New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

Received FlightScope’s battery bank, $52 shipped. It feels like something from Amazon at a 3rd of the price (it’s not made or branded by FlightScope), but I trust the electrical specs on it.

By the way, does anyone else’s Mevo+ have black staining on it from the supplied case? Not a big deal, just cosmetic, but it’s still a $2k instrument.

d6e7eace-6f00-416c-b381-82e006960735.jpeg

47305f60-e891-4098-9996-64c34a3899a2.jpeg

8784ba53-747d-40c9-ba1e-d814e7bcea20.jpeg

675ab612-9ae6-48e8-95c0-2ba3bdf78f02.jpeg

In regards to my camera issue and the time to process a shot.

Is setup my selfiegolf thing : used my phone as the camera and the problem isnt there - it all worked great. There must be an issue with using the mevo itself as the camera - support are aware of it.

Another thing - i have had my unit for a week now : it is great! I am blown away how good it is.

It already making a difference - on sunday i was 200 yards out from a par 5 green.

Approaches have always been a weakness - but after a few sessions i am already more confident and took my 6 iron; hit it great and just missed out on my first eagle.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kweigolf818 said:

Does anyone know if there is still a 14 weeks waiting period if order is placed today for the mevo plus? It is shown on the shipping page. thanks.

I was told still a 14 week waiting period from Rain or Shine.  I have approx. 13 more weeks to go ?

Edited by JDMRN81
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeselnik said:

Why would anybody fork over $2K for the wrong spin numbers with dots indoors or under a canopy?  You will not see a favorable comparison to a flagship product.

JNIK

Because it's a budget consumer product and not flagship? If you're fitting or interested in very precise data collection, you wouldn't be looking at this or Skytrak (its only real competitor) anyway - you'd be after Quad, or X3, or TM. It's also worth mentioning the latter two - also radar units - have issues of their own indoors, while Quad has some minor issues outside and with horizontal launch angle.

None of them are perfect, so it's a matter of how much imperfection is acceptable to you.

5 minutes ago, Jeselnik said:

So if you have to recalculate the data why not save $$$ and buy the regular MEVO ?  My 6 iron goes 185 stock, 205 if I step on it, so when the MEVO+ reads 165 I know its really 185.  What I wanted was good sidespin numbers, these are useless to me.

JNIK

The Mevo I tired wouldn't even register shots indoors and outdoors was pretty inconsistent, just not a powerful enough radar IMHO.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jeselnik said:

So if you have to recalculate the data why not save $$$ and buy the regular MEVO ?  My 6 iron goes 185 stock, 205 if I step on it, so when the MEVO+ reads 165 I know its really 185.  What I wanted was good sidespin numbers, these are useless to me.

JNIK

I have had my Mevo+ for a few weeks now.  Not much testing, but enough to tell you that I feel its way more accurate that you describe.  My carry numbers outside are very accurate to laser yardages and inside it has been good.  Side spin has been reflective of my real shot shape and the feel of the shot off the face. 

Is it perfect, no.   Is it a really nice launch monitor for $2K compared to $10K+, absolutely.    Setup with Mevo+ is everything and there have been quality issues.  I am lucky enough to have a quality unit and have been very happy with performance. 

• Like 2

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I was hit by a quality issue but after a few weeks I received my 'new' unit. Its working muuuuch better in terms of not missing many shots. 

I mostly use it outside, have only dabbled indoors in short mode and it performed pretty good for what is a short quick amount of time for radar to get spin.

I have noticed (and others have reported) that the longer side of the bag seems to read lower. I am not sure what the issue is there, but more tinkering may be required. I do set it to range balls: not sure why that would matter, and use relatively new range balls at my preferred location which also has a 12 ft flat mat so the Mevo+ is flat, directly behind and I don't need to use the below the mat setting of 1 or 2 inches. 

For example,  there is a 250 sign at my range, its 255 from my spot, I was one hopping or flying driver there and was getting 225-240y readings. Swing speed a few MPH lower then trackman, and a bit more backspin then I expected again compared to my rough trackman numbers.

I'm not fixated on the number provided its consistent. If a good drive it tells me is 240 fine, but I need that consistency to compare it against other drivers for launch and spin. Just is odd since from 160y in the numbers and data seem really good. I know I can't fly my 56 more then 95y, and 10 shots read 88-92y of carry: that's spot on. 

More tinkering still to do, and perhaps more firmware updates to help refine it as if I can get data within a few % of the big boy units it does everything us hacks can ask for. 

• Like 1

@bvanlieuFrom reading your post, you obviously "get it" when it comes to MEVO+.  It's not a toy, but not perfect at the higher end of the bag for the higher swing speed crowd.  Aside from the few quality issues at play, the only real issue I see is the algorithm that produces higher backspin on lower loft clubs.  That's not firmware, that's the calculations built into the app.

Range balls are constructed for durability, so the behavior at compression is different from "gamers."  That carries over to initial launch, measurements, and extrapolation of that data for simulation.  But, I think even within range balls, the construction varies, and therefore the measures and extrapolations will vary too.

Shots over 200y are a crap shoot. I am fine with it reading low...but it would misread 4woods easily, or I would flush a 4 wood and it would tell me 200 when its 'normal' low reads for that shot are 215ish. That inconsistency is puzzling as it should be reading (and not calculating) the data fairly well here. I am not a high speed chap, 105-108 tops on driver, normally 103ish and 4w upper 90s. 

It also seems to start out good, but 30-40 shots into a session it starts to drift, lose its bearing and just miss more shots. It also mis-reported a few, telling me I hit a 149y wedge at the end (yeah no...thats 130 tops for little ole me)

The other area that has been surprisingly difficult outdoors is pitch shots. I want to get solid numbers for my 1/2 and 3/4 feel shots from my wedge game to really know what my numbers. Its not reading them well at all so far. I know there are a few degrees of tilt play, the only recommendation is to be precise for E6. On the flat surface I use, I can adjust to any angle I usually just set it to16d or so which is green, and there is near 0 roll. 

For the price point its very good, but I would by lying if I said I was a satisfied customer at this point. I am willing to wait for more hardening on firmware to hopefully improve it. Its not going anywhere: I am stubborn that way ? 

On 8/26/2020 at 11:25 AM, knickerbocker said:

I have had my Mevo+ for a few weeks now.  Not much testing, but enough to tell you that I feel its way more accurate that you describe.  My carry numbers outside are very accurate to laser yardages and inside it has been good.  Side spin has been reflective of my real shot shape and the feel of the shot off the face. 

Is it perfect, no.   Is it a really nice launch monitor for $2K compared to $10K+, absolutely.    Setup with Mevo+ is everything and there have been quality issues.  I am lucky enough to have a quality unit and have been very happy with performance. 

Unless the spin is considered a quality issue, I've not had any quality issues.  Don't think the manufacturer is interested in competing against itself for 1/5 the price, it's affordable entertainment.  Note the lack of reviews directly comparing the MEVO+ against the flagship launch monitors.

JNIK

Edited by Jeselnik

On 8/29/2020 at 9:43 AM, games said:

@bvanlieuFrom reading your post, you obviously "get it" when it comes to MEVO+.  It's not a toy, but not perfect at the higher end of the bag for the higher swing speed crowd.  Aside from the few quality issues at play, the only real issue I see is the algorithm that produces higher backspin on lower loft clubs.  That's not firmware, that's the calculations built into the app.

Range balls are constructed for durability, so the behavior at compression is different from "gamers."  That carries over to initial launch, measurements, and extrapolation of that data for simulation.  But, I think even within range balls, the construction varies, and therefore the measures and extrapolations will vary too.

It shouldn't matter which ball you use, ball speed, launch and spin should be measured.  If they're not, it's hocus pocus.  My only point is this, "know what you are paying for", and you might be happy with your purchase.

JNIK

Edited by Jeselnik
  • Sad 1

Doesn't matter what I know about doppler radar but I think it interprets radar interference and displays calculated data.  I know that the spin numbers on the MEVO+ are bollocks and this thread and Youtube is full of shills.  Take your MEVO+ to a Trackman range and find out for yourself.

JNIK

Edited by Jeselnik

32 minutes ago, Jeselnik said:

Doesn't matter what I know about doppler radar but I think it interprets radar interference and displays calculated data.  I know that the spin numbers on the MEVO+ are bollocks and this thread and Youtube is full of shills.  Take your MEVO+ to a Trackman range and find out for yourself.

JNIK

I took mine to a trackman range. It was shocking how close the numbers were. 

From what I’ve seen, the issues people have had with Mevo+ numbers have been indoors. I haven’t read through every post in this thread, but the impression I have is that there is a consensus that the outdoor numbers are very accurate. Why do you think the spin numbers are “bollocks”?

I use mine exclusively outdoors right now.

Spin has been all over the map.

Last session I used it for 35 shots across about 5 clubs.

For 6 wedges I hit, Mevo+ said I spun them between 2900 and 3800 RPM.

Yet my 19d 3hybrid was spinning more then my wedge topping out low 4000's in that same session. 

Same range, same flat location to set up Mevo+  a few days prior it read 6K-7K numbers on the wedge which is much more reasonable. 

This is the type of inconsistency of use that has me scratching my head. Only variable here is the precise angle the mevo sits at, and weather (was it bright sun vs. cloudy). 

50 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

Yet my 19d 3hybrid was spinning more then my wedge topping out low 4000's in that same session. 

Same range, same flat location to set up Mevo+  a few days prior it read 6K-7K numbers on the wedge which is much more reasonable. 

This is the type of inconsistency of use that has me scratching my head. Only variable here is the precise angle the mevo sits at, and weather (was it bright sun vs. cloudy). 

I can say that it all my sessions (outside and inside), I have not seen this at all. My spin is a little high on driver and 3 wood which is a known issue.  But I would say that the unit is consistent. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Appreciate the feedback Knickerbocker. Do you happen to know how you set your tilt or do you just go green and be done? Flat or do you use the tee box elevation setting of 1-2"? 

I have seen variances in both the FS documentation, manual, as well as correspondence with tech support for these settings which adds to the fun. 

Latest I have from support was to set it at 18deg and up 1cm (US can't do CM of course). I set the tee hight to 0 since I have a flat surface of 12' to hit from at my range. 

9 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

Maybe there’s something wrong with your unit?

I’ve had the occasional misread and shots where it hasn’t picked up the shot at all, but 90%+ of the shots I’ve hit have had results in line with what I would have expected. 

My unit was replaced by FS a few weeks back actually. 

I hit 20 or so drives today as I was comparing my rogue and SZ.  Readings were very consistent for CHS and ballspeed. Few misreads.  

I have a positive AoA.  Most drives read in the mid 2000s. I expect low or heel strikes to spin up in the 3000s. 

I has several 4500 reads and one 5700. Those are just wrong. ?

if I prune out the bad reads the overall averages were good and showed minor differences in the clubs which is what I was trying to get data on. It just seems to me to be about 1 in 5 shots I must delete. 

For those still looking at shipping times. I ordered 6/1 and just got notification it's being sent to the US (the email was very confusing. It's being sent out out to the US "but should ship to me next week". assuming they're using some distribution center in the US), so I should have it within the next 2 weeks. I was originally given a "have by" date of Sept 7