2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I am thinking about switching from the Comp NT 65X-Stiff to Diamana Blue Board X 83 in my L4VX.

I hit some of the longest drives last year with L4VX but not as consistent as I would like it.

Wanted to know if anyone has any advice of how the two shafts would compare. Just as info I have the Diamana 73 S in aMP600

which I have come to really like. I have hit some very long drives with mp600 but tend to spray it much more than the L4VX. My SS is 105-110 depending on the day and I am not sure if the BlueBoard 83 is going to be too much. All this aside I may end up just waiting to pick of the new S9-1 Pro D with blueboard but I was thinking of trying this first.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I went to the course the other day without my cobra and had to use my old 510tp. First it was like hitting a 3 wood off of the tee in the size dept. Second, I remembered the why I sold it in the first place....fore left! Went to the range to exercise the demons with the l4v and all beauty has returned.

High, long, straight bombs!!!!

Long Live the Thread!

Just a quick update.

I went to the course the other day without my cobra and had to use my old 510tp. First it was like hitting a 3 wood off of the tee in the size dept. Second, I remembered the why I sold it in the first place....fore left! Went to the range to exercise the demons with the l4v and all beauty has returned.

High, long, straight bombs!!!!

Long Live the Thread!

It is still king for me ... and I have been trying other things

I am finally to the point where I have found a couple different drivers that just work for me and I am actually getting frustrated trying to fix what ain't broken. I have also been FIGHTING with a case of Vertigo over the last year oir 2 that has been a little rough lately - I TRULY would not wish that sh!t on my worst enemy. It is truly miserable - and it has turned me into a basketcase / embarrased the bejesus out of me on course on - ANYWAY - Different topic

SO !!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line - I JUST LOVE this driver - It just does it all - for "us" it is just the best of all worlds - long / REDICULOUSLY straight / accurate / ultra forgiving - same thing I have been saying since Nov 07 ... and I am about to work on a liter shaft / longer length combo VERY VERY VERY soon. A certain someone ( zeo2.jpg )I know tried a combo that I thought would work and he got AMAZING results .... I think a review is coming soon.

I am down to a small list of drivers that I REALLY REALLY like .. and I getting tired of mesaind around

L4 - THE KING

S9 Pro D - The black bomber

XL Tour - just an oldie but goodie - LOVE !!!

V2 Rapture - VERY VERY good driver

L5 - forgiving bullet hitter

Sorry for vanishing ... I'm BACK !!!!!!! ....

Dear Polsta,

I'm not looking to get into an internet feud. They are pointless. But........ you're original post said you have a 110 mph swing plus or minus 5mph. So from 105-115. Either way, you're not CARRYING the ball 290 yards. I don't care what driver you're using. No way. Your updated post said your SS is between 114-119 mph. Getting better.

Maybe your reply to this post will have your swing speed at 120-125 mph.

Ok, I am sure there where a lot of left handers like me that did not want to buy the l4v because it only came in the f series for us!! But let me tell you I followed this post all the way through and I ended up coming to one conclusion, robo, the man the legend, knows what he is talking about, he came from the dark side and told us the truth about so many things. I will not get into that right now because I have never been a big poster on either forum but I have followed what people like robo have said. Put it this way I got a l4v head for 105.00 shipped and just put a 73X whiteboard in it tipped 1" and wow, the best driver I have ever hit. Thanks Robo!!!!

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!! .... Graphics down huh :lol: bowdown-1.gif

Wanting input on a possible shaft swap....

I have a L4V X, and bought it off the forum with a PYPE in it. My swingspeed is about 110mph.

I have produced some bombs with this combo above, but at the same time, it also just doesn't feel smooth to me. I don't have a harsh transition, but as the same time, I'm no Freddie Couples either. So I am somewhere inbetween! :)

With seeing so many of these "VooDoo for Titleist" shafts on The Bay, as well as some regular tour ones on there too, I was thinking of maybe trying one. I want some opinion though, on whether I should go with a Stiff shaft and tip it (if it's a pull though, can I even cut 1/2" or 3/4" off of it??) or would an X-stiff and the fact that the head is so heavy, work out well? I see ROBO always saying this driver with a bit-shorter shaft actually works quite well (and I'm only 5'11") so maybe tipping a S would work well? Or is the head just way too heavy and still make it play weak?

Or.... do you think a AXIVCore (Tour Black you think?) may be the way to go?

Thanks!

Brian

I didnt have time to troll the pages, but has anyone shafted an L4V X with a Harrison Saga? I'm really tempted to get an L4V head just so I can shaft it up with a Saga, because I have heard great things about both. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

Callaway Apex 19 Pro Combo 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Ping Glide 4.0 52ºS, 56ºS, 60ºT w/ Z-Z115

TaylorMade Spider X 

If you're looking for a shaft in this head, look no further than:

VooDoo XPP7 if you want to play the driver st 44.5" or shorter

or

Fuji 6Z08 if you want to play the club at 45"

Bottom line, this head is insanity. I currently have two L4's in X trim at 9.5" that I switch between. The 44.5" XPP7 is a straight rocket that hits the ball a descent length, but hits it on a freaking frozen rope! If I need straight, straight, straight and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of distance in exchange for dispersion, this is the combo for me. BS averages in the 156 range with RANGE BALLS.......(the constant in this experiment)...

If I'm playing a wider track and I want to bomb it away, the second setup hits the bag. L4...X trim, 9.5 with a Fuji 6Z08 X flex at 45". My god, this thing is freaking LONG and (most importantly), L4 straight. I tested this combo on Friday for the first time and actually had to call ROBO like a psycho chick until he picked up the phone. I gained 10+ MPH ball speed on average...averaging 165-166 with RANGE BALLS with this setup....

Holy Moly....the L4V is just damn good. I can't say enough about the confidence off the tee that this club has given me. L4V Love in full effect. Folks, this driver is the truth. This head should be your constant and you can go out and have fun experimenting with shafts like I am doing. It's just so straight and the length keeps right up.....

I've got to admit, though, that I'm dying to hit a properly setup S9.....any help on that one ROBO????.... :partytime2:

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

commoditybroker,

so with the Fuji 6Z08 in X-stiff flex, you went from 155'ish MPH, to about 165MPH??!! What shaft and flex produced the 155'ish speed? The VooDoo, or something different?

Thanks!

Brian

Different setup

He has 2 L4s ... The first one is one I had built for him ... L4 9* X head - VooDoo XPP7 at 44.5. Over the last week or so Zeo & I had been discussing dropping weight in the shaft and increasing overall length in the driver to get more yardage as the head is just so damn straight

His 2nd L4 - is 9* L4 X head - Fuji 6Z08 at 45.25 (ish) - the increase is main due to the increase in length. The experiment worked as he hits it just as straight as before.

I am going to try a similar setup myself. That whole Fuji line is AWESOME !!!

I have 2 L4Vs, both at 10*. I shafted the first one up with a Speeder 660TR untipped. Great feeling setup, super-high launch (I am very launch-challenged) and was carrying it 255-260 all winter long. It was a shorter than my Rapture/Blueboard combo but was much, much straighter.

In the wet winters up North, carry is king, but now that Spring is coming, I was looking for a way to lower launch (and spin) to get more roll once the fairways firm up. My first try was a Diamana Blueboard 73 untipped. No difference from the Speeder 660TR. High-launch and maybe even a bit worse dispersion.

I came across another Speeder 660TR that was tipped 3/4" and replaced the Diamana BB. All I can say is "WOW". I was never much into playing around with shaft tipping in drivers as I didn't think it would make much difference. Boy was I wrong. The 3/4" tipping in the Speeder turned a great driver into an unbelievable driver. Launch is down 1-2* and spin is probably down 200-300 rpm. Dispersion is even tighter than before and once the fairways firm up, I think I will be able to get into that "magic zone" where my angle of descent gets under 40* for max rollout.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Well I have experimented and dumped the L5V. In my hands the trusty L4V Axiv Core Black was a better ball whacker. Having 3 drivers was my max and the L4V just hangs around and battles with my 09 TM Burner TP/Axiv Core and My G10 TFC combo.

The Burner is the longest and the L4V the Straightest and the G10 is good overall. Spring will be very fun!

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen

I am officially a believer. I have been sitting on this L4Vx head for a while now waiting for the weather to break. I got it shafted with a Accuflex Creation 65s tipped one inch and butt cut to play 44.5". I hit one club good all day, the driver. I was wildly inconsistent with all my irons and wedges today due to the long layoff and the course was very rough. The greens were shaggy and it was still a bit too soggy really. It was more like a range session than a round of golf. As far as the L4V goes, I am thoroughly impressed with the whole setup. The face is hot and the sound is perfect. I was expecting loud! It wasn't quiet, but it was nothing like some of the annoying tinny drivers I have owned in the past. I was fading it and drawing it when I wanted, which leads me to believe I found a pretty good shaft setup. I was hitting fairways which is why I went with the 44.5" playing length. I really went after a couple and surprisingly for the first day out in months I absolutely powdered the ball! It's gonna take me some time to shake off the rust, but one thing is for sure, I am super pumped to get out on the range and get this driver dialed in. Hopefully this honeymoon won't end!!! I hope she's a keeper!!!

Ok....I have been a believer in my beloved Adams 9015D 9.5 with Whiteboard 63x but recently hit a buddies L4vX and just picked one up from the bay with a VS proto 80 stiff. I got it for dirt cheap and I figure I can reshaft it if I dont like it. I hit my friends club very very well it does just want to go straight......I cant wait to get it on the course. So I too have sipped the kool-aid....

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

we'll i took your guys advice, i tried the l4v x at a demo last fall and omg did i hit it well. I have been playing a Cobra SZ400 with a Graf Blue shaft since it came out and told myself there is no way that driver is coming out of my bag. We'll since i played Competitive golf all 4 years of Highschool and then play very regularly, i feel it's lost its super hot face.

Tried the L4v x at the demo and just launched bombs. Even the cobra rep was like we'll i guess you really dont even need to try any other drivers do ya?!

So i have a head coming, and also a whiteboard 63x on it's way so it should make for a tank of a setup!

we'll i took your guys advice, i tried the l4v x at a demo last fall and omg did i hit it well. I have been playing a Cobra SZ400 with a Graf Blue shaft since it came out and told myself there is no way that driver is coming out of my bag. We'll since i played Competitive golf all 4 years of Highschool and then play very regularly, i feel it's lost its super hot face.

Tried the L4v x at the demo and just launched bombs. Even the cobra rep was like we'll i guess you really dont even need to try any other drivers do ya?!

So i have a head coming, and also a whiteboard 63x on it's way so it should make for a tank of a setup!

If i nailed it that well in stock form i think i would have hit it a bit before getting the WB. Certainly i'd give it a run before reshafting. BIG difference between the stocko and a WB63.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I have an x and an F they both work well for me....the stock shafts ..... like everyone says are terrible....way to much spin. I have an VS proto 80s in my x and it spins a lot too. I have creation 65s that are getting tipped .5 and going in the drivers at 44.5 we will see how that works out. i think it will be a good fit.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

If i nailed it that well in stock form i think i would have hit it a bit before getting the WB. Certainly i'd give it a run before reshafting. BIG difference between the stocko and a WB63.

I play a Graf. Blue shaft which is lower in Torque than the WB and it feels just about right for me. I could not "GO AFTER" the ball with the stock shaft in the L4v. I did try the L4V some more and all the stock shafts are way to weak in the tip area for my liken. Just because it was a stock shaft doesn't mean i can't hit the ball straight or far? I like the feeling of swinging a telephone pole, most don't.

I am hoping to get a response on this:

For those of you who have installed a VOODOO PROTOPYPE in it, how did you find the spin, launch and control?

I currently have a PM 702 X installed and would like to bring down the spin even more.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

For those of you who have installed a VOODOO PROTOPYPE in it, how did you find the spin, launch and control?

I currently have a PM 702 X installed and would like to bring down the spin even more.

God Bless

Jer

I am right there with you Jer, I will be watching for the replies, tried the BB in the x head (untipped) and it just doesn't work, putting in the DVS this weekend (thanks robo) now that the weather is good!! but the pype is next!

God Bless

Jer

wow, less spin than a PM702 X? I presume this is even tipped? what are your number right now?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Seeing all of the awesomeness of this thread makes me consider giving up the G5.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ Aldila Rouge White 130 TX

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST LINQ Blue 8F5

Ping iCrossover 2 w/ LINQ White 100F5

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/ C-Taper 130X

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ UST Wedge Proto F5

L.A.B. DF3 Broomstick