 

I’ll say this though, it takes time to get the lingo. And sometimes it feels that he’s rambling in videos without putting deep thought into it. But the more you watch, the more your learn his method and realize they guy knows his stuff. I’ve been playing for 20 years and now learning things that I never knew. 

14 hours ago, Divdevil said:

I’d recommend it. I’m about ten months in and I have found the program very informative. I’m the type of person who doesn’t want to be told what to do, but why. His videos get into aspects of the swing that I haven’t seen in others. If I were just getting into golf and was committed to getting better, this program is waht I would commit to. 

I’ll say this though, it takes time to get the lingo. And sometimes it feels that he’s rambling in videos without putting deep thought into it. But the more you watch, the more your learn his method and realize they guy knows his stuff. I’ve been playing for 20 years and now learning things that I never knew. 

Thanks! I started the program ~ 2 weeks ago and am working on setup and backswing. A lot of information! I'll update progress with the program as I go along. 

On 10/10/2019 at 1:05 AM, Lamb said:

Don't care what anyone says but you have to be incredibly stupid to use an online coach without seeing them first. No way on earth you will get real value for money. It's just utter stupidity. Golf is supposed to be one of the hardest sports and yet the only sport you are supposed to teach online? Gtfo! It's just bs internet marketing that gullible people have been sucked into.

Your instructor had to physically see you for you to get real value for money. And even then no way on earth GG is worth what he is charging in person. It's utter madness but then again it's the power of social media or should I say the herd mentality. of today's society.

I do online lessons with my instructor, but it’s 1v1 and I send in 6 to 7 videos a month. Easily the best decision I’ve made wrt learning the golf swing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, LeftDaddy said:

I just have to add to this thread a bit more. I can’t even begin to tell all of you how poor my golf swing had gotten over a number of the last 2-3 years. I was basically at my wit’s end with golf, and I jumped on the Gankas program about a year ago as another attempt at trying to get better. 

As you see from my posts above, it started clicking over the holiday break. I had several range sessions where I was flushing it, but I’ve done that before so I tried to temper my expectations.  I’ve now put the changes on the course, and I cannot even tell you how excited I am about this golf season. 

I just got back from a golf trip where I took a bunch of $ from my friends, broke 80 again for the first time in a couple of years, and hit my driver 20 yards past anyone else in our group or that we played with. But most importantly, I started flushing my irons...and I haven’t done that in basically forever. I had 5 birdies in a round this past weekend, and the most I had ever done before in a single round was 3.

I will just say again that I highly recommend the George Gankas online program, and Jake Gilmer. Jake has been my guy on George’s site, and he now knows my swing and my tendencies even though we’ve never met. I’m longer than I’ve ever been, flushing the ball like I’ve never before, and I’ve gotten rid of the duck hooks which almost caused me to quit golf. I hope it sticks and I’m not back on here 2 months from now bemoaning golf, but for now I’m over the moon excited about my golf game for the first time in a long time. It is easily the best $500 I’ve ever spent on my golf game. 

Great insight, what handicap do you play off? 

Does the modules open after you have completed previous ones or after a certain number of days?

Also, how are the other sections of the program i.e. short game and mental game 

1 hour ago, Meyer said:

Great insight, what handicap do you play off? 

Does the modules open after you have completed previous ones or after a certain number of days?

Also, how are the other sections of the program i.e. short game and mental game 

Was an 8 3 years ago. Got all the way up to a 13 after some really crappy golf, some work stuff, a surgery, etc. And though I was a 13 I was actually probably closer to a 15 but some old lower scores were keeping it artificially low. Am down to a 10 now after only 6 logged rounds since having my breakthrough (and of course haven’t been near a golf course in weeks now due to the freaking bad weather so I’m sure I’ll have lost it when I get back). 

The modules open both after you complete them and a certain number of days, whichever comes later. Usually about 30 days between modules and you will devour the videos in say 10 days or so. 

All of the sections are great, and have given me the baseline golf knowledge I wish I had from the beginning. I got a lot out of both the short game and mental game sections, and course management, and practice sections. It is all pretty solid stuff. I haven’t necessarily put a lot of the “advanced” stuff into play yet because I’m still working through the full swing a bit, though I have put a few mental game and short game things into play. Am hoping to start putting the course management and shot shaping stuff into play this year. 

Again I can’t recommend it enough...well worth the $. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've enjoyed the discussion on this forum and think I'm ready to dive in. The only question I have is, I live in Ireland, we are currently in pretty sever lockdown restrictions. I have a cheap portable launch monitor and a pretty decent net in the back garden are these facilities adequate to start the program or should I hold fire until courses and ranges are open here. hopefully within  the next month or two. 

Thanks 

I would highly recommend starting the programme now - there is lots of detail you can get through before you even get to the course. You have more than enough equipment to get you started. They recommend access to a full length mirror so you can see what you are doing. I am in Scotland, we were only able to access the practice area last week. The best thing I purchased was a cheap tripod to hold my phone for recording my swing. Along with the recorded content and the feedback from Jake and Brett, you will be well supported.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He skyrocketed to fame within the golfing world..there’s no where for him to go really. He probably as well known now as Butch or Leadbetter especially in the under 40 group and he has players that won on the pga tour. 

He seems to be enjoying what he is doing and making a lot of money (for a golf coach) doing it.  

If he made any miscalculations it would be that he was too free with his methods in the beginning. It’s pretty rare these days to see genuine new ideas about the golf swing that isn’t derived from emerging technologies...gankas shook the golfing community (imo) with the idea of keeping your hands up. 

• 3 weeks later...

You can pay all the money but if you dont self improve, it wont be worth anything. Look up Paul Wilson golf on youtube.  Learned just as much watching his videos for free that unlocked my game. 

• Haha 2

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

On 4/26/2021 at 8:43 AM, airjammer said:

He skyrocketed to fame within the golfing world..there’s no where for him to go really. He probably as well known now as Butch or Leadbetter especially in the under 40 group and he has players that won on the pga tour. 

He seems to be enjoying what he is doing and making a lot of money (for a golf coach) doing it.  

If he made any miscalculations it would be that he was too free with his methods in the beginning. It’s pretty rare these days to see genuine new ideas about the golf swing that isn’t derived from emerging technologies...gankas shook the golfing community (imo) with the idea of keeping your hands up. 

that is a big reason he became so popular, he gave alot of information out for free or a smaller his. Last membership site was way less money. Now his instagram is just short clips of swings, no information of what drills they are doing or feels, his membership site is much more money and his lesson tee cost crazy money, that isn't how you become popular but he is already there so at this point it is about managing the demand.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, indianagolf2 said:

Who are the other instructors under gankas, the one I emailed is 300 hr 

Brett Silvernail, Jake Gilmer are the two from the website and not do individual lessons as well. Also Mark Odenthal learned under GG. Jake and Mark do online lessons as well.

8 hours ago, indianagolf2 said:

Cost is way way out of control fwiw. But it is what it is. 

The demand is there for their time. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 9:48 PM, llewol007 said:

You can pay all the money but if you dont self improve, it wont be worth anything. Look up Paul Wilson golf on youtube.  Learned just as much watching his videos for free that unlocked my game. 

Paul Wilson's fire the hips and passive arms videos ruined my golf swing for years. Still trying to get rid of it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JDIL said:

Paul Wilson's fire the hips and passive arms videos ruined my golf swing for years. Still trying to get rid of it. 

Ive watched George's videos on youtube as well and I could not connect with it. I think the main thing is finding that right teacher or lesson that will elevate your game. I remember walking into a Goltec a while a go and they wanted me to buy a series of lessons that would rebuild my swing. No knock against golftec but it should say something to what you want out of your game. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

No. You are going for access to the material. Doesn’t matter if you completed all the courses in the first year or if you are still doing them in year two. It’s the same price for the access

No discount but he has added a ton of new content since my first year. A bunch of new content is about to be released as well