2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Torn on iron fitting

Golferguy209

Hey all,

I need a bit of help. So I’ve been playing golf for nearly 20 years, since age 10, and have never had a proper iron fitting. Currently playing cobra pro cb/mb with project x 6.0 that were released in 2008/2009. They’ve worked for me but now I feel I’m in a spot financially to upgrade my irons.

So I got fitted at local shop that came highly recommended. Going into the fitting I was a bit nervous because I’ve been working through some swing faults. After working through my 7 iron, the fitter first started by trying to zero in on my shaft. Ended up the project x 6.0 was perfect for my swing. Now the head, eventually settled on Callaway apex pro with titleist t100s being a close second. Numbers showed I had the lowest spin without giving up distance on apex pro. Initially I was shocked, I wasn’t really looking at the apex pro going into the fitting. I had been thinking about maybe titleist, mizuno or taylormade. Since the fitting I’ve been watching and reading videos on apex pro, and reviews are good. I’m torn between apex pro and t100. Here was problem with fitting, I didn’t try any cobra heads, jpx919, t100 head wasn’t in the shop (from what I’ve read there is a difference between t100 and t100s), and taylormade p730 was just discontinued.

My thought is to go to a different fitter, thinking Haggin Oaks in Sacramento area, and try again. In the mean time, I’m still working on my confidence with irons and trying to schedule a lesson.

Any advice you have would be great!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's stuff that you wanted to try and didn't get a chance to try because it wasn't in the shop, go find somewhere to hit it. Otherwise you're going to buy one of these two, but always have a bug in your ear about it, and then will re-buy and re-buy and trade and get into the never ending cycle of club ho'ing. Do it right this time.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

So you got fit, hit the Apex Pros well but now are doubting? If you have brand preferences or whatever, tell your fitter, or play with what you have.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I made the $1800 mistake of trying to go against what the fitter recommended for my preferred brand. Had preference for Titleist over Mizuno. Bought Titleist for looks, but ended up selling and buying the recommended set of Mizuno. When fitter is working with you suggest preferred brand, but you may find a better fit in another. If altering head and using shaft fitted for in other head, you may see variable results.

It's an adage as old as time; measure twice, cut once.

MOST fitters are very good at what they do (I'm referring to ACTUAL fitters, not some $15/hour dude at Dick's, though some of them are very, very good as well). Clubs are not cheap. Take your time and do it right the first time, because as stated above, you end up chasing the dragon if done wrong. There is literally no downside to getting a second opinion. Ideally, the second fitter puts you in exactly what the first fitter recommended and will only solidify your decision, thus instilling more confidence.

All that being said, you are ultimately the one who has to swing them. So if you're not on board with it, pause and re-assess.

What's in the Bag
Driver - TaylorMade R11tp 8*, Fujikura Blur 65X
3 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 13.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

5 Wood - Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5*, Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X
Hybrid - TaylorMade R11tp 16*, Aldila RIP 85X
Irons - Titleist 620 CB (3-6), 620 MB (7-9), DynaGold X100
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D, DynaGold X100
Putter - Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball - Titleist ProV1x

But he didn't really get to try out all the offerings currently available out there, so of course he would/should have doubts. Unless you are going to a stand alone OEM fitting where you know you will 'only' hit what they offer, I would want to try pretty well everything within reason under the sun if going to a fitting studio. I guess we are a little spoiled with having TXG and Modern here in the GTA that have a ton of choices.

I'm also curious on the 'lowest spin without giving up distance' statement he made. I understand that we are in a moonball flight, lower spin, steep decent angle design era, but I would want the most spin I can get without sacrificing distance/control (wind play/ballooning).

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

With 7 iron on apex pro my spin was about 6200 and average distance around 170. Current set was spinning closer to 7200 with 7 iron. I wish I asked for a copy of my numbers between all clubs.

I really appreciate everyone’s opinion. I was curious about the feel of long irons of both clubs and went to pga superstore to get a feel. Tried 4 iron in apex pro and t100, t100 4 iron felt more solid in comparison.

I do have brand bias towards titleist.?

@Golferguy209, you told us up front: "So I’ve been playing golf for nearly 20 years, since age 10, and have never had a proper iron fitting..."
if you have played those Cobras for a decade with decent results, the Callaway and Titleist heads may look a bit strange to you at first.
Even though the Trackman numbers may be good, they don't give you the comfort zone of the Cobras. And, it appears you want to try other OEM irons. Perfectly natural, since this is your first fitting cycle ever.
Go out, and try some other models also. In the end, you will find two or three irons models which pretty much are tied for best Trackman numbers. From there, you pick the one that gives you the most confidence over the ball. You need to have peace of mind with the clubs you select.
Then, line up the shot and let it happen. Military Special Ops people refer to this as "Trust your training."

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Those Cobras are great set..so no hurry here..im not buying the low spin bs..and you liked the 4i T100..borrow a full set!

As other said,test more and your shaft is sorted so its just the Heads...if your 30yrs old you have distance, so accuracy and more greens in reg is the Goal?

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

To @Golferguy209 Its unlikely you're going to find a fitter/shop that has all the latest heads and shafts with fitting adapters; it's too costly for most of them to stock.
You might check with green grass locations to see if they have specific club heads including Apex Pro that you can hit outside.
I've heard Apex Pro heads are not the best at turf interaction, may needs some shaving. I played PX 6.0 for years in Callaway original X-forged heads from 2006-2017 (still in the garage), similar design only 2* weaker lofts to Apex Pro. IMO - Callaway Apex Pro price seems to have more flexibility, might be due to their stock Elevate shaft. Not as likely with Titleist T-series. If you already have PX shafts in another set, might save a few bucks by buying Apex Pro with stock shafts and have a guy pull them and stick the PX 6.0 in. Also, AMT Tour White shafts in T100 are better off the shelve, IMO. Good luck.
@ChipNRun - Were you in SOG?

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I’d see another fitter on the sole idea that you don’t get to try irons in the same real category as what you have and are hitting now. . Doesn’t sound like you hit your current set much During the fitting ? That needs to happen to , for comparisons sake. I’d look hard for a place with grass. It’s hard to do but the results are often way different

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The best fitting I ever had was in 1999, outdoors on a driving range by a guy who’d been doing it for 20+ years. He used a launch monitor which was new to me in 1999 and told me that seeing the flight of the golf ball was more important to him, than the numbers. He said the numbers helped to confirm what his eyes told him. I still play those irons (1-degree flat). I’ve been fitted for other irons but the closest I’ve come to replacing my 21-year old clubs is with the Mizuno JPX. My advice is to get fit outdoors with the latest technologies. Try every brand of interest. If the fitter is good at what they do, you won’t be disappointed.