Single digit golfers, how fundamentally sound is your swing? + a bunch of follow up questions

Zappster

Currently 5.0, have been as low as a 1. As I recover from y*ps, I hope to begin going back in the right direction. I have been below a five (with some blips above) for 30 years or so.

I swing my swing, which is fairly non-traditional. After 3 back surgeries, a necessity. So I groove what I have and every 15 years or so I have to completely re-learn the swing to not hurt. So unlearning or changing the past, I wouldn’t change anything. And am I happy with my swing? I certainly don’t want it filmed bc it feels like Tiger circa ‘97 but probably looks like Doyle circa ‘19. So I am happy enough.

I have had 5/6 lessons over the last 30+ years generally to fix a specific reaction to a committed swing change.

Because of the back, I never work on my swing. I even warm up in the chipping area stating small and then getting to half speed full swing flopshots just to get limber.

Getting old stinks.

Interesting response so far. Nice to see attitudes and numbers of lessons.

I'm an 8 this year and I have a weird Jim Furyk type swing. My short game helps me overcome my swing shortcomings. Never had a lesson, play practice 3-4 times a week. I hit the ball straight normally and 80% of the time I'm in the fairway. Average length off the tee. Never work on my swing or even think about it. I just play golf, hit the ball and try and get it in the hole. Work on putting and chipping though.

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

3-handicap. Been single digit since I was in high school (graduated in 2004).

**Are you really solid mechanically? Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?**

Fairly solid from what people tell me, though my swing has kinda evolved on its own over the years so usually the flaws change, lol.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?**

No, I don't think so. I have a swing that works with minimal practice/play for me - I simply don't have the time to redo my swing with family, work, etc.

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?**

Smoother/slower overall tempo. Focus on consistency more than power.

**How many lessons have you had?**

1, though it was free and didn't really amount to much. It was the first time I ever saw my swing on film before though, which was kinda cool. This was earlier this year btw.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?**

I broke 80 when I was in junior high and then played in high school, but only really felt good about my swing a few years after high school once my baseball swing wore off (I played through high school alongside golf) and I started hitting a draw and got rid of my big fade/slice.

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?**

Not that much, frankly. Always been a "feel" sort of player and honestly don't know the exact positions I am in throughout my swing/etc.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?**

Not really much at all unless I have a very specific/major problem I am trying to solve. i.e. I did a bunch of drills to get rid of the shanks at one point, got a weird over-the-top/then flip thing earlier this year I had to take care of, etc, etc.

Generally speaking, when I have time available for golf, I'm almost always going to use that time to go play, rather than practice. I only get out about once a week, often just 9 holes, so if I spent any of that time practicing, I wouldn't get to play much, lol.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

**Are you really solid mechanically? **

I don't really see myself as someone mechanically solid.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?**

I think I started getting better when I have accepted my fade and stuck with it. I think the more I understood golf ball flight laws is when I really got a consistent swing. After that, I just grooved whatever I got and so far it works for me. So Yes.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?**

I don't think so.

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?**

I would have accepted the way my swing is, instead of chasing the draw.

**How many lessons have you had?**

A lot of lessons when I started golfing in 96 to 98. After that, zero.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?**

I'd say two years since I started to purposely fade the ball.

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?**

I am no expert but I have a general idea of how things work. Which most of the time I cannot really execute.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?**

I try to leave my swing alone. It sucks when I go through a phase when I cannot hit the damn ball properly.

My handicap sits at 8 so far.

Currently around a 5-6, have been as low as a 1. Play ( hopefully ) once a week.

**Are you really solid mechanically?** From a distance yes, but on video and up close I compensate a lot. As others have said, impact is pretty good but what it takes to get there takes some work.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?** I don't have what I would call big flaws, but when things go sideways misses can get BIG

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?** 100%

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?** how to use my lower body better

**How many lessons have you had?** Zero beyond golf camp as a kid

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?** I'm 33 and still not satisfied

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?** Just enough to be dangerous, a lot more in the last 5 years

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?** No mechanics, just feels now

At a 2.6 cap right now. I play 100 rounds a year or so and hover between 2-5. Havent had a 0.X handicap since I was a really good junior golfer 15-20 years ago.

**Are you really solid mechanically?** I have a generally solid impact position but I also have worked for 2 years on a glaring dip/shoulder drop that led to a lot of big hooks. Its improved by maybe 3 inches over the last two years of hard work. Much better dispersion now.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?** I've mostly grooved my own swing and worked to hide my main issues. I putt well and hit it long which masks my main swing flaw.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?** Absolutely I would. Knowing what I know now I would switch in an instant.

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?** I was a stupid junior who went from hitting a controlled shorter fade to a guy who chased a draw and had a bunch of flaws get in his swing. I had a 3-4 year period where I stopped taking lessons as well.

**How many lessons have you had?** Couldnt count them up. I average 1 per month now and as a junior it was even more.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?** I'm constantly working on my game. I play or practice 5+ days a week. Its my one hobby. I hope I'm never satisfied.

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?** I think I understand my own swing well. Usually I know what is causing a big issue or what I'm doing when something flies wrong/feels off.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?** I usually have one 'mechanical' range session every week. Video, alignment rods, any training aids etc. It usually takes an hour or so and I don't hit a ton of balls. I also have 1-2 short game/wedge sessions a week. Those are more fun for me. Pitch/chip/putt work sometimes on my course if its empty or in our shortgame area doing my own style of drills and contests. I like practice. Some people relax with pot or yoga or art museums I find my "zen" on the golf course.

My swing is a lot better than my average score would indicate. I'm constantly changing my swing, seeking "perfect".

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Are you really solid mechanically? No, I feel like my swing is very reliant on timing. But at times I have also wondered if I am my own harshest critic. I see so many faults in my swing that I don't know where to start, but I play off 2 so it can't be that bad!

Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws? I feel like it is never grooved, always working on the next thing.

Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now? I would love to be able to do that!

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time? 2 bad habits have plagued me forever, an inside and open takeaway and a flippy impact. Knowing what I know now and with video cameras so prevalent I would work a lot on that early.

How many lessons have you had? Maybe a dozen all up plus one 2-day clinic.

How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing? Still waiting for that moment.

How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”? Pretty well overall, but always learning more.

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved? Work on mechanics constantly, more so now than ever as I practice less so feel less grooved.

Played in a strong wind today (3 clubs) and it really tested my ability to just take extra club and just make a solid swing. Except for the occasional squirrely effort, I was happy with what happened. Hit a lot of real solid irons that never moved in the wind.

Added benefit, I made my first eagle in quite a while. On a downwind Par 5. Usually I get quick and hook the 2nd shot and screww it up. Still hate playing in strong winds though.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @zachcuden said:

>

>

> **Are you really solid mechanically?**

> _Probably. I get into decent positions. I don't like how my swing looks, I don't feel like I get a full shoulder turn and take the club back what I'd call 100%, but it's pretty good._

> **Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?**

>_See above._

>**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?**

>_Probably not. Most of what is wrong with my swing now could be fixed with more regular trips to the gym and some yoga._

> **What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?**

>_Probably nothing._

> **How many lessons have you had?**

>_Let's see...more than I could hope to count just messing around on the range with guys who know the swing pretty well. Formal lessons I paid for...maybe a dozen._

>**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?**

>_Never? I guess at one point I might have been fairly satisfied, but I haven't in the last 10 years or so._

> **How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?**

>_I have a fair understanding, I was an instructor for 3 years and taught a decent number of lessons. But I'm not sure if anyone fully understands the swing. Even now I have to go back through various books and videos to find tips for me and/or friends._

> **How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?**

> _Probably all the time. But that might depend how one defines mechanics. I always work on positions, posture, finishing the back swing, the takeaway, that sort of thing. But I don't get into things like wrist position or whatever technical stuff. My 6 year old has started playing...I give him simple tips, get your hands on the club right, aim the club at the target, get the feet set, swing easy. I think 95% of all golfers would benefit from lessons that focused on nothing but those things. I've sure never seen a golfer shoot much over par without near perfect posture, grip, alignment, and setup._

> Not sure if this should be here or the instructions forum but I’m not really looking for instruction, just wondering how others operate

> @zachcuden said:

> Just curious for those who are good and great players, if it has a good deal to do with your swing and how much you think about that vs actually playing golf. I’ve been improving a lot recently and I believe am going to hit single digits soon with very little short game work but I’m wondering if I’ll really ever stop constantly working on it or I can get to a point where I can just maintain it once or twice a week and worry more about other stuff.

> hcp varies from 1 to 5 depending on the time of year. I get better as the year goes on. Currently at about a 2 so not too bad. Last four rounds were 71,68,72,69 so coming down a little.

> Are you really solid mechanically?-I can be but tend to get out of sync occasionally

> Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?More like grooving a lot of little flaws.

> Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?Self taught at the beginning so yes, I would go back if I could.

> What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?I really knew very little about the swing when I started. I didn't have a swing teacher and had no one who could look at my swing at help me improve.

> How many lessons have you had?About 8

> How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?Only in the last 2-3 years have I felt like I had an idea of what was going on when things went south. Before I would play decently for a while then go off of the rails with no idea of why.

> How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?Not an expert by any means but I at least feel like I have a handle on the basics.

> How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?I have some physical issues that limit my practice time. So I definitely don't get to practice much. I prefer to spend more time on the course. I do practice some chipping in the yard which is my weakest point but that has improved a great deal in the last year or so. I've always been a decent putter for my ability level so I've been lucky there.

>

> Not sure if this should be here or the instructions forum but I’m not really looking for instruction, just wondering how others operate

I am currently a +3. Been a plus or pro (playing and teaching) since I was about 16. I have a simple, fundamental swing. I’d never wipe out all the knowledge I have about the swing in general and more importantly MY swing.

I’ve have dozens of lessons in my life but only a couple in the last 10 years. I still use the same swing thoughts I did when I transitioned from college golf to professional golf.

I never work on mechanics. Only setup, alignment and rhythm. If I had to start again I’d develop my swing from hip to hip with a wedge. Then shoulder to shoulder with a 8 iron. I can practice 25-30 yard shots and positively impact my full swing in a better way that just beating balls in a driving range.