Good exercises at the gym for more distance?

17 hours ago, shoot4par said:

Jeff's got some really solid stuff. Hands down best youtube fitness guy! Only guy I watch regularly. 

He's definitely up there.  There's a lot of quality youtube fitness instructors as well.  It just depends what you're looking for and if you can sort through the fluff. 

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 12/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, Daiman said:

I have no idea how professional golfers play so often, but friends say that they take Cardarine.

Today, Cardarine is classified as an illegal substance for human consumption. The supposed benefits of Cardarine are unsubstantiated and undocumented. More importantly, while Cardarine was being researched prior to its advancement to clinical trials, it was discovered that it could cause cancer. We cannot emphasize enough how dangerous this compound is, and should be avoided at all costs. The information provided here regarding Cardarine/GW501616 has been compiled from current clinical and scientific research papers and/or studies.

source: https://www.frontlinealternative.com/danger-of-using-cardarine

6 hours ago, joostin said:

Thanks and sorry if revealing "secrets"!   One thing I want to add is that making gains in swing speed has parallels to gains in the gym:  If you don't train strength or conditioning (or golf or swinging fast) regularly, once you do train consistently, say 3+ times a week, with intent/drive, results will follow.  You can be an experienced lifter (or golfer) and have hit a max weight (or speed) plateau, but if you can find a program to follow that would be best.  A lot of 12 week lifting programs out there, but probably not much for golf.  There's so much to navigate in health and fitness and in golf so pros are there to help if you're stuck in the maze.

A good reference point for golf training lies within baseball training.  Both sports incorporate very similar movements and concepts.  I have clients that play golf, baseball and tennis for a living or play at the collegiate level.  I tailor their programs specifically to their needs however, there is a lot of cross over. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I started Stronglifts 5X5 6 weeks ago. beginning with just the bar (45lbs) as I am a feeble old man having not worked out in years.  Concentrating on form and non injury.  I've already backed off some weight from my pitiful squat as form started getting sloppy.  It's a marathon.

I'm lucky in that I have a squat rack with safety pins and a flat bench that uses the squat rack safety pins in the garage so I can go to failure safely working out alone.  I also have 2" adjustable dumbells and curl bar but haven't started using those, just the 5 main lifts, squat, bench, barbell row, overhead press and deadlift.  I couldn't imagine trying to do this program going to a gym but folks do it.  I'm really enjoying it once I get my lazy bv!! in the garage.  Have not missed a day yet.

Feeling much better and DEFINITELY more pop on my drives golfing twice a month and hitting the range twice a month.  I feel like I could really see some progress if I just started swinging a driver all out on my off days.  As a side benefit I'm more stable so finding the middle more also.  I think I broke my swing radar (long story) so I need to replace it to document numbers.

If you are starting from scratch and are injury free I can recommend this program from my experience.

Edited by sprcoop
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Fit for golf if it hasn’t been mentioned... mike is on Twitter as well... it’s a great program and he’s constantly adding stuff... everything from deadlifts to things you can do in a hotel room.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

doesn't necessarily have to be a gym exercise, but i've been working on grip strength recently. i recall a comment by monte a while back saying his grip strength was "off the charts" (totally paraphrasing) or something like that. i've also noticed that kyle berkshire's fingers kinda look like sausages in recent vids, though that could also be a byproduct of camera distortion. 🤷‍♂️

anyway, i'm using iron mind's "captains of crush" grippers a few times a week during dedicated grip workouts. i plan to work my way up their numbering system. currently waiting for #2 to arrive to see if i can close it.

do any of y'all focus on grip strength as part of your exercise regime?

8 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

doesn't necessarily have to be a gym exercise, but i've been working on grip strength recently. i recall a comment by monte a while back saying his grip strength was "off the charts" (totally paraphrasing) or something like that. i've also noticed that kyle berkshire's fingers kinda look like sausages in recent vids, though that could also be a byproduct of camera distortion. 🤷‍♂️

anyway, i'm using iron mind's "captains of crush" grippers a few times a week during dedicated grip workouts. i plan to work my way up their numbering system. currently waiting for #2 to arrive to see if i can close it.

do any of y'all focus on grip strength as part of your exercise regime?

The classic lifting answer would be, if you’re holding onto a heavy bar, or chinning, and not using straps, your grip will get a great workout..

These days, I’m really on the side of callisthenics and flexibility. That’s going to get you to 99% of your distance potential if you’re doing everything you can at the range 

10 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

The classic lifting answer would be, if you’re holding onto a heavy bar, or chinning, and not using straps, your grip will get a great workout..

These days, I’m really on the side of callisthenics and flexibility. That’s going to get you to 99% of your distance potential if you’re doing everything you can at the range 

i get what you're saying but i can guess where you pulled that 99% figure out of 😜 #hyperbole

don't sleep on grip training. the stuff i'm doing increases strength for hands, wrists, forearms, triceps, chest, and shoulders. i don't know what % of power in the golf swing those muscles contribute but i'm willing to bet it's non-negligible. 

• 1 year later...

Most important thing is just get in the gym and do anything to improve fitness vs what to do at gym.  Biggest issue is not going regularly.  I go everyday, today gonna swim 🏊‍♂️

Eventually you're gonna do useful stuff for golf.... if you're going often its useful even if you go and sit on the recumbent bike without peddling and watch TV lol.... which some do cause but at least gets you in habit of going which is the most important thang🐔

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 12/3/2020 at 1:40 PM, Daiman said:

I've read, that the predominant movement in preparation for golf should be abducted - work shoulder and wrist joints, trunk movements, and movements in the hip and ankle joints. Swimming is comfortable for me, it will develop all these joints and put special emphasis on the hands. I also do the usual set of flexibility workouts. All this helps me to develop endurance in the playing, because when I played the first time and walked about 7-8 km during the round, I was very tired and my body ached the next day. I have no idea how professional golfers play so often, but friends say that they take Cardarine. In any case, I see results from my golf training, and I am very happy about it.

I agree with the bold but not so much swimming develops those areas.  Muscle strength and flexibility are key.  Even today, at my age I still do 120 stomach crunches with 80lbs on the chest, plus all sorts of sets of weights to address those areas. 

That's not to say, swimming is unproductive, it's to say, it's too slow of a strengthening process to keep up with the regular demands of performing good golf.  I have been going to the gym and cycling up to 100mi a day, and creating my own regimes since my football days, and self-taught golfer that reached a 2index, now 3-4.  At my golf peak, I was playing golf 3-4 times a week plus range practiced of up to 1400 balls per week, hitting the gym 3-4 times per week plus CAT road cycle training to 100mi.  Walked 18 holes too many times to recount, and 36 holes on Sundays finishing tournaments.

What's always entertaining are trainers that talk the talk, but seldom walk the walk in sports competition.  Keep at it. 🙂

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

21 hours ago, tanasehansen said:

My usual workout mainly consists of cat camel stretches, side step-ups, and lunges with rotation. It helps to stay fit and keep all the muscles necessary for golfing active.
Good exercise does influence the results of the game because it can make you stronger, more active, and more attentive. Golf is a sport, too, and it requires the body to be healthy and fit, unlike many people tend to think.
I even take supplements from purerawz.co to help my body grow muscle tissue and recover after workouts and games. It’s not obligatory, but I recommend it to anyone interested in professional golfing.

I was with you until you mentioned the supplement site..........

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

5 hours ago, aggiegolfer21 said:

Dumbbell Bench Press, cable oblique twists, pull ups (lat pull downs if you can't do a pull up), and squats.  I would also change from planks to sit ups or cable ab pull downs - it's important to do dynamic exercises rather than static exercises for golf.

While I agree with you about dynamic vs static work, side planks are really worth doing for golfers.  Planks are a great core exercise that unlike sit-ups puts little or no stress on the lower back.  Planks also are great for the obliques, which is not easy to do without injury risk.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, aggiegolfer21 said:

Dumbbell Bench Press, cable oblique twists, pull ups (lat pull downs if you can't do a pull up), and squats.  I would also change from planks to sit ups or cable ab pull downs - it's important to do dynamic exercises rather than static exercises for golf.

You should actually do both for golf.  For example, squats, dead lifts and any chest press are all static exercises and important for golf. 

Edited by phizzy30

On 12/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, phizzy30 said:

You should actually do both for golf.  For example, squats, dead lifts and any chest press are all static exercises and important for golf. 

Squats, dead lifts, and chest press are not static exercises.  The joints are moving in each exercise.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:48 PM, bluedot said:

While I agree with you about dynamic vs static work, side planks are really worth doing for golfers.  Planks are a great core exercise that unlike sit-ups puts little or no stress on the lower back.  Planks also are great for the obliques, which is not easy to do without injury risk.

I would just turn side planks into side hip raises to make it dynamic.  For the obliques, I would start by doing the cable oblique twists explosively at a light weight.  This should decrease risk of injury while still developing fast twitch muscle.

Just now, aggiegolfer21 said:

Squats, dead lifts, and chest press are not static exercises.  The joints are moving in each exercise.

You're right.  I was typing the previous post while on a phone call with one of my clients so I didn't have time to process everything.  I still stand by my statement that both static and dynamic exercises are necessary for golf.  As @bluedot mentioned, planks should be done for golf.  It stabilizes the core, but more specifically, the obliques which need that stabilization as you rotate your shoulders in the back swing.  Another exercise which I do myself and show my clients who play sports is to stand on a bosu ball on one leg then get in the superman position and hold for 30 seconds.  It stabilizes the hips which is obviously very important for the swing. 

Edited by phizzy30

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You're right.  I was typing the previous post while on a phone call with one of my clients so I didn't have time to process everything.  I still stand by my statement that both static and dynamic exercises are necessary for golf.  As @bluedot mentioned, planks should be done for golf.  It stabilizes the core, but more specifically, the obliques which need that stabilization as you rotate your shoulders in the back swing.  Another exercise which I do myself and show my clients who play sports is to stand on a bosu ball on one leg then get in the superman position and hold for 30 seconds.  It stabilizes the hips which is obviously very important for the swing. 

No worries, and I can see what you're saying.  However, this thread is about generating speed which is why I am recommending dynamic exercises.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aggiegolfer21 said:

No worries, and I can see what you're saying.  However, this thread is about generating speed which is why I am recommending dynamic exercises.

There is a slippery slope here.  The first thing ANY golfer who wants to add speed has to do is figure out what currently prevents more speed, and then how to SAFELY add speed.

Putting aside technique, which IMO is the biggest single limitation on swing speed for most golfers, a good golf workout program has to account for both speed, but also a level of overall fitness that will prevent injuries.

Using side planks as a very simple example, it’s true that in and of themselves, planks are static and aren’t going to add speed.  But the benefits from planks will go a long, long way to not only helping your body stay in posture while swinging a golf club, but will help you swing faster over time with less injury risk.  

If you read the Super Speed thread, there are a lot of stories of getting hurt doing those protocols.  Part of that is because the protocols themselves are all wrong, but a lot of it is that the guys doing the protocols just aren’t physically prepared for either the speed they are trying to achieve or the reps they are performing to get there. 

Speed gains aside, a good golf swing is an explosive movement that asks a lot of the human body.  Adding speed only intensifies that, and a golf workout program designed to add speed is going to involve a bunch of stuff that doesn’t look anything like the golf swing, such as planks.

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed is a recurring theme among various resources I've been looking into is that you want to train with "maximal intent".  Basically, move the weights concentrically as fast as you can, regardless of resistance.  This includes light warm up sets and heavy working sets.  This appears to be supported by studies as well and I haven't been able to find contradictory evidence to it either.  The heavier the resistance, the slower the load is going to move -- but that's perfectly fine.  As long as the intent is to move that particular weight concentrically as fast as you can, that is maximal intent.  This also doesn't mean you get sloppy with technique (especially with light weights) -- you still need to "control" the resistance, if you will.  For really heavy weights, maximal intent is basically the only way that weight is being moved, but for submaximal training (where most of one's lifting should be anyways) it's easy get in the habit of just moving the weight "fast enough" to complete the rep, so this is where maximal intent could be most beneficial.

Of course, it should be noted that I this applies to the concentric part of a movement.  This is the part of the movement where you attempt to move the weight against the direction of the resistance -- this is the "push" in a bench press or the "pull" in a row.  There is evidence that there can be benefits to isometric movements (movements where you are stationary under tension) and slow eccentrics (the part of the movement where you are moving with the direction of resistance -- like the down part of a bench press).  This is NOT contradictory to fast concentric movements either as eccentric and isometric training can be critical to training your body on how to decelerate after an explosive movement.  Bottom line though, is that all signs are pointing towards you wanting to move concentrically as fast as you can.

For someone looking to get (back) into lifting, though, you don't need to overcomplicate it though as you'll get good gains regardless (assuming you stick with it).  Learn good technique and try to move the weights with maximal intent.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 6:51 AM, SirFuego said:

One thing I've noticed is a recurring theme among various resources I've been looking into is that you want to train with "maximal intent".  Basically, move the weights concentrically as fast as you can, regardless of resistance.  This includes light warm up sets and heavy working sets.  This appears to be supported by studies as well and I haven't been able to find contradictory evidence to it either.  The heavier the resistance, the slower the load is going to move -- but that's perfectly fine.  As long as the intent is to move that particular weight concentrically as fast as you can, that is maximal intent.  This also doesn't mean you get sloppy with technique (especially with light weights) -- you still need to "control" the resistance, if you will.  For really heavy weights, maximal intent is basically the only way that weight is being moved, but for submaximal training (where most of one's lifting should be anyways) it's easy get in the habit of just moving the weight "fast enough" to complete the rep, so this is where maximal intent could be most beneficial.

Of course, it should be noted that I this applies to the concentric part of a movement.  This is the part of the movement where you attempt to move the weight against the direction of the resistance -- this is the "push" in a bench press or the "pull" in a row.  There is evidence that there can be benefits to isometric movements (movements where you are stationary under tension) and slow eccentrics (the part of the movement where you are moving with the direction of resistance -- like the down part of a bench press).  This is NOT contradictory to fast concentric movements either as eccentric and isometric training can be critical to training your body on how to decelerate after an explosive movement.  Bottom line though, is that all signs are pointing towards you wanting to move concentrically as fast as you can.

For someone looking to get (back) into lifting, though, you don't need to overcomplicate it though as you'll get good gains regardless (assuming you stick with it).  Learn good technique and try to move the weights with maximal intent.

Totally agree. I reprogrammed my workouts this year to focus on concentric max intent (most moves are still slow tempo eccentric phase) with as heavy a load as possible that fails at 6-8 reps. I'm spending less time and getting better results.

FWIW... I also incorporate the same strategy for non-resistance (pure cardio) training - max intensity sprints.

4 hours ago, Trippels said:

Either he saying these are his 10 rep maxes, or the strength level needed for world record ballspeed is significantly lower than I thought

Screenshot_20221225-112932.png

At least he's being honest.  Most of the WLD guys lift power lifting style but aren't super human strong with the exception of guys like Ryan Steenberg and Jason Zuback back in the days.  I've been telling all you guys all along that you don't have to be in the 1k+ club to hit the ball a long way.  It's more about the activation of Type II fibers from doing explosive movements and flexibility.