Lightweight Stand Bags

22 hours ago, boggyman said:

Any idea how much shorter the Titleist Carbon S is than the standard Carbon? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. 

Not sure exactly, do know that the S isn’t in the 2023 catalog. 

• Thanks 1

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

How does the Sun Mountain 2.5 do on a cart?  I'm not much of a walker but have a few rounds at the end of the year where I will be using a caddie but also have a round on the trip where I intend to ride in a cart.  

One of the asks on Pebbles website is for you to bring a single strap bag.  I found the Sun Mountain 2.5 with a single strap in their catalog so assume I can order through someone with a SM account.  If not that bag would you have another recommendation for a single strap stand bag?

Does anyone use a Sun Mountain Metro bag?  would love to know how it does on a push cart and if the pedal that initiates the leg mechanism is durable as it looks smaller than the regular SM pedal.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

On 8/23/2022 at 5:34 AM, tim_harris said:

How does the Sun Mountain 2.5 do on a cart?  I'm not much of a walker but have a few rounds at the end of the year where I will be using a caddie but also have a round on the trip where I intend to ride in a cart.  

One of the asks on Pebbles website is for you to bring a single strap bag.  I found the Sun Mountain 2.5 with a single strap in their catalog so assume I can order through someone with a SM account.  If not that bag would you have another recommendation for a single strap stand bag?

Pebble requests a single strap so that a caddy can double bag. If you are not double bagging or not using a caddy, to me it’s irrelevant. If I was caddying and someone showed up with a SM2.5 single bagged, I would count myself as most fortunate. If a single strap is still demanded, you can remove the second one in about 5 seconds, though parts of the webbing will still be attached.

The 2.5 does badly on a cart, as it has no significant structural integrity. The cart strap can crush it. It can work if you’re careful, but it’s clearly not it’s intended use.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

1 hour ago, tim_harris said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Guess I'll keep looking as don't want to have a huge headache for the round I'm riding in.  Trying to find a decent middle ground for them

2.5 does great on a riding cart, above info is fake news

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 2 weeks later...

Seen the Ki-lo come up a few times so figured i’d give my 2 cents...

It is really really light, and the straps are very well padded. Makes carrying a breeze. However, I have had durability issues on 2 consecutive models. Got the original version which truthfully I liked a little more. It developed holes through the exterior along the internal supports. My guess is that the single layer fabric was rubbing over time, approximately 4-5 months of use.

Mizuno replaced this at no cost with the newest version. Again, crazy light and great padding. However, i’m not a fan of the pocket design. The large pocket sits at an angle mid way across the side which creates lost space. The front center pocket opens vertically and it makes it very difficult to get in to. Both pocket designs look cool but don’t function well. And again, I have a similar hole developing in the single layer fabric. In addition the “foot” that opens the legs is connected by a single rod that is inserted into a hole on the top of the foot. That rod has become disconnected, so the legs no longer kick out. I have repaired it but it fails again over time. 

Based on my experiences I would not recommend one of these, at least not of the first 2 generations. For me they have lacked the overall durability needed for a carry bag, even in a lightweight version. 

• 1 month later...

I noticed that the K1-Lo product page lists the bags as coming soon. Looks like a refresh inbound?

It appears the bag is getting a mesh accessory pouch in addition to the water bottle pocket and some updated pocket layout. I'm digging the all-navy color too! Strap design also looks like it's been revised. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

• 1 month later...

It is getting close to new bag time.  Just, well because.  Can you ever have too many?

The Mizuno KILO is still going strong.  Probably got close to 250 carrying rounds on it now.  My DIY bodge job on the leg my mate shut in the boot (trunk) is still standing up and apart from some rubbing and start of some small holes in the material on high wear areas, I am truly amazed this whispy, pathetic looking thing is still going.  Even the flimsy bottle holder is still fine.  I also thought for sure some zips would give up but no, they are all good as well.

There appears to be a new version of the KILO out, so might get another one.  Also like the look of some of the Callaway bags.  I refuse to have one with an internal stand mechanism like on Taylormade or Ping Hoofers or the Titleists.  They are crap and annoy the hell out of me for clumping grips together.  I also need a ball pocket and an RF pocket above which rules out the Hyper Dry Callaway which otherwise looks perfect.  Annoying.

Hoping there might be some new season bags out soon where a maker has actually got a stand bag with a strap like Mizuno, an external stand mechanism like Mizuno or Callaway, decent materials a larger top than the KILO but still weighing in at less than 1.8kg and with the normal tee poket above the ball pocket.  How so many makers get this easy design wrong is beyond me.

best carry bag with minimal club tangle in the $150 range? I've seen decent things on the Mizuno K1-Lo which I can get for $125. It's the 2021 model, any difference between that and the 2022 model? If it doesn't have much tangle it might be my go to currently unless others have suggestions.

Edited by delfam

• 1 month later...

I had a ping CEL which I loved until the legs stopped automatically popping out when I set it down. Piece at the bottom broke and I can’t figure out a way to fix it. Ended up finding a vessel VLS DXR slightly used for under 250 and I love it so far. Hoping it’s higher quality so I don’t have this issue again. I have a Player III and have walked with it a few times but wanted something lighter. Love the strap system on vessels.

VLS DXR is 3.9 lbs and is $365 new vs regular VLS is 4.2 lbs and $305 new.  I would’ve picked up the VLS new if my bag would’ve broke during the 20% off Black Friday sales but oh well.  

Anyone else have issues with their CEL?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

i get all the love for SM/Ping on here, but has anyone used the Cobra Ultralight Pro+ and can offer any feedback?

I am looking at it - walk most of my rounds, normally with a push cart and occasionally just for the walk, particularly if just ducking out after work. Really like the look of it for being one of the few smaller lighter weight bags that has a full zip up cooler pocket (it’s hot and humid here in Aus all year!) and doesn’t have the foot at the bottom of the bag to make it a pain on my BagBoy buggy. 

Any thoughts/feedback greatly appreciated! 

cheers

1 hour ago, horgo99 said:

Hey guys

i get all the love for SM/Ping on here, but has anyone used the Cobra Ultralight Pro+ and can offer any feedback?

I am looking at it - walk most of my rounds, normally with a push cart and occasionally just for the walk, particularly if just ducking out after work. Really like the look of it for being one of the few smaller lighter weight bags that has a full zip up cooler pocket (it’s hot and humid here in Aus all year!) and doesn’t have the foot at the bottom of the bag to make it a pain on my BagBoy buggy. 

Any thoughts/feedback greatly appreciated! 

cheers

I have a ping Craz-e-lite, ping hoofer, ping monsoon, and vessel VLS. I carry all the time. 

the strap system is the most important part of the carry bag. 

nothing compares to ping or vessel.  Nothing.

As an experiment, I bought 27 bags at once….. kept tags on them. They are unused. But tried them with clubs. So I could return them.

Tested weights, tangle, storage etc…. I found the bags weights on websites are BS, except for Ping. They all weigh their bags without straps. So add 0.4 to vessel bags. Add 0.5lbs to cobra… etc… My Golf Spy weights in their bag tests are super accurate and should be trusted. Not the OEM website. 

i was enticed by the cobra earlier in the year. This bag was a big upgrade from their older bags because of the strap system. The bag also has tons of storage relative to other bags in this weight class. It weighs around 5-5.5lbs though. 

go into a golf galaxy or pGA superstore and load it up with clubs and put it on your back. see if it feels right to you. 

for me, the balance was way off. 

There is  nothing more annoying the. When a bag didn’t sit naturally balanced on your back. 

the only way to know this is to put the clubs in it. 

best ultra light carry bag = Craz-e-lite 

Best daily carry bag = vessel VLS 

best all around bag / riding combo bag is the Hoofer 

inhave in-depth review somewhere on here about all these bags.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I have a ping Craz-e-lite, ping hoofer, ping monsoon, and vessel VLS. I carry all the time. 

As an experiment, I bought 27 bags at once….. kept tags on them. They are unused. But tried them with clubs. So I could return them.

Tested weights, tangle, storage etc…. I found the bags weights on websites are BS, except for Ping. They all weigh their bags without straps. So add 0.4 to vessel bags. Add 0.5lbs to cobra… etc… My Golf Spy weights in their bag tests are super accurate and should be trusted. Not the OEM website. 

i was enticed by the cobra earlier in the year. This bag was a big upgrade from their older bags because of the strap system. The bag also has tons of storage relative to other bags in this weight class. It weighs around 5-5.5lbs though. 

go into a golf galaxy or pGA superstore and load it up with clubs and put it on your back. see if it feels right to you. 

There is  nothing more annoying the. When a bag didn’t sit naturally balanced on your back. 

Thanks for this T - that’s why I was asking about the Cobra because I couldn’t find nearly anything about it anywhere!

sadly no PGASS or golf galaxy’s here down under to look at all these-vessel is non existent, PING CEL all but the same. And the hoofer I’m sure is a great bag, same with HL but the no cold pocket is a killer for me. Too damn hot here for just the open air, tiny little ones on the ping bags - otherwise I’d already be in for one!

Other than the Cobra Ultralight Pro+, the only other one I’m aware of with the proper cold pocket are the TM Flextech Crossover and the Mizuno BR-DX, both of which are 14 club tops. Miz quite a heavier bag as I understand, and more $$$. Any thoughts on those 3 combined, or any others that spring to mind?

would also love a jones trouper R with the big cold pocket…sadly another one that may as well not exist in Australia!

I stopped by a store today and they had a sun mountain 2.5+ and a titleist players 4 carbon. The 4 carbon was light but the 2.5 was even lighter with a much larger top opening. Overall pockets seemed to be a wash between the two. I didn’t get to load them up with clubs to see how they carry but if I had to pick I’d gamble on the 2.5.

Still holding out to see if the ping crazelite gets updated,  but either way a lightweight bag with a stand is calling my name for this spring. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2023 at 7:43 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

The Ping bags are awful due to their internal stand system and flexi bottom.  It clumps club grips together.  It is just not acceptable as one of the main design flaws of so many bags.

External stand systems with a solid base are better.  The internal base footprint will function that same then whether the bag is upright, on the ground or on the stand legs.

I agree the straps are good but is not the only deal breaker on a bag but certainly a major consideration and lots of companies get this wrong.

I still think the Mizuno Kilo and SM2.5 are the best out there in terms of getting most of the important design features right.  That is, solid base, external stand mech, good straps which do not twist and offer good padding.  There also absolutely must be a top tee pocket which can be left open all the time for an RF which will not fall out when carrying.  

My KILO is now beginning to show serious signs of wear but it has north of 300 rounds on it and I carry 100% of the time here in the UK, often in appalling weather.  It has been a very good bag.  It now has some proper holes in it though, coming away from the internal structure.  All zips still functional though and although there is wear on the top cuff, it is perfectly acceptable given the amount of round on this bag.  The straps are also the best I have used and barely look worn.

Looking around for a new one, it looks like a choice between another Kilo, Hyperlite (questionable straps) or a SM2.5.  All the others look rubbish to me.

1 hour ago, Cottis said:

The Ping bags are awful due to their internal stand system and flexi bottom.  It clumps club grips together.  It is just not acceptable as one of the main design flaws of so many bags.

External stand systems with a solid base are better.  The internal base footprint will function that same then whether the bag is upright, on the ground or on the stand legs.

I agree the straps are good but is not the only deal breaker on a bag but certainly a major consideration and lots of companies get this wrong.

I still think the Mizuno Kilo and SM2.5 are the best out there in terms of getting most of the important design features right.  That is, solid base, external stand mech, good straps which do not twist and offer good padding.  There also absolutely must be a top tee pocket which can be left open all the time for an RF which will not fall out when carrying.  

My KILO is now beginning to show serious signs of wear but it has north of 300 rounds on it and I carry 100% of the time here in the UK, often in appalling weather.  It has been a very good bag.  It now has some proper holes in it though, coming away from the internal structure.  All zips still functional though and although there is wear on the top cuff, it is perfectly acceptable given the amount of round on this bag.  The straps are also the best I have used and barely look worn.

Looking around for a new one, it looks like a choice between another Kilo, Hyperlite (questionable straps) or a SM2.5.  All the others look rubbish to me.

To each their own….. you stand the bag upright when you load it and the problem is solved. 

Plus the internal stand mechanisms do poorly on push carts and driving carts, which limit their versatility. 

in addition, I don’t know of a single internal mechanism that has broken, while I have seen and heard of multiple external stand systems that have broke. The external stands are more fragile. 

again- you have to do what works for you….. but the SM 2.5 was one of the most uncomfortable bags ever strap wise…. It was difficult to get it to balance well. A few of my buddies have had the same issues. They fixed it a little, but had to tape and doctor their straps. 

Same thing  with the hyperlight and kilo….. maybe those just work for you, but universally the vessel and ping have much more universal strap fits. Even if that means I have to stand my bag upright a little when loading it. Which is second nature with the ping and I don’t even think about it.

You do you….  And do what works for your fit….. but to trash bags with some of the best strap systems around because you prefer external stand systems seems a little narrow ….. multiple threads on this forum address the snag…. There is go e and take with anything in life…… choose your poison. 

we will each value different features that work for us. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, firehole said:

I stopped by a store today and they had a sun mountain 2.5+ and a titleist players 4 carbon. The 4 carbon was light but the 2.5 was even lighter with a much larger top opening. Overall pockets seemed to be a wash between the two. I didn’t get to load them up with clubs to see how they carry but if I had to pick I’d gamble on the 2.5.

Still holding out to see if the ping crazelite gets updated,  but either way a lightweight bag with a stand is calling my name for this spring. 

W sure to load the 2.5 before buying it….. it feels good empty,  ut it tough to get a proper balance once loaded…. I have had multiple people regret buying the 2.5 for this reason. It’s also very thought be user of the external system to load on push carts and rising carts. You have to turn it to the side due to the external stand. It’s like this for the 3.5 and 4.5 as well, e less you have a SM push cart. 

my top recommendation for anyone is to load the bag they think they want to buy with clubs at the store. The walk around. 

every bag feels different once loaded with 18lbs for clubs. This will be the best king you will ever do….. 

also, most have push carts….. load it in the different carts and see how it fits there too, while clubs are loaded in it. 

Edited by T_Golf_23

On 2/22/2023 at 11:54 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

To each their own….. you stand the bag upright when you load it and the problem is solved. 

Plus the internal stand mechanisms do poorly on push carts and driving carts, which limit their versatility. 

in addition, I don’t know of a single internal mechanism that has broken, while I have seen and heard of multiple external stand systems that have broke. The external stands are more fragile. 

again- you have to do what works for you….. but the SM 2.5 was one of the most uncomfortable bags ever strap wise…. It was difficult to get it to balance well. A few of my buddies have had the same issues. They fixed it a little, but had to tape and doctor their straps. 

Same thing  with the hyperlight and kilo….. maybe those just work for you, but universally the vessel and ping have much more universal strap fits. Even if that means I have to stand my bag upright a little when loading it. Which is second nature with the ping and I don’t even think about it.

You do you….  And do what works for your fit….. but to trash bags with some of the best strap systems around because you prefer external stand systems seems a little narrow ….. multiple threads on this forum address the snag…. There is go e and take with anything in life…… choose your poison. 

we will each value different features that work for us. 

Internal mechs may well not break but they are the exact cause of prolific club tangle.  It is fair to critique a bag when basically the result of that design means you cannot have a club slide in and out when the bag is on the ground with the legs out.  That is the exact way in which the bag is meant to be used.  I am not under any circumstance going to stand there, hold the bag vertically while wobbling it around to get the clubs in and out.  I play 300 times a year and remove clubs around 70-80 times on average each round.  That is close to 25,000 club removals a year.  Can you see where I am going with this?  Bags are meant to make your life easier, not harder ha ha ha.

So yeah, they are crap for me but sounds like you are ok with that design flaw.  Everyone can read our take on it and make their own mind up which is why these threads are useful.

The facts remain that the KILO can and does meet all the main criteria of a decent stand bag for a constant walker.  It has not broken mechanism wise (and none of my bags whether internal or external ever have, maybe I have just been lucky) and it allows club removal with ease.  It is incredibly light and pockets and pouches are good enough.  The strap system is briliant because it does not twist and the padding on the shoulders is comfy and still operates how it should after mucho use.  It is also the lightest bag I have picked up and sits in a nice balanced way.  Apart from the limp, fragile looking nature of it and the thin crappy looking material, it is nigh on impossible to find genuine fault with it.  Those limp materials are what makes it so light though.  Everything has a trade off I guess.

I was just looking at the Vice Smart Golfbag.  Staggering that they do not have a drinks pocket?  Very weird.  Yet they have a magnetic RF pocket and the strap system looks decent because the small webbing straps are split up with rings direct to the main body of the centre strap divider which promotes less tangle.  But they have a weird stand system which again looks like it will encourage the compression of club grips.

Maybe we should design a golf bag?

1 hour ago, Cottis said:

Internal mechs may well not break but they are the exact cause of prolific club tangle.  It is fair to critique a bag when basically the result of that design means you cannot have a club slide in and out when the bag is on the ground with the legs out.  That is the exact way in which the bag is meant to be used.  I am not under any circumstance going to stand there, hold the bag vertically while wobbling it around to get the clubs in and out.  I play 300 times a year and remove clubs around 70-80 times on average each round.  That is close to 25,000 club removals a year.  Can you see where I am going with this?  Bags are meant to make your life easier, not harder ha ha ha.

So yeah, they are crap for me but sounds like you are ok with that design flaw.  Everyone can read our take on it and make their own mind up which is why these threads are useful.

The facts remain that the KILO can and does meet all the main criteria of a decent stand bag for a constant walker.  It has not broken mechanism wise (and none of my bags whether internal or external ever have, maybe I have just been lucky) and it allows club removal with ease.  It is incredibly light and pockets and pouches are good enough.  The strap system is briliant because it does not twist and the padding on the shoulders is comfy and still operates how it should after mucho use.  It is also the lightest bag I have picked up and sits in a nice balanced way.  Apart from the limp, fragile looking nature of it and the thin crappy looking material, it is nigh on impossible to find genuine fault with it.  Those limp materials are what makes it so light though.  Everything has a trade off I guess.

I was just looking at the Vice Smart Golfbag.  Staggering that they do not have a drinks pocket?  Very weird.  Yet they have a magnetic RF pocket and the strap system looks decent because the small webbing straps are split up with rings direct to the main body of the centre strap divider which promotes less tangle.  But they have a weird stand system which again looks like it will encourage the compression of club grips.

Maybe we should design a golf bag?

you and I are both making similar statements. Your pints are very valid. And useful. 

The reality is that at this level…. Super light weight bags…. Each bag has some sort of trade off…. The end user needs to decide what works for them….. 

I imagine that bags can be made much better than they are today…, BUT…. The material would make the bag cost prohibitive OR 

if a company designed a perfect bag…. They couldn’t improve on it year after year and keep people buying more in their upgrade cycle…. 

the later us more likely the case…. 

I’m looking to replace my Sun Mountain 2.5. It’s starting to come apart at the base. I’m not sure what year it is, has to be 3 years old at least.

One thing I hate about the Sun Mountain is that it doesn’t fit on my two push carts, a Clickgear Rovic that has my ewheels, an an old Sun Mountain Speed Cart. I also hate the straps, they are always twisted.

I was the local Golfers Warehouse today to look at what’s out there. Bags are not cheap!

I wanted a bag with the internal bag mechanism so it would fit easier in my carts, and I wanted a light bag because I do carry every once in awhile. 

The bags that I saw that looked good were the Cobra Ultralite Sunday, Titleist Players 4 Carbon, and Srixon Ultralight Stand bag.

The Srixon bag the lightest out of all the bags I picked up. Felt even lighter than the SM 2.5. I liked the layout, plenty of pockets, internal stand mechanism, but they only had 1 and it was not a good color combo. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My club's shop has fresh stock in and yesterday I decided to treat myself. Ultimately decided on the 3.5 over the improved 2.5+. The dedicated rangefinder pocket and valuables protection won it over, along with the EZ-Lite straps vs. the X-Strap. Once loaded up the balance felt great and the extra hip padding was something I'd never really considered until I felt it. 

Still going to keep my frankenbag 2.5+ in the basement as a backup bag. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX