2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Cap Patrol

lchang

Gotcha...and I am asking because we do have foresees and the pro and I have been discussing this prior to this thread. I am the handicap man on our clubs MGA so have a vested interest. Did you forget to post same day? Is that how the day of play got mixed up?

But that makes me wonder....since foresees can “see” postings can you post from foresees? That would be e good way to get full compliance of posting if players needed to report scores in the shop when finished. The shop could then post all at the end of the day. The only issue would be that a few of our groups use Golf Genius and post from there so double posts would need to be avoided.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Thanks for the info on foretees. I didn’t mean to sound like I was ragging on you. Just trying to learn more about the fore tees system.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3,000 per year for a club. I’ve seen a presentation, and this is impressive stuff. Very sophisticated.

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some folks have a hell of a brass neck.  I often wonder who these folks think they are kidding.  Its not a bad thing, but is it worth the effort or expense to “out” these folks as everybody knows who they are anyway.  Who cares if they delude themselves to end up 5 places better in a member guest, when nobody really gives them any credit for anything the achieve anyway?

I saw some interesting speculation on the accuracy of Cap Patrol on some of the posts above.  If the data is robust it should be accurate for all players.  Cap Patrol is based on probability.  I don’t think somebody rapidly improving has all that much to fear if they are updating their handicap as they improve.  Their handicap should be a real time prediction of the state of their game.  If they aren’t reporting their scores as they improve they are sandbagging either intentionally or unintentionally.  Somebody reporting a score 10 shots better than their handicap is very unlikely, all that Cap Patrol is doing is estimating how unlikely that is.  It’ll identify trends.  Somebody might have that round of a lifetime, but by definition that shouldn’t occur with any regularity.  If it does something else is at play.  You could do that with common sense.  Perhaps Cap Patrol makes it easier to have that discussion since it is based on data not opinion.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, MaccaRayDudley said:

Some folks have a hell of a brass neck.  I often wonder who these folks think they are kidding.  Its not a bad thing, but is it worth the effort or expense to “out” these folks as everybody knows who they are anyway.  Who cares if they delude themselves to end up 5 places better in a member guest, when nobody really gives them any credit for anything the achieve anyway?

I saw some interesting speculation on the accuracy of Cap Patrol on some of the posts above.  If the data is robust it should be accurate for all players.  Cap Patrol is based on probability.  I don’t think somebody rapidly improving has all that much to fear if they are updating their handicap as they improve.  Their handicap should be a real time prediction of the state of their game.  If they aren’t reporting their scores as they improve they are sandbagging either intentionally or unintentionally.  Somebody reporting a score 10 shots better than their handicap is very unlikely, all that Cap Patrol is doing is estimating how unlikely that is.  It’ll identify trends.  Somebody might have that round of a lifetime, but by definition that shouldn’t occur with any regularity.  If it does something else is at play.  You could do that with common sense.  Perhaps Cap Patrol makes it easier to have that discussion since it is based on data not opinion.

Precisely….on the money

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Real cheaters play only competitions that do not count on the handicap index, such as scramble and greensome, and around here any team competition.

We used to have a very nice concept called Business Golf Open. It was a greensome tournament with four qualification competitions, one national final and the real final in Spain, in which the best 5 teams would participate. Then there was this father & son team, handicaps way too high, never changed during all those years they almost every year made their way to the final in Spain. Made me sick but there was nothing one could do. They simply were cheaters and everybody knew it. Today there are more tools for the club to work on this problem but back then there really were none.

• 2 months later...

We have Cap Patrol, just instituted. My cap is 2.9, right now, 22 scores in. My cap has been between +1 and 5 for 40 years. FWIW, I've 20 club championships (obviously all gross golf). I've never won an individual net tourney, never. My brother and I won a net team thing in 1994, and I've had some 4,5,6 in club net stuff. I've been accused of a vanity cap, but never sandbagging. I've played ok this year but nothing great, with some nagging injuries. I'm trying to shoot 68 every time, but it hasn't happened. yesterday, e-mail from cap. comm. that I'm being cut going into 2 man calcutta. The cut is from 2.9 to 1.3. I honestly thought it was a gag played by the guys because I'm beating it. Nope, serious. Numbers don't lie, your "potential" is way better, so throw out 22 scores and reality and believe only an algo. with scores from last August. It's great marketing but clearly if you want to fish for minnows like me and miss the 15 who always breaks 80 in net tournaments apparently this is your product. Our comm., manned by only stats, geeks, now has to defend the numbers and use no discretion because "numbers don't lie." Mark Twain knew the 3 kinds of lies; "lies, damnable lies and statistics." GHIN and old fashioned common sense work, Cap Patrol is statistics w/o reason

1 hour ago, jwb10 said:

We have Cap Patrol, just instituted. My cap is 2.9, right now, 22 scores in. My cap has been between +1 and 5 for 40 years. FWIW, I've 20 club championships (obviously all gross golf). I've never won an individual net tourney, never. My brother and I won a net team thing in 1994, and I've had some 4,5,6 in club net stuff. I've been accused of a vanity cap, but never sandbagging. I've played ok this year but nothing great, with some nagging injuries. I'm trying to shoot 68 every time, but it hasn't happened. yesterday, e-mail from cap. comm. that I'm being cut going into 2 man calcutta. The cut is from 2.9 to 1.3. I honestly thought it was a gag played by the guys because I'm beating it. Nope, serious. Numbers don't lie, your "potential" is way better, so throw out 22 scores and reality and believe only an algo. with scores from last August. It's great marketing but clearly if you want to fish for minnows like me and miss the 15 who always breaks 80 in net tournaments apparently this is your product. Our comm., manned by only stats, geeks, now has to defend the numbers and use no discretion because "numbers don't lie." Mark Twain knew the 3 kinds of lies; "lies, damnable lies and statistics." GHIN and old fashioned common sense work, Cap Patrol is statistics w/o reason

Oof. That sucks. A lot of people confuse data with information. I think something like this can only really be used to identify possible malfeasance, not to identify actual sandbaggers. You use this to look for clues.

I'm one of those players with an "extraordinary round" under my belt. Here are all the scores I've logged in The Grint since coming back to the game in 2020:

image.png.4dd28cd8345eee8ddd822cb5c1443de0.png

Right in the middle there is a round where I had been sitting at 23.7 and shot a 10.3 differential. That single round dropped my index to 20.4, which means it was STILL >10 difference from my cap after the adjustment. At 23.7, that round would be a likelihood of 1 in 1650. If you apply it to the new cap of 20.4, a differential of >10 would be a likelihood of 1 in 37000. 

Was that a competition round? Sure, if you call my $1 skins game with my hit & giggle buddies a competitive round lol. 

But I'm sure it would have raised some eyebrows and be flagged by a handicap committee, and quite possibly by Cap Patrol... And if that round had shown up in a real tournament, I'd probably have to fight my way out to my car. 

But it was an outlier. And as you'd expect, 20 rounds later you see my index jump right back up--albeit I've improved slightly over that time so it's now about 2 strokes lower than it was before that round. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I’ve been a 10-11 for most of the past several years, with a couple of short periods in the 8’s.  And I have shot two 72’s.  If those are once in 50 years, then I must be one in a million.

One time I managed to hit almost every GIR, and the other time I hit a bunch, chipped out of my mind, and made some putts.

A big fear of mine is shooting a number like that in a big event at the club.   I wish clubs would enforce posting in some way so that an occasional good score is above reproach.  It’s crazy that bagging is still an unsolved problem.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, Snowman9000 said:

I’ve been a 10-11 for most of the past several years, with a couple of short periods in the 8’s.  And I have shot two 72’s.  If those are once in 50 years, then I must be one in a million.

One time I managed to hit almost every GIR, and the other time I hit a bunch, chipped out of my mind, and made some putts.

A big fear of mine is shooting a number like that in a big event at the club.   I wish clubs would enforce posting in some way so that an occasional good score is above reproach.  It’s crazy that bagging is still an unsolved problem.

I'm researching this thread because I'm on competition committee and responsible for some handicap policing that is NOT an easy discussion.  Yes, if you shot a gross 72 in a 18-hole competition as a 10 or 11 handicap it would definitely raise some red flags BUT that's not the main issue.  If the members knew that you posted your scores and didn't suspect you of being a sandbagger then you'd get a bunch of high fives and congratulations.  If, for example you're known to play 2-times a week (20+ rounds a year) and you have like 6 scores posted in your GHIN and then you shoot a 72 as a 10 handicap then yes it would be a big problem! That's what I think the Cap Patrol is trying to solve and also is a problem at our club

Edited by cmatthews77

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

On 6/3/2022 at 7:52 PM, Snowman9000 said:

I'm about the same and my low round in recent years is 76. My home course is reasonably tough though.

"Sandbagging" is unsolvable because of two things.

1. Some guys just cheat. This a not that huge a problem but it does exist.

2. Many more just can't be bothered to grind it out in casual rounds. I'm kind of a grinder, my "anti-handicap" is not that much higher than my HC I suspect. But even I mail it in at times. And other guys definitely mail it in often.

Telling golfers they *have* to report all rounds means you get a bunch of half-assed efforts from guys (and gals) that can shoot lower when it counts.

You can mandate reporting, you can't mandate effort.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2020 at 7:09 AM, Philomathesq said:

I obviously don’t know what the algorithm is, but I’d like to know how it accounts for changes in one’s game. Based on the article, it seems that it will work perfectly assuming players never improve or get worse, but we all know that isn’t the case. I’m sure we all know a mid-capper (e.g. 10) who shot a personal best 75 and then followed it up with a 96. Both of those scores are outliers, but both are likely innocent. Based on what the article says, I suspect both these scores could be flagged despite being innocent.

I AM THAT MID-CAPPER 😆

I don't know about the US, but I know my club up here in the great white north, we have no way of knowing, that I am aware of, if a player plays away.  So it is bagging if you're not posting those scores while playing well, but how does anyone know?

We have a newish member who has been kicked out some clubs reportedly for his bagging, and he magically shoots his best round of the year in our net championships.  Two days in a row.  It's been tough to get him though because he covers his tracks, or the people he plays with don't care enough to police(rumor is he plays one set of tees and posts a set back that favors his bagging.) 

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

I don't know about the US, but I know my club up here in the great white north, we have no way of knowing, that I am aware of, if a player plays away.  So it is bagging if you're not posting those scores while playing well, but how does anyone know?

We have a newish member who has been kicked out some clubs reportedly for his bagging, and he magically shoots his best round of the year in our net championships.  Two days in a row.  It's been tough to get him though because he covers his tracks, or the people he plays with don't care enough to police(rumor is he plays one set of tees and posts a set back that favors his bagging.) 

The first step would be for a Board member or Pro/Course manager to call his previous clubs and ask about his history. Check his scoring record. If you have good solid info, call him in and ask him about it.

”Your history shows you play considerably better in competitions, correct?”

“Why is that? What is going on in your non competitive rounds?”

Away scores: the manipulators typically post gross scores similar to what they score at home, except from a tee with a lower rating, so the differential is not as good and is rarely or never part of the best 8. This helps to bump good scores out of the current 20 and keep the handicap elevated. They never post a good away score.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5