Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

3 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

What is the reason for the chunking and fat shots initially?

That's probably different for everyone....I can say for myself it's when I get into the cast A position with good right elbow position, then re-cocked to hit the ball and let my right elbow fly out which leads to getting my arms stuck behind my body. 

43 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

What is the reason for the chunking and fat shots initially?

could just be adjusting to a shallower attack angle.  If that's not it, you could be dropping the trail shoulder in transition.  Either way, chunks and thin shots are common for a bit until you adapt.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

On 9/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, me05501 said:

This guy is saying a lot of the same things...that the release starts from the top and it's pointless to try to "hold lag."

Jeez, already have this guy touted in the thread, lol, no need to repeat it. ?

Just trying to sell a "speed whoosh", lol,  and not even close to saying a few of the same things - "release starts from the top" and pointless to hold lag don't scratch the surface of what Monte is talking about in his video.  But hey look, some other guy is on YouTube talking about golf.

1 hour ago, ferrispgm said:

could just be adjusting to a shallower attack angle.  If that's not it, you could be dropping the trail shoulder in transition.  Either way, chunks and thin shots are common for a bit until you adapt.

Yep.  You can get some funny looks on the range acting like you are cool with a topped hook or a chunk because it's just part of the drill sometimes, lol.  I was trying a little of this yesterday while warming up behind a guy.  He never said anything, but I caught him turning and looking a couple times, lol, and I'm sure wondering what the heck was going on with the Tin Cup guy behind him (okay, I wasn't all that cool and a couple of naughty words were whispered).  Tried a full swing 6i with just a bit of the feel I need with my wrists and hips and . . . . towering 6i with a beautiful sound!  He was headed up the hill to his cart and apparently turned around when he heard it because, of course, I looked back to see whether anyone saw this wonderful shot, haha - I got a smile and a thumbs up! 

Of course, the swing isn't on video, who knows what I did, but damn it was real (definitely different) and it was spectacular!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Monte is having an Instagram Live session this evening.  He did many, and some with cool guests, during the dark days earlier in the spring/summer and they were pretty entertaining.

This one is dedicated to NTC!

Are you sure it's tonight? His Instagram account has one for 9/18. Maybe that's a different one...

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

No, why?

Struggling is too strong of a word, but there's been times it's hard for me to funnel the cast through my left or right hand as a feel. Just curious what others have found helpful.  Both wrists are moving (right extends, left in flexion), figure people are focusing on one or the other.

Edited by JayMas
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, JayMas said:

Struggling is too strong of a word, but there's been times it's hard for me to funnel the cast through my left or right hand as a feel. Just curious what others have found helpful.  Both wrists are moving (right extends, left in flexion), figure people are focusing on one or the other.

That’s cast number 2.  Which one you feel is personal as is when.  Have to get a decent backswing and #1 correct first.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Monte’s NTC swing has helped my ball striking (the weakness in my game).   I had a tendency to “drag the handle” through the impact zone, especially when trying to swing my driver faster.   There’s nothing more frustrating than hitting the ball in the middle of the club face, but have the club face open and slice your tee ball OB.

As an analytical person, I’ve always been searching for the right swing method, often switching when one method doesn’t pan out.   I’ve gone thru MDLT, Waldron’s ASI, and numerous other golf swing theories.   What I like about the NTC method is that I’m not bound up with thinking about body positions during the swing.   The NTC method, at least to me, is a hands-based swing where the wrist conditions control the club face.   I feel like I have more control of my hands than any other body part.

My iron shots are now much higher flying with the NTC swing.   This was a particular weakness of mine, especially with the mid irons.   

I haven’t noticed a significant increase in driving distance.   But, I am still working on integrating the NTC concepts with my driver.   Most of all, I am learning how hard to go with cast A so that it synchs with my weight shift and turn.   If I cast too hard/fast, I have a tendency to hit some big hooks as my hands outrace my body.   So, with the driver, I have been swinging it smoothly for the best results.

• Like 1

Played NTC again today 

Started excellently and was 2 over after 11 with 1 birdie and 3 bogies

Then had a couple of double bogies due to getting hooky with the driver and a toed iron into the water

The hooks generally stayed with the driver for the rest of the round but still managed pars and bogies on the run home 

Finished 9 over 81 with a 38 followed by a 43

Very happy with the long game under NTC. The hooks could easily be setting up a bit closed as that is an ongoing alignment issue and my old swing setup tended towards a closed face whereas NTC for me needs to tend towards an open face

Chipped well too with an NTC approach - same backswing approach of starting back with the hands/wrist while the arms and body only react to support the clubhead movement and actively casting back to the  ball (maybe the B cast? - I've asked Monte about NTC and the short game for next week's IG live so hopefully he will give his thoughts)

Really hopeful with NTC

12 hours ago, chigolfer1 said:

Is Cast B essentially teaching a "roll release,"  which really just means a proper release vs. holding it off?    Or, am I missing more to it?

That’s definitely not how I interpret it - although I don’t need to focus much at all on cast B it seems...

Cast B to me seems to be more referring to the measured reality of a golfers left wrist flexing, going from flexed towards the inside of your forearm ‘bowed’ and extending so that at impact it’s flat and extended after  - that’s not a wrist/forearm roll at all.

i.e left wrist goign from flexion to extension, as opposed to supination and pronation being the wrist/forearm roll

image.jpeg.573624eac5e813656c19024122108363.jpeg

Edited by coops
  • Like 2

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Adding to what @coops said, I think of Vijay "back in the day."  Check it out:

image.png.eb484478d0181fb48a0a2d172c995c6c.png

However, I would also call attention to the start of the Cast B drill, where Monte states that a key part of the drill is to create awareness of how the body works and responds as part of that drill.

13 hours ago, chigolfer1 said:

Is Cast B essentially teaching a "roll release,"  which really just means a proper release vs. holding it off?    Or, am I missing more to it?

So staggered that someone thought cast B was wrist rolling, i went back and rewatched the cast B instruction.

At 1:10... all about the wrist extension happening and not forearm rolling...” not creating clubface rotation”

• Like 2

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

monte doesn’t talk about  this in his  video but both casts involve the trail elbow extending.   In the first cast it is slight and coupled with a move to connect the arm to the pivot (going to vary depending on backswing) and a touch of movement to external rotation of the shoulder.    The second cast involves the arm getting in front and completing the extension  after impact.      A danger, IMO, is folks in an attempt to get the second cast will use the trail shoulder - going into internal rotation, either cause they are stuck or with a intent to get a forearm roll.     If you get the first cast correct then the second cast, as monte has talked about, should be a reaction more than a conscious movement.     

tyler calls this movement thru release the wipe.   Here is one of his videos on the movement.  One can make very short swing, single arm or both, to educate the trail arm in this movement.  I like this drill and couple it with an intent to hit the ball with my shoulder.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

4 hours ago, coops said:

That’s definitely not how I interpret it - although I don’t need to focus much at all on cast B it seems...

Cast B to me seems to be more referring to the measured reality of a golfers left wrist flexing, going from flexed towards the inside of your forearm ‘bowed’ and extending so that at impact it’s flat and extended after  - that’s not a wrist/forearm roll at all.

i.e left wrist goign from flexion to extension, as opposed to supination and pronation being the wrist/forearm roll

image.jpeg.573624eac5e813656c19024122108363.jpeg

Understand, I was sort of including the above in my statement, because you can still do the above and hold of the left forearm externally rotating, Spieth style, whereas in the demo it's more of a left forearm supination

Edited by chigolfer1

3 hours ago, coops said:

So staggered that someone thought cast B was wrist rolling, i went back and rewatched the cast B instruction.

At 1:10... all about the wrist extension happening and not forearm rolling...” not creating clubface rotation”

Wrist rolling?   To me it looks essentially like this.  Good explanation starts at 40s.

The reason I am making a point of this is that I am a lifetime OTT'r who has never really "released" the club, which in this sense mean getting that left forearm supination per the 40s mark.  Because, if I did, I would have hit it 50 yards left.  But, now that I am not OTT and shallower, I need that.    Now, maybe cast B has nothing to do with this either way and is only wrist angles and it is sort of assumed players will "release" the club as well with the forearm supination.  But, per above, in my case, I have not done that and Tyler mentions that below about high handicapers.

Edited by chigolfer1
  • Like 2