2020 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

It really all depends on whether cases continue to skyrocket or not I think. To my knowledge the current plan is that it is expected to happen but if things get really bad up here all of the sudden it could change. I had to visit three retail establishments for various reasons today. In the first I was the only single person with a mask on. In the second I would say it was closer to 50% but probably still less. In the third there were two of us with masks on. Of the people I saw, at least 95% are of far greater risk of being impacted than me so I kinda think it could go either way with what happens around here. Lots of 60+ people but very few of them wearing masks. One big outbreak in 85255 and it will turn ugly quickly for North Scottsdale. I'm not particularly concerned for myself (48, run 5-7 miles/day at least, haven't been actually sick for more than a day in like 15 years) but all of those really old people that look in questionable health prancing around Walgreens with no masks on seems like it could go poorly.

I don't get wearing a mask outside/on a golf course...the only one that's proven effective is n95 and numerous reports over the last 10 years show surgical and cloth only block the large droplets anyways and don't limit the spread of respiratory virus. Not to mention i've seen a lot of people wearing them incorrectly, wiping their nose with them and putting it back on backwards, etc. Besides, i'm tired enough after walking 18...let alone if i had to wear a mask lol

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Aguila early this morning. The greens and fairways were aerated this past week. They did a nice job on the greens in terms of smoothing out the surface afterwards and giving them some speed despite the sand. My group waited on every shot plus had a 3-group pileup on the 10th tee, but still finished in 4 hours. There must have been some kind of special rate today for total hacks with music blaring from carts, I've never seen so many there especially for an early morning. $32 with tax to ride with the card.

You dont understand golf course design then. Aguila has several errors in that regard like long par 3 after par 5. Holes 5 through 8 are bad for pace of play by design too. Hole 6 is after a short par 5 too that always has people waiting to go for it in 2. You can drive number 6. Not sure what you are talking about that you cant. I'm forced to hit 4 iron off that tee or go for the green which is doable this time of year with how hard the ground is. Then you follow.that up with a par 3 that people pull the ball left and end up bouncing onto hole 8 or flare it to the right and end up at the bottom of the Hill which takes guys forever to walk down there and actually play out in their 3 shots min. Followed by number 8 which is a 3 wood to drive a lot of times. Half the time I just hit iron because I dont want to wait but that's what you get at city courses.

For the record I play all the mini courses quite a bit and I love Aguila. It is the top 3 of the city card courses. If I play there on a weekend I do know it will be slow and there is always a possibility that the bunkers will be garbage and no sand because the city ran out of money.

I’ve never seen anyone drive 6 at Aguila. Have you?

Also only see maybe one person hit a tee shot on 7 to the 8 fairway.

6 and 8 usually have a wait, but course plays quickly otherwise. Men’s club plays in under 4 all the time no problem. And that’s with holding every putt.

one last question- what courses have your designed? I’d like to check them out.

• Like 1

I have in the past drove 6. You land your drive past the bunker on the right and it hits the down slope kicking it hard forward bouncing up or on the upslope of the coulee. It's a tight drive though and I already mentioned I hit iron off the tee since I hate waiting for one and it is a tight drive.

Havent designed any courses but I know par 3s after par 5s or par 4s people have to wait to hit driver with a par 3 jammed in the middle slow play. Why do you think the groups back up between 6, 7 and 8? Proofs in the pudding right there.

You are wrong!! The local area is in the category of Low to Very Low Density crime! The area of 27th and Baseline north is a high area! There are new houses, lots of good people which I know, and good facilities. Get your facts correct before spouting off ignorant comments! You are making a generalizations that’s all!!

I don't even get why you would want to try to drive 6 with all that crap and desert short/right just waiting for an odd bounce.....Holes 8 & 17 make a lot more sense to drive. The only way I'm going for 6 is in a scramble or shotgun outing and it's the last hole and need an eagle.

In other news, We Ko Pa Saguaro still in great shape! Such a slick course design, love the flow from green to tee box. Really speeds up pace of play. Played this morning as a foursome in 3:40 and had another foursome riding our ass all the way in. Greens seemed a bit slower than other courses I've played in the area recently. I'm over the upside down cup or foam/pvc pipe in the cup. If courses are putting rakes back in the bunkers, why can't we touch the flag stick? Everyone has a glove. Hopefully, this goes away and we don't continue to do it, just because. I miss hearing a properly holed putt. Side note, We Ko Pa's pro shop game is pretty on point. Sharp looking gear and lots of cool styles of hats and shirts. I normally just pass through resort course shops and leave the items for the tourists. They have a buy one, next item 50% off deal going on now. Handy if you need to stock up on golf balls or get some gifts for Father's Day.

I agree but regardless people do all the time which contributes to the slow part of the front 9. This time of year pace of play isnt an issue as people play higher end courses with price drops but in the winter when rates are high and people flock the munis it's a 5 plus hour round at Aguila on the weekend and the course design is a one of the reasons why.

I play aguila all the time both summer and winter because I genuinely like the course and get paired with random people most of the time but a few repeats....I can count on 1 hand how many have gone for it on 6. A lot hit driver sure....but they all hit driver because they need that to reach or just get past the bunker on the right off the tee and are in no way going for the green. The issue with pace there is that it's a muni and gets a lot of play because it's one of...if not THE best muni out here which attracts a lot of bad players who can't keep the ball in play.

Played GCU the other day....greens in great shape...fairways are average and soft in places. The bunkers are also getting thin in some spots. On a fun note....Just as I was about to tee off on 6 I had the pleasure of hearing 5 gun shots nearby on 59th ave and a car peeling out immediately after.....