Golf in decline: Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail

I've been to Grand National and Capitol Hill and I've enjoyed all the courses at both sites to be honest. Conditions were good both of the last two years.

This year we're going to Hampton Cove and the Shoals.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

"People don't sit there from other areas of the country and go man I really want to play Ross Bridge."

Some do. After I played it four years ago I recommended it to some of my friends. Some then planned a RTJ trail trip around Ross Bridge.

I you want a budget minded golf trip there are very few better choices than the RTJ trail (Myrtle Beach ??). Not everybody can afford a golf trip to Kohler or Pebble or Bandon. Most golfers don't have the $5000 - 8000 needed for a week of golf at Bandon.

It's possible that the RTJ Trail is more famous among "golf trip" golfers than you realize.

PS: I obviously cannot speak to the local support portion of this discussion.

• Like 1

I have been putting together a golf trip from Australia to play the RTJ Trail.

The bonus for us is Nashville and Memphis being in the region, we can include them in a 2 week trip.

So we would go

Nashville,

Sweetens Cove,

Silver Lake,

Ross Bridge,

Pursell Farms

Grand National,

Capitol Hill,

Dancing Rabbit,

Mossy Oak,

Memphis.

Some good golf courses in that lot.

• Like 2

You making that assessment from “St Louis, mark”? Because from where I sit, the trail does a robust business. I live within 100 miles of more than half of the courses - they are steadily busy Friday - Sunday year round and they do plenty of week day business during spring and fall.

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Very nice. Consider adding Fallen Oak or Grand Bear in Southern Mississippi.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

i'm not a fan of rb, though i will admit i usually play it once a year since i get a discount ... don't like the layup for some reason, but it's usually in very, very good shape ... mark crossfield's youtube of it is interesting, and one of them said it was in their top 5 that they played all year on some "end of the year" discussion ... and it is a very good deal in the winter/early spring for midwesterners/northerners (the first couple of tee times are taken by a package foursome every now and then, which i grumble about some because i have a bigger window for reservations than everyone except packages, but then quickly realize i need to shut up) ... yeah, but the mobile ones don't get a lot of play ... they're an hour 1/2 from gulf shores, more than an hour ... the lakewood site is one of the two resorts, so the prices are bigger, though i'm sure a decent deal can be had ... that mobile site is one of the larger "wastes", i imagine, if you wanted to look at bottom line ... the decatur site over in the southeast is similar ... i don't have any numbers, but i've been there once in the summer and once in the winter, on the weekend, and it was not packed at all ... i haven't played the short course, which i've heard is pretty good, but 54 holes is a lot of maintenance ... b'ham is packed both 18 every weekend, sans below 40 degrees ... which is why i like the early tee time reservation with my membership ...

I've never played a RTJ course but when Pete Dye passed away they were talking on Sirius Golf channel about designers and the RTJ trail courses and it seemed like the consensus from Pros and callers was that once you played one, you've played them all. Like I said, never played one but I was surprised at the opinions on the radio about them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

eh, bit of truth to that ... but, a lot of the sites have at least one 18 that has some fairly dramatic elevation changes, and the holes aren't as weak as one might think ... but you get playable weather and very decent courses at a very decent price, if not great price ... and alabama's state flag is a st andrews cross, so there's that ...

Golf Digest Top 10 in Alabama RB didn't make the cut yet three other RTJ courses did. I have never seen RB beat out Capital or Grand National on ratings. Typically when you ask golfers who have played the entire trail it is always behind Prattville, Grand National, and Silver Lakes yet costs almost twice as much since you can't use most discounts there. That is my point of why many of us who live here don't frequent Ross Bridge which hurts it as a whole. Better options from a course standpoint within easy driving distance. Are people coming to the play the Trail going to play it, sure, but repeat business goes to Oxmoor, Timberline, Bent Brook, and Ballantrae in the area because they are comparable courses for much less cost. Not hating on Ross Bridge as it is a lovely course that is very well maintained but as someone said it is typical of other RTJ courses, just more expensive.

Also my point was not that you can't make a "golf trip" out of the RTJ's, you absolutely can and it is a great and affordable trip. However, it would have helped if they were located in better touristy areas because that brings in additional money of families where there are other things to attract people and you get ancillary business. Kiva Dunes is a great example. I have numerous friends who play Kiva Dunes on the regular because they bring their families who can go to the beach and other things. I promise you if we pulled numbers Kiva Dunes kills the RTJ courses down there.

I've only played three and they were all different.

"once you played one, you've played them all" , well, yes, they all have lots of trees and hills and were designed by RTJ.

That's like saying about Scotland or Ireland "once you played one, you've played them all". That's a pretty ignorant putdown.

• Like 1

Not my words. I know nothing about them. I think they were talking about them from a architectural view.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I've played 5 RTJ Trail courses now and they were all definitely different. Are they architectural masterpieces? No. Where they fun and challenging to play? Yes.

My only beef against the Trail courses that I have played is that they are not walking friendly with some big, sometimes very big, distances between holes. But they were designed in the era where the cart was king.

Played 5 and there is a sameyness there IMHO, there just is. That's what happens when you see the same design firm's work for 3/4 days straight in a row and the guy in charge of building them was required to/didn't want to stray from the company's M.O. Drive down, approach up, to a green only accessible via the air, see a dogleg or green you think you've played before, but it was during yesterday's round. It's only natural; however, it is a lazy characterization by that Sirius golf show to say one = all. Go anywhere with a concentration of one firm and you'll see it, go play Talking Stick N/S and We-Ko-Pa in Scottsdale and you'll see similarities, it's just really reinforced with so many linked together on the RTJ Trail.

We talked about it on our last day there, that if we returned we'd want to mix in Pursell Farms or a private, just to break up the styles.

One plus, is folks can go to Alabama and get the same golf (minus the first 5 holes) as coming all the way to Monterey and shelling out for Spyglass ;-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm usually pretty sensitive to that kind of thing and didn't notice it. Doesn't mean it wasn't there. I might just have been too happy to actually be playing to notice. Which courses did you play?

Man you sound too much like these cats in the Myrtle Beach area---- houses houses and more houses

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

It’ll likely be far nicer than the courses. I’ve somehow been suckered into playing all of them on golf trips with friends. I agree with duffer that there’s a lot similarities. I also think they are a terrible value and have zero interest in going back.

Maybe the courses would make money if they were actually interesting?

Ask TN how the Bear Trace or Bear Trail or whatever they call their version is going. I understand the premise (try and create a tourist destination in a relatively rural area, usually tied to a state park, buoyed by state funds to an extent) but tax payers aren't real keen on subsidizing golf boondoggles especially when you pay a truck load for the design and the designer's name.

I can spit into TN from my house and be in Nashville in 35 minutes but I have never played one of those bear trace courses because they are so far off the cut.

On my last trip I played 6 courses at 3 sites for $360. I thought it was a decent value. You also don't get gouged on the hotels. I believe I've played 13 of the courses. A few are meh, but generally they're very good. I don't think any are great, but at less than $75 I'm not complaining.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0