2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New 2020 Callaway Chromesoft

tsecor

The Chrome Soft site has a ball selection tool that, after locking up a few times, determined that my best fit was the, humm..., Chrome Soft.

I really would be interested in trying them, except the price has now increased to $48 per dozen, the same as the known-best V1’s and $14 more than what we can currently find TP5’s. IMO Callaway is essentially demanding its own failure by not providing some incentive or method for people to demo them beyond the standard advertising hype.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

34 ish. It’s their buy 3 get one free deal. Check TGW or similar. For me, that’s about a year’s worth of the model I prefer regardless of cost.

I think the main reason that they aren’t using it isn’t because it’s a bad ball, it’s because they don’t trust it. It’s effectively the opposite of the V1. The V1 is absolutely consistent. It’s manufacturing tolerances are the best, and the consistency of response from ball to ball and year to year is unparalleled. Even when the V1 and V1x “flipped” spin characteristics, it was done to maintain playability in the face of changing club and player standards.

The Crome Soft has a history and reputation of variability and questionable manufacturing. The newest model in the link above is advertised as “completely changed in every way possible”. Ehhhh....

I really hope they don’t try. It’s one of the few pieces of golf equipment that, at least for me, is essentially perfect.

What they could do, in case they’re listening, is market them differently. Since they make both clubs and balls, they can tell you exactly and objectively how every ball that they make interacts with every club, down to the individual iron at various swing speeds. Instead of the type of ball selector in the Callaway link, they can predict with high probability how a change in ball or club will change your shot response. IMO anything that cuts through the ambiguity and marketing BS can be a very powerful tool indeed.

• Like 1

the TP5 is very stable when it flies......people talk about wind, well, when you hit the ball 100+ feet in the air, there is ALWAYS wind......to me, the prov is great but not as stable. i can keep the TP5 straighter......i think the new CS will be very good for a lot of people.......if they have another major QC issue, the CS may cease to exist

Way back when, one of the reasons Titleist took hold on the tour, long before endorsement money was being spread around, guys would show up at a tournament to find a couple dozen Titleists waiting for them in their lockers. I obviously don't know if this is the case or not, just throwing it out there, but maybe Callaway isn't willing to spend the kind of endorsement money that Titleist does to have the pros play their balls.

Maxfli were the Kings of wind play for golfballs, back in the day. It's not a surprise then to see TP stuff continuing that, seeing how they bought Maxfli.

Even the HT is/was almost comically good in the wind (I still have a few unused).

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Pretty much exactly that. Fortune Brands has long been at the fore with their ball/shoe/glove contracts. TM was going to make a big move, back in the day, and Titleist responded by cutting back their Tour Pro endorsement funds, putting that into the ball/shoe/glove deals. TM decided not to play bidding war there, and put their efforts into driver tee money.

Makes one wonder how things would have turned out if there had been that bidding war.

Also wonder what would have happened were it not for the earthquake in 1995 that damaged/trashed the Maxfli facility in Japan.

Two things done differently, and the whole landscape could have been vastly different....

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The difference is, Titleist doesnt have to pay people to play their balls. I know they do, but the money is not a lot by any standard. Their product has consistently been the best for years, so their reputatioon stands alone.....but i know the industry is catching up, especially with Bridgestone, Srixon and TM.

LOL, no. Completely disagree. It's not been the best. It never was the best. Really, there is no "best." There is product, and there is personal opinion.

And where Tour Usage is concerned, there is money. You can never discount the effect of money on Tour Usage, especially among the lower part of the money list. Being able to cover your expenses is a huge safety blanket.

Funny thing is, that no one knew that there was a QC issue until Golf Ball Guts and the other adventurists starting to cut golf balls find out. Yet, you have pros on pros winning tournament with them. To the average golfer, like all of us on this forum (none of us are special here and you can't feel an extra 10 RPM on a shanked driver shot between PROV and CS), the ball is fine.

I still say it's all about feel. I know I'll give CS a shot. THe price hike is not ideal but, expected after a full revamp of product.

• Like 1

The pros on tour do not play the same CS as the one at retail. Phil has stated that for years so im sure Phils ball is 100% QC checked.

Also, if you hit a CS off line, the uneven core may have contributed to a poorer shot. At $48 / dzn, i think everyone can agree, they would want a product that is 100% QC verified as center core.....

That’s obvious. But trust that the same machines make their tournament ball. They wouldn’t sub contract out another facility or machine to make the pros ball. No way.

totally agree if you hit it not centered, the ball will take off another way (bulge and roll combine with an off center core...).

I think most of us will try out the ball.

I remember the off center ball but was there ever any determination whether or not this was a "one off" ? Any reasonable estimate of how many, or what percentage of old CS balls were off center ?

And I'm not sure about "recovery mode". Doesn't sound like it to me.

When one gets a black eye in business one usually "makes up for it" by reducing the price, or increasing the quantity of the new and improved product, at least in the short run, in an attempt to bring customers back; certainly not increasing the price.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Numerous examples on social media from #finditcutit

callaway upped their money from $30 million to $50million for plant upgrades. They paid Golf Channel for a puff piece on their ball plant.

The price of their balls has risen with almost every release since the original CS.

They have delayed the release of the csx by a couple months because they are struggling with qc when mass producing it compared to the new cs which just got released for pre order.

Phil has never played the retail ball until this current version and only about 60% of their staff will have a 2020 retail version of ball in play. The tour staff gets the best quality ball, the tightest of tolerances in specs for clubs and further tweaks if needed.

also mas quigley reporter the current csx ball Callaway is only able to produce in small quantities and those are going to the tour staff so there would be minimal to no qc issues with those balls.

Why should you or anyone get what the pros get. The vast majority of golfers don’t need that. Take the left dash prov1x that’s at retail now. It’s been a tour ball for a few years and of all the staffers that titleist has a handful use it/want it. Same for left dot and star versions the the balls. There’s a thread on here about the ball and some like it and some don’t. One person recently posted about losing distance when his swing drops below a certain speed which is faster than the majority of amateurs.

Should manufacturers sell ever version of an iron, wedge or driver that’s available to pros? Callaway has 9+ versions of the mavrik on the conforming list.

SKU management as well as productions costs, retail stock and so on go into decisions on what is brought to retail.

Tour only offering of equipment is nothing new.