Blades are awesome

phil g

> @"phil g" said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @"phil g" said:

> > > After using ap2s for the season I have decided on this new project. I have purchased a set of MBs and had my first range session. I am shocked by the size of them. I thought they would be smaller then the ap2 but they really aren’t. I have been drooling over them for a couple of years now and I feel like I have just enough game and plenty of ego to try them. My plan is to start as a combo set with the ap2 in the long irons (4-6) and MB in the short(7 - pw). With lots of practice I hope to work them into the long irons as well. Really excited to start this new adventure. If anybody has any tips or thoughts let me know

> >

> > It's certainly workable if, the loft between the two sets could accommodate each other to maintain the proper distance gap between the two sets.

> > Modern blade design has larger blade ( just under the size of player's cavity back", and you should try the 4-6 irons , there is no reason why you couldn't play the whole set.

> > The AP2 is a player's cavity back design , transition from Ap1 would be tougher.

>

> After this morning I think I am going to try the whole set of blades tomorrow. I still can’t believe how I was able to hit them. I started playing blades when I was a kid and I’m guessing modern blades are more forgiving

If you can hit the sweet spot with the GI irons, you can do the same with the blade design.

The sweet spot is about the same size , maybe comparing a nickel to a quarter, the difference is the forgiveness when you missed the sweet spot. Blades tend to lose a little distance and direction.

So if you're striking the golf balls well, you can play any set of irons if matched with shafts that's within the tolerance of your ability.

It took me a whole season to convert from cavity back ( Ping and Hogan ) to a classic blade design ( 91 Apex. For a golfer only golf during the weekends and not practice much, that's about how long it'll take me to slide into the Apex. The biggest issue will be if the sets have different shafts and/or different gaps in the individual iron's loft.

Have fun and report back about your experience.

Keep in mind, two 2019 major winners used blades.

The other two major winners used players cavities.

Blades are still in use and winning on the tours.

Some tour players feel blades are awesome too.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @golfinguru11 said:

> > @LaymanM said:

> > Blades are awesome when you can hit the 3 and 4 iron. Until then..probably not for you.

>

> This is a pretty dumb statement considering most tour pros don’t even play blade 3 or 4 irons these days.

Best iron player ever plays blades...not a concidence

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

If you have the swing speed then blades are not a problem. Love mine. Makes no difference in my score if I play blades or Cb’s.

My score is dictated by how I hit it off the tee and my putting. I hit it long enough off the tee that I will have lots of short irons and wedges in. So if I am in the fairway and make some putts that dictates my score

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I think everyone who is at least decent with irons should give them a try. I bought a cheap set a couple of years ago that sat in my closet for months just sitting there intimidating me until I finally took them out to the range. I somehow managed to pure the very first swing, and that was it. I decided was a blade player for life before I even finished my follow through. I didn't hurt that I happened to unwittingly buy what I consider to be one of the best blades ever made, the MP 69. Since then I've owned several and I just switch them out periodically because I love them all like children. I would say stay away from p730's if you're not accomplished at ball striking; for me those things have a sweet spot the size of a bb. Definitely have to say that the hype about Mizuno is true, the two that I've tried have been softer than any others I've played.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @justasgood said:

> > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

>

> Lol.

... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @chisag said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @justasgood said:

> > > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

> >

> > Lol.

>

> ... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

>

Considering you two are confessed blade haters, you don’t half spend a lot of time in blade threads...perhaps you ought to butt out with your mealy mouthed comments and give proper golfers a chance sometime? Most of us realise that your opinions don’t count for anything really so perhaps you should keep them to yourselves and just go and enjoy your oversized clubs that help you get some sort of contact somewhere near the grooves and let the rest of us get on with playing proper golf. Many thanks :-)

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @justasgood said:

> > > > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

> > >

> > > Lol.

> >

> > ... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

> >

> Considering you two are confessed blade haters, you don’t half spend a lot of time in blade threads...perhaps you ought to butt out with your mealy mouthed comments and give proper golfers a chance sometime? Most of us realise that your opinions don’t count for anything really so perhaps you should keep them to yourselves and just go and enjoy your oversized clubs that help you get some sort of contact somewhere near the grooves and let the rest of us get on with playing proper golf. Many thanks :-)

>

I was wondering when Pinky and Perky would turn up :lol:

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @mahonie said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

> > >

> > > Lol.

> >

> > ... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

> >

> Considering you two are confessed blade haters, you don’t half spend a lot of time in blade threads...perhaps you ought to butt out with your mealy mouthed comments and give proper golfers a chance sometime? Most of us realise that your opinions don’t count for anything really so perhaps you should keep them to yourselves and just go and enjoy your oversized clubs that help you get some sort of contact somewhere near the grooves and let the rest of us get on with playing proper golf. Many thanks :-)

>

... I play P760's which are far from over sized and in fact some of the smallest CB heads out there right now AND I just bought a set of Srixon Z Forged that I am enjoying, so I am far from a blade hater. But you MB zealots are just soooooooooooo sensitive.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @chisag said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @justasgood said:

> > > > > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

> > > >

> > > > Lol.

> > >

> > > ... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

> > >

> > Considering you two are confessed blade haters, you don’t half spend a lot of time in blade threads...perhaps you ought to butt out with your mealy mouthed comments and give proper golfers a chance sometime? Most of us realise that your opinions don’t count for anything really so perhaps you should keep them to yourselves and just go and enjoy your oversized clubs that help you get some sort of contact somewhere near the grooves and let the rest of us get on with playing proper golf. Many thanks :-)

> >

>

> ... I play P760's which are far from over sized and in fact some of the smallest heads out there right now AND I just bought a set of Srixon Z Forged that I am enjoying, so I am far from a blade hater. But you MB zealots are just soooooooooooo sensitive.

P760 are very nice but nowhere near the smallest heads out there....not by a long shot.

> @chisag said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

> > > >

> > > > Lol.

> > >

> > > ... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

> > >

> > Considering you two are confessed blade haters, you don’t half spend a lot of time in blade threads...perhaps you ought to butt out with your mealy mouthed comments and give proper golfers a chance sometime? Most of us realise that your opinions don’t count for anything really so perhaps you should keep them to yourselves and just go and enjoy your oversized clubs that help you get some sort of contact somewhere near the grooves and let the rest of us get on with playing proper golf. Many thanks :-)

> >

>

> ... I play P760's which are far from over sized and in fact some of the smallest heads out there right now AND I just bought a set of Srixon Z Forged that I am enjoying, so I am far from a blade hater. But you MB zealots are just soooooooooooo sensitive.

Sorry I forgot you dropped the P790s...let us know when you drop the 760s for the Z Forged and you might be able to join the gang of proper golfers ;-)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @chisag said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > >

> > > > Lol.

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> ... I play P760's which are far from over sized and in fact some of the smallest CB heads out there right now AND I just bought a set of Srixon Z Forged that I am enjoying, so I am far from a blade hater. But you MB zealots are just soooooooooooo sensitive.

Think we just enjoy the needle. After all, that's what most of our long irons look like so we get used to it :)

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Switched from my Mizuno JPX 900 forged to Hogan Ft Worth White this year. I play 6-PW in the Whites and added two Ft Worth Hi utilities for the 4 and 5. Hope to put the 5 blade in soon and maybe the 4 eventually. Been fun hitting these and actually scoring about 1-2 strokes better. Not sure exactly why, but having fun with them.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

> @mahonie said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > >

> > > Lol.

> >

> >

>

Lol. I don’t hate blades I just thought the dude’s comment was hilarious. I’m sure he uses hickory shafts, feathery ball, a persimmon driver, and tees off on a tuft of sand. I think blades look great and take admiration in a skillful player using them.....which is extremely rare.

@ex0dus said:

> I have been gaming mbs for a long time. Be sure to check your distance gaps. I found years ago that the gaps got too small after the 5 iron.

I get my set checked for loft and lie at the beginning and mid-way thru the season, especially if you practice a lot or play in firm conditions.

What I like about my mb set is the PW starts at 47* and I have it weaken to 49* eliminating a GW. On the other end of the spectrum, the two iron is stock at 18* but I have it stretched out to 17*.

I essentially have 17* to 49* covered in one set, the precision and consistency (distance and trajectory) is there. I don’t have to worry about gapping multiple wedges, different hollow bodies, hybrids, 7 woods whatever hence all these existing threads

• Like 1

> @Chuck905 said:

> I essentially have 17* to 49* covered in one set, the precision and consistency (distance and trajectory) is there. I don’t have to worry about gapping multiple wedges, different hollow bodies, hybrids, 7 woods whatever hence all these existing threads

I'm all for consistency but you can get these lofts (or within a degree or two with bending) covered in many other irons sets. It's just called a 3-iron to GW (and if loft is loft, what do we care?). Again, you may prefer the MBs for whatever other reason, and that's entirely fine, but getting 9 clubs of the same design isn't that unique.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Chuck905 said:

> > I essentially have 17* to 49* covered in one set, the precision and consistency (distance and trajectory) is there. I don’t have to worry about gapping multiple wedges, different hollow bodies, hybrids, 7 woods whatever hence all these existing threads

> I'm all for consistency but you can get these lofts (or within a degree or two with bending) covered in many other irons sets. It's just called a 3-iron to GW (and if loft is loft, what do we care?). Again, you may prefer the MBs for whatever other reason, and that's entirely fine, but getting 9 clubs of the same design isn't that unique.

That's true, but it's interesting that you rarely see someone saying it's only about the lofts, while using the older lofts. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Chuck905 said:

> > > I essentially have 17* to 49* covered in one set, the precision and consistency (distance and trajectory) is there. I don’t have to worry about gapping multiple wedges, different hollow bodies, hybrids, 7 woods whatever hence all these existing threads

> > I'm all for consistency but you can get these lofts (or within a degree or two with bending) covered in many other irons sets. It's just called a 3-iron to GW (and if loft is loft, what do we care?). Again, you may prefer the MBs for whatever other reason, and that's entirely fine, but getting 9 clubs of the same design isn't that unique.

>

> That's true, but it's interesting that you rarely see someone saying it's only about the lofts, while using the older lofts. :)

Agree. But I responded to 17-49 and not having to match other types of clubs. Unless one is focused on the precision and consistency of the MB itself (which may be greater than that of other clubhead designs).

• Like 1

> @agolf1 said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @Chuck905 said:

> > > > I essentially have 17* to 49* covered in one set, the precision and consistency (distance and trajectory) is there. I don’t have to worry about gapping multiple wedges, different hollow bodies, hybrids, 7 woods whatever hence all these existing threads

> > > I'm all for consistency but you can get these lofts (or within a degree or two with bending) covered in many other irons sets. It's just called a 3-iron to GW (and if loft is loft, what do we care?). Again, you may prefer the MBs for whatever other reason, and that's entirely fine, but getting 9 clubs of the same design isn't that unique.

> >

> > That's true, but it's interesting that you rarely see someone saying it's only about the lofts, while using the older lofts. :)

> Agree. But I responded to 17-49 and not having to match other types of clubs. Unless one is focused on the precision and consistency of the MB itself (which may be greater than that of other clubhead designs).

Saves you a lot of time and money.

Nowadays with the blended sets, golfers will have to see where they transition into the 6-5 irons/CB/MMC/hollow bodies, compromise distance gaps, spin and trajectories then match long irons with HMB/driving irons, hybrids etc.

Options can be good but can be confusing; paralysis by analysis.

• Like 1

> @Chuck905 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @Chuck905 said:

> > > > > I essentially have 17* to 49* covered in one set, the precision and consistency (distance and trajectory) is there. I don’t have to worry about gapping multiple wedges, different hollow bodies, hybrids, 7 woods whatever hence all these existing threads

> > > > I'm all for consistency but you can get these lofts (or within a degree or two with bending) covered in many other irons sets. It's just called a 3-iron to GW (and if loft is loft, what do we care?). Again, you may prefer the MBs for whatever other reason, and that's entirely fine, but getting 9 clubs of the same design isn't that unique.

> > >

> > > That's true, but it's interesting that you rarely see someone saying it's only about the lofts, while using the older lofts. :)

> > Agree. But I responded to 17-49 and not having to match other types of clubs. Unless one is focused on the precision and consistency of the MB itself (which may be greater than that of other clubhead designs).

>

> Saves you a lot of time and money.

>

> Nowadays with the blended sets, golfers will have to see where they transition into the 6-5 irons/CB/MMC/hollow bodies, compromise distance gaps, spin and trajectories then match long irons with HMB/driving irons, hybrids etc.

>

> Options can be good but can be confusing; paralysis by analysis.

I don't disagree with this. Personally, I don't see the benefit of a 4/5/6 and 7/8/9/PW combo of two different models (although many people do it). I kind of get one or two GI/driving irons the same as a hybrid or fairway (at some point, many people have issues with the lack of loft on an iron).

I just meant to say there's a lot of sets out there from the high teens to 50 degrees loft if we just want one head design (and probably shaft).

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @PorscheFan said:

> > Nothing like shiny fresh blades. Yes, blades are awesome! Enjoy!

>

> Look just as good beat up too ?

>

>

Agreed! The only blades I've played were the MP33's and MP32's and both were pretty old and beat up but both still looked, and played, great!

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @chisag said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @justasgood said:

> > > Blades, the true soul of golf and the only real golf clubs.......imho.......

> >

> > Lol.

>

> ... It's true BiggErn, my wife keeps telling me I need a new fangled gasoline powered lawn mower and I told her the push blade mower is the true soul of lawn care and the only real mower. I tried a self propelled gas mower and I just couldn't concentrate so I got lazy and my path was all over the place. The fatter air filled tires just don't get thru the grass like the thin, hard tires on my push blade mower. My neighbor is a first time home owner and I convinced him that his mowing will improve with a good used blade push mower that is harder to use.

>

You gotta admit comparing a modern motorised lawn mower with mechanical moving parts, wheels, chassis, internal combustion engine etc to golf irons is pretty lame. We are talking about the head of a golf iron. One being a modern muscleback blade style and the other being a perimeter weighted cavity back. All other variables (shaft, grip, swing weight, swing, golfers ability etc) being equal they're not worlds apart like your stupid lawnmower analogy. But thanks for your input and, I'm assuming, your attempt at humor.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Wow this has been getting funny, I have found out that it seems to be smaller gaps at the top of the irons(4-6). I really blame this on not hitting them solid yet. I dint have anymore tournaments for the year now so I’m just going to put them all in and figure it out. If not I’ll go back to the ap2s at the top but the 7-pw are staying for sure